2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

My guess is that 3 years is the term that got the AAV under $6m. Even then that’s high. I really like Mangiapane but he isn’t going to be scoring 35 goals on a regular basis. I think he is more of a 25 goal 50 point guy. I think if we went with a longer term we were going to regret the AAV.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

My guess is that 3 years is the term that got the AAV under $6m. Even then that’s high. I really like Mangiapane but he isn’t going to be scoring 35 goals on a regular basis. I think he is more of a 25 goal 50 point guy. I think if we went with a longer term we were going to regret the AAV.

In 3 years, what is a 25g 25a player going to be worth?

Doubt it's less than 6.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, the buyout window....

Is that after the final settled deal that was going to arbitration or after the last scheduled date of one?

With Andrew Mangiapane's arbitration case settled, the #Flames will have access to the second buyout period beginning in three days.

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

We shouid save this post ..

I swear on anything sacred  I'm not picking on you .it's just perfectly worded ..

because if he does it , it's a perfect example of what to throw at people who complain we needed to pay Johnny last year 

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would rather them do (almost) anything over a buyout.

Definitely don't need to now ...

First can't buy out Monahan anyway ... And Lucic is pointless too.. 

But the biggest thing is were not in a corner ..anyone else that has to go has some trade value 

13 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Definitely don't need to now ...

First can't buy out Monahan anyway ... And Lucic is pointless too.. 

But the biggest thing is were not in a corner ..anyone else that has to go has some trade value 

Can't buy him out without his permission.  It's one year and he can choose to play or not play.

He can go and sign a deal with CBJ and play with his buddy.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Can't buy him out without his permission.  It's one year and he can choose to play or not play.

He can go and sign a deal with CBJ and play with his buddy.

I think it's actually against the CBA ?  He can definitely be traded tho 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

It seems like a rush negotiation.  Unless he wanted $7M x 8, I don't get this deal at all.  Are we suddenly worried about locking anyone up past 2025?  Or is this a way to manage cup until then.  Seems like a small discount to sign a short term deal.

i wonder if some players want to gamble on their skill and feel thw cap going up then will get them more when they happens.? My logic anyway. Maybe Mangiapane sees himself as a 70- 80 point player?

57 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i wonder if some players want to gamble on their skill and feel thw cap going up then will get them more when they happens.? My logic anyway. Maybe Mangiapane sees himself as a 70- 80 point player?

Perhaps the Flames don't want to commit long term because rebuilding is in their plans... 2 or 3 years from now.

Or I am dreaming.

8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I was hoping for 6 x $5.5. I'm more than happy with 3 x $5.8. He'll be going into his 29yr old season needing a contract.

I'm more than happy with that. A 35 goal season when everyone and their dog hitting career highs isn't a great basis to hand out term like candy.

I just didn't think it would be a 3 year, but I'm extremely happy that it is. We have his prime years and we have potential on ELCs right now where I'm really not sold on Mangiapane being more than a 3rd liner when this expires.

My hope is that we'll be moving ahead with a good young top 6 by then (besides Huberdeau).

And those 20 assists stick out like a sore thumb. I read that as very little playmaking ability, successful at cleaning up around the crease. Even at that, how long is that sustainable for a smaller player?

BT is doing a really sound job managing. He is by no means short-sighted. There is room here for current and near-future prospects. Lindholm also runs out turning 30.

This is how you don't run into a rebuild, by not backing yourself into a corner with guys expiring in their twilight (Coleman/Toffoli). Also Tanev, but he is legend right now, turning 33 this season, turning 35 in his no contract year.

If he can get, Huberdeau and Weegar at 5 years at elevated cap hit, I'll love BT forever.

I'm a big fan of shorter terms, knowing the quality of 20yr olds these days.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I'm excited, I love both of these recent signings. Don't get too far ahead, just stop handing out picks like candy, finally.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Perhaps the Flames don't want to commit long term because rebuilding is in their plans... 2 or 3 years from now.

Or I am dreaming.

People gotta remember there are 2 sides in a negotiation. I doubt the flames talked him Down to 3. If the Mangiapane camp had offered more years I'd be willing to bet it was in the 8 range .. 

At one point last year his agent was hung ho on a one year deal to UFa .  This buys 2 years of Ufa ..  if he can become a 45-50 goal scorer like he apparently says he can, he will get paid .

• Like 1

So just looking at numbers and hypotheticals if JG and Matthew stayed. We would have spent 28 ish million to sign everyone. There was only 23ish to do that plus the talk was Kadri at 7 million. According to my math thats 35 ish million thats 12 million shy, who was leaving so that cap could be met.  If one was to summaries Tre has or had one piece in mind.  IMHO just the add of Kadri is not enough to move you to major contender there are to many IF's in this equation still. Have we moved into a better position on what we have now versus what we lost, I don't believe so. Huberdeau is and will be more effective in his style of play than JG was so we have elevated in that area.  Weegar is a huge improvement over Kylington, I truely believe Meloche was brought in to replace Gubrnason. However the resent signings have not pushed us to where we were last year. I like Kylington but to me his feet move faster than his brain can comprehend, he whiffs on passes, get a stiffer stick man haha. I see Kylington, Valimaki, Mackey on the outside looking in presently, The only spot I can see up for grabs is the 3rd pairing of Meloche, that fits more of a Mackey style of player than Kylington or Valimaki. The only other play I could see happening is you move out Hanifin and move Kylington in there but you best be getting some pretty awesome in return. 

Tanev Weegar

Hanifn Anderson

Zadorov Meloche

Mackey