2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

12 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Sounds like the Preds might not give Cal Foote a QO, a little surprising. I am not a huge fan of Foote but might be a good 3rd pairing guy to take a chance on.

There are some notable players likely not getting qualified.

But, I truly believe we need to keep space both on the roster and cap, to claim waiver players.

We can't let a situation happen where we are waiving young guys and keeping guys like Stone and Ritchie.  

Keep the roster such that you can make a claim without any difficult moves like sitting and demoting a guy playing just so you can grab a player and keep him in the NHL.

Next up will be QO, pretty small list for Calgary.

Pettersen

Jones

Pospisil

Pettersen had a bit of a break out year last year, but I am not sure if he has shown enough to have earned a QO, might come down to what the Wranglers roster is going to look like next year. Jones was picked up as a UFA, but played really well for the Wranglers, I wouldn't mind keeping that center depth for next year. Pospisil just hasn't been able to stay healthy, I am a fan, but I am not sure that he will get a QO.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Next up will be QO, pretty small list for Calgary.

Pettersen

Jones

Pospisil

Pettersen had a bit of a break out year last year, but I am not sure if he has shown enough to have earned a QO, might come down to what the Wranglers roster is going to look like next year. Jones was picked up as a UFA, but played really well for the Wranglers, I wouldn't mind keeping that center depth for next year. Pospisil just hasn't been able to stay healthy, I am a fan, but I am not sure that he will get a QO.

Maybe the QO to at least fill the Wrangler roster. Be good to have a consistent vet there to mentor kids.

30 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I didn't catch the interview but apparently Conroy mentioned post draft he doesn't feel they are close on anything. 

Edit: Lebrun with an update

Ya Conroy was also asked about Lindholm and his response was he's not going to rush anything.  I'm leaning towards expecting Lindholm, Hanifin, and Backlund back for next season.  TDL will decide where they go.  That's when prices are at the highest.  That's the time to sell high.

And looks like Conroy is prepared to send the league a message that he's not going to take a low ball offer.

41 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya Conroy was also asked about Lindholm and his response was he's not going to rush anything.  I'm leaning towards expecting Lindholm, Hanifin, and Backlund back for next season.  TDL will decide where they go.  That's when prices are at the highest.  That's the time to sell high.

And looks like Conroy is prepared to send the league a message that he's not going to take a low ball offer.

ya but.

we are going to be in a playoff spot and then go for it. Trade for players and not trade our UFA's. Then we lost picks and don't get picks for our guys who are running...

48 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The offers should get better on the weekend.

Teams will miss out in free agency and have a need for a top 4 D.

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

ya but.

we are going to be in a playoff spot and then go for it. Trade for players and not trade our UFA's. Then we lost picks and don't get picks for our guys who are running...

psst....we are not a playoff team, we are at best 5th in our division, and we are still subtracting. 

27 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

psst....we are not a playoff team, we are at best 5th in our division, and we are still subtracting. 

ya I know.

but a lot here think we were goaltending away from competing and Marky will get back to his level.

44 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

ya I know.

but a lot here think we were goaltending away from competing and Marky will get back to his level.

Well, I think the conversation was that we were close to a playoff spot with the number of one goal losses and crapping the bed from the goalies.  The only thing that would have made us a threat in the playoffs was the being built for low scoring games.  Again, we didn't have the goatending.

This year, Marky at a decent average is a playoff level.  We lost a 30 goal scorer this year, but possibly get a 30 goal scorer back with Hubey playing LW.  Or Lindholm scoring more with a decent winger.  So many under performers last year.

I don't know what we will look like in October, but I laugh at the idea that we won't be at the very least a bubble team.  Doesn't mean we make it, but at the very least close.  The Pacific is always up and down each year.  Teams rarely have strong seasons two in a row.  

Huberdeau-Kadri-Sharangovich

Mangiapane-Kadri-Dube

Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman

X-Ruzicka-Duehr

If the Flames do nothing else, there's room for Zary or Coronato on the roster. Could use a top six winger, but I don't know how likely it is.

I would like to maintain some flexibility. If Zary/Coronato or even Schwindt aren't ready, hit up the waiver wire. There are capable bottom six options available on cut-down day every year. JTech mentioned Bjornfot is no longer waiver eligible, he would be a nice add. Makes up for the Valimaki loss if he doesn't make the Kings. Would rather have him on the club than Gilbert.

10 hours ago, sak22 said:

Thought they might have let Pospisil go but with all the turnover and the lack of graduating picks I guess it makes sense to give him another shot.

He is tough, half decently talented, but oh so fragile.

If he could ever stay healthy for an entire season, he might have a decent chance to be a good 4th line RW.

4 hours ago, sagacity7 said:

So now that Matt Duchene is available for free agency, is it worth signing him for a short term low ball deal and move Lindholm to RW this year? Just a thought.

The high value guys that get bought out get close to their original pay on a new deal.  They don't dign for low ball offers unless they suck.  Duchene is still productive.  If he would sign for a year at less than $4M I would consider it.  Just to get him set up for a TDL trade.  Maybe I'm just concerned about having Hubey and Kadri also over 30, but we can't spend all our cap on over 30 guys.

On 6/29/2023 at 9:21 PM, robrob74 said:

ya but.

Yeah, or they can trade their rights before July 1 2024…sure won’t be any lower than the current offers so what’s it matter? 

39 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Reports: Maple Leafs to Sign Ryan Reaves to Three-Year Deal as Free Agency Opens - The Hockey News Toronto Maple Leafs News, Analysis and More

A trademark of a BT team. An overpaid 4th liner.

They're not willing to meet Nylander's demands. But they'll pay Reaves for 3 years....

I get the signing, but I don't get the term.  I know BT knows the cap implications, but to me it's risky.