2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

7 minutes ago, zima said:

I wouldn't wait till after draft day he might pull a JH and well get nothing for him. I would still look at any deals that could come from him or Toffoli move them now why wait till it's to late.

I totally understand what you're getting at. I'm kind of in the frame of mind of anxiously waiting for his first move to see what kind of GM he'll be. 

i guess the first year could be a write off due to learning on the job, but it is also an extremely pivotal year for organization. 

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

That's bad news.  If he delays then that delays everyone else down the chain.  I'm sure the Flames could get multiple type of offers for Toffoli and Hanifin.  One type of offers would be win-now and the other would be a rebuild.  Now we have to wait.

I don’t think the Lindholm decision ties into Hanifin or Toffoli. Separate issues and I think both could be dealt before flames get an answer on Lindholm

54 minutes ago, zima said:

I wouldn't wait till after draft day he might pull a JH and well get nothing for him. I would still look at any deals that could come from him or Toffoli move them now why wait till it's to late.

Draft day only matters for this year's drat.  We have the players for the remainder of the 23/24 season.

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don’t think the Lindholm decision ties into Hanifin or Toffoli. Separate issues and I think both could be dealt before flames get an answer on Lindholm

I meant like, the Flames might have multiple offers on the table and if Lindholm chooses to stay, then they take the NHL vets in return.  If Lindholm chooses to leave, then the Flames take the picks and prospects.

If Lindholm stays then we want players who are in their primes ready to win with.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I meant like, the Flames might have multiple offers on the table and if Lindholm chooses to stay, then they take the NHL vets in return.  If Lindholm chooses to leave, then the Flames take the picks and prospects.

If Lindholm stays then we want players who are in their primes ready to win with.

i don’t think this is necessarily the case 

53 minutes ago, cross16 said:

i don’t think this is necessarily the case 

Agreed it's probably not the case. 

I'm saying it "should be" the case.  The whole, all in or all out discussion we had.  If Lindholm leaves, then all efforts need to be directed at the rebuild.  Max efficiency.

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Agreed it's probably not the case. 

I'm saying it "should be" the case.  The whole, all in or all out discussion we had.  If Lindholm leaves, then all efforts need to be directed at the rebuild.  Max efficiency.

no I mean I don’t think Lindholm staying means they won’t look at picks/prospects for Toffoli/Hanifin. 

I think the flames are looking at picks/prospects/youth for others and I don’t think Lindholm decision would change that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

no I mean I don’t think Lindholm staying means they won’t look at picks/prospects for Toffoli/Hanifin. 

I think the flames are looking at picks/prospects/youth for others and I don’t think Lindholm decision would change that. 

I do hope you're right, that would be great news

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Conroy is using the media to try and get teams to

up their offers. 

I have no doubt that they want to sign Lindholm, but if they are going to trade it definitely doesn’t benefit Calgary to tell everyone that if they don’t get an answer by tomorrow that they are trading him. Why announce your deadline to the rest of the teams?

I sure if the right offer came along they would pull the trigger as I am sure they have an inclination of which way Lindholm is leaning. Till the right offer comes along you keep the door open to him coming back, and put the pressure on the other GM’s to up their offers.

48 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Conroy is using the media to try and get teams to

up their offers. 

I have no doubt that they want to sign Lindholm, but if they are going to trade it definitely doesn’t benefit Calgary to tell everyone that if they don’t get an answer by tomorrow that they are trading him. Why announce your deadline to the rest of the teams?

I sure if the right offer came along they would pull the trigger as I am sure they have an inclination of which way Lindholm is leaning. Till the right offer comes along you keep the door open to him coming back, and put the pressure on the other GM’s to up their offers.

Ever since Fletcher, and the Gilmour trade I have felt that we are owed a little Karma from Toronto.

Just a gut feelling, but I can see Treliving messing up big time and trying to pull a Fletcher but have it backfire on him.

I want not be shocked to see a franchise-altering trade with Toronto, and we're about due for one of them to be in our favor.

What? What this says to me is that he's made his demands and now he's not accountable for what happens next.

Please trade him.

I have my concerns about players being held accountable. Well, here's the longest-tenured, evidently washing his hands of accountability in negotiations that look more like a hostage situation.

Can we start utilizing the woodshed for a change?

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

What? What this says to me is that he's made his demands and now he's not accountable for what happens next.

Please trade him.

I have my concerns about players being held accountable. Well, here's the longest-tenured, evidently washing his hands of accountability in negotiations that look more like a hostage situation.

I read it the same way.

I think/hope that Conroy is holding off on all trades until draft day.    Then fireworks.

Backlund has been under-appreciated here before.   And he is coming off of a career season.

No matter though, can't talk like that no matter how frustrated you are.   He will never get a return again after this off-season and likely will never see those numbers again.    I have always had a soft spot for Backlund but even then, the kindest thing we could do is let him play elsewhere.    Next year is not going to be fun.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Please trade him.

The good thing about that statement is we know there isn't a lot of dicking around.  

None of the, give me a day to talk to the player.

He thinks he has leverage, but the only leverage is what is the best offecr we can get.

So, you probably gave your list of teams.

And you probably said what you terms were.

Lose the trade for all I care.

Get it done prior to the draft and UFA season.

What, you only have 10 teams?

Well, guess what, we will accept crap for you from the last team on the list.

Or come to you and say, here is the only team that wants you.

Get ready to play out your contract year on the 4th line.

LOL

50 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I read it the same way.

I think/hope that Conroy is holding off on all trades until draft day.    Then fireworks.

Backlund has been under-appreciated here before.   And he is coming off of a career season.

No matter though, can't talk like that no matter how frustrated you are.   He will never get a return again after this off-season and likely will never see those numbers again.    I have always had a soft spot for Backlund but even then, the kindest thing we could do is let him play elsewhere.    Next year is not going to be fun.

I read it slightly differently.. I don't think he's made demands ..I think he's stated he's playing out the year and then he'll decide ..

In other words , .move him now ..

Can't even play the tdl game with him , as what if , god forbid , we're in a playoff spot at the deadline .. we gonna move our best defensive forward then ? 

Thanks to johnny nobody Shoujd ever get to play out a final year again unless they're on a show me to begin with 

It's disappointing how this keeps getting spun into something so negative. 

I read that as Backlund and the Flames are not on the same page long term so he's ready to play out his contract. If knowing that the Flames want to trade him then they will and he has no say in the matter. 

I see nothing wrong with that. 

19 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's disappointing how this keeps getting spun into something so negative. 

I read that as Backlund and the Flames are not on the same page long term so he's ready to play out his contract. If knowing that the Flames want to trade him then they will and he has no say in the matter. 

I see nothing wrong with that. 

Totally agree.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I read it slightly differently.. I don't think he's made demands ..I think he's stated he's playing out the year and then he'll decide ..

In other words , .move him now ..

Can't even play the tdl game with him , as what if , god forbid , we're in a playoff spot at the deadline .. we gonna move our best defensive forward then ? 

Thanks to johnny nobody Shoujd ever get to play out a final year again unless they're on a show me to begin with 

A bit of a different situation, in some cases thats when a player of his skills and more importantly his age are deemed more valuable.  The return on a Backlund trade won't make or break the franchise, he isn't getting a 1st tomorrow, and I think you do more damage to the organization by putting deadlines and pressures to make a decision, especially a guy who just won an award for being a good guy in your community.

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Please trade him.

We should trade Backlund even if he wants to stay.  He 34.  It's time to sell high and build around younger players like Conroy said he would.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We should trade Backlund even if he wants to stay.  He 34.  It's time to sell high and build around younger players like Conroy said he would.

Perhaps that has something to do with the way he is talking; knowing that the Flames want to get younger.  I support moving out a 34 year old.  We aren't the retirement club now.  I was surprised that CAR re-signed Staal for as long as they did.  Yeah, I get we have a couple like that here, but they are years away from retirement.  We can offload later.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Perhaps that has something to do with the way he is talking; knowing that the Flames want to get younger.  I support moving out a 34 year old.  We aren't the retirement club now.  I was surprised that CAR re-signed Staal for as long as they did.  Yeah, I get we have a couple like that here, but they are years away from retirement.  We can offload later.

The only reason to keep Backlund would be because there is no market for him.  In which case try to get Backlund to extend for 2 years around $2.5-mil-per and make it clear they intend to play kids above him in the lineup.  He will be the new Matt Stajan 4th line veteran Center.

But first try to trade him and get picks and prospects.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The only reason to keep Backlund would be because there is no market for him.  In which case try to get Backlund to extend for 2 years around $2.5-mil-per and make it clear they intend to play kids above him in the lineup.  He will be the new Matt Stajan 4th line veteran Center.

But first try to trade him and get picks and prospects.

I think it's fairly safe to expect Backlund to not want anything close to this type of deal.  Likely he feels that he gave his best years to the team and expects a similar payback.  High cap or longer term at close to his current hit.  But, I get the logic of a 2 year deal.  Gets you to the big cap era.  Salaries will go up on average.  Not so good for a 34 year old though.  Bumps into 35+ contract issues.  Staal deal should be the model for him.  2.9M AAV over 4 years, if you want to stay in the same organization.  IF he gets traded and gets close to his typical numbers then he would be getting better than Staal on a new deal.

Anyway, trade him.  Will likely take a hit with the replacement not able to do the same stuff.  Can't really go into the season without it being dealt with.  A good season and we are stuck trying to sign him or trade him while we try to make the playoffs.  A bad season and he's not worth much.