2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

Starting to feel like he just wanted to go somewhere and play hockey. Not the star of a Canadian team, not Philly (pressure from that fanbase) or his hometown just a nice place to play where he can do his thing and be him, closer to his family, and have his kid (or kids) grow up in an area he likes. 

That doesn't strike me as out of character for him either. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Starting to feel like he just wanted to go somewhere and play hockey. Not the star of a Canadian team, not Philly (pressure from that fanbase) or his hometown just a nice place to play where he can do his thing and be him. 

That doesn't strike me as out of character for him either. 

That’s about the only thing that makes sense. 

Still don’t know where this team goes next.  If we wanted to compete I was hoping we could get some solid top 9 depth. I would have taken Domi at 1x$3m.

Really hard to wrap my head around this still.

If he went to NJ, I would have totally understood from a hockey standpoint. They are loaded with young talent.

Columbus is a very average team across the board. I don't see Johnny hoisting a cup there anytime soon.

If he stayed in Calgary, he's the most popular Calgarian, as he's been for 8yrs. Not sure he loved that. He was never really one to stand in front of the microphone either. CBJ is a much quieter market, as I said earlier, Ohio State football is the #1 show in Columbus.

Columbus is still a relatively young franchise, without a ton of offensive talent. Johnny will likely end up getting his number retired after all. If he puts up 58pts a season, he's their 2nd all-time scorer. 78pts a season, is less likely, but that would see him surpass Rick Nash

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Some reports out there said NYI was only going as high as 9. Nothing on what NJ was offering. 

i never really saw the Islanders as a fit personally. 

the other weird thing is I saw a Tweet this morning that he was doing 10.2 with NJ.. and there was a press conference scheduled for a couple hours later .. obviously that didnt happen .. so im thinking they tried to play leverage and it blew up 

2 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

what a backwards day ...  Johnny wants to go Home so he goes to ,,,, Ohio?

Gubrandson becomes the one we couldn't afford and Zadorov who swore he was leaving if Johnny did . resigns at a good number ..

Lets hope that maybe there is something bigger in the mix. If we get Kadri could take the sting out but that means, we move Backs or Monahan out The only thing that make sense is what Cross stated , he just didn't want the spot light 

When the Flames originally acquired Zadorov, I wondered if Zadorov would look for term. He had bounced around a bit. Ultimately, he took the 1yr deal and looked like he priced himself out of CGY. Obviously the 4.5x4 market didn't materialize.

Never thought Gudbranson would get paid more than Zadorov

I don't think it was ever reported that Z was leaving if Gaudreau did. I think it was speculated by someone but I thought it was framed more as perhaps he is gone. 

All I ever heard was he wanted to stay but Flames weren't sure it was gonna happen as they were thinking Gaudreau was staying. 

But nice to see a player that wants to stay. I would be surprised if this was his best offer

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

When the Flames originally acquired Zadorov, I wondered if Zadorov would look for term. He had bounced around a bit. Ultimately, he took the 1yr deal and looked like he priced himself out of CGY. Obviously the 4.5x4 market didn't materialize.

Never thought Gudbranson would get paid more than Zadorov

Just goes to prove, RHS RD is 2x the value of a LHS LD.

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

The blueline will be interesting to watch at camp.

Left side looks set

Hanifin

Kylington

Zadorov

Valimaki, Mackey and Meloche are all waiver eligible, likely fighting for a 3rd pair role.

Meloche is a Right shot.

I think Kylington gets traded.

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

4x4 for a 3rd pairing guy that brings very little offence to the table is just crazy to me. 641 games played and he's cracked 10pts three times.

I agree its crazy what contracts are like these days but after seeing what Sergachev got from Tampa earlier as well as Cernak I am far from surprised.