2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think it will be Danielson this year lol

reading up on him sounds like a flames player. A safe pick as a middle six center projection.

Although, he does sound like a Brendan Morrison type. Not someone who wows, has speed, hockey iq in both ends of the ice, can pass. 

im not saying anything as to project the player, just that I liked the report on him. Albeit it was on hockey writers... but from what I read, doesn't sound too bad of a pick. Looked like he was rated all over the place with a lot of scouting reports. Maybe a CC kind of guy when it comes to the style of game as Conroy kind of played that way too.

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think it will be Danielson this year lol

My vote is Cristall. They've already begun to hone in on his skating. Button has dropped him down to 35. He's also dropped Reinbacher to 24. He's moved Willander way up to 8th.

Button's a shining example of why I pay little mind to tournaments. Now his list looks like he's throwing darts. He now has the Juolevi protege at 5.lol

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draftcentre/craig-s-list-after-impressive-u18-showing-axel-sandin-pellikka-moves-into-top-5-1.1960662

39 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

My vote is Cristall. They've already begun to hone in on his skating. Button has dropped him down to 35. He's also dropped Reinbacher to 24. He's moved Willander way up to 8th.

Button's a shining example of why I pay little mind to tournaments. Now his list looks like he's throwing darts. He now has the Juolevi protege at 5.lol

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draftcentre/craig-s-list-after-impressive-u18-showing-axel-sandin-pellikka-moves-into-top-5-1.1960662

Interesting.

Calum Ritchie jumps ahead of Yager and Danielson?  I remember you mentioned Ritchie does it all.  No holes but nothing elite either.  RHS C/RW.  Better pick than Danielson?

Reinbacher falls to 24... Because he got smoked on one hit?  Buy low opportunity for us?

Oliver Moore ranked 16.  High risk high reward I think.  Is he all speed no brains?  That's my biggest fear.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Interesting.

Calum Ritchie jumps ahead of Yager and Danielson?  I remember you mentioned Ritchie does it all.  No holes but nothing elite either.  RHS C/RW.  Better pick than Danielson?

Reinbacher falls to 24... Because he got smoked on one hit?  Buy low opportunity for us?

Oliver Moore ranked 16.  High risk high reward I think.  Is he all speed no brains?  That's my biggest fear.

Moore isn't. He's really good all over the ice. Ritchie should be a really solid NHLer, 1B/2C. It is exactly that he is above average at everything but not elite at any one thing. He was banged up at the u18, as was Barlow. His brother Ethan was with the Sting and a solid puck-moving D, he'll get a tryout and end up as a B/C prospect in the A or similar.

No way is Reinbacher falling like that.

Yager is most likely going to be a winger and needs to add weight in muscle. Him and Cristall would be my fall candidates. Button has reeaallly promoted the Swedes and NDTDP here, like, waay overrated. Though I do like Willander and Lindstein as Dmen, a lot. He pounded Simashev WAY down for no reason.

Emotion gets the best of him.lol He should have stopped at his last list.

Still kinda hoping that we land at Musty without a Reinbacher, Barlow, Dvorsky falling to us. I just don't think Danielson will be available realistically. Teams love large centers.

With Musty, I think he'll be close to leading the O in goals and points next year, jump to the A and likely not be there for an entire season. One thing him and Barlow can do likely better than anyone after the top 3 is create separation. The NHL is no time or space, you have to make/create your own to have any success in the top 6. Then they're both solid finishers. Many are thinking Barlow should just go to the NHL next year. I'm in that camp. He can start quietly in the bottom 6 and work up from there. Dude looks like he's 27 already.lol

Question about players available in the 10-20 range, who fits our greatest needs over the next 2 years?

Are there any players that would make the NHL in that term that would be top 9? 

I know we should look at D, but I am concerned that our F prospects (except maybe Pelts and Rosie) may not be close to top 9.  Are there any Backlund or Mangiapane or Coleman replacements there?

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Question about players available in the 10-20 range, who fits our greatest needs over the next 2 years?

Are there any players that would make the NHL in that term that would be top 9? 

I know we should look at D, but I am concerned that our F prospects (except maybe Pelts and Rosie) may not be close to top 9.  Are there any Backlund or Mangiapane or Coleman replacements there?

I would say top 6 wing on either side. If Lindy re-signs, Kadri is going nowhere and likely Backlund isn't either. Ronni is the likely prospect to replace Backs and Zary has that potential also. Don't forget Kerins. A year in the E doesn't write him off by any stretch. We really need some size with skill on the wings to get to the net and create offense.

We realistically have Huberdeau and Toffoli as top 6 wingers.

We also need a bump-back puck carrier and I think that should be Pelts for now.

We'd really have to blow it to not get a top 6 fwd though. A lot of Cs can move to wing and do so I wouldn't put a ton of weight into F position. Although a winger won't be a center. Danielson is a solid pick, my only concern is ceiling. Him and Ritchie are quite similar. Available at 16, I think Musty has the highest floor and ceiling IF I want size and skill up front that is close to NHL-ready skill-wise, which I do. Everyone has warts, but his aren't really the basic things you hate to see like skating, IQ, passing and shooting. Room for improvement in skating edges, physicality and staying engaged. Everything else is pretty high end. I'll leave it as, he's A LOT better than Ruzicka, and I do mean A LOT.

Maybe a Tom Wilson-type with better hands? He's hard to move off the puck with the ability to totally undress you and still find a good pass. Or he'll be beside the net for the tap in and is not exactly easy to move. We just don't have that and I think that's really hurting us. It keeps us outside.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I would say top 6 wing on either side. If Lindy re-signs, Kadri is going nowhere and likely Backlund isn't either. Ronni is the likely prospect to replace Backs and Zary has that potential also. Don't forget Kerins. A year in the E doesn't write him off by any stretch. We really need some size with skill on the wings to get to the net and create offense.

We realistically have Huberdeau and Toffoli as top 6 wingers.

We also need a bump-back puck carrier and I think that should be Pelts for now.

We'd really have to blow it to not get a top 6 fwd though. A lot of Cs can move to wing and do so I wouldn't put a ton of weight into F position. Although a winger won't be a center. Danielson is a solid pick, my only concern is ceiling. Him and Ritchie are quite similar. Available at 16, I think Musty has the highest floor and ceiling IF I want size and skill up front that is close to NHL-ready skill-wise, which I do. Everyone has warts, but his aren't really the basic things you hate to see like skating, IQ, passing and shooting. Room for improvement in skating edges, physicality and staying engaged. Everything else is pretty high end. I'll leave it as, he's A LOT better than Ruzicka, and I do mean A LOT.

Maybe a Tom Wilson-type with better hands? He's hard to move off the puck with the ability to totally undress you and still find a good pass. Or he'll be beside the net for the tap in and is not exactly easy to move. We just don't have that and I think that's really hurting us. It keeps us outside.

Glad you included the present players into your thoughts.  That helps.  The reference to Tom Wilson is something I have been thinking about.  EDM has Draisaitl, who matches the big winger aspect of TW.  He's not really a fast skater, and you watch him hang onto the puck with nobody touching him.  If he had the attitude of Tkachuk, he would be a beast.

Anyway, just reflecting.  I often wondered why they didn't groom Ruzicka to be that, but I guess he is shoot first.  I am a little concerned about the size of some of our wingers.  Pelletier, Mangiapane, Dube come to mind.  I have often thought that Dube suffers more from not playing C.  As a winger he tends to enter the zone on the boards, where he and most wingers get plastered.  He seems to be better in the middle third on entries and his speed gets him clear.  Maybe him playing RW is better since it forces him away from the boards.  

If any C/W fall from the top 10, then we should be all over them.  I don't think we should focus on D this year.  Look for a later round goalie if one is available.  The 2nd rounder is key too.  It's not a great range to get a faller, but it's not super bad.

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Glad you included the present players into your thoughts.  That helps.  The reference to Tom Wilson is something I have been thinking about.  EDM has Draisaitl, who matches the big winger aspect of TW.  He's not really a fast skater, and you watch him hang onto the puck with nobody touching him.  If he had the attitude of Tkachuk, he would be a beast.

Anyway, just reflecting.  I often wondered why they didn't groom Ruzicka to be that, but I guess he is shoot first.  I am a little concerned about the size of some of our wingers.  Pelletier, Mangiapane, Dube come to mind.  I have often thought that Dube suffers more from not playing C.  As a winger he tends to enter the zone on the boards, where he and most wingers get plastered.  He seems to be better in the middle third on entries and his speed gets him clear.  Maybe him playing RW is better since it forces him away from the boards.  

If any C/W fall from the top 10, then we should be all over them.  I don't think we should focus on D this year.  Look for a later round goalie if one is available.  The 2nd rounder is key too.  It's not a great range to get a faller, but it's not super bad.

In regards to size, here are the players that support that we have good avg size:

Markstrom

Vladar

Zadorov

Ruzicka

Hanifin

Tanev

Only Huberdeau as a top 9 forward is over 6' at 6'1" and he's a playmaker.

This is imho why we can't really generate enough offense. We just don't have the size in fwd presence to get in the goalies face and be very physical on the forecheck like Lucic. We don't get to the dirty areas. Not much of a cycle game. I'm not saying that I want everyone to be 6'2"+, but we do need a couple of power forward types with skill because we really don't have that in prospects either. Barlow is listed either 6' or 6'1" but he plays more like a smarter Coleman with a wicked shot and even better releases. His releases are like Tkachuk with power. He changes his release angle 6 ways from Sunday. But if he gets to 9 and Detroit doesn't I'll be choked. They need a C but really need a finisher beyond Raymond.

So I think Musty's a really talented LWer for us. Not just the 6'3", but his frame can really handle his height and he's a very good skater. The real charm is great hands, in or out of traffic, he's got great mitts. Also good pass/shoot reads and great at both.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

In regards to size, here are the players that support that we have good avg size:

Markstrom

Vladar

Zadorov

Ruzicka

Hanifin

Tanev

Only Huberdeau as a top 9 forward is over 6' at 6'1" and he's a playmaker.

This is imho why we can't really generate enough offense. We just don't have the size in fwd presence to get in the goalies face and be very physical on the forecheck like Lucic. We don't get to the dirty areas. Not much of a cycle game. I'm not saying that I want everyone to be 6'2"+, but we do need a couple of power forward types with skill because we really don't have that in prospects either. Barlow is listed either 6' or 6'1" but he plays more like a smarter Coleman with a wicked shot and even better releases. His releases are like Tkachuk with power. He changes his release angle 6 ways from Sunday. But if he gets to 9 and Detroit doesn't I'll be choked. They need a C but really need a finisher beyond Raymond.

So I think Musty's a really talented LWer for us. Not just the 6'3", but his frame can really handle his height and he's a very good skater. The real charm is great hands, in or out of traffic, he's got great mitts. Also good pass/shoot reads and great at both.

I like Musty as well.

Where is he projected?

I feel like he will be gone by our pick.

3 hours ago, Sarasti said:

I like Musty as well.

Where is he projected?

I feel like he will be gone by our pick.

Depends who you ask but maybe 22ish. He's being pretty under-the-radar imho. He's had shoulder problems but that's all been corrected. Due to missed time, it doesn't seem many are noticing that pace was about 35-65 100pts in the O. I believe he was expected to rip the doors right off this year due to his skill level but put in a lot more work on his D game. He could go anywhere from 12 to 32 honestly. He isn't getting much press like many others. He turned down the USNTDP for the O also so some likely have their panties in a bunch still. He most likely would have had Leonard's spot on that team. Instead went 1st oa in the OHL draft, so it's not like the hype has never surrounded his skills.

8 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

About a month away from the draft.

Right now my hope is for Barlow.

I'm also hoping for more picks, which I do think will happen. I think we'll be talking about the Flames having two 1st's this year.

I am asking a legit question, and not questioning your logic. Who would you say is 1st round pick worthy? 

Conroy probably has had some conversations on at least feelings with the 7 upcoming pending UFA's by now. Of course they can't talk term or money, but they must be able to get a sense of their feel and whether their sentiments at the end of the year are still there for them. 

Top 10 First-Worthy:

Lindholm

Andersson

Weegar

10-15 Worthy:

Hanifin

Toffoli

Bottom 17 Worthy:

Mangiapane

Dube

Would anyone do:

Lindolm and Hanifin or Dube for #3 to Columbus? Probably too much or too much money.

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I am asking a legit question, and not questioning your logic. Who would you say is 1st round pick worthy? 

Conroy probably has had some conversations on at least feelings with the 7 upcoming pending UFA's by now. Of course they can't talk term or money, but they must be able to get a sense of their feel and whether their sentiments at the end of the year are still there for them. 

Top 10 First-Worthy:

Lindholm

Andersson

Weegar

10-15 Worthy:

Hanifin

Toffoli

Bottom 17 Worthy:

Mangiapane

Dube

Would anyone do:

Lindolm and Hanifin or Dube for #3 to Columbus? Probably too much or too much money.

My thinking is that at least one of Lindholm/Hanifin will be moved. Which gets them that additional 1st+. Maybe both move. 

During the season, Toffoli could get them a 1st at the TDL. Could get arguably more for him as a rental than they gave up to MTL. Zadorov could possible get them one too, at the deadline. It's when GM's make their biggest blunders. Chiarot went for one last year. Tanev feels like two 2nd's or a 2nd and 3rd. Likely at the deadline. Vladar I could see going for something like a 3rd and a later pick. That contract he's on is pretty valuable for a younger goalie.

Conroy has some really hard decisions to make, but he's in a spot where the prospect/pick cupboard could be well-stocked in the next 12 months. All it would really take is to trade 4 of 7 pending UFA's. No teardown needed.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

My thinking is that at least one of Lindholm/Hanifin will be moved. Which gets them that additional 1st+. Maybe both move. 

During the season, Toffoli could get them a 1st at the TDL. Could get arguably more for him as a rental than they gave up to MTL. Zadorov could possible get them one too, at the deadline. It's when GM's make their biggest blunders. Chiarot went for one last year. Tanev feels like two 2nd's or a 2nd and 3rd. Likely at the deadline. Vladar I could see going for something like a 3rd and a later pick. That contract he's on is pretty valuable for a younger goalie.

Conroy has some really hard decisions to make, but he's in a spot where the prospect/pick cupboard could be well-stocked in the next 12 months. All it would really take is to trade 4 of 7 pending UFA's. No teardown needed.

On the draft floor is also when GMs make the biggest blunders.  Prices to get picks are 2x the normal price because GMs trying to catch other GMs falling in love with prospects.

TDL, prices for healthy bodies are 2x because GMs feel they are one piece away.

Lindholm will fetch the Horvat deal at next TDL.   But on the draft floor, maybe just an early 2nd rounder.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

On the draft floor is also when GMs make the biggest blunders.  Prices to get picks are 2x the normal price because GMs trying to catch other GMs falling in love with prospects.

Lindholm will fetch the Horvat deal at next TDL.   But on the draft floor, maybe just an early 2nd rounder.

I disagree, almost completely. The draft is for addressing needs. Teams with a solid prospect pool would definitely prefer to improve with a current player. Detroit, Buffalo, NJ to name a few. Lindholm would be a massive deal for Detroit. The C/RW thing would really pound them into being a very real contender.

Fabbri-Larkin-Raymond

JBurgers-Lindholm-Perron

Rasmussen-Copp-Kubalik

Soderblom/Mazur-Suter-Luff

Zadina

That changes everything for Detroit.

17th oa + Veleno, done deal. Veleno is a solid 3C most days with room to grow. Detroit still has Marco Kasper coming up at C to displace Copp, or Lindy to RW.

That would be wicked for Detroit. I'd even consider adding Wallinder/Viro/Sebrango.

About the only thing holding Detroit back is Seider, Raymond, Berggren coming off of ELCs next year.

Ryan Reeves was traded for a late 1st on the floor.

Let that sink in.

edit

Damn, I have to stop thinking about how massive Lindholm would be for Detroit.lol

Perfect offset of Larkin, who will fight anyone when he gets wild. Perfect guy to put on Kasper's RW eventually. Detroit is Swede-rich and an extremely fun city. It's not '80's Detroit that outsiders can't seem to let go of. Lindholm would love it.

Veleno (RFA) softens the blow for Calgary at C, 2 1sts in a row, a good D prospect that the Wings are rich in, everybody walks away with a win. Even Veleno, who needs opportunity after developing well in a bottom 6 role. Bridge him at $3-4x3 and go. He's only 23 so there's still a lot there.

Lindholm would be absolutely concise to Detroit's need, so pay a good price.

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I disagree, almost completely. The draft is for addressing needs. Teams with a solid prospect pool would definitely prefer to improve with a current player. Detroit, Buffalo, NJ to name a few. Lindholm would be a massive deal for Detroit. The C/RW thing would really pound them into being a very real contender.

Fabbri-Larkin-Raymond

JBurgers-Lindholm-Perron

Rasmussen-Copp-Kubalik

Zadina

17th oa + Veleno, done deal. Veleno is a solid 3C most days with room to grow. Detroit still has Marco Kasper coming up at C to displace Copp, or Lindy to RW.

That would be wicked for Detroit. I'd even consider adding Wallinder/Viro/Sebrango.

About the only thing holding Detroit back is Seider, Raymond, Berggren coming off of ELCs next year.

Let that sink in.

edit

Damn, I have to stop thinking about how massive Lindholm would be for Detroit.lol

Perfect offset of Larkin, who will fight anyone when he gets wild. Perfect guy to put on Kasper's RW eventually. Detroit is Swede-rich and an extremely fun city. It's not '80's Detroit that outsiders can't seem to let go of. Lindholm would love it.

Veleno (RFA) softens the blow for Calgary at C, 2 1sts in a row, a good D prospect that the Wings are rich in, everybody walks away with a win. Even Veleno, who needs opportunity after developing well in a bottom 6 role. Bridge him at $3-4x3 and go. He's only 23 so there's still a lot there.

Connie conundrum! Getter done! I like the part about throw in the D prospect. The first two I was like, but it's no guarantee with the 17OA. 

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Fabbri-Larkin-Raymond

JBurgers-Lindholm-Perron

Rasmussen-Copp-Kubalik

Zadina

Let that sink in.

edit

Please stop making suggestions that help Detroit, LOL.

I think a 17th overall + a 3C is a lousy deal for us.

Unless we parlay that into a top 5 pick.

I hate just looking at stats, since I have seen a bit of him on TV, but...

Ruzicka had 6g, 14a in 44 games.

Most of those games on the 4th line.

Veleno had 9g 11a in 81 games.

I don't know if you think he will turn into a 40 point guy.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Fabbri-Larkin-Raymond

JBurgers-Lindholm-Perron

Rasmussen-Copp-Kubalik

Zadina

Let that sink in.

edit

The whole 1 year to UFA though.  Yzerman would be smart to wait 1 year and then sign Lindholm without trading away their 17th.  Not saying Lindholm isn't the perfect fit for Detroit, just saying the value of picks skyrocket.  Picks are simply worth more on the draft floor than they ever will be at any point in time.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The whole 1 year to UFA though.  Yzerman would be smart to wait 1 year and then sign Lindholm without trading away any their 17th.  Not saying Lindholm isn't the perfect fit for Detroit, just saying the value of picks skyrocket.  Picks are simply worth more on the draft floor than they ever will be at any point in time.

But you lose a very good Prime year from the player. Maybe a deal is better with a team that needs him on the lower cap then?

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yeah, we are seeing fewer draft day trades as days go on, I think teams are really getting set on prospects these days making it more difficult to make draft day moves, even moving up.  Ottawa did the move for DeBrincat last year but its hard to say if they would do the same deal in a stronger draft.  That said I do wonder if you can get a team that was on the outside that is getting desperate for playoffs, like Ottawa last year.  Buffalo was finally close last year, Washington will want to get a few more kicks while they have Ovi, same with Pittsburgh, then of course Columbus and Detroit, maybe even Philly because they also hate rebuilding.  The East is already extremely competitive maybe they can get a bidding war at the draft

• Like 1

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Please stop making suggestions that help Detroit, LOL.

I think a 17th overall + a 3C is a lousy deal for us.

Unless we parlay that into a top 5 pick.

I hate just looking at stats, since I have seen a bit of him on TV, but...

Ruzicka had 6g, 14a in 44 games.

Most of those games on the 4th line.

Veleno had 9g 11a in 81 games.

I don't know if you think he will turn into a 40 point guy.

23yo C who is currently a 3C. And Wallinder is a large skilled LD. Veleno is a much more solid 200' C and plays a harder game.

That is 2 1sts and a 2nd for practical purposes. Can't see getting more than that for Lindstrom. That's a bit better than Horvat (17th is the Horvat trade pick).

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

23yo C who is currently a 3C. And Wallinder is a large skilled LD. Veleno is a much more solid 200' C and plays a harder game.

That is 2 1sts and a 2nd for practical purposes. Can't see getting more than that for Lindstrom. That's a bit better than Horvat (17th is the Horvat trade pick).

I'm just saying.  24 year old that was playing most of his 44 games as a winger.

But really, all I was getting at was let's not trade Lindholm.

We used Hamilton to get Lindholm.

Present value understood, but I'm not giving him away.

Has to be a bidding war and him definitely not wanting to play here.

Seems like maybe we should be fixing the problem with players wanting to leave.