2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I have no issues with the pick.  I would have been more upset with just taking antother Canadian kid from the WHL.  I'm sure we will like whathe is in the coming years.  Ruzicka was impressive and he wasn't this skilled or committed.

He has the possible advantage of a totally different background with different skillsets, yet being young enough to learn to transition it into NA hockey.

Yeah I don't inherently mind that they put value on players they have seen lots (WHL).   In the past, I minded how they interpreted that.  I can't complain about this pick, the upside is there.

Still, complaining is very important to me.  On that note, I wish we had more picks.

3 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

He has the possible advantage of a totally different background with different skillsets, yet being young enough to learn to transition it into NA hockey.

Yeah I don't inherently mind that they put value on players they have seen lots (WHL).   In the past, I minded how they interpreted that.  I can't complain about this pick, the upside is there.

Still, complaining is very important to me.  On that note, I wish we had more picks.

The advantage of NA hockey scouting is they will play the NHL game in NA.  It's hard to tell with Olympic size rink play how they transition.  But really the secret is to invest a ton in scouting in other countries. 

BTW, want Askarov?  NAS was shopping him.  Think they are less impressed with him now. 

As far as picks, see my trade of Hanifin to CBJ for 3rd overall in the 2nd round + Boqvist.  I have no interest in trading for Duclair with any high-value assets.  Not unless it somehow includes Lundell.  Maybe a package of Mangiapane + Backlund for Lundell and Duclair.  They get a proven pair.  Hehe. 

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The advantage of NA hockey scouting is they will play the NHL game in NA.  It's hard to tell with Olympic size rink play how they transition.  But really the secret is to invest a ton in scouting in other countries. 

BTW, want Askarov?  NAS was shopping him.  Think they are less impressed with him now. 

As far as picks, see my trade of Hanifin to CBJ for 3rd overall in the 2nd round + Boqvist.  I have no interest in trading for Duclair with any high-value assets.  Not unless it somehow includes Lundell.  Maybe a package of Mangiapane + Backlund for Lundell and Duclair.  They get a proven pair.  Hehe. 

Your trade proposal is not bad.   but I would prefer pure picks and it's also possibly more likely than Boqvist, who is loved.  

I'm all for Askarov, we should pick him up. But only for the right price.  Obviously his stock has dropped a ton.

I would like to see us being the ones picking up undervalued assets for a change.   So it really just depends on if they Really want to sell him or if they're just looking for high bids.

Be great if the Flames could pick up an early 2nd today but I think it's going to be tough. Only potential I see is the Red Wings (Backlund maybe) and the Sabres with Hanifin. 

Outside of that if would likely cost them Wolf. Sounds like the price to move picks has been high, which is why i think you seeing Askarov's name out there. 

Rumour from yesterday is that it would have cost Calgary Wolf+ to move up in the draft yesterday.

I think Halttunen is probably gone by 48, but he is pretty high on my list, big RHS RW with a great shot.

Detroit has 3 straight picks in the 2nd. Have to wonder if they look to move 1 of them, but Yzerman seems determined to be patient with this team.

Seattle has a pretty empty prospect pool, but I wonder if this seasons success will lead them to move one or two of their picks to try and improve.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Rumour from yesterday is that it would have cost Calgary Wolf+ to move up in the draft yesterday.

I think Halttunen is probably gone by 48, but he is pretty high on my list, big RHS RW with a great shot.

Detroit has 3 straight picks in the 2nd. Have to wonder if they look to move 1 of them, but Yzerman seems determined to be patient with this team.

Seattle has a pretty empty prospect pool, but I wonder if this seasons success will lead them to move one or two of their picks to try and improve.

depending on if that meant giving up our 16th OA or not, I would have done it to move up, if it was just him plus something else. If the players are "that good" in this draft, I'd have done what I could to get those players. Easier said than done though...

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't see the point in moving up yesterday.  We probably would've drafted Honzek anyways.  Maybe Wood or Simashev.  Seems size was the leading factor for this pick.  

TBH the only thing that would make sense to move up in the draft would probably be too 3 maybe top5 but the cost wouldn’t make sense…after the top 3/5 there really is not much of a spread…Honzek is pretty much very bit as good as Danielson who was projected 16th then 13th but ended up drafted at 6th so, that shows very little reason to move up.

then only team that would have been wise to move their 1st would have been TO for a few later round picks, that guy was sitting at 70 they probably could have taken a few 2nd round picks and him safely.

other than that, I’d suggest there is very little difference in talent below the top 3/5 guys all the way to mid 2nd round anyway…

some experts suggest many of the 2nd and 3rd round players this year could have easily been 1st rounders in other draft years…matter of fact the top 15-10 players could have easily been 1st over all in past drafts…TBH Honzek I’d probably draft before Lafi in NYR so shows you how strong and deep this draft is.

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't see the point in moving up yesterday.  We probably would've drafted Honzek anyways.  Maybe Wood or Simashev.  Seems size was the leading factor for this pick.  

I hope it wasn't size.

When I did my weird stats stuff ahead of the draft (and I didn't do much cause of life), Honzek popped up on the radar.  Nothing to do with size, just his bursts of scoring.   I ignored it because his play tailed off into the end of the year which is usually a red flag.

But, I didn't realize until later that he was coming off an injury.    The pre-injury Honzek was top 10 material no matter what his size was imho, just based on his production and skill.    

I have my fingers crossed that they have an "in" on this.   I kind of think they do.

• Like 1

Just now, The_Tribal Chief said:

is he a good pick i know nothing about picks lol

Check the Elite Prospects link.

It tells you as much as I know.

72 points in 67 games (21 goals there).

That's pretty decent.

The Q league tends to be a scoring legue, but still.