The Official Calgary Flames Doom and Gloom Thread

jjgallow

Listening to the Barn Burner. They talked about the 2004 team and had him reminisce about it. It was game 7 of the Canucks series anniversary the other day.

Rhett brought up Sutter's handing of fame 7 vs the Canucks and that they won despite of him. He was more angry at being taken out for Leopold. Leo was the one that missed his assignment that tied the game to put it into OT. Rhett felt he was the wrong choice given they were defending the lead. 

the other part, Rhett mentioned how Sutter has not changed since then. They go into '04 as a young crew and is forced to play these young kids and then gets them to nearly finishing the Stanley Cup... Then once made GM, starts to trade out these young kids did vets. 

Rhett said even then it was showing signs of the league getting young and also having a team that nearly goes all the way and still not old enough for coach.... 

25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Listening to the Barn Burner. They talked about the 2004 team and had him reminisce about it. It was game 7 of the Canucks series anniversary the other day.

Rhett brought up Sutter's handing of fame 7 vs the Canucks and that they won despite of him. He was more angry at being taken out for Leopold. Leo was the one that missed his assignment that tied the game to put it into OT. Rhett felt he was the wrong choice given they were defending the lead. 

the other part, Rhett mentioned how Sutter has not changed since then. They go into '04 as a young crew and is forced to play these young kids and then gets them to nearly finishing the Stanley Cup... Then once made GM, starts to trade out these young kids did vets. 

Rhett said even then it was showing signs of the league getting young and also having a team that nearly goes all the way and still not old enough for coach.... 

You have a lot of patience to listen to these guys.  At times they echo what fans say.  But what doesn't make sense about the exchange is that Sutter would play the kids then but not now.  I guess being forced to makes a difference.  Seeing as Leopold had almost double Rhett's points that season, and simply played 2 more games than Rhett (with 9 more points), I don't get the anger then and now.  Leo was 5 years younger.  If we had a young team, then why is Rhett using being taken out as an example of not lpaying the kids.

I do agree that the team needs to get younger and faster.  We don't need Lucic and Lewis.

And we should be making room for Wolf, not wait until Markstrom is 37.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

You have a lot of patience to listen to these guys.  At times they echo what fans say.  But what doesn't make sense about the exchange is that Sutter would play the kids then but not now.  I guess being forced to makes a difference.  Seeing as Leopold had almost double Rhett's points that season, and simply played 2 more games than Rhett (with 9 more points), I don't get the anger then and now.  Leo was 5 years younger.  If we had a young team, then why is Rhett using being taken out as an example of not lpaying the kids.

I do agree that the team needs to get younger and faster.  We don't need Lucic and Lewis.

it is more that the Flames were up with a minute to go, Warrener is a more defensive D. So taking out the defensive for Leopold was not smart.

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

it is more that the Flames were up with a minute to go, Warrener is a more defensive D. So taking out the defensive for Leopold was not smart.

Well, was that the defining moment for the playoffs run?  It may be an example of Sutter making a poor decision, but doesn't the defensive coach usually make those decisions?  Anyway, I fail to see how using young players over older vets connects to the GM version trading young players.  On one hand he plays young player then, on the other he trades then later.

I will say that I have no interest in Sutter making any roster decisions.  He can recommend who he wants to send down after camp, but the GM needs to look at the best interests of the team.  It's not about the next game only.  It's about long term, rewarding players and making best use of the cap.  Valimaki was a complete fail.  Not because he got claimed only, but because we were stuck with a buried cap peanlty of $500k had he not been claimed.  Almost like Sutter said get him out of here, so do what you can to get him off the team.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Warrener's a solid guy. Boomer, yeah no. I've got a buddy whose nickname is Boomer. You're definitely a Dean. Boomer is a nickname you earn. You hardly look the part.

35 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Warrener's a solid guy. Boomer, yeah no. I've got a buddy whose nickname is Boomer. You're definitely a Dean. Boomer is a nickname you earn. You hardly look the part.

Rhett does a good job with his analysis of the team's play, but sometimes the rant gets a little loud.  Maybe not him as much as Boomer and Wills and Steinberg.

Those last two guys sound so much like mouthpieces for whatever the team is selling.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well, was that the defining moment for the playoffs run?  It may be an example of Sutter making a poor decision, but doesn't the defensive coach usually make those decisions?  Anyway, I fail to see how using young players over older vets connects to the GM version trading young players.  On one hand he plays young player then, on the other he trades then later.

I will say that I have no interest in Sutter making any roster decisions.  He can recommend who he wants to send down after camp, but the GM needs to look at the best interests of the team.  It's not about the next game only.  It's about long term, rewarding players and making best use of the cap.  Valimaki was a complete fail.  Not because he got claimed only, but because we were stuck with a buried cap peanlty of $500k had he not been claimed.  Almost like Sutter said get him out of here, so do what you can to get him off the team.

I'm saying, Warrener mentioned they got to the finals as a young team. Then when becomes GM he trades out the youth for age. Just like how he coaches and believes in vets. 

saying gots to get with the times that it's a young player game... he was forced to play youth back in the day until he traded them for vets when he became a GM

17 hours ago, travel_dude said:

A letter from a season ticket holder that indicated to the Flames that they will not be renewing.  They were told to pause that decision with a new GM and exciting prospects coming from the AHL team.  This was their letter back....

thanks for sharing, we need more of these and most likely more are coming.  That's just it...Wrangers gonna sell out lol

8 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I'm saying, Warrener mentioned they got to the finals as a young team. Then when becomes GM he trades out the youth for age. Just like how he coaches and believes in vets. 

saying gots to get with the times that it's a young player game... he was forced to play youth back in the day until he traded them for vets when he became a GM

Well a smart GM would recognize this history and do everything he could to force it down Sutter's throat.  

It's a cap necessity for one thing but also a smart decision seeing the trend of the coach.

I don't think Sutter has the right ideas about what a team needs, so GM not in the cards.

I even question if he has what it takes to build a team with what he has.

He was genious when Johnny and Matty were here, but without them nothing seemed to work.

He was given way more than he was able to properly use.

Back in 2004, he had a young superstar and a stud goalie.

But decisions after that year....who made them?

GM or coach telling the GM.

The year with no games messed up things a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Well.

the #1 arguement against a rebuild here has always been:  "look at Edmonton".

Gawd I hate Edmonton.

But, looks like a new arguement is needed.

they were always one top3 defensive D away from competing and they finally realized that! 

42 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

Another best of 7 series of torment to watch the Oilers play, ugghhh hello golf season, some doom and gloom but bringing in the bloom with my new driver.

With any luck Vegas will be up 2-0 before they play a single game in pickup land.

I detest Vegas, but would prefer to see them move on and face the top of the Central.

1 hour ago, medatswhoP said:

Another best of 7 series of torment to watch the Oilers play, ugghhh hello golf season, some doom and gloom but bringing in the bloom with my new driver.

Good luck with the new driver!

I still hate the Oilers and not because of the rivalry, but because of the poor management. 

Goes to show though,  that even a chimp can type Shakespeare given enough tries.

I still think Oilers die a horrible and embarrassing death these playoffs and I think it's hard to do a worse rebuild than theirs.

Specifically,  an 18 year rebuild (since Pronger left).  

We all gotta worry less about a 5-7 year rebuild and worry more about what it takes to keep it that short.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Goes to show though,  that even a chimp can type Shakespeare given enough tries.

So, so, there! Aches contract and starve your supple joints! That there should be small love amongst these sweet knaves, And all this courtesy! The strain of man's bred out Into baboon and monkey 

-Holland reciting Shakespeare probably

• Like 1