2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think we have the horses to trade.  I don't know that Toffoli is the right player for them, but if they got Kadri, Barzal doesn't fit their top 3.  Toffoli would look better with Kadri IMHO.  But then we paid a big price already to get him.  

The only way we end up with Baezal is that we have the guys that NY really wants.  I don't think Dube moves the needle.  Maybe it's Ras or Hanifin or Kylington, but I doubt it.  Trotz would love those guys though.

Trotz isn’t there anymore TD. But I still hold to my hunch that Barzal could be available.

We should however try to avoid retaining salary at all costs in a Mony trade for the purposes of cap flexibility at the trade deadline. If at all possible. 

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I would say maybe equivalent,  but:

That is equivalent to getting obliterated in the playoffs like last season.

We still have 2 key players with no term.

It is a catch 22 because if they outperform,  fans will want a cup run no matter how futile.    If they underperformed the tdl return may not be worth it.

IMHO the only solution is to get them to outperform and then trade at tdl.  But, most unpopular trade ever

Yups, I don't think we are selling at TDL regardless of what happens.  The question is, will we sell our future in desperation to make one run?

We likely lose Huberdeau and Weager next summer.  There's a reason FLA traded them.  Knew they would be difficult to deal with.

2 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Trotz isn’t there anymore TD. But I still hold to my hunch that Barzal could be available.

We should however try to avoid retaining salary at all costs in a Mony trade for the purposes of cap flexibility at the trade deadline. If at all possible. 

Used the wrong tense.  Would have loved those guys is what I was saying.  If they still had Trotz, he would have loved those guys.  I wasn't asleep this season. just seems like I was in round 2 and it was a nightmare.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Yups, I don't think we are selling at TDL regardless of what happens.  The question is, will we sell our future in desperation to make one run?

We likely lose Huberdeau and Weager next summer.  There's a reason FLA traded them.  Knew they would be difficult to deal with.

Yes that's the reality.  I know everyone is saying right now it's a great trade, because there is the possibility of them signing here, or winning a cup here.   

What people aren't seeing or willing to see yet is that this possibility is under 10%.    Now if it happens, hey that's pretty big.

So most assumptions here are focused on that 10%.  How we will win the cup next year, or how we will sign them, or the big return we'll get at tdl.

But if we were to think about that other 90% probability of getting nothing for them, then the question is should we, in addition to losing them, also lose our future.   IMHO we are too far removed from contention for that to make sense.   Even if we cough up another couple first rounders, which is absolutely our only remaining play (no star prospects to speak of), it's not likely getting us the 2-3 additional pieces we would need, which in my mind would be:

#1 C

#1 D  (pick a side, any side, but a real #1)

#1 G  ( the position is debateable as always, but the notion of needing a third impact player, is pretty well founded)
           (even if you are a  big Markstrom fan, you can see that at his age, he can't be overplayed like he was)

There is no way we have enough first rounders for this, and there is no way we have enough cap for this with Lucics and Colemans and other short term moves in our lineup.    

The only way you fit that many impact players onto your roster and under the cap is when you develop a few and they are on entry level contracts.   Those players essentially can't be acquired, at least not with what we have to offer.    

So, as is almost always the case, giving up our future would appear to be regrettable.   We ain't got the horses, nor the cap, to cross that threshold.   Investing in our future is the only way to fix that.

37 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Yes that's the reality.  I know everyone is saying right now it's a great trade, because there is the possibility of them signing here, or winning a cup here.   

What people aren't seeing or willing to see yet is that this possibility is under 10%.    Now if it happens, hey that's pretty big.

So most assumptions here are focused on that 10%.  How we will win the cup next year, or how we will sign them, or the big return we'll get at tdl.

But if we were to think about that other 90% probability of getting nothing for them, then the question is should we, in addition to losing them, also lose our future.   IMHO we are too far removed from contention for that to make sense.   Even if we cough up another couple first rounders, which is absolutely our only remaining play (no star prospects to speak of), it's not likely getting us the 2-3 additional pieces we would need, which in my mind would be:

#1 C

#1 D  (pick a side, any side, but a real #1)

#1 G  ( the position is debateable as always, but the notion of needing a third impact player, is pretty well founded)
           (even if you are a  big Markstrom fan, you can see that at his age, he can't be overplayed like he was)

There is no way we have enough first rounders for this, and there is no way we have enough cap for this with Lucics and Colemans and other short term moves in our lineup.    

The only way you fit that many impact players onto your roster and under the cap is when you develop a few and they are on entry level contracts.   Those players essentially can't be acquired, at least not with what we have to offer.    

So, as is almost always the case, giving up our future would appear to be regrettable.   We ain't got the horses, nor the cap, to cross that threshold.   Investing in our future is the only way to fix that.

We already traded away a 24-year-old next face of the franchise for a 29-year-old on a one year deal.  It's already too late to go back.  The best way out is through.  Go all in.

Trade all the picks and futures because this is the final year of BT and Sutter.  Go out guns blazing.

They ain't back next year anyways and we rebuild top down starting with the GM.

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We already traded away a 24-year-old next face of the franchise for a 29-year-old on a one year deal.  It's already too late to go back.  The best way out is through.  Go all in.

Trade all the picks and futures because this is the final year of BT and Sutter.  Go out guns blazing.

Wow guys.  Debbie Downer much?

Perhaps focus on the positives that we will re-sign both these guys AND add to the team.  It only makes sense that trading away Tkachuk is a view towards domination sooner.  Love the guy, hate the guy, we had him and Gaudreau and neither was moving the needle enough in the playoffs.  He may have taken a step sometime.  Learned how to skate.  Matured.  Stopped noticing squirrels in games.

A three year window is all you can really hope for without rebuilding from the ground up.  Nobody stays.  Firesale.  When the 2-5 years of drafting perfectly starts to hit the ice at the same time, you add the completer pieces.  You build up into a contender and get to the finals or re-tool. 

We can look at TBL as a contender right now, since they have looked good and were able to win 2 cups in weird years where they might not have won.  They have the goalie and some studs, but are they able to maintain next year?  Probably, but that doesn't mean they should have been B2B winners.  

But anyway, I am looking forward to the signing day.  Figuring out what the team needs.  We had enough to be individual scoring stars, but not enough of a team to do anything else much.

Just thought I would put this out there.  Lucic in Italy for Rask's wedding with his buds from Beantown.  Heard that he sold or was selling his place in CGY (not sure on that one)  Wonder if there is a possibility that he goes back to BOS to play out his last season where it all began.  It would sting, but would also help two teams.

Story from Boston...

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-bruins/2022/08/01/former-bruins-milan-lucic-torey-krug-reunite-at-tuukka-rasks-wedding/

19 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

The badder things are, the more valuable our picks are.    But they aren't valuable yet, they only gain value after we fall apart.    So we'd be selling them at their lowest value.

https://thehockeywriters.com/early-look-2024-nhl-draft/

If I thought there was any chance at all of us being a cup contender this year then I could sort of see the logic but since I don't see this, and considering what we have to lose, I can't.

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Perhaps focus on the positives that we will re-sign both these guys AND add to the team.  It only makes sense that trading away Tkachuk is a view towards domination sooner.  Love the guy, hate the guy, we had him and Gaudreau and neither was moving the needle enough in the playoffs.  He may have taken a step sometime.  Learned how to skate.  Matured.  Stopped noticing squirrels in games.

A three year window is all you can really hope for without rebuilding from the ground up.  Nobody stays.  Firesale.  When the 2-5 years of drafting perfectly starts to hit the ice at the same time, you add the completer pieces.  You build up into a contender and get to the finals or re-tool. 

We can look at TBL as a contender right now, since they have looked good and were able to win 2 cups in weird years where they might not have won.  They have the goalie and some studs, but are they able to maintain next year?  Probably, but that doesn't mean they should have been B2B winners.  

But anyway, I am looking forward to the signing day.  Figuring out what the team needs.  We had enough to be individual scoring stars, but not enough of a team to do anything else much.

Absolutely that is plan A and what I hope for.   But it is difficult for me to focus on a scenario with a 10% chance of success.   When the regular season starts I'll enjoy it for what it is and cheer the guys on.   Right up to the trade deadline.

I mean, we've been through this with how many players now...Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Fox, you can't....really expect a different outcome, there was obviously a reason why these players were given up.   But I would be More than happy to be proven wrong, and I said that with both Gaudreau and Tkachuk and Fox, the door is always open for BT to prove everyone wrong, of course.  He signs these guys to decent contracts and, well, he may very well have avoided a rebuild (although Gaudreau is still a huge loss).   Yes of course that would be nice but I can't realistically pretend like we have some kind of leverage which would lead to such an outcome.

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Just thought I would put this out there.  Lucic in Italy for Rask's wedding with his buds from Beantown.  Heard that he sold or was selling his place in CGY (not sure on that one)  Wonder if there is a possibility that he goes back to BOS to play out his last season where it all began.  It would sting, but would also help two teams.

Story from Boston...

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-bruins/2022/08/01/former-bruins-milan-lucic-torey-krug-reunite-at-tuukka-rasks-wedding/

Hope Toffoli goes with him to BOS.

45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Suggesting we go all in to win the Cup this year before we blow it up for a total rebuild is Debbie Downer?  

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Suggesting we go all in to win the Cup this year before we blow it up for a total rebuild is Debbie Downer?  

I was going to say lol.   

Nobody's trying to be a Debbie Downer I don't think,

TD's a positivity purist fan, and I respect that.  Especially since he's always able to back it up.

Peeps is being near-term positive, but in a realist oriented sense.

I'm being medium to long term positive...there are some deep drafts ahead and we are lined up well.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Absolutely that is plan A and what I hope for.   But it is difficult for me to focus on a scenario with a 10% chance of success.   When the regular season starts I'll enjoy it for what it is and cheer the guys on.   Right up to the trade deadline.

I mean, we've been through this with how many players now...Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Fox, you can't....really expect a different outcome, there was obviously a reason why these players were given up.   But I would be More than happy to be proven wrong, and I said that with both Gaudreau and Tkachuk and Fox, the door is always open for BT to prove everyone wrong, of course.  He signs these guys to decent contracts and, well, he may very well have avoided a rebuild (although Gaudreau is still a huge loss).   Yes of course that would be nice but I can't realistically pretend like we have some kind of leverage which would lead to such an outcome.

My question would be, how do you know it’s a 10% chance? This isn’t to be rude, but do you have a personal connection to these players? If not, you are stating something like it’s fact, even though it’s not.

if you’re going to point to Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Fox, you have to recognize the fact that they’re all American. They all went back “home” in a variety of ways. Why is it impossible to believe that Canadian players would want to do the same? And I don’t buy into this idea that the Flames are as far off of being a contender as you think. That’s just my optimistic opinion though.

3 minutes ago, FueltheFlames1075 said:

My question would be, how do you know it’s a 10% chance? This isn’t to be rude, but do you have a personal connection to these players? If not, you are stating something like it’s fact, even though it’s not.

if you’re going to point to Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Fox, you have to recognize the fact that they’re all American. They all went back “home” in a variety of ways. Why is it impossible to believe that Canadian players would want to do the same? And I don’t buy into this idea that the Flames are as far off of being a contender as you think. That’s just my optimistic opinion though.

You are proposing  a no-win situation for me lol.   The more clearly I defend the 10% comment the more I will upset people.

You're right, 10% probably is not fact, it is opinion. 

I will leave it at that

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

This is why I'd prefer getting younger players that need a chance as returns rather than Kadri-types at 30+.

Also, too many changes can be a problem.

If you don't have much patience now, wait until you're stuck in a full rebuild. Sometimes you get stuck in it. Van, Detroit has been stuck there for years.

It's really easy to say rebuild, but watching one is like your eyes bleeding, very slowly. I've been watching Detroit's for about 5 years and they're still unlikely to be a playoff team. Still hoping the prospect pool will come through in 2 years.

Be careful what you wish for. Even Bedard isn't making you an instant contender.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

This is why I'd prefer getting younger players that need a chance as returns rather than Kadri-types at 30+.

If you don't have much patience now, wait until you're stuck in a full rebuild. Sometimes you get stuck in it. Van, Detroit has been stuck there for years.

It's really easy to say rebuild, but watching one is like your eyes bleeding, very slowly. I've been watching Detroit's for about 5 years and they're still unlikely to be a playoff team. Still hoping the prospect pool will come through in 2 years.

Be careful what you wish for. Even Bedard isn't making you an instant contender.

This is where I'm at. I don't feel extremes have to happen. Every year we make a push, players like zary, wolf, Phillips etc are a year closer ..you will always have turnover and chances for these kids to get in.. I'd much rather insert kids into a winning environment with vets to show them the way than throw them in the deep end and say go learn how to win..

If you take all the emotion out of it .. seriously..what did building around Johnny accomplish until now ? He had mostly seasons of disappointment.. we didn't know if he could even be any good without Monahan.. and he finally puts it together in a contract year. But even then I've never felt he was a leader ..

Matthew Tkachuk's at his best will be another Brad Marchand .which is a major compliment .. but wouid the Bruins be great if Marchand was their best player ? No. 

What I'm getting at is you can spend 8 years building a player to their peak and they may not be good enough....  You could draft a Nail Yakupov.. an Adam Fox could decide at the last moment , nope I'm outta here ..

To Me, best to keep a team deep and well rounded .. make the best of every season .. you don't have to blow it up to be successful.. 

And you don't have to sacrifice winning to retool.. 

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Panthers cap is in a pretty terrible situation due to the Bobrovsky contract. They are sitting on only 15 mill in cap space next season with Spencer Knight to re sign as an RFA. They were not going to be able to afford Weegar which is why he was on rumors all off-season. 

Seems very presumptuous to me to assume they are going to be difficult to deal with given the 2 situations are different. 

54 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

This is where I'm at. I don't feel extremes have to happen. Every year we make a push, players like zary, wolf, Phillips etc are a year closer ..you will always have turnover and chances for these kids to get in.. I'd much rather insert kids into a winning environment with vets to show them the way than throw them in the deep end and say go learn how to win..

If you take all the emotion out of it .. seriously..what did building around Johnny accomplish until now ? He had mostly seasons of disappointment.. we didn't know if he could even be any good without Monahan.. and he finally puts it together in a contract year. But even then I've never felt he was a leader ..

Matthew Tkachuk's at his best will be another Brad Marchand .which is a major compliment .. but wouid the Bruins be great if Marchand was their best player ? No. 

What I'm getting at is you can spend 8 years building a player to their peak and they may not be good enough....  You could draft a Nail Yakupov.. an Adam Fox could decide at the last moment , nope I'm outta here ..

To Me, best to keep a team deep and well rounded .. make the best of every season .. you don't have to blow it up to be successful.. 

We have always floated in the middle. Like I have mentioned before we have picked 4th, 6th twice in the past 7 years and have one guy left. Valmaiki trending as a  bust, Pelts may make it, Zary/Corranoto are still unknowns. When you compare either side of the equation one is  no more effective than the other. Human nature in a rebuild is to cut corners. SInce Flames came to CGY, the ownership group has been NOT A REBUILD FRANCHISE I don't see that changing.  WIll a new rink help, marginally, but your not changing the weather,taxes travel and small market. It was not to long ago that players all didn't want to play on any of the southern states teams, ARZ, FLA, TAM, CAR, NSH, LA, ANA, SJ it was thought it to be a great place to end your career. Now its the distination of choice. Yes the taxes are beneficial but the weather, the ability to have a life and get paid well trumps alot of the media, fans negative publicity of a Canadian city. 

What do we know now. We have lost 3 impact players solely based on geographically location, all of which are US citzens. Does this mean all US players are bad, no. Matthew left the right way the professional way, and as a GM Tre treated it with respect and dignity, thats a HUGE start and bonus for the club. Zito was in contract talks with Hubie to next  traded to us. From a human stand point the decision gets harder. I think the organization treats the players well, however we are missing a key element that screams come to CGY. What we have control over is what we can ice as a team, a culture and work ethic. The hire of Sutter was a instrumental move to work towards a culture shift. Stange how one guy comes in and mutilple players have their best season, Satoshi Nakamoto like that gets noticed. Build it and they will come is the only thing you have control over, you have to reverse the trend in order to create a change.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I completely agree with your strategy, however, I beg to differ on the wings chances of making the playoffs.

Sure, Yzerman was smart and tanked them for another unbelievably amazing pick, but, Edvinsson, let's be honest, is going to be bolstering their defense like, this year.

In the span of one season you watched the Wings Goals-for jump from 127 to 230.  Over a 100 goal jump in one season.  That is insane.   Tell me that wasn't fun to watch.  The vast majority of it scored by guys well under 23.

The only reason they didn't finish higher is their goals against, and Yzerman made a rare purchase in the off-season for Husso which will resolve this issue until Cossa is ready.

So that's up another 50 gf, and down 50 ga, easily making the playoffs with a 100-goal differential change this upcoming season.   The only risk I see is if Yzerman decides he doesn't have that #1 C in Larkin (contract year) and opts for this upcoming draft, but IMHO he believes he has it in Kasper already.   I actually don't....imho that was a bit of a weird pick.   But not a crazy weird pick, Kasper is still for realz.

I actually think we will all really enjoy the next time the Flames have a rising prospect pool like that.

Like I've said in the past, it's evidently clear that winning franchises go through cycles.  No team hangs around the top of the league in perpetuity.

Where are the Flames right now?

Spring cycle, Plant Seeds (currently ARZ, MTL, SEA, BUF, CHI, Etc)

- amass picks and prospects

- develop

- go young but keep a vet or two to pass on knowledge and experience

Summer Cycle, Sprout (currently OTT, DET, NJD, ANA, VAN, LAK, etc)

- emerge from a rebuild and begin to see what's working and what's not

- make trades to fill missing gaps

- add vets to complement the new core

Autumn Cycle, Window opens (currently COL, CAR, TB, FLA, TOR, EDM, CGY??, etc)

- core enters prime age

- reap the harvest of investing in the future

- final pieces added or one piece away

- contend for the Cup

Winter Cycle, Conflict (currently PHI, VGK, SJS, WPG, WSH, PIT, CGY??, etc)

- core is past their prime

- squeezing the last juice out of the fruit

- rebuild is imminent 

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Like I've said in the past, it's evidently clear that winning franchises go through cycles.  No team hangs around the top of the league in perpetuity.

Where are the Flames right now?

Spring cycle, Plant Seeds (currently ARZ, MTL, SEA, BUF, CHI, Etc)

- amass picks and prospects

- develop

- go young but keep a vet or two to pass on knowledge and experience

Summer Cycle, Sprout (currently OTT, DET, NJD, ANA, VAN, LAK, etc)

- emerge from a rebuild and begin to see what's working and what's not

- make trades to fill missing gaps

- add vets to complement the new core

Autumn Cycle, Window opens (currently COL, CAR, TB, FLA, TOR, EDM, CGY??, etc)

- core enters prime age

- reap the harvest of investing in the future

- final pieces added or one piece away

- contend for the Cup

Winter Cycle, Conflict (currently PHI, VGK, SJS, WPG, WSH, PIT, CGY??, etc)

- core is past their prime

- squeezing the last juice out of the fruit

- rebuild is imminent 

Just embrace the cycles rather than fight it.  The Flames are a franchise that wants to fight these cycles.  There is nothing wrong with a rebuild and it's actually a part of nature.  Laws of the world.

you mention Van. Their rebuild is Canadian and what happens when teams like Vancouver,and Calgary rush them, and think they're done prematurely. 

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

i knew he could be good without Monahan. He was on the US team and was good. Everyone else thought you couldn't break them up because they were "the duo." I kept saying let's see what Monahan is like without Johnny. Always thought Johnny needed a mobile C to play with. Johnny was too fixated on Monahan and it got predictable. Monahan wasn't dynamic enough to create when he got the puck. I felt he was always this player. 

34 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I completely agree with your strategy, however, I beg to differ on the wings chances of making the playoffs.

Sure, Yzerman was smart and tanked them for another unbelievably amazing pick, but, Edvinsson, let's be honest, is going to be bolstering their defense like, this year.

In the span of one season you watched the Wings Goals-for jump from 127 to 230.  Over a 100 goal jump in one season.  That is insane.   Tell me that wasn't fun to watch.  The vast majority of it scored by guys well under 23.

But I'm also of the mind that the huge increase in scoring last year is not sustainable. These covid years have been very odd. Hopefully they are over.