CALGARY FLAMES 2022/2023 SEASON PREDICTIONS

420since1974

I’m going to just throw out some personal predictions about the players that I expect to see on the team this season.

Please feel free to make your own predictions on anything team related that you wish.

FORWARDS (C/LW/RW)

Lindholm – Point a game again.

Huberdeau – Replaces Gaudreau with more size and a little more aggression in the O zone. 100 points.

Toffoli – Has a renaissance. 30-25-55.

Kadri – He’ll play hard nosed hockey 25-45-70.

Mangiapane – Small improvement 30-30-60.

Dube – Another step 20-20-40.

Backlund – He will thrive at 3C. 20-30-50.

Pelltier – He’ll force himself onto the team during training camp and will benefit from the “Backlund bump”. 15-15-30.

Coleman – He’ll rebound to his career average of 20-20-40.

Ruzicka – He will also force himself onto the team during camp playing C & RW.

Lucic – Still a nuclear deterrent, he’ll be around for one more season.

Lewis – Expect much the same as next year.

Rooney – Press box fill-in for any of the above 4th liners.

DEFENCE (RD/LD)

Anderson – I expect small improvements in all areas (maturation).

Hanifin – Same offence, slightly better defence (maturation).

Weegar – He’ll fit in quick and make Zadorov look great.

Zadorov – Career year due to his new partner.

Tanev – Comes back quickly from injury and plays well again, but fewer minutes.

Kylington – Continues to improve in all areas alongside Tanev.

Valamaki – sticks as the 7th D.

GOALIES

Markstrom – comes out of the gate strong again but gets a major injury before Christmas.

Vadorov – becomes a solid backup.

Wolf – pulls off a Mike Vernon circa 1985/1986 (Flames make it to the Stanley Cup Final) 😉.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I’m going to just throw out some personal predictions about the players that I expect to see on the team this season.

Please feel free to make your own predictions on anything team related that you wish.

GOALIES

Markstrom – comes out of the gate strong again but gets a major injury before Christmas.

Vadorov – becomes a solid backup.

Wolf – pulls off a Mike Vernon circa 1985/1986 (Flames make it to the Stanley Cup Final) 😉.

While I feel there may be an overabundance of optimism this year, I do agree that if we are to have a surprise extended playoff run it would most very likely involve an unexpected event in goal.   I never like to predict an injury in net, nor do I think that necessarily has to be the catalyst.  But you're not wrong.

The 4 possibilities are:

1.  Markstrom has a career year and career playoff year

2.  We have some kind of personnel change in net

3.  Wolf has a sudden meteoric rise

4.  Vladar takes his game to the next level

I don't personally see any of the above as very likely.    But if I were to pick one as most possible, I would pick Vladar taking his game to the next level.

What hope I have for us surprising in net, is currently with Vladar.     I do also agree that Wolf has huge potential, I'm just not sure he will see it realized this early in his career.

12 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

While I feel there may be an overabundance of optimism this year, I do agree that if we are to have a surprise extended playoff run it would most very likely involve an unexpected event in goal.   I never like to predict an injury in net, nor do I think that necessarily has to be the catalyst.  But you're not wrong.

The 4 possibilities are:

1.  Markstrom has a career year and career playoff year

2.  We have some kind of personnel change in net

3.  Wolf has a sudden meteoric rise

4.  Vladar takes his game to the next level

I don't personally see any of the above as very likely.    But if I were to pick one as most possible, I would pick Vladar taking his game to the next level.

What hope I have for us surprising in net, is currently with Vladar.     I do also agree that Wolf has huge potential, I'm just not sure he was see it realized this early in his career.

For any of those last 3 scenarios to happen Marky has to get hurt. History dictates regardless how good/average/poor the starter plays he will always get the lions share of the starts. I'll go to my grave thinking that was one of the main reasons for the fall off last spring for Markstrom.

9 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

DEFENCE (RD/LD)

Anderson – I expect small improvements in all areas (maturation).

Hanifin – Same offence, slightly better defence (maturation).

Weegar – He’ll fit in quick and make Zadorov look great.

Zadorov – Career year due to his new partner.

Tanev – Comes back quickly from injury and plays well again, but fewer minutes.

Kylington – Continues to improve in all areas alongside Tanev.

Valamaki – sticks as the 7th D.

Defense:

My only prediction here that I am Really confident in is that we as fans will glaze over this until the playoffs lol.    Nearly every trade suggestion here involves acquiring forwards and/or selling defense for forwards, as it does most years.   We saw how that played out last post-season.    I said that I don't like predicting injuries.    I will simply say the the Flames enjoyed an unusually injury-free defense core last regular season, causing some fans to predict lineups that assume we're going to be 100% healthy here.  Hrm.

Andersson/Hanifin:   The problem with this line, imho, is that Rasmus would need to carry Hanifin defensively and I just don't know that he's strong enough defensively to do this.   Or that it would be the best use of Rasmus.   So we could see the two broken up, which is also ok as it would lead to more balanced lines.    Definite PP potential here.

Weegar/Zadorov:  For reasons above I see these two pairing with the above.    There has been a lot of discussion about whether Weegar is a 1st, 2nd, 3rd line D.  The truth is we just don't know yet.    But I think it will be very difficult for him to live up to the stratospheric expectations of fans at this time after the trade.

Tanev/Kylington:   Agreed, regression from Tanev, improvement from Kylington.

Valimaki:   I am really rooting for this guy.  without rooting for injuries.

19 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

For any of those last 3 scenarios to happen Marky has to get hurt. History dictates regardless how good/average/poor the starter plays he will always get the lions share of the starts. I'll go to my grave thinking that was one of the main reasons for the fall off last spring for Markstrom.

Completely agree, they are all chips in on Markstrom as they usually are with the starter, and they are gambling on scenario #1.

Which, as you put, is the #1 reason it's so unlikely to happen.

I, like many, would venture to say we will start slow due to the big changes to our top line.  In a best case scenario, everything works as intended from game 1 but reality is, we may have to completely blow up the top 6 at least once at some point in the season.

So that said, I think everyone will get production drop this season

Huberdeau - 90-points

Lindholm - 75-points

Kadri - 70-points

Mangiapane - 55-points

Toffoli - 50-points

Andersson - 45-points

Hanifin - 40-points

Weegar - 40-points

Everyone else under 40-points

Given this, I think the Oilers take the division.  Flames will battle it out with LAK and VAN for seeding.  I think VGK drops off the face of the earth.  ANA, SJS, and SEA are still a few years away from playoff material.

I fully expect us to make the playoffs but won't go deep.

I will try this.

Mine are usually overly optimistic, but oh well.

Huberdeau; 90-95 points

Lindholm; this one i mostly just want to see happen because it would be awesome but will also likely be my most outlandish prediction, around a PPG again but 50 of those points will be goals marking only the second time a Swede scores 50 and both of them being Flames.

Kadri; 60-65 points

Mangi; 25-30 goals 55-60 points.

Toffee; similar to Mangiapane.

Kylington, Andersson, Hanifin; all around 35-45 points.

Weegar; I believe he takes the QB spot on PP1 and puts up 50 points.

Markstrom; once again in the Vezina discussion though probably unlikely he gets 9 shutouts again.

Huberdeau- 90-95pts.

Quick aside, it's obviously really hard to hit 100pts. 8 players hit 100, 16 hit 90pts. Scoring was up and I don't think it's any coincidence that last year also saw a record number of goalies used in a season. Expansion and covid led to some poor goaltending across the league. All that to say, it's not a huge "decline" if Huberdeau isn't a 100pt player this year.

Lindholm- 75-80pts

Mangiapane- 65-70pts

Kadri- 60-65pts

I'm optimistic that Huberdeau/Kadri/Mangiapane/Lindholm all score 30+.

I think the Flames will make the playoffs and end up with home ice in round one. 

I also think the Flames get another crack at the Oilers in the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Huberdeau- 90-95pts.

Quick aside, it's obviously really hard to hit 100pts. 8 players hit 100, 16 hit 90pts. Scoring was up and I don't think it's any coincidence that last year also saw a record number of goalies used in a season. Expansion and covid led to some poor goaltending across the league. All that to say, it's not a huge "decline" if Huberdeau isn't a 100pt player this year.

Lindholm- 75-80pts

Mangiapane- 65-70pts

Kadri- 60-65pts

I'm optimistic that Huberdeau/Kadri/Mangiapane/Lindholm all score 30+.

I think the Flames will make the playoffs and end up with home ice in round one. 

I also think the Flames get another crack at the Oilers in the playoffs. 

FWIW I really dont believe Johnny or Chucky are going to be 100 point players again, this year or any other.

• Like 1

Last season might be a one of a kind and never repeat again.  Lots of sudden Covid breaks.  No games.  Players got days of recover time, especially down the stretch and especially for veterans who many posted solid stats.  Plus, a bad expansion team for others to feast on.

I expect the NHL to go back to normal again.

As much as I like making predictions, I think it's a bit early to even think about them.

The individual points total really depend on the way the lines appear to be constructed coming out of camp into pre-season.

Top 9 players consist of Hubie, Lindy, Mangiapane, Kadri, Toffoli, Backlund, Coleman, Dube, and possibly Pelletier and Ruzicka.

Who is on the top line with Huberdeau?

Most likely the C is Lindholm, but who is the other winger?

That winger could easily get 40 goals.

The 2nd scoring line makeup is important too.

Without considering any additional impact signings or trades, or fit based on camp, I would project the following lines:

Hubie-Lindy-Toffoli

Mangiapane-Kadri-Dube

Pelletier-Backlund-Coleman

It might make some sense to swap Coleman and Dube, but that remains to be seen.

Coleman is well used to playing with Backlund and faces the best that teams throw at the Flames.

If there was an impact RW available in trade to pair up with Kadri, I would consider moving Dube down.

That would likely bump Pelletier out of the lineup if Dube was still here.

I do see Pelletier as a player that could thrive on a Backlund line, much like Mangiapane did.

5 hours ago, taz89 said:

I only have 1 prediction right now, that we win our first game this season, in how long? 12 or 13 years now?

I remember this game vividly.

Home opener against Vancouver.

Gio scored on a nice wrister from near the blue line. 

He was not yet part of the leadership group. (Yes it has been that long)

I’m going with similar to last year.

Win the Pacific, 108ish points.

Hard to play against. 

Huberdeau is one of the slickest players in the league. And he’s offended and is in an org saying, “no man, you’re right”.

I have little doubt that he’s going to go hot butter, set career highs and everyone around him will too.

He’s better than JG for my money.

If someone told me we’d lose JG,Tkachuk and Gudbranson for Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar I’d have laughed.

I’d do that everyday.

We’re much better now.

My big prediction is Dube being a 25/25 50 point guy.

As much as the Sutter doesn’t like him stuff went down, I think Sutter loves him and is coaching him.

Huberdeau: 110pts

Lindholm: 48 goals

Kadri: 26 goals, half on the pp

Mangiapane: 35 goals again

Toffoli: still a reliable 20-25 goal scorer.

On D, all of Weegar, Hanifin and Kylington are good for 10+ goals, 40+pts.

Most of all, Huberdeau is going to terrorize the west.

I’m sure the Eastern teams are relieved that he’s gone.

Dude is slick as snot on a door knob.

Slicker when he gets his panties in a bunch.

Huge change from Gaudreau.

Massive intensity.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I’m going with similar to last year.

Win the Pacific, 108ish points.

Hard to play against. 

Huberdeau is one of the slickest players in the league. And he’s offended and is in an org saying, “no man, you’re right”.

I have little doubt that he’s going to go hot butter, set career highs and everyone around him will too.

He’s better than JG for my money.

If someone told me we’d lose JG,Tkachuk and Gudbranson for Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar I’d have laughed.

I’d do that everyday.

We’re much better now.

My big prediction is Dube being a 25/25 50 point guy.

As much as the Sutter doesn’t like him stuff went down, I think Sutter loves him and is coaching him.

Huberdeau: 110pts

Lindholm: 48 goals

Kadri: 26 goals, half on the pp

Mangiapane: 35 goals again

Toffoli: still a reliable 20-25 goal scorer.

On D, all of Weegar, Hanifin and Kylington are good for 10+ goals, 40+pts.

Most of all, Huberdeau is going to terrorize the west.

I’m sure the Eastern teams are relieved that he’s gone.

Dude is slick as snot on a door knob.

Slicker when he gets his panties in a bunch.

Huge change from Gaudreau.

Massive intensity.

i would love to see them not top load the PP. But maybe it's how to score... 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Ask EDM how they use players on the PP.

McD and Drai play almost every second of the PP.

They use different 3rd and 4th players for part of the time but mostly they run one unit.

I'm not sure what the best look is for PP units for us yet.

Some players that are sneaky good out there - Kylington, Ras, Mange...

Some are no big secrets - Hubie, Kadri, Lindholm and I expect Weegar.

On 9/13/2022 at 7:19 PM, robrob74 said:

13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

You have to. Every team does. 2 minutes to score, put out your best.

Ya only deep teams can afford to spread the talent around.  The Flames don't really have this luxury.  

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ya only deep teams can afford to spread the talent around.  The Flames don't really have this luxury.  

In the cap system no one does. Not even the Avs last year spread their talent, they loaded up their 1st unit and that is probably the deepest team we've seen in some time at the forward position. 

I'm with conundrumed. I don't see the logic in trying to spread talent around your PP, load it up. 

• Like 1

On 9/15/2022 at 11:02 AM, cross16 said:

In the cap system no one does. Not even the Avs last year spread their talent, they loaded up their 1st unit and that is probably the deepest team we've seen in some time at the forward position. 

I'm with conundrumed. I don't see the logic in trying to spread talent around your PP, load it up. 

Everyone needs to look at other rosters for comparison. If the only look at the Avs and Bolts, you aren’t using perspective. There are 29 other teams. Our roster stands up well.

Those using the Oilers series to manifest our D and G isn’t good enough is unfair.

5 games is a very small window to negate the other 89 games played.

• Like 2