The Official Calgary Flames Doom and Gloom Thread

jjgallow

Brought to you by:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYeJZ8tKd6JqtphFvxtCm

Hi there, I just felt we really had a need for one thread to fully support those angry, desperation messages of hopelessness out there.  A Safe place for completely negative, unfounded, criticisms.   

In the last few days, there has been a lot of negativity, I know.  But it begs the question...are there ways that we could be even more negative?   Maybe if we all work together?

If we're going to hit rock bottom we might as well just smash that rock right to pieces with conspiracy theories, conjecture, bad omens and long endless looping discussions that go nowhere.  Maybe all we need is the right environment?

Also sponsored by:

USATSI_19217052-1024x705.jpg

7adfkjly02o41.jpg

iutsyvvpyng11.jpg

Dsual1OU8AAhmMj.jpg

BL9sUSbCYAAl3i5.jpg

CGY-Kevin%20Bettman.jpg?w=1040&quality=7

jay-feaster-flames.png

fSemwkM.png

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

You missed Savard and Hull. 

yeah I couldn't decide if Savard made the cut, and Hull came with baggage so, to this day it's debatable lol.  But I do agree.

I left out Doug.   still don't like thinking about that.

I remember when Gary Leeman was struggling they tried to do some good press on him and put out an entire article on how good he was at darts.  Apparently very good at it lol.

Nowadays, he would have been identified as a concussion victim long before the trade.   but back then we just thought he must be okay because he's still good at darts.

29 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

The picture of Feaster gave me PTSD.

In all seriousness I've only been watching hockey since the early 2000s so to me its a toss-up between Sutter and Feaster for worst GM in Flames history

Sutter's first two years were great though.  Traded 2nd round picks for Kiprusoff, Bourque, Nilson, Huselius?, etc.  Those trades were legendary.  I only wish he also traded our 1sts.  What could have been instead of keeping the picks and drafting garbage.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Sutter's first two years were great though.  Traded 2nd round picks for Kiprusoff, Bourque, Nilson, Huselius?, etc.  Those trades were legendary.  I only wish he also traded our 1sts.  What could have been instead of keeping the picks and drafting garbage.

Yeah, probably Feaster as the worst then.

Aside from those particular moves though Sutter had some head scratchers as far as draft picks and *ugh* that Phaneuf trade.

19 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Aside from those particular moves though Sutter had some head scratchers as far as draft picks and *ugh* that Phaneuf trade.

I feel that any GM who has ever done a 5-player trade here is on that list.

55 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

doug Risebrough!!! Put Calgary on the downward trajectory and has barely looked normal a few seasons ever since.

the trade legitimized Toronto instantly. 

Blockchaining hell!

Going to Toronto were DOUG BlockchainING GILMOUR! JAIME MACOUN, Ric Nattress, Rick Wamsley, and Kent Manderville.

The key players in the deal were Gilmour and Leeman.

Going to Calgary were Gary Leeman, Alex Godynyuk, Jeff Reese, Craig Berube and Michel Petit

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I feel that any GM who has ever done a 5-player trade here is on that list.

Le sigh.

We traded a D that ended up with more PIMs than points here and a player that had a career year we couldn't afford to re-sign.

Aren't you happy we didn't try to retain pending UFA Ferland and pay what VAN did?  

Without that trade, we don't have a top line C (or RW when he was there).

Fox was never signing here, so it was a question of how much we get for him in a seperate deal.

Rags knew they could dangle very little to us; at least CAR had some leverage with the same division higher price.

Trading a player that would only ever play for one team not named the Flames doesn't make you a worse team.

46 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Le sigh.

We traded a D that ended up with more PIMs than points here and a player that had a career year we couldn't afford to re-sign.

Aren't you happy we didn't try to retain pending UFA Ferland and pay what VAN did?  

Without that trade, we don't have a top line C (or RW when he was there).

Fox was never signing here, so it was a question of how much we get for him in a seperate deal.

Rags knew they could dangle very little to us; at least CAR had some leverage with the same division higher price.

Trading a player that would only ever play for one team not named the Flames doesn't make you a worse team.

If only we had an organization which was able to realize this obvious fact much earlier, rather than pretending they always knew.

Lindros was never going to sign with Quebec.  They did okay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

If only we had an organization which was able to realize this obvious fact much earlier, rather than pretending they always knew.

Lindros was never going to sign with Quebec.  They did okay.

Like when?  When he was at Dev camp after year 1 of Harvard, he talked about not rushing his development.

Said the Flames had great prospects and good D on the team.

There was no inkling at that time he wouldn't sign.

End of year 2 they wanted to sign him and he balked.

Then they traded him.

I guess the obvious thing is that a player from NY state near NYC that went to Harvard is always going to sign with the Rags.

Ooops, forgot about our newest Harvard player.

Coronato said he wanted to sign with the Flames and signed with the Flames.

Born very close to NYC.

They probably lived about 10 miles apart when they were growing up.

Hard to figure...

What is the direction we are going?

What direction can we afford to go?

Would the powers that be even let us go in a different direction?

Flames need a quality GM and quick.

Flames need a GM with ability to make the moves he sees fit.

Flames need a GM with the balls to fire/trade anyone.

Can't remember this many players not willing to "do it" for the team.

Take Backs for example... He already signed 2 team friendly contracts for this organization...

I don't think I have ever seen the Flames this dysfunctional. You have to give the players hope..  or

a sign that things will change for the better

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

A letter from a season ticket holder that indicated to the Flames that they will not be renewing.  They were told to pause that decision with a new GM and exciting prospects coming from the AHL team.  This was their letter back....

We looked into getting tickets for the season last year, but it wasn't in the cards. In retrospect, I'm really happy that it didn't work out.

I am irrationally angry about the Matthew Phillips thing. I was listening to Steinberg yesterday, and he asked what was really good about the season. Wills said that it was the success of the Wranglers. I think he's right about that, and they discussed several of the players there that have had a great deal of success this year. They discussed the possibility that Phillips could be the MVP.

Again, I realize he may never have an NHL career, but the unwillingness to try these guys at the NHL level when the big club is in the shape that it is was absolutely infuriating. I watched that kid skate at WinSport probably 20 times this season, and I just don't know what more you could ask of the guy. If Mitch Love ends up behind the Flames bench, I wonder if he'd play a prospect like that.

Love.

• Like 2

That is a great letter. I am a season ticket holder and for the first time in 12 years I am thinking I wont' renew and have a similar email que'd up to send.

Getting too frustrated with the direction of this team and quite frankily i'm just fed up with Murray Edwards. I'm having a hard time giving him any money. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That is a great letter. I am a season ticket holder and for the first time in 12 years I am thinking I wont' renew and have a similar email que'd up to send.

Getting too frustrated with the direction of this team and quite frankily i'm just fed up with Murray Edwards. I'm having a hard time giving him any money. 

Are you concerned at all that if you give up your tickets, there will just be someone behind you that'll snatch them up? I don't think that there's a lineup anymore (we didn't have any trouble last year when we looked into it), but this type of action doesn't work in some markets, like Toronto, for example because the demand always outweighs the supply. 

Love.

59 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Are you concerned at all that if you give up your tickets, there will just be someone behind you that'll snatch them up? I don't think that there's a lineup anymore (we didn't have any trouble last year when we looked into it), but this type of action doesn't work in some markets, like Toronto, for example because the demand always outweighs the supply. 

Love.

My seats for sure would get scooped up so that is part of it. I love my seats. 

I'm less concerned about getting back in if/when I want. I think the demand has fallen quite a bit to the point where I (and others I know who had STH) were bascially having to give games away last year. 

a playoff run will increase the demand but it's been many many years since the wait list existed so I feel getting back in would not be the problem. My debate is do I lose my seats and my STH priority and how do my kids handle the news as they love going to games. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

We looked into getting tickets for the season last year, but it wasn't in the cards. In retrospect, I'm really happy that it didn't work out.

I am irrationally angry about the Matthew Phillips thing. I was listening to Steinberg yesterday, and he asked what was really good about the season. Wills said that it was the success of the Wranglers. I think he's right about that, and they discussed several of the players there that have had a great deal of success this year. They discussed the possibility that Phillips could be the MVP.

Again, I realize he may never have an NHL career, but the unwillingness to try these guys at the NHL level when the big club is in the shape that it is was absolutely infuriating. I watched that kid skate at WinSport probably 20 times this season, and I just don't know what more you could ask of the guy. If Mitch Love ends up behind the Flames bench, I wonder if he'd play a prospect like that.

Love.

Phillips and Pelletier's treatment exactly match the way Sutter manages young players.  

He slots them in certain spots but doesn't make that decision based on their skills.

When they make a mistake, they sit back down.

Wolf ended up at AHL MVP and top goalie in the AHL.

Doesn't matter, the game is different here.

Bla, bla, bla.