2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would say that we have gotten players well below their ranking (for the most part).

Better than unranked or well down the list.

Not that draft ranks ever are right after the fact.

I thought we were on the mark in round 2, and round 1 we took a gamble on a potential high ceiling, which I am okay with Depending on things we don't know but we hope the Flames do.

Rounds 1 and 2 are the most important and on the surface I'm okay with what we did there although man oh man we have some positional needs now lol.

After round 2, I would be inclined to agree with you.  Much less clear.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not really understanding this pick.   I am fine with the Russian angle, I get that he's big, I get that he's young.

Not seeing the skill but I may be missing something.  Not claiming to be an MHL expert.

Whatevs, it's the 6th round.  I'm happy with our 1 and 2 picks.

22 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Not really understanding this pick.   I am fine with the Russian angle, I get that he's big, I get that he's young.

Not seeing the skill but I may be missing something.  Not claiming to be an MHL expert.

Whatevs, it's the 6th round.  I'm happy with our 1 and 2 picks.

3 pick was really good too…4th could also end up being a solid bottom 6 in time 

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Okay, you can rant now

We started off with very high-skill picks, it kind of fell off a bit in later rounds and I think we'll see some impact players were missed doing that.    But, Top 1,2, maybe 3 rounds were high skill and these are the players we'll most likely look back on in this draft.

If Honzel can get back on his trajectory, then we did well.  It may just come down to that.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

We started off with very high-skill picks, it kind of fell off a bit in later rounds and I think we'll see some impact players were missed doing that.    But, Top 1,2, maybe 3 rounds were high skill and these are the players we'll most likely look back on in this draft.

If Honzel can get back on his trajectory, then we did well.  It may just come down to that.

How diffiicult will number assignment be in the future.  Every player we took had #23.  

While I wallow in not getting exactly everything I wanted,

I am reminded of that grass on the other side:

https://editorinleaf.com/2023/06/28/toronto-maple-leafs-trelivings-kampf/?utm_source=google-newsstand&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=google-newsstand

Treliving doing more of what Treliving does.

Those poor leafs lol.   

I would love to see the circle completed with a 5-player trade where he takes all our junk for a bucketful of first-rounders.

I like what they did. Think the Flames got a little lost during he COVID years, as did many teams, but I think this draft got them back to where they were and what the valued before that. Hopefully the results are similar too. 

Think they adding a really nice blend of upside, skill and size to their pool and it's much, much stronger than it was 2 days ago. 

• Like 1

one thing we've been complaint about is:

size. There is a need for size in the system.

speed. Speed has killed us

skill. High end skill. 

iq. Need to have high hockey iq. 

compete. Need players who are competitive.

are there any other arguments we've had?

how do the picks address these needs? 

Do you people not have jobs?lol

I had a fun draft party last night. Especially with a couple of Leafs fans due to we're all terribly familiar with the Knights. That one was insane. Feel bad for BT and we were laughing that he passed the announcemement to their scouting chief, whom we'd all fire.

We did okay, but just okay imo.

Honzek - yup

Morin - nope. I don't subscribe to "O dmen can learn D." How's Poirier's D? I don't like our philosophy regarding D.

Suniev - yup, but I'd have taken Perron, small but huge skills.

Lipinski - very lukewarm with Allen, Minnetian and Wikman on the board and needing D.

Yegorov - take a swing at a goalie, but maybe take Uronen before that.

Hurtig - yup. Good pick at 7. Only Aiden Fink went lower.

In my redo:

Honzek or Musty,lol

Sawchyn because D depth still looking decent.

McCarthy

Minnetian

Yegorov because always get a goalie late

Hurtig is a good swing in the 7th.

Just personally, I would have adjusted from taking a dman in the 2nd, seeing the board. Personal opinion.

30 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Do you people not have jobs?lol

I had a fun draft party last night. Especially with a couple of Leafs fans due to we're all terribly familiar with the Knights. That one was insane. Feel bad for BT and we were laughing that he passed the announcemement to their scouting chief, whom we'd all fire.

We did okay, but just okay imo.

Honzek - yup

Morin - nope. I don't subscribe to "O dmen can learn D." How's Poirier's D? I don't like our philosophy regarding D.

Suniev - yup, but I'd have taken Perron, small but huge skills.

Lipinski - very lukewarm with Allen, Minnetian and Wikman on the board and needing D.

Yegorov - take a swing at a goalie, but maybe take Uronen before that.

Hurtig - yup. Good pick at 7. Only Aiden Fink went lower.

In my redo:

Honzek or Musty,lol

Sawchyn because D depth still looking decent.

McCarthy

Minnetian

Yegorov because always get a goalie late

Hurtig is a good swing in the 7th.

Just personally, I would have adjusted from taking a dman in the 2nd, seeing the board. Personal opinion.

Looking in, in-between meetings at work. Just checking if there are any moves...