2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

19 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

A little surprised that they structured the deal this way, but they couldn’t afford to not sign him.

very surprised as well. I had heard the flames weren’t fans of signing bonuses.

this is a great contract for Huberdeau who took advantage of the situation. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

very surprised as well. I had heard the flames weren’t fans of signing bonuses.

this is a great contract for Huberdeau who took advantage of the situation. 

Unfortunately deals with heavy signing bonuses are the going rate for star players, it’s just that the Flames always seemed reluctant to give them out.

Sort of reminds me of when the Jays refused to give out contracts longer than 5 years. On paper it makes sense, but when all the top stars sign with other teams and you can’t retain your players, it all goes out the window.

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not really no but this is also a player a year older so now signed longer.  This is going to hurt more. 

but as I said in both cases the flames didn’t exactly have a choice. 

He didn't have a choice, no.

He did, in the past, have many choices so not off the hook IMHO.

But this is a definite step towards redemption.    Will be interesting to see if there is a NTC.   

It is an overpayment but by how much....maybe $1.5 million per year too much?  Other guys will shave a bit off just to play with him.   If you're going to overpay, you do it with the 100 point guy. 

I hate the contract.   I hated his free agency more though 

Obviously, it's a monster deal, but it made sense for Huberdeau to sign now. He's coming off a 115pt year, don't know if he will post that this year. Get that money locked in right now.

Also it's massive for the Flames to not have that storyline clouding their entire season

24 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

A little surprised that they structured the deal this way, but they couldn’t afford to not sign him.

It's buyout proof by the looks of it, but I haven't done the math (Capfriendly calc that is LOL).

I guess you can compare this to Gaudreau (deal in CGY offered) in a weird sort of way:

Hubie

One year at $5.9M

Eight years at $10.5M.

Johnny

One year at $6.75M

Eight years at $10.5M.

The only difference is we had the $6.75M Gaudreau year.

All in all, I think Hubie plays longer.  Gaydreau is stuck in a place he really doesn't know and is a long long drive away from family.  At some point it means less, but I can't see him wanting to play in 7 years time.  

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

They gave him the Gaudreau offer 10.5x8

It's a lot. I'm of the mind though that it's easier to build around star players than it is to acquire star players. Make it work

This is a big time move, well done BT. An extended Huberdeau, Weegar, Schwindt and a 1st is a win

We sorta had to because it leaked that those were the numbers.  No choice.  And Huberdeau deserves it whether it's the right move for us or not.  Huberdeau has been better than Gaudreau throughout the years.

Just now, The_People1 said:

We sorta had to because it leaked that those were the numbers.  No choice.  And Huberdeau deserves it whether it's the right move for us or not.  Huberdeau has been better than Gaudreau throughout the years.

He was getting big money regardless.

I think Flames fans will be relieved when he puts up his 80+pts this year and there's no worry of him walking.

Worry about the future when it comes, enjoy it now. It's been a roller-coaster offseason and this is a piece of good news for the team

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not really no but this is also a player a year older so now signed longer.  This is going to hurt more. 

but as I said in both cases the flames didn’t exactly have a choice. 

They're the same age .. yes the contract will go one year longer .. but the last 2 years are an easy out if they really have to .. this is the the most elite player to play in Calgary since the 80s 

He's not a banger ..no reason he can't age like a Marleau or a Pavelski 

40 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, Little Johnny. Look at what you left on the table, we WERE your family. Hope that cannon in Ohio treats you well and you can start new family. The burning ring of fire has moved on. Welcome HUBY!

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

They're the same age .. yes the contract will go one year longer .. but the last 2 years are an easy out if they really have to .. this is the the most elite player to play in Calgary since the 80s 

He's not a banger ..no reason he can't age like a Marleau or a Pavelski 

yes I know they are same age today but they won’t be when the deal starts. That is pretty key imo. 

im not trying to, nor will I, try and make people dislike the deal. As I said the flames had to basically give him whatever he wanted. Huberdeau had all the leverage and there is absolutely a positive to take it her they have a player like him locked up. 

it just took a bad contract that’s all. 

3 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, Little Johnny. Look at what you left on the table, we WERE your family. Hope that cannon in Ohio treats you well and you can start new family. The burning ring of fire has moved on. Welcome HUBY!

We may regret the 10.5, but we would have easily have regretted the $10.5 going to Little Johnny.

Here's what I couldn't tell you.

If we signed JG, does Tkachuk still want out?

We wouldn't give him the same deal, but I also think he wanted out.

Would JG be able to put up 115 with Toffoli or Mangiapane?

I tend to think Hubie is capable of doing that without Tkachuk.

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

yes I know they are same age today but they won’t be when the deal starts. That is pretty key imo. 

im not trying to, nor will I, try and make people dislike the deal. As I said the flames had to basically give him whatever he wanted. Huberdeau had all the leverage and there is absolutely a positive to take it her they have a player like him locked up. 

There is no question we were signing one of the Johnny's to a bad deal for the future.

8 years of Gaudreau will age as bad as 9 years of Hubie.

Maybe one looks better when they turn 35.

Your guess is as good as mine if Hubie's looks better.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We may regret the 10.5, but we would have easily have regretted the $10.5 going to Little Johnny.

Huberdeau is without a doubt better.   It's a bad contract but it looks better on Huberdeau than on Gaudreau.

And Huberdeau coud potentially age well.  I would not be totally shocked if he puts up 100 points with us 5 years from now.

Just now, travel_dude said:

I think he still wouid have ..from what I've been able to piece together from his and other comments.. there was a threat of an offer sheet..coming from st Louis.. he did say it was once he started talking to other teams he decided ..  but kudos seriously.. he did it the right way .. played a part in leaving Calgary as good as when he left it..

I was thinking that today too.. that eastern conference is brutal to play in.. more good teams ...better goalies night after night . .. Huberdeau is going to have more games against sofer competition..  playing with a better center .. I mean seriously.. he made Bennett and Duclair look like all stars 

6 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Huberdeau is without a doubt better.   It's a bad contract but it looks better on Huberdeau than on Gaudreau.

And Huberdeau coud potentially age well.  I would not be totally shocked if he puts up 100 points with us 5 years from now.

Just found this .. playmakers last longer 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think he still wouid have ..from what I've been able to piece together from his and other comments.. there was a threat of an offer sheet..coming from st Louis.. he did say it was once he started talking to other teams he decided ..  but kudos seriously.. he did it the right way .. played a part in leaving Calgary as good as when he left it..

I was thinking that today too.. that eastern conference is brutal to play in.. more good teams ...better goalies night after night . .. Huberdeau is going to have more games against sofer competition..  playing with a better center .. I mean seriously.. he made Bennett and Duclair look like all stars 

I mean it comes down to being forced to get a trade that actually made us better.

Maybe not as long as Tkachuk would have remained good, but who knows.

We went from agony of defeat to thrill of victory.

For you ABC Wide World of Sports vets.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I mean it comes down to being forced to get a trade that actually made us better.

Maybe not as long as Tkachuk would have remained good, but who knows.

We went from agony of defeat to thrill of victory.

For you ABC Wide World of Sports vets.

Difficult to say comparing him to Tkachuk, they are separated by 4 years and I think most of us expect Tkachuk to burn out faster.    Against Gaudreau, again I think Huberdeau likely to last longer.

The issue, of course, is we lost 2 and got back one lol.     That issue aside, today is a very good day

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

While I have multiple issues with the numbers in this table I do very much agree he has the potential to last much longer than we expect

If we are expecting him to be the best player on the team in 7-8 years, then we have bigger problems.

Can he be a playmaker for most of his contract?

That's really what we were expecting Gaudreau to be.

But that was also assuming we had goons to protect him.

No onto finishing the expected moves and signings.

I doubt we love them all, but this may be the start of more sensible moves.

Sign a top 6 capable winger or C for less than $3M.

Smart trade of one of the excess D at the least.

Move a decent D for a decent C.

We haven't improved since the day of the trade, just have more guys locked in.

Now tell me we have a deal for Necas and have signed a capable winger on the cheap.

I ain't greedy.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

The alternative was to not extend him and then trade him and Weegar at the TDL for picks and prospects to start a rebuild, which I would applaud.

So, bad contract vs rebuild.

I know which one I would've chose but of course this ownership group has no appetite for a rebuild.

And so we are back to the impossible position of being close and missing a Center and #1 LD with no great assets to use to get those pieces.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The alternative was to not extend him and then trade him and Weegar at the TDL for picks and prospects to start a rebuild, which I would applaud.

So, bad contract vs rebuild.

I know which one I would've chose but of course this ownership group has no appetite for a rebuild.

And so we are back to the impossible position of being close and missing a Center and #1 LD with no great assets to use to get those pieces.

The trade was never going to be a rebuild trade.

BT doesn't sign him, it's a trade for a similar return to what we got for Tkachuk.

Possibly younger with a top prospect instead of a pick.

If you like our #1 LD is Weegar.

We trade Hanifin for a C.

Or Valimaki + Dube for a C.

Think Necas or Roy.

Besides, we have some potential internal growth to consider.

Pelletier may be the next Gaudreau LOL.

Ruzie can replace Monahan.

Klapka can be the next Lucic.

Poirier/Luz could be the next Kylington/Tanev.