2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

When we're capped out so hard, yes it depends on the prospects because we probably can't add any star players from UFA for the next 7 years.  We need Coronato to score 40-G in 3 years.  Wolf to push Markstrom as the new starter and Vezina level goaltender.  One of Poirier or Kuznetsov to emerge as a new top pair LD.  And we need to hit a homerun in the late rounds like maybe Rory Kerins becomes our #1 Center point-per-game level. Etc, etc.  It could happen but needs all the planets to align.

One thing people are also overlooking is they've already said they expect a double digit cap jump as early as 2024..  these high deals will look like bargains when teams start handing out $15m deals ..and they will..

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

While the new core will still be here after 2 years, you've got to believe they will start to decline in production.  We are not serious contenders if Huberdeau is a 75-point guy and Kadri declines into a 3rd line checking forward strictly.  I mean, unless the cap explodes upwards (hyperinflation)... Otherwise, that's a lot of money tied to two players past their primes.

Even if the cap only climbs at the $1M per season for the next 4 years and they sign Lindholm for 10M will only take up roughly 31%, Iggy, JBO and Kippers last year here they combined for 32%.  The difference then is they had in the pipeline that made a difference was Backlund, Brodie and Bouma.  Right now I have a little more faith in the development system as compared to then.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

While the new core will still be here after 2 years, you've got to believe they will start to decline in production.  We are not serious contenders if Huberdeau is a 75-point guy and Kadri declines into a 3rd line checking forward strictly.  I mean, unless the cap explodes upwards (hyperinflation)... Otherwise, that's a lot of money tied to two players past their primes.

For sure, I just don't think that will happen in 2 years. Could be wrong but i'm comfortable thinking they can get 4-5 years out of those guys. 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

I can see I need to stop using names as examples in my analogies ..lol.. I wasn't targeting hall his was just a name that came to mind how we can get. $6m player for $3m .. I definitely wouldn't use a 2023 1st on him 

Wasn't directed at you. Hall just keeps coming up in this thread and I don't get why. 

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Wasn't directed at you. Hall just keeps coming up in this thread and I don't get why. 

I brought up Hall. And I still think he’d be a good get given his speed plus offensive ability. However, we’re in “cap-in, cap-out territory” so his $6M salary would be hard to fit in without Lucic’s salary going out. And BOS ain’t trading Hall for Looch, so it’s moot. 

9 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I brought up Hall. And I still think he’d be a good get given his speed plus offensive ability. However, we’re in “cap-in, cap-out territory” so his $6M salary would be hard to fit in without Lucic’s salary going out. And BOS ain’t trading Hall for Looch, so it’s moot. 

I agree that trades have to be money in money out.  We have to consider guys like Hanifin or Kylington or Dube or Valimaki going out to bring in an equivalent cost talent coming back in.  I would like to see that type of move.  Maybe it would hurt a bit in one place and help a bit in another.  There isn't a variety of UFA's that justify a big signing (now).  Has to be a bigger dollar going out to allow a big dollar thing coming back.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I agree that trades have to be money in money out.  We have to consider guys like Hanifin or Kylington or Dube or Valimaki going out to bring in an equivalent cost talent coming back in.  I would like to see that type of move.  Maybe it would hurt a bit in one place and help a bit in another.  There isn't a variety of UFA's that justify a big signing (now).  Has to be a bigger dollar going out to allow a big dollar thing coming back.

Exactly. And I’ve long been an advocate to trading Hanifin, however, with the make up of the team today and winning a Stanley cup being such a battle of attrition, I might be changing my position on Hanifin. I think moving Valimaki is a priority, and Dube is an option. I also like the idea of signing Rodrigues C/RW. 

As an outlier, if Stastny would come in cheap on a 1 year deal for a shot at a cup… my goodness that would be quite the C depth. We’d go from having so little C depth to some of the best C depth in the league in 1 off-season. 😳

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zima said:

You know what I think doesn't matter what this team does you will never be satisfied. Only disappointment I have is losing Mony now that he is in full recovery we paid a team to take him off our hands I feel that was very disrespectful to hi9om and he will put up 30 goals this yr and we paid a team a1st plus gave them 30 extra goal for the season I would have rather paid to move Loooch and showed Mony we appreciate all he has done for us.  

the way I look at it, even though we know it didn't go down that way...

so Tkachuk wants a trade.

Flames get from Florida:

Huberdeau, Weegar, a middle 6 level prospect, and a First Rounder.

now, if we look at it a different way. 

Tkachuk and Monahan 

For

Huberdeau, Weegar, And the Prospect. 

it doesn't look as good, but i view Huberdeau and Weegar as same to or above Gaudreau and Andersson. 

Logically it is different, but BT I think, views the 1st rounder as the trade off for Kadri.

so I'm all over the map here.

but Tkachuk and Monahan for, 

Huberdeau, Weegar, Kadri and a prospect. 

And too bad we lost Gaudreau for nothing but we gained Kadri for Monahan and a 1st and Kadri is the more mobile of the player, and better definitely.

At this point I would think that we might see a small trade, probably closer to camp or during camp. I think they might look to sign another skilled winger like Rodrigues or Milano. I think you might see one of the defensemen who don’t make the team moved for a pick.

• Like 1

I've been more worried about Tkachuk slowing down due to his lack of speed. I think he's a smart player, but he tends to go quiet at times. I wish him well, but I have a feeling these guys will last as long as he'll produce, similarly with Gaudreau. As a trade off, 

out is Johnny and Tkachuk, 

in is Hub, Weeg, Kadri. It's a good trade off. And all of that is basically off Tkachuk...

54 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Flames get from Florida:

Tkachuk and Monahan 

For

it doesn't look as good, but i view Huberdeau and Weegar as same to or above Gaudreau and Andersson. 

Logically it is different, but BT I think, views the 1st rounder as the trade off for Kadri.

And too bad we lost Gaudreau for nothing but we gained Kadri for Monahan and a 1st and Kadri is the more mobile of the player, and better definitely.

See I look at it as this, 

CGY  recieved 

Weegar, Hubudredeau, Kadri a 1st,  Prospect, future considerations

CGY traded

Tkachuk, Monhan and 1st 

Under the circumstances Treliving was put in thats a pretty soild return, JG was a wash, nothing that could have been done

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

See I look at it as this, 

CGY  recieved 

Weegar, Hubudredeau, Kadri a 1st,  Prospect, future considerations

CGY traded

Tkachuk, Monhan and 1st 

Under the circumstances Treliving was put in thats a pretty soild return, JG was a wash, nothing that could have been done

BT definitely earned his keep and probably saved his job. The next step is the players have to perform.

it's been a great summer.

i was upset, but I figured I'd be happy either way... rebuild or find a way. I just come on to read posts as I think the posters in here are very up to date. I haven't liked SN's way of sharing news and find their website unappealing, and TSN has gotten bad with coverage, and a similarly poor interface...

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Flames get from Florida:

Tkachuk and Monahan 

For

Tbh.. I think if you go back a couple years in the threads ..there were suggestions of trading Johnny and Tkachuk and going after Huberdeau ..   I've kind of looked at this whole thing as 

Huberdeau , Weegar, prospect and a 1st for Johnny and Chucky,.       Then Monahan and a first for a Kadri .. ..   all in all 2 pretty good deals on paper 

• Like 1

Not that I am on board with moving any of the top 6 defensemen, but if we did, would Hanifin for Garland make sense for both teams? Hanifin wouldn’t be my choice to trade, but I can see the reasoning behind it. Garland checks a lot boxes and there has been reports that Vancouver would trade him.

42 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Not that I am on board with moving any of the top 6 defensemen, but if we did, would Hanifin for Garland make sense for both teams? Hanifin wouldn’t be my choice to trade, but I can see the reasoning behind it. Garland checks a lot boxes and there has been reports that Vancouver would trade him.

Not sure I see the fit for Hanifin in Vancouver with Hughes and OEL both on the left side and making so much.  He may be an upgrade over OEL, but not a pressing need whereas they could use a good RHS D.

1 hour ago, The_Snowbear said:

Iam playing my Career on Nhl 22 and so far have 97 point in the season 77 goals rest assists

Is NHL 22 even playable?  I hear EA has gone down the drain with micro transactions galore.  Make you pay extra on top of buying the full game in the first place to get game features that once upon a time came standard.

13 hours ago, LouCifer said:

I wouldn’t be so confident BT is holding on to the 2023 pick to use it at the draft. If this team explodes this year, it will be on the table at the TDL to go for a cup. In saying this, I do believe P.Kane will be targeted by BT. 

I believe you are correct. Would there be something wrong with trying to get him now. Let’s try and swing for the fences? It may be true that CHI has already paid Kane his $4million signing bonus for this year in July so his cap hit is under $6 million. If someone can confirm this that would be great as I’m not 100% sure. I found it on an article from Oilers Nation.

CHI no doubt wants good young players or draft picks in return. What would you offer? That $4 million dollar signing bonus may cost you a second rounder to start.

Hanifin or Kylington with Valimaki, Lucic with another young forward, and a pick? Even without Lucic (CHI may not want him either) this could be done if using another player. Something else perhaps?

This would give us an amazing top 6, still have solid D and potentially might reduce the cap hit for this year to go shopping at TDL in case the season goes well.

I would go for this and Kane is still a good player and can play LW or RW. He could also sign a short term deal for another 1-2 years after this year if we could afford him keeping in mind his age and willingness to stay with a contender for less money. Would he be willing to come here? Could the summer be even wilder? Perhaps it’s not even feasible but I would sure try. Would you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Weegar for Miller?

As much as i like Miller (and I’ve been advocating to trade for him a while now) Kadri’s addition to the team makes a Miller acquisition moot. We have our 2C now. 

I’ve also been reading about how EDM is targeting P.Kane out of Chicago as a first priority, and Phil Kessel as a fallback option. I don’t think this rumour is far fetched, and much like our own Ryan Leslie is plugged into the team and gave us the eyeballs emoji before the news broke, I believe Gene Principe has had some inside information in the past. That said, I’d love to snag P.Kane - a left shot RW - but I don’t think the math for the cap works. The only scenario I see would be Lucic + our 2023 1st for P.Kane @ 50% salary ($5,250,000). Looch makes $5,250,000 so we would still have the same cap space, but lose the 2023 1st rounder in the process for 1 year of P.Kane. The other thing to consider is that if in fact EDM is trying to trade for him, us acquiring P.Kane keeps him away from EDM. I kind of doubt that Looch would waive his NMC for Chicago though. 

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I like the idea of Rodrigues - but - I feel we’d be better off signing Stastny if he’ll accept a 1 year x $1M contract for a shot at a cup. Strength down the middle trumps strength on the wings all day long in my eyes, and if one of our Centermen gets injured, Stastny would be an incredible insurance policy. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, 7wit said:

I believe you are correct. Would there be something wrong with trying to get him now. Let’s try and swing for the fences? It may be true that CHI has already paid Kane his $4million signing bonus for this year in July so his cap hit is under $6 million. If someone can confirm this that would be great as I’m not 100% sure. I found it on an article from Oilers Nation.

CHI no doubt wants good young players or draft picks in return. What would you offer? That $4 million dollar signing bonus may cost you a second rounder to start.

Hanifin or Kylington with Valimaki, Lucic with another young forward, and a pick? Even without Lucic (CHI may not want him either) this could be done if using another player. Something else perhaps?

This would give us an amazing top 6, still have solid D and potentially might reduce the cap hit for this year to go shopping at TDL in case the season goes well.

I would go for this and Kane is still a good player and can play LW or RW. He could also sign a short term deal for another 1-2 years after this year if we could afford him keeping in mind his age and willingness to stay with a contender for less money. Would he be willing to come here? Could the summer be even wilder? Perhaps it’s not even feasible but I would sure try. Would you?

A quick look on CapFriendly shows me that P.Kane’s contract this season has a $4M signing bonus (I assume it gets paid before the upcoming season and I would believe he already has been paid) but then his salary for the season is only $2.9M. He has one of those contracts that back-dives so that even though his cap hit is $10.5M, his actual salary for 2022-2023 is $6.9M and $4M of that is a signing bonus that’s likely already been paid. 

I think what this means is that if Chicago retains 50% in a trade, they really only pay P.Kane 50% of the $2.9M salary for the upcoming season ($1.45M), if I’m correct.

Interestingly, Looch has a cap hit of $5.25M (exactly 50% of P.Kane’s cap hit) and he’s already been paid a $3M signing bonus, and will make only a $1M salary for this season. 

CHI has to be careful when trading P.Kane and Toews because those 2 players account for over $20M in Chicago’s cap space, and they have to make sure they stay above the cap floor. For this reason, CHI may be interested in a package from us including Lucic because his cap hit is $5.25 but he’s only getting paid $1M in actual dollars. 

Again, I just can’t see Looch waiving his NMC for Chicago, and I’m starting to think we shouldn’t trade Hanifin. If we sent Dube and Valimaki to Chicago for P.Kane right now, I think that leaves us with under $800k in cap space so we can’t sign Ruzicka. It’s a dicey one for sure. 

Chicago also doesn’t want to acquire impact players for this season. They’re tanking for Bedard. Looch wouldn’t hurt their chances for Bedard, but Hanifin and Dube might. It’s a tough one. I’m not sure there’s a clear path to acquire P.Kane to start the season. However, P.Kane’s cap hit will be prorated at the TDL, and he could technically be had for “less” at that point. If I understand correctly. 

I'm still looking at Barzal. 

To NYI,

Hanifin + Dube + 2023 1st

To CGY,

Barzal + 2023 Stanley Cup

Barzal is RHS and can play RW.  His game is similar to Gaudreau/Marner.  Can drive play.  Can finish.  He's the real deal playing in a contract year and could hit 90-points with Huberdeau.