2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

12 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

At the end of the day..this time last year there was virtually nobody untouchable on this team.. 

Most , myself included were looking at good ways to get Johnny and Chucky out of town ..

We signed Gubrandson and Zadorov and we all facepalmed .. 

Johnny was soft..can't play in the playoffs ...

This year .. career years all around .. 

What changed ?  A year of Sutter .. he brings out the best of what you give him..

Whatever this lineup looks like next year.. they will be competitive..they will be a playoff team .because Sutter will push them all to another level ..it's what he does

i think to most of us thought we needed to get something for them and why they were to be traded. 

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We want another smaller winger?

Can he pass?

Would need to replace Gaudreau.

Doesn't make us better.

Would take something like Mangiapane + Kylington.

Or Tkachuk.

If we were doing Tkachuk, I would want Chychrun + Keller.

That's hilarious. You think Tkachuk is much better than either? Mang & Kyl for Keller? Done.

7 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Again ..love the kid..   but I wanna know who pastes him in his return game ..lol. My money is on Anderson 🤣

There's also the angle of, "small Cdn market gets punched in the face, again".

Thanks parity.

How do you win when the deck is stacked against you?

And why be nice about it when it's true?

28 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I wish him well but I will have to say lost a ton of respect for the individual right now. This club and organization were good to this kid, with a decision like he knew a long time ago. What is really unrespectful is CGY tossing more money at him than he turns it down in the 11th hour, 100% disrespectful. Be a class act and let them know so you can leave on a good note, this just pissed everyone off. Like I said early will miss the little bastard after reviewing whats come out, lost a lot of respect for someone who comes accross as a respectful individual. 

Maybe we can hope for him having to take a pay cut to be close to home or even better..............the only favorable offer comes from the likes of Ottawa or Seattle. 

I realize that theres probably a nudge nudge wink wink agreement already in place but one can always hope.

2 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Maybe we can hope for him having to take a pay cut to be close to home or even better..............the only favorable offer comes from the likes of Ottawa or Seattle. 

I realize that theres probably a nudge nudge wink wink agreement already in place but one can always hope.

Oh ya swear to god he signs with some non east coast out of the blue team and he'll be dead to me 

The one thing that was notable in BT’s interview is he gave an indication that he would not bite the panic button, and would be calm and deliberate in their evaluation of the team’s needs.  To me that does not mean a desperation signing.  I don’t necessarily have a problem with a Kadri signing(not my favourite player but I get it), but not if he thinks our backs are against the wall and he can fleece the team.  Make the right signing for the right price.

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

That's hilarious. You think Tkachuk is much better than either? Mang & Kyl for Keller? Done.

I'm not that familiar with him, so I was just going of stats.

TBH, I don't remember him exactly killing us this year.

He played two of three games and score 1g and 1a in one game.

I do think that Tkachuk has more name recognition than we give credit for.

Does that mean we can get anything for him?

I would hope so.

Maybe we cab trade Tkachuk to Philly for Konecny and Provorov.

Then they might have a line that could score?

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not that familiar with him, so I was just going of stats.

TBH, I don't remember him exactly killing us this year.

He played two of three games and score 1g and 1a in one game.

I do think that Tkachuk has more name recognition than we give credit for.

Does that mean we can get anything for him?

I would hope so.

Maybe we cab trade Tkachuk to Philly for Konecny and Provorov.

Then they might have a line that could score?

Overall, Keller is likely the best hockey player of everyone you've listed here. If he weren't stuck in the ARI disaster that Bettman can't let go of, on a perennially crap roster, he'd be waaaay more familiar. And $7per is a great price for him. He's a great player.

Mangia & Kyl? Done. Still cap space to replace them.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Overall, Keller is likely the best hockey player of everyone you've listed here. If he weren't stuck in the ARI disaster that Bettman can't let go of, on a perennially crap roster, he'd be waaaay more familiar. And $7per is a great price for him. He's a great player.

Mangia & Kyl? Done. Still cap space to replace them.

edit

obviously a sign and trade sitch. Keller's severely underrated being stuck there.

The difference between #6 Tkachuk and #7 Keller in that great 2016 draft, outside of the stupid "rankings", was do you want the hard-nosed guy or the crafty guy? It wouldn't have mattered.

JG-Lindy-Keller would have equaled Tkachuk at right, even exceeded, imho.

Get Keller, move Tkachuk back to the left, that would be perfect for me.lol

So you have to replace 80-115 points on the roster, who can provide that in FA market.  With JG gone we have the cap space for a couple of players, ANDRÉ BURAKOVSKY,NINO NIEDERREITER,ONDREJ PALAT, EVANDER KANE,ANDREW COPP,SONNY MILANO, who else could fill the void. Realistically you have 10.5 to 11 million to get two players of which JG left on the table. Not a fan of Kanes he would be the last choice but we need some more depth scoring and a first line winger. Sorry we do not have anyone currently that is a first line replacement and Mags does not fit the bill

3 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

So you have to replace 80-115 points on the roster, who can provide that in FA market.  With JG gone we have the cap space for a couple of players, ANDRÉ BURAKOVSKY,NINO NIEDERREITER,ONDREJ PALAT, EVANDER KANE,ANDREW COPP,SONNY MILANO, who else could fill the void. Realistically you have 10.5 to 11 million to get two players of which JG left on the table. Not a fan of Kanes he would be the last choice but we need some more depth scoring and a first line winger. Sorry we do not have anyone currently that is a first line replacement and Mags does not fit the bill

Last year the Flames lost Gio and the blueline was able to replace Gio by committee.

It's going to be tougher to replace Johnny, but I'd imagine the Flames once again try to do it by committee. Add two top 9 forwards with the money earmarked for Johnny.

• Like 1

Not sure what Treliving does next, there isn’t a player in free agency that is going to make us a contender.

That being said if we can turn Tkachuk into a top pairing defenseman or number 1 center that can go a long way to helping us get there.

Let’s be honest Tkachuk’s value is never going to be higher, and without Gaudreau carrying the puck for him I doubt he will have anywhere near the season he did this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

Not sure what Treliving does next, there isn’t a player in free agency that is going to make us a contender.

That being said if we can turn Tkachuk into a top pairing defenseman or number 1 center that can go a long way to helping us get there.

Let’s be honest Tkachuk’s value is never going to be higher, and without Gaudreau carrying the puck for him I doubt he will have anywhere near the season he did this year.

Lindy is as good of a C as anyone in the league. He would be the last guy I would be bumping down.  

Losing JG AND Matty at once wont speed things in the right direction. 

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

I wish him well but I will have to say lost a ton of respect for the individual right now. This club and organization were good to this kid, with a decision like he knew a long time ago. What is really unrespectful is CGY tossing more money at him than he turns it down in the 11th hour, 100% disrespectful. Be a class act and let them know so you can leave on a good note, this just pissed everyone off. Like I said early will miss the little bastard after reviewing whats come out, lost a lot of respect for someone who comes accross as a respectful individual. 

Yups.  Almost feel like BT jerked him around the last negotiations and this is his final payback to BT.

At the same breathe, can't blame Gaudreau entirely because it is BT who ultimately decides to go down with the ship.  Despite radio silence from Gaudreau's camp for weeks, BT "felt confident", "there was good dialog", "assumed everyone was acting in good faith", "thought for sure Johnny would sign", etc, etc. 

Well, BT was wrong.  Instead of starting a rebuild on draft day with Shane Wright and going into next season with top 10 pick aspirations... we don't have Shane Wright and we go through the same thing with Tkachuk next summer and might also lose him for nothing too.

6 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Lindy is as good of a C as anyone in the league. He would be the last guy I would be bumping down.  

Losing JG AND Matty at once wont speed things in the right direction. 

It would absolutely speed things in the right direction.

7 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yups.  Almost feel like BT jerked him around the last negotiations and this is his final payback to BT.

I think there's some truth there.

Can't remember exactly, but there were some comments from Johnny after the last contract that insinuated they weren't thrilled with how the negotiation unfolded.

In 2016 Gaudreau wanted 8x8. The Flames wouldn't exceed the Gio cap. That's the mistake right there. For 1.25 more, the Flames could have had two more seasons of Gaudreau.

27 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

We are now between a puck and a hard place.

You are so right.  Tkachuk and Lindholm goes back to 75-point guys.  I mean, we had Gaudreau and were still missing two key pieces. Needed another #1 LD and a #1B Center.  And now without Gaudreau,... we are one whole superstar player away in addition to those two big needs.  What is BT going to do?

8 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think there's some truth there.

Can't remember exactly, but there were some comments from Johnny after the last contract that insinuated they weren't thrilled with how the negotiation unfolded.

In 2016 Gaudreau wanted 8x8. The Flames wouldn't exceed the Gio cap. That's the mistake right there. For 1.25 more, the Flames could have had two more seasons of Gaudreau.

Yups.  No question he felt a bit disrespected back in 2016.  I was hoping he wouldn't hold grudges especially since the Flames had such a great season this year.  He looked like he had so much fun.  But the moment he went radio silent during contract negotiations, that was a bad sign for me.  It felt like a "my turn to play games" moment for me.  He must have known delaying a response hurts the team and hurts BT from making any other moves.

Yet, I blame BT ultimately for getting fooled.  Gaudreau has every right to go to UFA and test the market.  BT decided to gamble this far.  8 seasons in Calgary and Johnny needs one more week to decide?  No... come on.  He had 8 years to decide if he wants to be here the rest of his career.

1 hour ago, flames for life said:

The one thing that was notable in BT’s interview is he gave an indication that he would not bite the panic button, and would be calm and deliberate in their evaluation of the team’s needs.  To me that does not mean a desperation signing.  I don’t necessarily have a problem with a Kadri signing(not my favourite player but I get it), but not if he thinks our backs are against the wall and he can fleece the team.  Make the right signing for the right price.

BT held a good interview.  I liked that he said he's not going to go revenge shopping tomorrow which is nice to hear.  Yet, he did admit Gaudreau's contract negotiations held up everything else.  He was in a bit of a state of shock and to me, sounded unready for tomorrow's UFA day.  He led us to believe he was basically 90/10 that Johnny was going to sign and he would have no cap space to do anything tomorrow... so, in some ways, he was all in on Johnny.  There was no plan B per se. 

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd say don't. Get Giroux as a JG replacement. Sutter will be all like, a bunch of no name guys, and all of us will go wtf?

Then we'll exceed expectations again.

The Flames were not on Giroux's trade list at the Trade Deadline when we had Gaudreau and a seemingly straight path to the Conference Finals. He's certainly not coming here now.  Anyone else?