2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I don't even wanna think about if this gets to arbitration.

I don't think it will. I think he either signs or is traded to a team that he will agree to extend to. If he wanted to do a dick move like JG he could have signed the QO and been done with it. He either is willing to stay or is trying to leave on good terms allowing the Flames some time to get a return. 

9 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I don't think it will. I think he either signs or is traded to a team that he will agree to extend to. If he wanted to do a dick move like JG he could have signed the QO and been done with it. He either is willing to stay or is trying to leave on good terms allowing the Flames some time to get a return. 

I hope you're right. I'm keeping my tail between my legs after JG.

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I hope you're right. I'm keeping my tail between my legs after JG.

I just don't see the reason or rationale of signing a 1 year deal here with whats happened. Pretty sure he doesn't get a warm welcome from the fans. I get he is trying to leverage and if you look at the cap space of many teams, St Louis has to move a lot of players out to make this work. If his goal is the leave I am not sure its to St Louis, even a one year extention does help them. Really the only club that makes the most sense is Ottawa, maybe NJ really can;'t see him signing in ANA or ARZ. 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

You seem to have a handle on the rules.. if they trade him prior to the arbitration, does that cancel the arbitration or does the new team go into it?

Normally if arbitration has been elected it follows the player but that's in player elected arbitration. I would assume it's the same but i'm not 100% sure. 

it would make sense to me it follows though otherwise the player gets screwed. 

58 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'm pretty sure it has to do with when you file. File within the Block 1 timeline and 85% is on the table. File in Block 2 after the initial deadline and the 85% becomes 100%.

I could be wrong.

source: Not @cross16 lol

You are correct. Because it's in the 2nd window the have to offer him at 100% of his previous year salary which is 9 Mill. 

I am starting to wonder if Arizona is the team that can offer the best return for Tkachuk, especially if the goal is to stay competitive.

Right off the bat I think there is some merit to a Tkachuk for Chychrun trade. Arizona gets a local product who is a more marketable name. Calgary gets the number 1 defenseman to build around.

A couple of other names that would make sense are:

Nick Schmaltz: RHS C/RW signed for 4 more years. Had a solid season last year but has been inconsistent. 

Lawson Crouse: LW, Arizona might not want to deal with his arbitration, he is big and can skate, would probably be a Sutter favourite right away.

Barrett Hayton: An RFA, still only 22 but hasn’t lived up to expectations after being drafted 5th overall. Started to show flashes last year. His name has been in rumour mill previously.

They have tons of picks in 2024 and 2025. I would be surprised if they were to give up any of their prospects and picks for next year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I am starting to wonder if Arizona is the team that can offer the best return for Tkachuk, especially if the goal is to stay competitive.

Right off the bat I think there is some merit to a Tkachuk for Chychrun trade. Arizona gets a local product who is a more marketable name. Calgary gets the number 1 defenseman to build around.

Nick Schmaltz: RHS C/RW signed for 4 more years. Had a solid season last year but has been inconsistent. 

Lawson Crouse: LW, Arizona might not want to deal with his arbitration, he is big and can skate, would probably be a Sutter favourite right away.

Barrett Hayton: An RFA, still only 22 but hasn’t lived up to expectations after being drafted 5th overall. Started to show flashes last year. His name has been in rumour mill previously.

They have tons of picks in 2024 and 2025. I would be surprised if they were to give up any of their prospects and picks for next year.

If it's ARI, then I would want Chychrun + Crouse.  I am greedy.  Losing a top scoring LW/RW for a potential #1D is fine, but think it's below value.  

If we dealt with NJ, I would want Hischier.  Not our biggest need right now, but sets us up better for the future.  If they want to manage the cap, then add in Johnsson or Tatar.  

Would NJ do either of these?  No idea.  We are swapping two top players.  They seem intent on building on Hughes and Mercer.  

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

I can't see Tkachuk having interest in that team at the moment, I think the fact of not competing and playing in a 5K arena for a few years might outweigh living out any legacy there.  Although I could see Tempe building that arena before Calgary, still tough to waste away prime years on a bottom feeder.

5 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I can't see Tkachuk having interest in that team at the moment, I think the fact of not competing and playing in a 5K arena for a few years might outweigh living out any legacy there.  Although I could see Tempe building that arena before Calgary, still tough to waste away prime years on a bottom feeder.

Yeah but Matthews is probably going to end up there in two years. Plus he would get to play with Keller who is like Gaudreau lite. 

You for sure make a good point, and I am not certain that he would want to go there, but I could see there being reasons to go there.

7 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

I am curious, anyone have any insight into why nobody has signed Sonny Milano?

Love.

I have been hoping we would be announcing that.

Friedman suggested we had or should have some interest.

I don't know if we are so hell bent on Tkachuk, that we have stopped looking to improve or what.

On another note, it seems (rumor only) like the AVS are having trouble trading Compher or Girard.

I don't see why that should be an issue, since it's not like JVR.

If they can't do it, it puts Kadri out of reach.

If the ask for Girard was reasonable, you have to jump on that.

Compher is a pending UFA next summer.

Have to be a bit more careful on him.

6 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yeah but Matthews is probably going to end up there in two years. Plus he would get to play with Keller who is like Gaudreau lite. 

You for sure make a good point, and I am not certain that he would want to go there, but I could see there being reasons to go there.

I'm not convinced of that right now.  I still see Matthews as a guy who will want to maximize earnings over playing at home, he also seems like he wants to build a brand so I think he is going to a team that isn't playing in a college arena next, I would say he is going to either stay in Toronto or go to LA, I think he has positioned himself where he can sign another 5 year deal and still sign another big deal.

15 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I'm not convinced of that right now.  I still see Matthews as a guy who will want to maximize earnings over playing at home, he also seems like he wants to build a brand so I think he is going to a team that isn't playing in a college arena next, I would say he is going to either stay in Toronto or go to LA, I think he has positioned himself where he can sign another 5 year deal and still sign another big deal.

Tempe will have a new building in the next 2 years, or close to that.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tempe will have a new building in the next 2 years, or close to that.

It's not expected until 2025-26 at the earliest which would be year 2 of his next deal.  Still not approved and they are only hopeful it will be until the end of the year, shovels aren't close to hitting the ground yet.

I'm with Pat on this. More you look at this move the more it makes more sense this is about trade and not about getting a deal done. it really doesn't make sense to me that they are at this point if Tkachuk really wanted to be here. 

This is all based on gut feel and no insider info so perhaps i'm wrong but i'm expecting to see Tkachuk traded this month. 

A trade with the Blues has to be dollar in, dollar out as the Blues are right at the cap.

Kyrou needs to be in it from a Flames perspective.

There are a ton of NTC’s on STL. The easiest move to make the cap work is Tarasenko. I doubt he would want to come to Calgary though. From a trade perspective it makes the money work though 

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

A trade with the Blues has to be dollar in, dollar out as the Blues are right at the cap.

Kyrou needs to be in it from a Flames perspective.

There are a ton of NTC’s on STL. The easiest move to make the cap work is Tarasenko. I doubt he would want to come to Calgary though. From a trade perspective it makes the money work though 

I wonder if they would move Ryan O'Reilly. Tarasenko's name has been out there for awhile, but O'Reilly is a pending UFA with no trade protection. 

Between Thomas and Barbashev stepping up last year, and Schenn signed long term they might be willing to move O'Reilly. The issue is I am not super interested in getting a pending UFA back as the key part of the trade. If the Blues wanted they could get a really good haul for O'Reilly so they won't move him as a salary dump.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I'm with Pat on this. More you look at this move the more it makes more sense this is about trade and not about getting a deal done. it really doesn't make sense to me that they are at this point if Tkachuk really wanted to be here. 

This is all based on gut feel and no insider info so perhaps i'm wrong but i'm expecting to see Tkachuk traded this month. 

Makes me so mad that we "allegedly" had Tkachuk for the 2OA (Shane Wright)... What a franchise altering trade that could have been.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Makes me so mad that we "allegedly" had Tkachuk for the 2OA (Shane Wright)... What a franchise altering trade that could have been.

I think that’s why Murray Edwards allegedly lost it on Gaudreau, for negotiating in bad faith.

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

While I agree Arz would

fetch the best return, I think we will see:

presser announcing long term deal 6-8 years at 9-10 mil per.

my guess is it will be a 6x9.5 deal 

in any case I think Tachuck signs and I think we also see Manji signed to a 6x 6 deal.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Eric Francis picked up on this and now is saying the trade is coming this week.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle.  The owners probably said, do this now.  Can't have the QO getting in the way.  Try to get the deal done and if there is no movement, then make the trade.  Personally, if he takes the award, then he is going to be less valuable next year, since he won't be hitting 100.

1 minute ago, MP5029 said:

While I agree Arz would

fetch the best return, I think we will see:

presser announcing long term deal 6-8 years at 9-10 mil per.

my guess is it will be a 6x9.5 deal 

in any case I think Tachuck signs and I think we also see Manji signed to a 6x 6 deal.

I mean I hope you are right, but all the signs are pointing towards Tkachuk being traded by the end of the month.

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I'll wait for proof it existed and for Wright to be actually turn into something before I waste my energy being mad about it, I think people are hung up more on his exceptional status and the 15 year old version and not questioning why 3 teams felt better going in a different direction.

2 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

I am curious, anyone have any insight into why nobody has signed Sonny Milano?

Love.

I think mainly because he's had 8 seasons in the league and is still a tweener. There are a ton of flaws in his game. He needs to play top 6, but isn't good enough to be in anyone's top 6. There really isn't much good to say about his game,