2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

36 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya but injuries.  Chabot hasn't played a full season so he averages more like 55 to 60-points over 82-games.

Availability is a skill. He makes more than Hanifin and will miss around 20 games a year.

Good player, but not one i think the Flames should pursue IMO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Availability is a skill. He makes more than Hanifin and will miss around 20 games a year.

We were lucky with injuries last year.

Is Tanev any less likely to miss a bunch of time?

He was never a full season guy before.

If he has repetetive injuries of the same body parts, then stay away.

Otherwise, they are accidents.

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Tanev was a gamble, but it was for far less money and it didn’t cost significant assets.

Ottawa will ask for a lot in a Chabot deal. Which is why it’s not something I think they Flames should do

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Which should also be a cause for concern.

55 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yes injuries are a concern.  But hope they are not major hip surgery like Monahan.

Like TD said Tanev was available because Canucks didn't believe he can stay healthy.  Maybe OTT has Chabot available for the same reason and that presents an opportunity for us.

Heiskanen has been injured a lot recently and never past 40-points in a season but he's a stud #1 LD.  But no way Heiskanen is available or else we should all in on him.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Like TD said Tanev was available because Canucks didn't believe he can stay healthy.  Maybe OTT has Chabot available for the same reason and that presents an opportunity for us.

Heiskanen has been injured a lot recently and never past 40-points in a season but he's a stud #1 LD.  But no way Heiskanen is available or else we should all in on him.

I just don’t see Ottawa considering moving Chabot unless BT is offering a Lindholm or Tkachuk. Because they are incredibly thin on the blueline. They’re a team that will be eying a playoff spot with Boston, Washington and Pittsburgh aging.

If BT could get him for a reasonable price, that’s one thing. But paying a significant price is another 

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I just don’t see Ottawa considering moving Chabot unless BT is offering a Lindholm or Tkachuk. Because they are incredibly thin on the blueline. They’re a team that will be eying a playoff spot with Boston, Washington and Pittsburgh aging.

If BT could get him for a reasonable price, that’s one thing. But paying a significant price is another 

Yes, that was exactly the suggestion.  Tkachuk for Chabot.  No way OTT considers moving Chabot but only because of the unique situation of the Tkachuk brothers and OTT has Jake Sanderson as future #1 LD.

There's no way we get Chabot short of Tkachuk.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

id add to your argument, which he never had a full season with the Canucks being a big reason for not re-signing him. But without Tanev, they’re a lot further from the playoffs. 

my only reason for not liking the signing was his injury history, other than that, I hated playing against him, and once we got him It was a lot clearer why I didn’t like it. He’s been our best D.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Yes, that was exactly the suggestion.  Tkachuk for Chabot.  No way OTT considers moving Chabot but only because of the unique situation of the Tkachuk brothers and OTT has Jake Sanderson as future #1 LD.

There's no way we get Chabot short of Tkachuk.

i would do 

Tkachuk for Sanderson.

play Sanderson with Tanev when Tanev gets healthy. Tanev is the rookie whisperer. 

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

id add to your argument, which he never had a full season with the Canucks being a big reason for not re-signing him. But without Tanev, they’re a lot further from the playoffs. 

my only reason for not liking the signing was his injury history, other than that, I hated playing against him, and once we got him It was a lot clearer why I didn’t like it. He’s been our best D.

Yes to the above.  I was converned about going from a steady Eddy (TJ) to Car Crash Kenny.  I was okay with 60 games of Tanev though.  Not 82, then 9 out of 12.  Much longer runway to work with in the season.  And yes, Hughes was exactly why I knew he would be that good with us. 

The Nucks made so many bad decisions, I wouldn't say they let Tanev go because of injury.  They had more expensive problems that Benning was making mistakes on.  They went backwards in nets because they were afraid of losing Markstrom or Demko for nothing.  Good teams know how to solve those problems.  Nothing against Demko.  He's great.

Back to the summer at hand.

Chabot instead of Hanifin or Kylington.

One has to go.

Hanifin's salary closer to $8M, so it helps balance it out.

No to Tkachuk for Chabot.

Hanifin, Dube + for Chabot, then we are talking.

27 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Why is everyone trading Tkachuk? Not understanding and not agreeing whatsoever.

I think many believe IF it comes down to him or JG then he's the odd man out.  We saw how a one dimensional team exposed some shortcomings and basically youre not going to fix it with a couple $3-5 mil signings.  You gotta sell pieces to get pieces and with the cap only going up $1mil theres belief paying both your top guys what you think the market will demand will leave nothing to address any shortcomings in other places. I couldnt be arsed to do the mathematical gymnastics when it comes to salalry in salary out stuff but I'm sure you could sign almost everyone in under the cap but does that make you any better?

I think I started the Chabot/Senators thought train but there was a big IF in that post also. Its been a while since off season re-signings have been such a big deal for the team, I dont think anybody really knows what to expect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

i would do 

Tkachuk for Sanderson.

play Sanderson with Tanev when Tanev gets healthy. Tanev is the rookie whisperer. 

No we need to win the Cup next season, not in 3 years when Sanderson is ready to dominate.  The Sens, on the other hand, have time.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

In a perfect world, we do not trade Tkachuk and still get our #1 LD and a second line Center.

I’m still not sold on trading Tkachuk or anyone else for a very overpriced player, imo, or a slightly better player on the hopes of a gamble.  Cohabit and Chykryn both fit these concerns.

1 hour ago, flames for life said:

I’m still not sold on trading Tkachuk or anyone else for a very overpriced player, imo, or a slightly better player on the hopes of a gamble.  Cohabit and Chykryn both fit these concerns.

At the same breathe, Tkachuk is about to be very overpriced.

Again, perfect world is we get that #1 LD while keeping Tkachuk.  If that trade is out there then let's make it.

3 hours ago, flames for life said:

I’m with you in this one!

100% agreed! 

3 hours ago, flames for life said:

I’m with you in this one!

100% agreed! 

As much as people

hate this, we need to come

to a reality that Gaudreau’s rights will

probably be traded to Phi or NJD…so with that in mind I think we see Manji on the 1st line with Lindholm and Tachuck .Trade Backlund to free up space. Monahan and Toffoil will make up the Ctr and RW on the second line. I think Lewis is back and Calle is back too…plus Pelletier and maybe Ruzi are elevated to regular status:

Manji/Lindholm/Tachuck 

Pelletirer/Monahan/Toffoil 

Coleman/Calle/Dube

Lucic/Lewis or Ruzi/Lewis or…

that’s not a bad lineup…with very few changes….and all that without any possible upgrades from trading Backlund and Gaudreau’s rights…

I think Big Z resigns MacKey or Valimaki is elevated to a regular slot as far as D goes, I think it will come Down to Hanifin + either MacKey or Valimaki to land a #1D…if nothing is available I see Cgy just sticks it

out…maybe gunny re-ups or is replaced and I could see Stone back in the same role and $.

Hafifin/Anderson

Killington/Tanev 

Makey or Valimaki/ 

stone 

all and all, a few changes but for the most part the team stays fully intact with only 2 players moved…maybe 3 if Gunny doesn’t re-up.  It’s also cap friendly and has the potential to have either a few 1st rounders or the addition of a highly skilled

prospect or a solid NHL regular from those other trades…

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

At the same breathe, Tkachuk is about to be very overpriced.

Again, perfect world is we get that #1 LD while keeping Tkachuk.  If that trade is out there then let's make it.

I guess this comes down to defining what overpriced is, and our confidence in BT to manage it.  The one area that BT has been really consistent is getting solid and mutually beneficial contracts; logical and realistic. I expect nothing less.  

At the same token, I don’t think it’s in his or anybody else’s best interest to “sell the farm” to acquire players that may or may not improve the team slightly.

My greatest headache when reading the opinions on the messages here is that too many people minimize the quality of our players, and amplify the value of other team’s players.  I usually read numbers for trading as 3 of us for the price of one of theirs.  Again, given the players, not reasonable, unless we were trading for Makar, or someone of such great skill, it merits the trade.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flames for life said:

I guess this comes down to defining what overpriced is, and our confidence in BT to manage it.  The one area that BT has been really consistent is getting solid and mutually beneficial contracts; logical and realistic. I expect nothing less.  

At the same token, I don’t think it’s in his or anybody else’s best interest to “sell the farm” to acquire players that may or may not improve the team slightly.

My greatest headache when reading the opinions on the messages here is that too many people minimize the quality of our players, and amplify the value of other team’s players.  I usually read numbers for trading as 3 of us for the price of one of theirs.  Again, given the players, not reasonable, unless we were trading for Makar, or someone of such great skill, it merits the trade.

I agree in this. The reality in this league is you have to get better via the draft and you need quality on ELCs to have an impact. Trades can work, but it's been proven time and again that you can't just get the best players and expect it to work, Vegas being the latest example.

Looking at the Cup finalists, pretty much all of their best players were acquired at drafts. Their trades have been acquiring support pieces. Our best pieces came via draft, Lindholm was a great trade piece, as was Hanifin, but after that there are a bunch of scattered misses. Good signings in Markstrom and Tanev, but they're also offset by bad signings.

We're having a rough time drafting D, with Andersson being the exception and not the rule. Kyl to a lesser extent.

I'm hopeful we'll have useful, cheap-for-now players next season in Rozie & Pelletier. I really hope Valimaki sees the writing on the wall that the spot it his to take. Kerins 1st year of pro will be interesting, as will seeing how Zary progresses. Duehr's another one.

It's all about patience for me. I hear a lot of "not impressed" chatter re young prospects but the reality is they're still growing and it's not about the season they're having as much as the off-season regiment. Kylington is a decent example. Each player has a different timeline on when they morph to the next level. Once that happens, they get a much better understanding of where they are and what they have to do to get to the next plateau.

This is why I believe Kylington will progress, and Rozie should too.

So that's my offseason. We don't need trades, we need progress. Well, and signings of course.

I'll call it right now, Pelletier is going to kill it. He'll need a LW spot. Such a smart player, solid individual and we're going to love him.

Growth from within is the most important aspect of every team imo.

Trade chatter is just that, chatter. It can be white noise often.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Agreed. It's a lot of plugging 1 hole by creating another one type of proposals too. 

The Center hole is bigger than a Winger hole. That sounded dirty, but you get the point. Wing-holes are easier to fill than C-holes. Oops, did it again... :ph34r: We need to be stronger down the middle! ... I give up. :lol:

40 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

It's all about patience for me. I hear a lot of "not impressed" chatter re young prospects but the reality is they're still growing and it's not about the season they're having as much as the off-season regiment. Kylington is a decent example. Each player has a different timeline on when they morph to the next level. Once that happens, they get a much better understanding of where they are and what they have to do to get to the next plateau.

This is a bit of an aside, but I am waiting to see two players on the Heat roster next season.  Kuz and Poirier.

Apparently, Poirier has improved his defensive game.  He has been lighting up the Q already.

If he can progress in the AHL, we might have something.

Kuz is a big steady guy, not flashy but supposedly good defensively.

Am I the only one that sees  two gingers that look similar?  Poirier and Commodore.

Jeremie Poirier hockey player photo

Player Headshot

7 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

The Center hole is bigger than a Winger hole. That sounded dirty, but you get the point. Wing-holes are easier to fill than C-holes. Oops, did it again... :ph34r: We need to be stronger down the middle! ... I give up. :lol:

And as it works in any trade if you can move someone and get better by all means, but so far i'm not really seeing much of that in the desire to move Tkachuk. 

Tkachuk is an top end talent so unless you are getting that in return I don't think you are getting better by moving him position value or not. 

• Like 2