2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

5 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

Anaheim gets: Looch 2024 1st

Calgary gets: Minny 2023 3rd

Cap Dump that hurts, but almost has to be done. 

Vegas gets: Coronato

Calgary gets: Roy 

Vegas gets the potential and a bit of cap space. Calgary gets a big hard nosed player throws ho is starting to develop. Resigned at $3,250,000 for 3 Years.

Blech.  I have no interest in that deal at all.  Giving up a 1st to get rid of Lucic.  I would sit him rather than pay that. 

The 2nd deal is even more suspect.  I get that Roy has value, but Vegas is in trouble.  Yes they have Weber's LTIR but they also only have 9F signed.  They have several guy on IR that likely are back, such as Patrick, Brossoit, Hague.  I'm not giving up a top prospect top help them out of a jamb.  At most a mid round pick or a lesser D or lesser prospect.  Or future considerations. 

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Blech.  I have no interest in that deal at all.  Giving up a 1st to get rid of Lucic.  I would sit him rather than pay that. 

The 2nd deal is even more suspect.  I get that Roy has value, but Vegas is in trouble.  Yes they have Weber's LTIR but they also only have 9F signed.  They have several guy on IR that likely are back, such as Patrick, Brossoit, Hague.  I'm not giving up a top prospect top help them out of a jamb.  At most a mid round pick or a lesser D or lesser prospect.  Or future considerations. 

Ok, thanks

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Lucic protects your stars.  I don't think we need him as much now.  There are teams that had to get young guys punched out to see how a liability it is not to protect them.  What did Anaheim learn?  The cap is the only thing I am concerned about now.  He's worth $1M in actual.  Many teams would see that as a decent tradeoff.  Okay, some teams would.

Ottawa could probably save Tkachuk's fighting.  Or having no real mean people to protect the Cat or Stutzle.

And why is Anaheim not on his list?  Because he wants to take his family to Disneyland all the time?

43 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

Ok, thanks

Wasn't trying to be mean, just that I am against paying anything meaningful to take Lucic.  We can get back 4M of cap by buying out Monahan if need be, assuming he wants a fresh start and sign wherever he wants.  Not my favorite concept either.

I just thinnk that Vegas is a victim and we shouldn't help them out.  We ca toss them an anchor or a lesser return.  They gave away Patches for nothing.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe I heard this or imagined it, but I though both Little and Bishop were going to retire.  

We may not need to move either Lucic or Monahan because we have barely enough.

Some decisions will be made about the D, which could lessen the need as well.

I think you calculated the 11M based on carrying 7D, not 10.

Not dire, but not ideal.

If we can get cap savings today and replace with productive players, then so be it.

Yeah, I'm in no big hurry to spend next year's cap.

If we had a replacement for Backlund, perhaps we could trade him before he's a UFA.

He's still an important player for us today and we have him signed to 35.

Anyway, that's for future discussions.

it would be weird for their contracts to move and have them retire. I think both Buff and Arizona acquired those as cap dumps to get to the floor. 

45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

it would be weird for their contracts to move and have them retire. I think both Buff and Arizona acquired those as cap dumps to get to the floor. 

Bishop announced his retirement in December.  It's a weird situation no doubt.  But they do manage to retain the cap hit/LTIR.  At least that's the way I read it.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Wasn't trying to be mean, just that I am against paying anything meaningful to take Lucic.  We can get back 4M of cap by buying out Monahan if need be, assuming he wants a fresh start and sign wherever he wants.  Not my favorite concept either.

I just thinnk that Vegas is a victim and we shouldn't help them out.  We ca toss them an anchor or a lesser return.  They gave away Patches for nothing.

No problem I put it out there to get feedback. We need players that are harder to play against. Crouse and Roy in our lineup is a lot more to handle. I also think they help with secondary scoring. Lucic prevents moves like that right now, if we can trade him and a lesser prospect. It helps make other moves, but I hate it also. I really do not want to buy out Monahan, but have no idea what the solution is there?

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

I don't really have the appetite to trade either Monahan or Lucic now.  Unless we are getting Kadri, I don't see the need to pay to get rid of 2 guys on expiring deals, I would instead look into a move of one of the waiver eligible Dmen either Valimaki, Mackey or Kylington and get whatever you can for picks.  At this point I would rather let the kids battle out for a spot in the lineup and hope that Monahan has a better recovery this year and has the same contract year motivation that Gaudreau and Tkachuk had. 

It's sorta like the chicken and the egg though.  Do you free up cap space first or first add players/cap and deal with freeing the cap later?  If you have cap space now, you become flexible for whatever opportunities presents itself.  But definitely, I'd rather have Lucic this season than $5-mil cap space unused.

33 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

No problem I put it out there to get feedback. We need players that are harder to play against. Crouse and Roy in our lineup is a lot more to handle. I also think they help with secondary scoring. Lucic prevents moves like that right now, if we can trade him and a lesser prospect. It helps make other moves, but I hate it also. I really do not want to buy out Monahan, but have no idea what the solution is there?

I like both players.

I would probably be keen enough to Offer Valimaki + Dube for Crouse.

4M going the other way and at worst we bridge him for 3M.

Roy can't be fair market value going out.

Kylington has played 168 games, with 47pts. He's 25

Last July, FLA signed Gustav Forsling to 2.67x3. Forsling was 25 and had played 165 games with 44 pts.

I think that's the deal the Flames are pushing for, 3.27% of the cap. With an 82.5m cap that's 2.697m.

The Siegenthaler deal benefits Kylington. Siegenthaler has played 175 games with 27pts. He signed to 3.4x5 as others have noted. Weegar's deal at 3.25x3 is actually the closest comp to Siegenthaler. 

If the Flames can keep the AAV to less than three, that would be tidy work by BT. Kylington had a good statistical season last year and was a pleasant surprise. His emergence really took away the sting from losing Gio. Thought he faded as the season went on though. I'd go 2-3yrs to see if he's actually a top 4 player or if he's just toolsy depth

22 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Made a list of interesting names that have to go through waivers. Thought there might be an opportunity to add a forward for one of our waiver eligible defensemen.

Brett Leason WSH

Liam Foudy CLB

Klim Kostin STL

Jaret Anderson-Dolan LA

Martin Kaut COL

Cody Glass NSH

Vitali Kravtsov NYR

Some interesting names on here.

I think Valimaki might be tough to trade. He's overpaid for what he is and right now that's a fringe NHL D. 

Using STL for example, Valimaki for Kostin is a fair deal. Neither player has accomplished a ton as an NHLer. The issue is that so many teams are tight to the cap and Valimaki isn't an everyday player on most bluelines. Factor in that you can't bury his full salary in the AHL, if he makes it through waivers and I think it's a hard trade to make. Not impossible though.

Crazy trade....

Nolan Patrick + Nick Roy for Valiamki + Duehr

They lose one healthy forward, but gain a guy that can go through waivers.

And they get a 7th D-man.

Allows them to manage the cap a bit getting rid of a possible $3M for Roy.

Nolan doesn't fit since they got Eichel and was injured.

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Kylington has played 168 games, with 47pts. He's 25

Last July, FLA signed Gustav Forsling to 2.67x3. Forsling was 25 and had played 165 games with 44 pts.

I think that's the deal the Flames are pushing for, 3.27% of the cap. With an 82.5m cap that's 2.697m.

The Siegenthaler deal benefits Kylington. Siegenthaler has played 175 games with 27pts. He signed to 3.4x5 as others have noted. Weegar's deal at 3.25x3 is actually the closest comp to Siegenthaler. 

If the Flames can keep the AAV to less than three, that would be tidy work by BT. Kylington had a good statistical season last year and was a pleasant surprise. His emergence really took away the sting from losing Gio. Thought he faded as the season went on though. I'd go 2-3yrs to see if he's actually a top 4 player or if he's just toolsy depth

I actually see these deals as being pretty similar. Key difference for me is with Siegenthaler they bought 4 UFA years and Forsling only 1. 

I think the AAV on Kylington really comes down to what term they can agree on. Likely would need to be a 2 year deal or less to keep it under 3. 

24 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I've had this thought as well. 

Conventional wisdom would argue that GM's have learned and decided not to overpay a very good but soon-to-be 32yr old. But then you look at the Chiarot and Gudbranson deals and that eliminates that idea

Kadri feels really simple to me. If he wanted to go somewhere else he would be there by now. 

See what happens and things could change but he clearly has a suitor in mind to me. 

Just now, cross16 said:

Kadri feels really simple to me. If he wanted to go somewhere else he would be there by now. 

I know it puts a team in a worse bargaining position to try to move out cap, but so many teams have done it, it shouldn't really be a difficult thing.  Regardless of his signing or not, every team knows any trades they do will be for Kadri.

I haven't heard word one about COL making any moves, the same way I haven't heard about NYI.  

I stand to be corrected of course.  

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Bishop announced his retirement in December.  It's a weird situation no doubt.  But they do manage to retain the cap hit/LTIR.  At least that's the way I read it.

You right because he technically didn't "retire". He isn't going to play anymore due to his injury but he just won't formally retire with the league. So the cap hit stays and he'll still collect his salary even though he wont' play a game. 

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

See what happens and things could change but he clearly has a suitor in mind to me. 

Possibly…or his asking price is just way too high? 

Maybe off topic, but Tkachuk sure trash talked TBay.

I'm not going to miss that. Save it for the ice.TBay and Vas don't need motivational boosts.

His line, "the other team in Florida has had a lot of success, I'm here to change that".

Oh boy. I think his mouth's making promises that his talent level can't keep.

Once he's finished dancing Kucherov/Stamkos/Point, I'm sure he'll dance Hedman/Sergachev/Cernak and then Vasilevsky.

I'm not going to miss the arrogance. Jack the home fans up. Then don't deliver.

Hope he can turn Bennett from a 10 goal scorer to a 28 goal scorer like that other guy did.

• Like 1