2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

So I was looking on CapFriendly for other potential D-men we haven't brought up yet, and I may have stumbled upon a very good target for us. Chychrun is going to cost a lot to acquire, but I assume there's a decent chance this D-man could be acquired and it would definitely be for less than Chych. 

Vince Dunn from SEA. 

- LD / 6,0" / 203lbs /  Plays PP with Bomb from the point / Hits / Blocks / Positive Corsi

- $4M salary for next season, then RFA with Arb rights. 

I think he'd stabalize our top 4, and I might even flirt with putting Hanifin and Tanev back together and Andersson and Dunn together... 

What could we offer SEA?

Dillon Dube for starters. LW/C/RW making $2.3M for the next 2 seasons then RFA. Maybe add Kyllington as well or a prospect instead? 

Or, start with Valimaki - and maybe they'd be interested in Mony as a reclamation and who is a potential asset to flip at TDL as well (could help with Cap floor as well)

Dunn's stats are lower than Hanifin's, but he should produce a solid bump in that regard playing here. 

I think targeting JP over Nichushkin makes sense from the financial standpoint, Nichushkin is coming off of making 2.5 million and there is reason for that, his career was at a worse spot than JP's was at that age, we can only really entertain the idea of Nichushkin if Gaudreau leaves.  I'm not as high on the reclamation kids as others, but I don't really see any bigger UFA's as options either

25 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

So I was looking on CapFriendly for other potential D-men we haven't brought up yet, and I may have stumbled upon a very good target for us. Chychrun is going to cost a lot to acquire, but I assume there's a decent chance this D-man could be acquired and it would definitely be for less than Chych. 

Vince Dunn from SEA. 

- LD / 6,0" / 203lbs /  Plays PP with Bomb from the point / Hits / Blocks / Positive Corsi

- $4M salary for next season, then RFA with Arb rights. 

I think he'd stabalize our top 4, and I might even flirt with putting Hanifin and Tanev back together and Andersson and Dunn together... 

What could we offer SEA?

Dillon Dube for starters. LW/C/RW making $2.3M for the next 2 seasons then RFA. Maybe add Kyllington as well or a prospect instead? 

Or, start with Valimaki - and maybe they'd be interested in Mony as a reclamation and who is a potential asset to flip at TDL as well (could help with Cap floor as well)

Dunn's stats are lower than Hanifin's, but he should produce a solid bump in that regard playing here. 

You left out that he's 25 and it feels like he's been around forever. I'm a fan of Dunn's. I think he's exactly the Dman that Sutter teaches better approaches. He was behind a lot of great dmen in St. Loo as a kid. I think there's a lot more there than what he's shown, personally. Then he goes to Seattle's cesspool...

I'd do this, scraping players that need real opportunities with a good team. He's one for sure.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

You left out that he's 25 and it feels like he's been around forever. I'm a fan of Dunn's. I think he's exactly the Dman that Sutter teaches better approaches. He was behind a lot of great dmen in St. Loo as a kid. I think there's a lot more there than what he's shown, personally. Then he goes to Seattle's cesspool...

I'd do this, scraping players that need real opportunities with a good team. He's one for sure.

Dunne is a good option.  It would make sense as a potential replacement for Zaddy, as long as we have Guddy.  Not sure if he bumps down Kylington.  I liked the way that Kylington looked with Tanev.  Unless we moved Kyl, I would tend to keep him there unless he falters.

The thing is though that Tanev will miss some time.  We need at least a 4/5 guy in the short term.  Dunne seemed to me to be able to play LD/RD, so he may be a good option either way.

43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The thing is though that Tanev will miss some time.  We need at least a 4/5 guy in the short term.  Dunne seemed to me to be able to play LD/RD, so he may be a good option either way.

I would assume they will re-sign Stone and he will cover for Tanev until he returns.

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Not to sure why everyone wants Puljujarvi his biggest talent is he cleans his nose with his tounge. If this kid was not a standout with the two they have he isn't going to make it. IMHO I would not a guy like Valeri Nichshkin be a better fit. Guy has been playing well. Big skates smart with the puck can win corner battles has 52 points in Regular season, 14 points in the playoffs. Be a great fit on  a second line RW. What we need is some size speed on the wings which was missing in the playoffs. IMHO this is a better fit than the fool up north. As seen in the graph above, stay with what you know and not gamble on what may become. Mags and Nichushkin have proven they can. If your going to trade a pick use it to move a contract out IE Lucic, Monhan, 

Flames are not going to be able to afford Nichuskin that is why. I agree he is a great player but he's about to get paid. 

The rationale behind Puljujarvi is he really looks like the next Nichuskin. High pick, with really good underlying numbers, but not really in a position to thrive or breakout on his current team. You can get Puljujarvi for cheaper than Nichuskin and I think you very likely have the same player in 2 years from now. 

26 minutes ago, taz89 said:

I would assume they will re-sign Stone and he will cover for Tanev until he returns.

Don't get me wrong, Stone was fine for what he was asked to do.  He wasn't good enough to play 82 games.  As a temporary solution, it's okay.  But depth was obviously an issue during the playoffs, no?

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Don't get me wrong, Stone was fine for what he was asked to do.  He wasn't good enough to play 82 games.  As a temporary solution, it's okay.  But depth was obviously an issue during the playoffs, no?

Good point and yes Dunn would be a good addition.  

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Flames are not going to be able to afford Nichuskin that is why. I agree he is a great player but he's about to get paid. 

The rationale behind Puljujarvi is he really looks like the next Nichuskin. High pick, with really good underlying numbers, but not really in a position to thrive or breakout on his current team. You can get Puljujarvi for cheaper than Nichuskin and I think you very likely have the same player in 2 years from now. 

The underline is where you lose me. As much as I dispise the skid marks up north you can not disagree that they have 2 studs. They make everyone around them better except this kid, hell even Krack head scores when he plays with them. This organization is always looking for bargin bin projects, they have never worked. Your points are valid but the same you can not become a contender by constantly filling the roster with spare parts. In order to take a step we have to do so in a upward trajectory that will mean sacrificing to gain. We have to stop tossing draft picks away at something that hasn't been successful with the leagues two best players on a line. 

5 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

The underline is where you lose me. As much as I dispise the skid marks up north you can not disagree that they have 2 studs. They make everyone around them better except this kid, hell even Krack head scores when he plays with them. This organization is always looking for bargin bin projects, they have never worked. Your points are valid but the same you can not become a contender by constantly filling the roster with spare parts. In order to take a step we have to do so in a upward trajectory that will mean sacrificing to gain. We have to stop tossing draft picks away at something that hasn't been successful with the leagues two best players on a line. 

I would suggest that Pooly spent more time on a 3rd line than with the top two players.  Not just last season.  It's not a question of how he did as much as whether you can get a bargain that looks like he could do 10x better.  Currently, he looks no more of a finisher than Dube, but the signs point to a better player.  What was Lindholm before he showed up in Calgary; a player that looked good but wasn't type cast properly.  

Here's a thing for you to consider.  Chaisson and Neal looked good playing with the Oilers top 2, but were a black hole elsewhere.  Playing well with them or not playing well with them means little.  Back then there was more unit passing.  Right now, you would be lucky to get a shot on net playing with either of them.  Puck hogs.  A D is going to pass to them.  They are not going to pass to you.

Any trade for Pooly is asset management.  If a 2nd has 50% chance of making the NHL at best, and Pooly is already one, is that throwing away a pick?  I also would be more like to trade a player with salary.    Don't get me wrong, Dube seems to have a high ceiling, but he has been here a long time and has not taken huge steps.  He was given top line minutes, 2nd line and 3rd line and hasn't produced any more than Pooly.  My bigger complaint is that he is too easy to knock off the puck.  That's more observation than facts.  Dube had a decent finish to the season, but not great for more than 3/4 of it.  His playoffs were less than good. 

Pooly hasn't been well coached since he arrived.  Maybe his last coach wasn't able to have time to correct it.  Under Sutter I would expect better use of his tools.  We lacked size and speed on the wings at times.  We lacked RHS on the wings mostly.  If he could play a defensive role, then we would have a good candidate to play RW with Backlund.  

47 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

It's not easy playing with superstars and sometimes it comes down to fit and chemistry rather than skill and talent.  Puljujarvi has at least been sound defensively even though the offense hasn't been there.

Puljujarvi should not cost a lot to acquire and that's why the discussion.  Nichushkin on the other hand is looking at $6-mil range.

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Flames contract projections from an NJ fan.

Has Gudbranson getting 3 and Jarnkrok getting 4.4 which is rather ridiculous.

It's hard to put a value on Jarny.  He got stuck making $2M for a long time and has never made very much.  He's due for a raise, but I would play him no more than $2M.  Guddy probably should make that much.  He had $4M average up to the time he came here.

I can't see Tkachuk making 11.2 and Gaudreau making a million less.  

4 hours ago, tmac70 said:

McDavid and Draisaitl are great players yes but they actually have not really made players better actually. I don’t really agree with the premise that elite players always make whom ever  better. It can be hard to play with elite players sometimes. Look at the Pens and Crosby. 

anyway this all comes down to whether or not you believe in analytics. The analytics say that Puljujarvi is a play driver who is ready to break out and the flames are in a position where they need to find bargains so that’s a bet I’m willing to make. 

Ok. So while I’m not a fan of pool party, I’m reading everything you guys are writing and I had a thought (dangerous, I know). The fact that he has great underlying numbers and tends to drive in and around the front of the net, even though he’s poor at finishing on his own, maybe him getting the puck into the high danger scoring zones will give the finishers we DO HAVE on the team more opportunities to score. 

There’s no arguing that we could definitely use some more players that drive the front of the net. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I certainly didn't see a $4.4-mil Jarnkrok with the Flames.  If he's getting that on the open market then the Flames need to stay away from that.  $2.2-mil max in my opinion.  He's a 3rd/4th liner.

40 minutes ago, cross16 said:

McDavid and Draisaitl are great players yes but they actually have not really made players better actually. I don’t really agree with the premise that elite players always make whom ever  better. It can be hard to play with elite players sometimes. Look at the Pens and Crosby. 

anyway this all comes down to whether or not you believe in analytics. The analytics say that Puljujarvi is a play driver who is ready to break out and the flames are in a position where they need to find bargains so that’s a bet I’m willing to make. 

It wouldnt hurt to have another skilled body that doesnt mind bringing the puck to the crease area and causing trouble. For the most part only Coleman and Backlund are the ones most likely to do that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I certainly didn't see a $4.4-mil Jarnkrok with the Flames.  If he's getting that on the open market then the Flames need to stay away from that.  $2.2-mil max in my opinion.  He's a 3rd/4th liner.

Agreed. I also don’t think we saw what Jarny could really do this year. He played to his defensive abilities primarily, but I believe there’s more offence to be had there. Plus I like that he can slot in at C and RW. 

I would venture a guess that Jarny would accept a $2M x 2 or 3 years to continue playing with Lindholm and his other countrymen. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Other than Jarnkrok, I think the numbers for the other players are within range, even if the higher end of the range.  Yes Gudbranson will get offers.  He had a good year.  He never even wanted to sign with us at first because we only offered $1.9-mil and he reluctantly signed on the last day before camp.

Someone is going to give Gudbranson $3-mil x 2-years.  RHS RD costs a bit more than LHS LD.  Gudbranson also fights and stuff. I'm hoping he would stay $2.2-mil on 4 year.  He's really found his game here under Sutter.

6 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Ok. So while I’m not a fan of pool party, I’m reading everything you guys are writing and I had a thought (dangerous, I know). The fact that he has great underlying numbers and tends to drive in and around the front of the net, even though he’s poor at finishing on his own, maybe him getting the puck into the high danger scoring zones will give the finishers we DO HAVE on the team more opportunities to score. 

There’s no arguing that we could definitely use some more players that drive the front of the net. 

You posted that as I was typing my similar thoughts. I wouldnt call it great minds thinking alike but greasy goals pay the bills too.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Someone is going to give Gudbranson $3-mil x 2-years.  RHS RD costs a bit more than LHS LD.  Gudbranson also fights and stuff. I'm hoping he would stay $2.2-mil on 4 year.  He's really found his game here under Sutter.

I'm fine with Gudbranson returning at his 1.9 or less. 

At the end of the day he's a 3rd pairing player that saw sheltered minutes at 5 on 5 and contributes very little offensively. He's only had more than 10pts in a season twice and he's played 641 games. When you're paying 2-3 for that it's an overpay, but someone might be desperate. 

Gudbranson had a good season, but there's a lot of similar D that will be available. BT can replace him without an overpay

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm fine with Gudbranson returning at his 1.9 or less. 

At the end of the day he's a 3rd pairing player that saw sheltered minutes at 5 on 5 and contributes very little offensively. He's only had more than 10pts in a season twice and he's played 641 games. When you're paying 2-3 for that it's an overpay, but someone might be desperate. 

Gudbranson had a good season, but there's a lot of similar D that will be available. BT can replace him without an overpay

Kulak comes to mind… might not have the fighting penchant, but big body and plays well and would come in around $1.8-$2M I assume. 

I think Gud would really consider staying in CGY for a similar salary if we give him a little term. 2-3 years. 

Couple players in Vegas to keep an eye on

Nicolas Roy

Nic Hague

Vegas has 200k in cap space and 18 players signed. They are a team that should legitimately worry about an offersheet.

Roy is a 6'4" RHS C/RW. He put up 39pts this past season. He's made league minimum for the entirety of his career.

Hague is a 6'6" LHD. Steady but not flashy. Coming off his ELC

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Kulak comes to mind… might not have the fighting penchant, but big body and plays well and would come in around $1.8-$2M I assume. 

I think Gud would really consider staying in CGY for a similar salary if we give him a little term. 2-3 years. 

Considering the age and what similar players seem to get, I think he is looking for $4M.  Kinda like a young Tanev.  Just a solid player.  Would I pay $4M?  Not really.