Sure is lonely here on the Bandwagon. Where is everyone???

DirtyDeeds

1 hour ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Everyone is welcome....

f89d08a8abc59267a7fe493f13ca6078.png

Go Flames !!!!

hey! I'm not on it, but I did say they'd make the playoffs maybe a week or so ago. 

😝

there are a few more out there that are on the BW. 

i have an eerie feeling that JJ is one of them, but carries a couple of accounts and uses JJ to troll us all. 🤣

it would be cool to have people who've changed their handles to let us know which ones they used to be. 

I think I've been Robindr and robindrob and a FlamesFanInVan or something like that. 

I think I've just not liked Sutter this year. His stubborn nature has nearly made this team miss, and he has come across as petty a few too many times for a coach. 

I used to be a guy who believed in the hard-nosed approach, tough love. But there is tough love, and then there is this. I don't mind a bit of grit from a coach. 

if they do make it, which I think they will... I think their best chances are against 

Dallas or Minnesota, but it looks like it might be the VGK if we do make it.  I'd prefer them over Edm, only because I don't trust Sutter as a coach anymore to play matchups, and McD and Draisaitl would have a field day with us. We tend to play poor against faster teams. 

but if it is VGK, Dall or Min, I think we can win a round. 

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

hey! I'm not on it, but I did say they'd make the playoffs maybe a week or so ago. 

😝

i have an eerie feeling that JJ is one of them, but carries a couple of accounts and uses JJ to troll us all. 🤣

it would be cool to have people who've changed their handles to let us know which ones they used to be. 

I think I've been Robindr and robindrob and a FlamesFanInVan or something like that. 

I think I've just not liked Sutter this year. His stubborn nature has nearly made this team miss, and he has come across as petty a few too many times for a coach. 

I used to be a guy who believed in the hard-nosed approach, tough love. But there is tough love, and then there is this. I don't mind a bit of grit from a coach. 

if they do make it, which I think they will... I think their best chances are against 

Dallas or Minnesota, but it looks like it might be the VGK if we do make it.  I'd prefer them over Edm, only because I don't trust Sutter as a coach anymore to play matchups, and McD and Draisaitl would have a field day with us. We tend to play poor against faster teams. 

I'd argue that Minny is probably more like, "let's play them in the conference final". They've been likely about 9-1 without Kaprizov. They have a bit of everything and only Boston has a better 1-2 punch in goal. Guerin was really sneaky good at TDL adding Klingberg, Johansson and Sundqvist on the cheap.

Kaprizov-Hartman-Zuccarello

Johannson-Erikson Ek-Boldy

Foligno-F. Gaudreau-Sundqvist

Duhaime-Dewar-Reeves

Middleton-Spurgeon

Brodin-Dumba

Goligoski-Klingberg

Fleury-Gustavsson

That's solid with a bit of everything. Especially considering the massive buyouts of Parise and Suter forcing them to be very on point.

I'm hoping the Flames get there, but they've really stacked the cards against themselves through a season that I can only describe as a frustrating mix of pissing and moaning.

When I read fans wanting Backlund to wear the C and retire here it makes my eyes bleed.

Look at the team's traits overall. Now look at Backlund's traits. Unfortunately he is the perfect captain to align with what we're seeing.

Now compile a list of 3rd line centers and tell me Backlund is even top 5. I'm not getting the love-in.

IF we want to see changes, I'm of the mind that it starts with him. I don't like the team's identity most seasons, if there even is one. It most closely resembles his throughout his long tenure. Last year he had a month of being fire and I was sold. But it fell back to his career mean, and that's not enough, or you could get Pius Suter to do it cheaper with the same effect and not over rate him.

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

😝

Only a couple?  lol.

If the Flames get in, I will cheer them.   Will happen, can't not.     

My negativity is greatest right before TDL, and in the off-season, the two times that I think it makes natural sense to be honest and self critical.

Do I think they will make it?   That's another story.   I expect the most painful situation possible, where we just barely miss playoffs, ensuring the lowest possible draft pick available to teams out of the playoffs.   lol.    But if I am wrong and they pull through I will get on that wagon.   Even if it's pretty clear where it's headed.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Only a couple?  lol.

If the Flames get in, I will cheer them.   Will happen, can't not.     

My negativity is greatest right before TDL, and in the off-season, the two times that I think it makes natural sense to be honest and self critical.

Do I think they will make it?   That's another story.   I expect the most painful situation possible, where we just barely miss playoffs, ensuring the lowest possible draft pick available to teams out of the playoffs.   lol.    But if I am wrong and they pull through I will get on that wagon.   Even if it's pretty clear where it's headed.

Well I do like that you're typically wrong.lol

Here you come again! Your negatives are oft-times are most surprising positives.

It's been a weird year. Going back to how chaotic the offseason was.

They haven't been all that exciting to watch. They've hung arounf though, lots of close games. But lost most of them. If the Flames win their remaining games, they'll have 41 wins and a total 41 losses. The OTL have really saved them. If they get in, they'll have likely lost more games than they have won. I've already seen some complaining out there about the OTL carrying the Flames. 

I hope they get in. We spend all year on these boards, the longer we can talk about the on-ice product, the better. 

If they get in, they are likely playing Vegas. The Flames played well against them this season. Could have won or got points in all 4. Vegas also has to spin a wheep to pick which goalie is in net. None are fantastic options. It would be a winnable series, even as a 1v8.

While I’m Here…….

@Darryl_Sutter 😉 On Behalf of the Flames Burning it Down Bandwagon, we would like to see the following:

Go back to the well with 

Ruzie - Lindy - Toffee

and

Mang - Kadri - Dube

We’ve seen it work and trust your first instincts on the year when this worked quite well.

Give the young guys a shot with 

Hubie - Backs - Coronato 

and 

Pellts - Lewis - Coles

It gives us four lines that are responsible and have a scoring threat on each line. 

Let’s try it for the next two games against a lesser opponent of Anaheim and Chicago, and if all else fails you can move Cole’s back up, and put Looch and Ritchie on the fourth to ground and pound the other team for a maximum of 8 minutes a game.

Sincerely,

Excited Ice Hockey GIF by NHL
The flames fan in all of us

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Same since I first joined here.  Timing is around when I moved to AB.

No other alt accounts, since I don't have more than one personality.

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

This is not a team easy to cheer for.  They get your hopes up, then look like a different team the next game.

Every coach has to be a Richard now and then, but not one every single night.

Cooper never comes off as negative, so when he scratches a player or line or cuts ice time, you notice.

Notice what the team says, notice what the coach says.

I hear more of you're the problem here than most places, singling out players in a loss.

Not the team, but players.

Praises one player and cuts to shreds another.

Backup was okay, did what he's supposed to do.

Backup wasn't good on a couple of goals.

Markstrom was the best player out there.

Markstrom had no help, maybe wnats one goal back.

The C made a bad call, but Pelletier blew that play.

Sounds a bit too much of a rant, so I will stick to the bandwagon part.

I'm struggling to find reasons to believe this year.

This is perhaps one of the better stretches we've seen, but it's still just a couple over 500 since March 1st.

8-5-2 during that stretch, where 3 wins come in extra time or SO.

First 3 game winning streak since what, December?

And our longest streak is exactly 3 games.

There are not many teams I want to face in round 1.

Vegas without Stone is probably possible to win.

DAL is dependent on their goalies.

Minny is a tough out and we could win or get beaten by goaltending.

COL, no thanks.

LA is interesting, but I think they are better than what we have seen last of them.

3 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

@Darryl_Sutter 😉 On Behalf of the Flames Burning it Down Bandwagon, we would like to see the following:

Go back to the well with 

Ruzie - Lindy - Toffee

and

Mang - Kadri - Dube

We’ve seen it work and trust your first instincts on the year when this worked quite well.

Give the young guys a shot with 

Hubie - Backs - Coronato 

and 

Pellts - Lewis - Coles

It gives us four lines that are responsible and have a scoring threat on each line. 

Let’s try it for the next two games against a lesser opponent of Anaheim and Chicago, and if all else fails you can move Cole’s back up, and put Looch and Ritchie on the fourth to ground and pound the other team for a maximum of 8 minutes a game.

I'm not really sure why anyone even favors Hubey with Backlund.  It doesn't make any sense to me.

Mange has looked better with Lindholm, but who doesn't?

That Kadri line is so bad they need to play as a 3rd line.

Ritchie is mostly his brother with less tendency to go get the puck.

Duehr is the only reason why the 4th line isn't totally embarassed every night.

We won't see Pelletier back in the lineup until (at the very least) a B2B.

Ruzie has no pics of Sutter he can use to get out of the doghouse.

Coronato is maybe a game when we don't need to worry.

You are here to learn kid, don't ask about playing.

You got your money, so pipe down, dress up in a nice suit and have some popcorn on us.

Oops, I reverted to the rant.

Go Flames Go.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not really sure why anyone even favors Hubey with Backlund.  It doesn't make any sense to me.

Mange has looked better with Lindholm, but who doesn't?

That Kadri line is so bad they need to play as a 3rd line.

Ritchie is mostly his brother with less tendency to go get the puck.

Duehr is the only reason why the 4th line isn't totally embarassed every night.

We won't see Pelletier back in the lineup until (at the very least) a B2B.

Ruzie has no pics of Sutter he can use to get out of the doghouse.

Coronato is maybe a game when we don't need to worry.

You are here to learn kid, don't ask about playing.

You got your money, so pipe down, dress up in a nice suit and have some popcorn on us.

Oops, I reverted to the rant.

Go Flames Go.

Rain On My Parade Bangladeshi GIF by GifGari

Not going to lie. I'm having a hard time with the bandwagon this year.

I'm a Flames fan, through and through, and that will always be the case. However, this season just doesn't feel very good.

• If they get into the playoffs, it's because they have maximized loser points. Currently, the record is 35-26-15. I understand that that's 500 hockey... but it's not, is it? 35 wins to 41 losses is not 500.
  • Making the playoffs, and likely getting bounced in the first round, is nothing to get excited about, but it's likely enough to stay the course. I have no doubt that this team will be better next year because a lot of players will bounce back - but what is the cost of that? Likely means that we have a collection of players that will not be moved at the deadline because they'll be in a playoff race, and some will leave for nothing after the season due to cap issues. This is starting to feel an awful lot like the mushy middle.
  • I am sick to death of the coach. I didn't like him in 2008, I didn't like him when they brought him back, and I don't like him now. Last season was the aberration - point to the Kings, if you must, but consider the lineup. The Matthew Phillips thing really removed any good will that I had on this point. Players like Brett Richie aren't NHL players, but are here because of their size. That's not good enough. I'm not saying it would have worked, but it was worth trying, and I don't see him coming back. Unfortunately, if the Flames get bounced in five in the first round, I do see the coach coming back.

I am neither a sky-is-falling-blow-it-up type Flames fan, nor am I a fair weather fan. This season has been so frustrating, and my ambivalence has left me feeling something that I really wish I did not: apathy.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I'm a Flames fan, through and through, and that will always be the case. However, this season just doesn't feel very good.

• If they get into the playoffs, it's because they have maximized loser points. Currently, the record is 35-26-15. I understand that that's 500 hockey... but it's not, is it? 35 wins to 41 losses is not 500.
  • Making the playoffs, and likely getting bounced in the first round, is nothing to get excited about, but it's likely enough to stay the course. I have no doubt that this team will be better next year because a lot of players will bounce back - but what is the cost of that? Likely means that we have a collection of players that will not be moved at the deadline because they'll be in a playoff race, and some will leave for nothing after the season due to cap issues. This is starting to feel an awful lot like the mushy middle.
  • I am sick to death of the coach. I didn't like him in 2008, I didn't like him when they brought him back, and I don't like him now. Last season was the aberration - point to the Kings, if you must, but consider the lineup. The Matthew Phillips thing really removed any good will that I had on this point. Players like Brett Richie aren't NHL players, but are here because of their size. That's not good enough. I'm not saying it would have worked, but it was worth trying, and I don't see him coming back. Unfortunately, if the Flames get bounced in five in the first round, I do see the coach coming back.

I am neither a sky-is-falling-blow-it-up type Flames fan, nor am I a fair weather fan. This season has been so frustrating, and my ambivalence has left me feeling something that I really wish I did not: apathy.

for me, I think this must go for a lot of us, but time can be a valuable commodity a lot of us don't have, or could use more of. The question is, do you spend it watching, or do you spend it with the people you love, or, getting that project done, or learn a new song or write one? Maybe others have hobbies that they enjoy... 

Normally tough decisions when it's this or that, but this season, they are easy decisions to make.

17 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I did change my handle from Saymzies a while back - I did put it in one of the GDTs.

When I had some issues a while back accessing the site I wanted to change it but completely forgot until Snowbear/The Tribal Chief changed his.  

I still lurk about and am 100% on the band wagon. 

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Well I do like that you're typically wrong.lol

Here you come again! Your negatives are oft-times are most surprising positives.

Yeah man, I was super pumped about this season, I thought for sure the cup was ours, what with Phillips and all our deep deep prospects taking over.  but now wondering if I might have got it wrong, like you say. 

Still, for realz, if they make the playoffs, I'm on board as always.  Those are the rules and I will abide.

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

for me, I think this must go for a lot of us, but time can be a valuable commodity a lot of us don't have, or could use more of. The question is, do you spend it watching, or do you spend it with the people you love, or, getting that project done, or learn a new song or write one? Maybe others have hobbies that they enjoy... 

Normally tough decisions when it's this or that, but this season, they are easy decisions to make.

As a diversion from life, watching hockey is something to look forward to.

240+ hours a year in an okay year, more with the playoffs.

But, my feeling towards this year is more dread than entertainment.

I won't go to any games this year, somewhat because of my location, but more about the product.

In prior years, I might have chanted Looch.

Not, I am thinking get the clown off the ice.

The quality of play has really gone downhill.

You two obviously see it.

We are scoring from the lowest common denominator of play.

Grit, not skilled play.

We probably could win a series because we tend to try to hurt teams.

Passing is mostly hhit the stick so that it deflects into an area.

Huberdeau passing to Backlund is like giving it to Lewis; he might hit the net.

Strange that we take career years from some players as being proof that a coach knows what he is doing.

Without career years, we are at best a middling team.

The ho-hum play of too many regulars is tough to watch.

Would rather watch Kylington breezing down the ice than Hanifin's decision making.

We have players that don't fit together stuck on the same line.

And that 4th line is like watching grass grow.

Duehr is a decent player but doesn't belong with that group.

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

As a diversion from life, watching hockey is something to look forward to.

240+ hours a year in an okay year, more with the playoffs.

But, my feeling towards this year is more dread than entertainment.

I won't go to any games this year, somewhat because of my location, but more about the product.

In prior years, I might have chanted Looch.

Not, I am thinking get the clown off the ice.

The quality of play has really gone downhill.

You two obviously see it.

We are scoring from the lowest common denominator of play.

Grit, not skilled play.

We probably could win a series because we tend to try to hurt teams.

Passing is mostly hhit the stick so that it deflects into an area.

Huberdeau passing to Backlund is like giving it to Lewis; he might hit the net.

Strange that we take career years from some players as being proof that a coach knows what he is doing.

Without career years, we are at best a middling team.

The ho-hum play of too many regulars is tough to watch.

Would rather watch Kylington breezing down the ice than Hanifin's decision making.

We have players that don't fit together stuck on the same line.

And that 4th line is like watching grass grow.

Duehr is a decent player but doesn't belong with that group.

more like watching grass die lol

at least there'd be growth 🤪

but I get it. 

maybe paint dry?

I'll admit the finish was exciting against a team that was rarely even in the game.

Wow, I just don't know what to say.

Against a lesser goalie, it took us 40 shots to get a lead and keep it.

Good thing for us Gibson was tired from the night before.

Just need another 4 wins in 5 games to just about guarantee a playoff spot.

Or just another late draft pick and a slim chance of moving to the top 6.

Really we need 4 wins and WPG only gets 2 wins.

Technically 3 wins and a OTL and WPG only gets 2 wins.

I've stopped following this team for a while now because just can't take the frustration anymore.  Don't fall for these last few games giving you hope, they will only disappoint even more!  Unless management and coaching staff is cleared out, I doubt I will be following this team anymore if you want to even call them that.  I've been a fan since 1986 and I have to say this year has been the hardest to watch.  

16 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

wow this thread is really backfiring right now, more than I would have expected.   And earlier than I would have expected.  Maybe things will change with another win.

But yeah.   This year has not trended in the right direction and on paper, that's not going to change for a while with how we've handled our future resources.

I never expected you to finish a post with "apathy" instead of "love".       "Boorish", I could have seen.

Truth is though, you've mentioned watching the Wranglers/Hitmen in here.    Just because the Flames are a hot mess right now doesn't mean we can't watch good hockey.   Ultimate message that could be sent to owners if if revenue starts shifting to the farm and junior clubs lol.   They may not listen to GMs but they'll most definitely listen to that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

I'm not sure i could have worded this better. Well said and captures my thoughts too. 

the only thing I would add is the excitement factor. Flames play a boring style of hockey so when you lose it just really drives you away even faster. Even in loses last year I still enjoyed the game but this I don't. I get winning trumps all but I think when you charge your fans what you do you need to give them an exciting product and Flames have fallen well short in that area this year. 

This season has been and still is a mess. It is extremely frustrating to watch, In fact I get worked up to the point of there is nothing positive to latch on to. The only frustration I have with Sutter is his stubbornness in playing the 4th line of Lewis, Lucic, and Ritchie. Although they scored the last game are 90-95% non-factors each game. The rest is the players, there is no one exciting to watch. JG and MT were entertaining at least when they had the puck you could sense something may happen, this year its MEH. 

We have to be realistic in the facts that really is changing the systems or coach going to make these players more entertaining to watch, I don't think so. They can't take a pass now. Duehr to Lewis last night's great pass in the slot rolls off his stick into the corner, Hubie to guys in the slot nobody is ready. Guys pass to others at the point only to have it bobbled and go the other way, or put the other player in the worst spot possible.  For me, this is like watching a broadway play at a high school, we don't have the right cast to pull it off.  It fair in some instances understandable to blame the coach, however, until you get some form of a star on this team you have nothing to sell. The fact that we are even this close to a playoff spot with how bad the goaltending is the performance on the ice an with no game-breakers, although hard to comprehend is actually better than most of us want to believe. This whole mess is 40% GM, 40% players, 20% coaching, and systems IMHO. If you all want a different coach and system you better start with better players on the ice first and better goaltending.