2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's not 0%.  Monahan is like an old aging heavyweight boxer who is always one punch away from winning the fight. He still has one of the best shots in the league if someone can find him in the slot... And if he can keep up with the play.  How about a 1st line,

Huberdeau - Monahan - Lindholm 

You get two of the leagues best carrying Monahan and we could possibly see Monahan back at 75-points if all goes well.

Great thought.

That would mean Ruzicka comes and rips a top 3 C spot. Stranger things have happened. Kylington is a good 20min/game 4D option. Who saw that coming? I sure didn't.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

It's not 0%.  Monahan is like an old aging heavyweight boxer who is always one punch away from winning the fight. He still has one of the best shots in the league if someone can find him in the slot... And if he can keep up with the play.  How about a 1st line,

You get two of the leagues best carrying Monahan and we could possibly see Monahan back at 75-points if all goes well.

Monahan in his prime was a pleasure to watch, he had some warts that’s for sure, but his release was amazing, and he was about as clutch as they come, how many OT winners does he have?

That being said he was never a great skater, and it has been really hard to watch his body fail him over the last few years. I really hope he is finally healthy and that he stays that way. I just don’t think he can keep up at the NHL level anymore. 

I also wouldn’t want to move Lindholm off of center at this point. He showed that he is one of the best two way centers in the league last year.

I hope Monahan can regain some of his form, but it hasn’t been there for quite some time, and honestly I don’t think he is among the 4 best centers in the organization at this point.

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The only thing that I agree with is sneaking them back down during the season. It becomes a whole other context.

But even then, mgrs would still rather make a deal. Minus Arizona, I think. They're not doing great with that mindset...

Mackey and Meloche are easier for a GM to just grab, since it's low risk.  Good insurance with a cheap premium.  Mackey has a high upside and is fairly young.  At worst, they can re-waive the player once they get their full roster back.  

But anyway, I won't go on and on about it.  I don't have any idea of what BT's plans are.  He signed Meloche and Zadorov before he got Weegar.  He re-signed He signed Kylington at fair market value on a two year deal.  He intends to sign Weegar.  We are now thick at D and thin up front.  I don't really expect Monahan to be bought out/traded and Lucic to be moved to BOS just for cap space.  If those things are done, it's to improve the depth.    

36 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Huberdeau had 80-assist last season so we're hoping that means Toffoli is going to be scoring 35+ this season... But Toffoli looked so bad down the stretch and into the playoffs.  I'm skeptical he can hold his own on the top line.

As for Monahan, I don't have any expectations.  He was so slow after one hip surgery.  He should be even slower after two.  Sutter will deploy him as a 4th liner again.  He needs to go... That cap hit.

Huberdeau had an 80 assist season playing primarily with Bennett who we all knew his shortcomings, and Duclair who's been passed around the league.  Toffoli isn't the model of consistent production, but I'd put him above the other two as a finisher. 

• Like 1

Ruzicka is the only RFA left, I am guessing he is looking for a one way deal, but Treliving usually plays hard ball on that.

I wonder if we target Stastny now that most of the cap is figured out. Stastny talked glowingly of Sutter last season. He would be a very good fit in top 9. Coaches love him because he does all the little things right. 

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Mangiapane-Stastny-Coleman

Pelletier-Backlund-Dube

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Monahan

30 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

If we eat salary on Lucic, and the Bruins are interested in bringing him back, can we get Craig Smith. He fits on the right side, he is really underrated. 

Eating salary is a bit of a distraction.  It's cap eating, isn't it?  He has $1M remaining on his actual salary.

So, if we take Smith, we add $4.3M of actual salary and send out $1M.

Sure, a more productive player, but a high actual cost at doing it.

I suppose no more expensive than Statsny for a one year deal.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I think too much is being made of the “surplus” on D. I actually think this is by design, both Sutter and Treliving are from the school of you can never have enough dmen. Outside of maybe Valimaki I think all of the guys on 1 way deals would clear waivers and even then I’m not so sure valimaki wouldn’t. I think they will look at a trade but I also don’t think any of the D they have carry a ton of trade value so even if they do I would expect a minor move if anything. 

not to mention the Wranglers lost multiple veteran dmen and are going to have a young d core next year.  Maybe a trade will happen but I’m certainly not holding my breath it will be much. 

Great story on exactly that today ..  i totally forgot we had Engelland on the farm in '04, but he was on a minor league deal and was too late to sign him to play in the playoffs 

https://flamesnation.ca/2022/08/03/brennan-evans/

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Huberdeau had 80-assist last season so we're hoping that means Toffoli is going to be scoring 35+ this season... But Toffoli looked so bad down the stretch and into the playoffs.  I'm skeptical he can hold his own on the top line.

As for Monahan, I don't have any expectations.  He was so slow after one hip surgery.  He should be even slower after two.  Sutter will deploy him as a 4th liner again.  He needs to go... That cap hit.

even in his weakened state , Monahan was a better center with Toffoli. His production fell off when Monahan got shut down . Jarnkrok didnt get the job done there . Toffoli can generate some, but he's mostly a finisher 

31 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

even in his weakened state , Monahan was a better center with Toffoli. His production fell off when Monahan got shut down . Jarnkrok didnt get the job done there . Toffoli can generate some, but he's mostly a finisher 

I'm always advocating trading players, it's what I do.

However, we should only trade players if the fans Really hate the trade.

Since many advocate for trading Monahan, we should keep him :)

Translation:  He's not worth anything why would we bother, not even sure he'd get picked up on waivers.   Meanwhile, in the event that his surgery really did solve things, he has the Potential to be a top player in the NHL, earn his $6m salary, and even get a raise.     It's his contract year.  If miracles are to happen, they are to happen in contract years.   If you believe in buy low sell high, Monahan is not a tradeable asset right now.  Maybe Hanifin.   

Now, if he Does pull off a miracle and has 30 goals in at tdl, guess what I'd be saying....although it would be hard, even for me.  Always liked Monahan.

4 hours ago, rickross said:

I’m glad we extended Kylington, he really took a major step last year and we don’t have anyone with his skating ability, it’s a very effective skill of his. We would have regretted trading him before seeing the full package he can develop into. Mangi is a bit pricey but he’s a 30+ goal scorer now so that’s the price. It would be great if Mangi was a better passer, he’s aggressive and can score in tight but he’s a bit one dimensional. 

I agree with most on here, we still need to make some upgrades and clear cap space, Kadri would have helped add to our skill and offence but don’t see that signing happening here. 

Have no fear!  Mangepane showed his playmaking skills in the juniors and in Stockton (his last 2junior years were over 100 points each), and he has improved every year he has played hockey.  I am confident we will see the playmaker come out this year.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised that he will create another solid scoring line with his skill sets expanding.  
I’m excited and thrilled with the contract, and it will end up being a steal!

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don't mind that but I think if your looking to elevate Mony, Hubie could do so, I just wouldn't put Lindholm at wing, The guy was top of his field last year so why demote him.  The only issue is who do you put with Lindholm on the top line? You can't put Toffoli on a Mony line, to slow.  For them you need playmakers and speed. Hubie is the type of player that is going to make others around him better, period.  Could a elevated Mony work sure, he isn't going to fail with Hubie on the wing. However you now need a top 3 winger/wingers for Lindholm.  Lindholm and mags are goal scoers, they need a playmaker, history has shown so does Mony. It doesn't matter how you arrange the chairs, we are presently 2 forwards short of being better than last year. The truth is when you start a statement with the word IF, historically it will not turn out favouarable. IF so and so finds or elevates their game.... its wishful thinking and hope, you can't win on hope. Sutter pretty communicates to the players, SHOW ME YOUR READY, Come take the spot, not play me more so I can get better. We are not in the bush league anymore, simply put if your prepared your ready, if you show your ready he will paly you, look no further than Kylington. 

? Lindholm Mags

Hubie Monhan ? 

10 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I don't mind that but I think if your looking to elevate Mony, Hubie could do so, I just wouldn't put Lindholm at wing, The guy was top of his field last year so why demote him.  The only issue is who do you put with Lindholm on the top line? You can't put Toffoli on a Mony line, to slow.  For them you need playmakers and speed. Hubie is the type of player that is going to make others around him better, period.  Could a elevated Mony work sure, he isn't going to fail with Hubie on the wing. However you now need a top 3 winger/wingers for Lindholm.  Lindholm and mags are goal scoers, they need a playmaker, history has shown so does Mony. It doesn't matter how you arrange the chairs, we are presently 2 forwards short of being better than last year. The truth is when you start a statement with the word IF, historically it will not turn out favouarable. IF so and so finds or elevates their game.... its wishful thinking and hope, you can't win on hope. Sutter pretty communicates to the players, SHOW ME YOUR READY, Come take the spot, not play me more so I can get better. We are not in the bush league anymore, simply put if your prepared your ready, if you show your ready he will paly you, look no further than Kylington. 

? Lindholm Mags

Hubie Monhan ? 

We have a couple of wingers that need playmakers.

Toffoli and Mangiapane both need them

Lindholm is a playmaker/scorer/defensive player.

Monahan used to be a finisher, but needed an elite playmaker.

Mangiapane has shown that he can score with Backlund, but he isn't great passing.

Or perhaps that is because his most frequent linemates weren't scoring much.

If Mangiapane is your best scoring F (can play RW) not named Hubie or Lindholm, then you have a choice.

Load up the top line or create a 2nd scoring line.

Yes, you can always fall back to Mange on with Backlund and Coleman, but that's about it.

Hoping for Monahan with Dube and Toffoli seems like a reach.

Creating a 2nd scoring line relies on a decent C and a playmaker.

Then you can use Mange there or Toffoli.

3rd line is Backlund Coleman.

I don't think it's an impossible feat.

Have assets to get a 2/3C in trade.

Assuming we could move Monahan and Lucic, we have roster spots for kids that prove they belong.

So, we might be smart to trade Valimaki + Dube for Necas.

Might take a bit more than that, but gives them a LD they don't have excess of.

Dube replaces Necas.

Hubie-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Pelletier-Necas-Toffoli

Coleman-Backlund-Rodrigues (UFA)

Rooney-Ruzicka-Lewis

Our top line has been nuked so every combo should be considered.  Maybe Huberdeau with Ruzicka.  Maybe Huberdeau - Ruzicka - Dube as line... Dube had his best numbers on RW so why not move him back to RW?

Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman was so good together.  I think we should keep them together.  

This could leave Pelletier - Lindholm - Toffoli.

28 minutes ago, flames for life said:

Have no fear!  Mangepane showed his playmaking skills in the juniors and in Stockton (his last 2junior years were over 100 points each), and he has improved every year he has played hockey.  I am confident we will see the playmaker come out this year.

I think people will be pleasantly surprised that he will create another solid scoring line with his skill sets expanding.  
I’m excited and thrilled with the contract, and it will end up being a steal!

I agree, worth noting is his regular line with Backlund and Coleman, Mang was the only one who didn't reach 200 shots on goal, Backlund and Coleman also had well below average years in shooting%, I like the chances of more helpers this year.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I'm always advocating trading players, it's what I do.

However, we should only trade players if the fans Really hate the trade.

Since many advocate for trading Monahan, we should keep him :)

Translation:  He's not worth anything why would we bother, not even sure he'd get picked up on waivers.   Meanwhile, in the event that his surgery really did solve things, he has the Potential to be a top player in the NHL, earn his $6m salary, and even get a raise.     It's his contract year.  If miracles are to happen, they are to happen in contract years.   If you believe in buy low sell high, Monahan is not a tradeable asset right now.  Maybe Hanifin.   

Now, if he Does pull off a miracle and has 30 goals in at tdl, guess what I'd be saying....although it would be hard, even for me.  Always liked Monahan.

we are in 100% agreement - i dont want to see him moved unless absolutely necessary 

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

? Lindholm Mags

Hubie Monhan ? 

That last paring part…I suggested that a week Or

so…

Manji/Lindholm/?

Hubs/Monahan/Toffoli

We just need a passer/Playmaker/Power Forward type for the RW

3rd line is Not bad with:

Pelletier/Backlund/Coleman

4th would be pretty solid

too iF we used Lewi and Lucic as spares:

Dube/Ruzi/Russ

Lucic

Lewis 

all and all, we really only need to

shed Lucic’s cap and add a top RW..dose not even need to be a legit #1 RW, just a guy that is top 2 is fine 

36 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We have a couple of wingers that need playmakers.

Toffoli and Mangiapane both need them

Lindholm is a playmaker/scorer/defensive player.

Monahan used to be a finisher, but needed an elite playmaker.

Mangiapane has shown that he can score with Backlund, but he isn't great passing.

Or perhaps that is because his most frequent linemates weren't scoring much.

If Mangiapane is your best scoring F (can play RW) not named Hubie or Lindholm, then you have a choice.

Load up the top line or create a 2nd scoring line.

Yes, you can always fall back to Mange on with Backlund and Coleman, but that's about it.

Hoping for Monahan with Dube and Toffoli seems like a reach.

Creating a 2nd scoring line relies on a decent C and a playmaker.

Then you can use Mange there or Toffoli.

3rd line is Backlund Coleman.

I don't think it's an impossible feat.

Have assets to get a 2/3C in trade.

Assuming we could move Monahan and Lucic, we have roster spots for kids that prove they belong.

So, we might be smart to trade Valimaki + Dube for Necas.

Might take a bit more than that, but gives them a LD they don't have excess of.

Dube replaces Necas.

Hubie-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Pelletier-Necas-Toffoli

Coleman-Backlund-Rodrigues (UFA)

Rooney-Ruzicka-Lewis

Not sure how you take prospect and toss him into a 2nd line top 6 spot, and a unknown unproven trade ahead of Coleman and Backs. The fact that IF comes into the statement from a instructor and teacher that word I hate espeically when it comes to a situation of competition. If means theres a very high level of uncertainty in my world. So does Hubie make Monahan, Lindholm, Dube, Toffoli or Mags better the answer is definelty  YES not IF this or that happens. JG made players around him better, McDavid, Crosby, P Kane ect  They make players aroung them better, without question. We have two players that undeniably make players around them better in Tanev and Hubie, thats it. Where we get into trouble is with the IF clause behind a player. Pelts IMHO is unproven, Rozie its there has not grabbed it, Kylington last year grabbed it and looked fine till injury. There are spots open on this roster but till someone proves they are the best option we have to move away from the IF factors

2 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Not sure how you take prospect and toss him into a 2nd line top 6 spot, and a unknown unproven trade ahead of Coleman and Backs. The fact that IF comes into the statement from a instructor and teacher that word I hate espeically when it comes to a situation of competition. If means theres a very high level of uncertainty in my world. So does Hubie make Monahan, Lindholm, Dube, Toffoli or Mags better the answer is definelty  YES not IF this or that happens. JG made players around him better, McDavid, Crosby, P Kane ect  They make players aroung them better, without question. We have two players that undeniably make players around them better in Tanev and Hubie, thats it. Where we get into trouble is with the IF clause behind a player. Pelts IMHO is unproven, Rozie its there has not grabbed it, Kylington last year grabbed it and looked fine till injury. There are spots open on this roster but till someone proves they are the best option we have to move away from the IF factors

Line numbering is really pointless.  Sutter plays lines how performance and needs line up.  If you manage to build a 2nd scoring line, they are playing at most 16 minutes.  You still need a shutdown line to play that or more.    

When I said "If Mange...", I was referring to the fact that he is the 2nd higher scorer we have on the team.  Once Gaudreau and Tkachuk left the answer was obvious.  The only question is whether Hubie outscores him.  So, back to "if".  Saying Hubie makes Monahan better is a big reach.  He may never score more than 10 again.  

You can suggest that Ruzicka didn't do enough to be kept on, but that is false.  He was set to play the game after the trade deadline.  BT could not keep him in the NHL because of roster limit and cap.  There is no IF in that.  

Projecting Pelletier to the NHL isn't exactly a big stretch.  Easily the most all-round talented prospect with pro experience that we have.  And he's always been a playmaker.  If we only have holes left for 4th line grinders, then no he doesn't fit the team.  But right now, we have holes left by Monahan and by Tkachuk.  Monahan could fill his own hole or create one.  The biggest reasons to keep after last year's disaster are loyalty and keeping Johnny happy.  Maybe they honestly Hash Rate that he will be able to get back to scoring 20+, but that's IF.  I would like to get more out of a 3C than 5-8 goals.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Line numbering is really pointless.  Sutter plays lines how performance and needs line up.  If you manage to build a 2nd scoring line, they are playing at most 16 minutes.  You still need a shutdown line to play that or more.    

When I said "If Mange...", I was referring to the fact that he is the 2nd higher scorer we have on the team.  Once Gaudreau and Tkachuk left the answer was obvious.  The only question is whether Hubie outscores him.  So, back to "if".  Saying Hubie makes Monahan better is a big reach.  He may never score more than 10 again.  

You can suggest that Ruzicka didn't do enough to be kept on, but that is false.  He was set to play the game after the trade deadline.  BT could not keep him in the NHL because of roster limit and cap.  There is no IF in that.  

Projecting Pelletier to the NHL isn't exactly a big stretch.  Easily the most all-round talented prospect with pro experience that we have.  And he's always been a playmaker.  If we only have holes left for 4th line grinders, then no he doesn't fit the team.  But right now, we have holes left by Monahan and by Tkachuk.  Monahan could fill his own hole or create one.  The biggest reasons to keep after last year's disaster are loyalty and keeping Johnny happy.  Maybe they honestly Hash Rate that he will be able to get back to scoring 20+, but that's IF.  I would like to get more out of a 3C than 5-8 goals.

The first bolded one don't disagree. So Mony is a reach but Pelltier ( who hasn't played a game) isn't, I take that bet.   IF Ruzicka was a better option than why pick up Carpenter who took his roster, That is why the roster spot was not there.  As would any team but we have 5 plus million on a player that can't keep up to the game. You put Lucic out with anyone hes a boat anchor, he makes players around him worse, thats a fact. If your bringing that Kid up which is fine he needs to be heavly sheltered for at least 10-15 games. 

I always liked Mony and he has had some struggles with injuries, but he doesn't BTC is excited for those who exceed is the perfcet team guy. Is a trade possible than move him and give him a clean slate which is fair. At the start of the season he is here with the goal to move him put him in a spot to succeed not tie him to Lucic and Lewis and drowned in misery. Mony is a 15-18 minute guy give him play makers and some speedy wingers he will be fine. 

57 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

The first bolded one don't disagree. So Mony is a reach but Pelltier ( who hasn't played a game) isn't, I take that bet.   IF Ruzicka was a better option than why pick up Carpenter who took his roster, That is why the roster spot was not there.  As would any team but we have 5 plus million on a player that can't keep up to the game. You put Lucic out with anyone hes a boat anchor, he makes players around him worse, thats a fact. If your bringing that Kid up which is fine he needs to be heavly sheltered for at least 10-15 games. 

I always liked Mony and he has had some struggles with injuries, but he doesn't BTC is excited for those who exceed is the perfcet team guy. Is a trade possible than move him and give him a clean slate which is fair. At the start of the season he is here with the goal to move him put him in a spot to succeed not tie him to Lucic and Lewis and drowned in misery. Mony is a 15-18 minute guy give him play makers and some speedy wingers he will be fine. 

The Carpenter signing was a mistake. Ruzicka didn’t have to clear waivers so he kinda got the shaft, not because Carpenter’s better. Pelletier has a great opportunity but I agree with what you’re saying. By the same token he’s cleared hurdles quickly. This is his last one. We’ll see if the trend continues. He’s got a lot going on, not many holes in his game.

On another note, Lucic goes to Rask’s wedding and all of a sudden the Bruins want him back.lol

Hysterical.

Both he and Mony are off the books next year, let’s leave at that.

Rome wasn’t built in day.

I think the Flames should look at Paul Stastny.

He's 36, but still very productive. He scored 21 goals and 45pts last year and was 56% in the circle. He likely wants to go back to Denver so it may be tough to get him. 

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Coleman-Backlund-Mangiapane

Stastny-Ruzicka-Dube

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

It gives you options. Stastny can spell off Ruzicka in the circle. He's got very good vision and would help the 2nd PP unit.

3 hours ago, tmac70 said:

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The Carpenter signing was a mistake. Ruzicka didn’t have to clear waivers so he kinda got the shaft, not because Carpenter’s better. Pelletier has a great opportunity but I agree with what you’re saying. By the same token he’s cleared hurdles quickly. This is his last one. We’ll see if the trend continues. He’s got a lot going on, not many holes in his game.

On another note, Lucic goes to Rask’s wedding and all of a sudden the Bruins want him back.lol

Hysterical.

Both he and Mony are off the books next year, let’s leave at that.

Rome wasn’t built in day.

NO need to repeat what Conumdrumed spelled out, which was what I had been saying about Rozie.  Maybe I wasn't clear about it enough.  Oh well.  

As far as line numbering, it only ever matters what number of minutes and how you are played.  Backlund plays less at home and less if we have less penalties.  Some nights he played the most minutes.  Lots of defensive zone starts.  Lewis played some nights 13 minutes.  Some nights Dube played 9.  And some times the minutes are doled out to whoever is playing the best.  

As far as Monahan, I am cheering for the guy, but I don't have a ton of belief that he can come back and be able to handle it.  Too many injuries, too many surgeries.  When I say broken, that is what I am talking about.  The amount of arthritis that builds up on bones is btutal.  Hips, wrists.  He's tried to tough it out, and has had to take a back seat to many players.  Worse than what Bennett faced.  It would be awesome to see him be able to come back and score 20 and look like a new man. By rights, that should have happened last season.

Pelletier is just a top prospect that plays a role that we don't have much of.  He doesn't replace a Rooney, but we also have options for the Lewis line.  What we don't have is someone to set up Toffoli if he's not playing with Hubie.  I didn't see him have much success with Backlund.