2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I would be surprised if the intention behind this was to intentional not resign them. I think they will try for sure and I think they’ll have a good shot and retaining them. 

But if the plan is to go all in and the heck with re signing them it will be one of the worst decisions I will have seen this franchise make in sometime. 

Oh of course . They wouldnt have purposely done that. All I'm saying is if we're on a run at tdl and they're not signed yet they won't hesitate to keep them .. 

For the record , BT did say he's already spoken with the agents ..which is about all you're ever gonna get from him.. 

But I don't suspect they'll be shy about moving a pick or prospect if it means win now 

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

In terms of immediate impact I don’t see how any team was going to come close to what Florida gave them. You have to account for the UFA risk for sure but it is pretty staggering what they got in return. 

I don’t see how another team was even close. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Priority one has to be to sign both Huberdeau and Weegar to extensions. 

If they aren’t signed by training camp, I think you have to move them. 

I also think you can eat half their contracts and maximize the return. Huberdeau at $3m would bring back a lot of assets back. Same with Weegar at $1.75m.

Again I would prefer to see them both signed, but we can’t risk losing these players for nothing.

I can live with Weegar not having a deal but Huberdeau is a must sign before camp or I agree he should be moved. 

Just now, phoenix66 said:

Only if u can get an even more impactful name in return 

Don’t agree. Flames can not afford to lose him for nothing and if he isn’t going to sign this summer why is he going to next?

it’s just reckless and dumb to be quite honest. I understand it’s likely how they will approach it but it’s not smart. 

17 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I can live with Weegar not having a deal but Huberdeau is a must sign before camp or I agree he should be moved. 

I agree, I mean Weegar would bring back a pretty solid return if we did decide to move him, but Huberdeau is the prize here. 

I would have to think that a bunch of the contenders would be salivating at the idea of getting Huberdeau at $3m. Especially since most of them don’t have cap space to begin with, so getting an elite winger at just under $3m would be hard to pass up.

I mean look at what Tampa paid for Hagel because of his contract. Now he had age and term on his side, but still.

21 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I agree, I mean Weegar would bring back a pretty solid return if we did decide to move him, but Huberdeau is the prize here. 

I would have to think that a bunch of the contenders would be salivating at the idea of getting Huberdeau at $3m. Especially since most of them don’t have cap space to begin with, so getting an elite winger at just under $3m would be hard to pass up.

I mean look at what Tampa paid for Hagel because of his contract. Now he had age and term on his side, but still.

You mean if we ate salary?  He makes $5.8 I believe ..

On a positive note.. it's cool to make history..had to happen sooner or later ..tho I do wonder how those work,. I mean what's stopping them from signing the deal and BT saying , "welcome back to Calgary sucker.." LoL 

Just now, phoenix66 said:

You mean if we ate salary?  He makes $5.8 I believe ..

On a positive note.. it's cool to make history..had to happen sooner or later ..

Exactly the amount of teams that can take on Huberdeau goes up a lot if we are salary. Same for Weegar.

I am just being pragmatic. Personally I still would rather see a rebuild, I just don’t think neither ownership or management have an appetite for that, or to take the time to do it right. So with that being said signing Huberdeau and Weegar long term is the best way to go.

43 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That’s the thing about this trade…although it’s missing the youth element…

it has a huge flexibility option for the club and a Solid top 4 d man and a stud winger…so basically we are only 1 star less from last year up front but an improved D (particularly in mobility which we lacked)

added to that, we have way too many D now so there must be a move or two yet to come…I suspect signing The RFA’s…Manji being a priority 1 and then probably Kylington as Priority 2…afterwards there will be a trade or two come…or you never know Kadri (as much as id

rather not, at this point he actually makes a lot More sense and fits in now.) 

anyway, at this point after the key RFAs are signed BT really only needs to address the RW (preference to a high profile top line power RW…though he could get away with a 2nd line RW) And a 2nd line Ctr…

again in an ideal world…but definitely more Is to come 

18 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

So WTH guys? I go on holiday for a dozen days and this is what I come back to? Bedlam!

Thanks for sticking with us, I was beginning to worry you were leaving us to cheer for a team closer to home.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Exactly the amount of teams that can take on Huberdeau goes up a lot if we are salary. Same for Weegar.

I am just being pragmatic. Personally I still would rather see a rebuild, I just don’t think neither ownership or management have an appetite for that, or to take the time to do it right. So with that being said signing Huberdeau and Weegar long term is the best way to go.

They are already saying that BT is getting calls from teams for Huberdeau.

Which is too funny.

The market for an elite $5.9M guy is obviously pretty hot.

The only way he should listen to offers is if he gets the sense JH isn't signing.

I hope he has already started the process of re-signing him.

There is no competition right now for the big offer on our team.

I know this is sorta just related, but if MTL is looking for a puck mover, we could send them Hanifin for Dvorak.  Or we use him to get Barzal.  Two choices for two different styles of C.

25 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

So WTH guys? I go on holiday for a dozen days and this is what I come back to? Bedlam!

We spent the last two weeks trashing Tkachuk and Gaudreau for their play in the playoffs and hw they weren't worth the big offers.  They read twitter and wanted out.

So say the plan is to go all in regardless this year and keep Huberdeau, I can see Treliving still targeting another top 6 forward, most likely via trade.

I think Dvorak is most likely gone from Montreal and he would make sense, he can slide into a middle 6 center spot. I can’t imagine he would cost a lot at this point.

52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

They are already saying that BT is getting calls from teams for Huberdeau.

Which is too funny.

The market for an elite $5.9M guy is obviously pretty hot.

The only way he should listen to offers is if he gets the sense JH isn't signing.

I hope he has already started the process of re-signing him.

There is no competition right now for the big offer on our team.

I know this is sorta just related, but if MTL is looking for a puck mover, we could send them Hanifin for Dvorak.  Or we use him to get Barzal.  Two choices for two different styles of C.

Or…he gets another insane offer like this for JH…he’s be crazy to jot do it.

imagine he flips Tachuck for this 

then flips JH for a similar type deal elsewhere… He could rebuild by basically player flipping…lol 

9 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Or…he gets another insane offer like this for JH…he’s be crazy to jot do it.

imagine he flips Tachuck for this 

then flips JH for a similar type deal elsewhere… He could rebuild by basically player flipping…lol 

this is like Vancouver real estate until the banks upped the interest rates. 

ya! 

grab another first rounder and a good roster player. 

imagine going the first year of the VGK's and all players that are like their first year but we grabbed a few other first rounders in the process. 

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

this is like Vancouver real estate until the banks upped the interest rates. 

ya! 

grab another first rounder and a good roster player. 

imagine going the first year of the VGK's and all players that are like their first year but we grabbed a few other first rounders in the process. 

Well, the value of Tkachuk was getting him signed and traded to ennsure he would accept.  STL wouldn't have done that maybe.  And they didn't want to trade Kyrou.  NJ possibly, but I don't think they were giving up Hischier + or Hughes +.  Other than that the Bratt offer was nothing awesome.  

The value of this trade to me is at least Hiberdeau signing.  We would likely get an offer similar to NJ's offer for Tkachuk.  Again, other than the additional assets we have, is that any better?  If Weeger signs, it allows us to move Hanifin or Kylington or Valimaki, so be it.  We get better in those trades.  We aren't any less deep, just a different look.  If he doesn't sign, we have a desired TDL asset at worst.  Or he's proven to be worth the risk of walking for what he brings to a cup run.  Dunno, too early to call.

Of the remaining UFA’s here is my list, I would target:

Kadri: he is ideal, as he would give us depth down the middle, he can run a line, play in all situations. Sounds like he doesn’t want to come here and he will be expensive anyways.

Kessel: He still has some left in the tank. Doubtful he would come here, but he would be a good fit in the top 6.

Rodrigues: He had a bit of a breakout season, he is a good skater and would fit nicely in the middle 6.

Milano: He has high end skill, there is no doubt about that. Might not fit in Sutter’s system.

Steel: A bit of a reclamation project, former 1st round pick.

Sprong: A goal scorer hasn’t been able to stick, but a RHS RW.