2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

11 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Just realizing we have two more UFAs next year lol..

Hey JJ, these 2 UFAs can net us a pretty big haul at the TDL if they don’t re-sign with us… just saying 😏

I was hoping for picks and prospects and young talent, but, you can’t say BT hasn’t made it interesting! We’ll see what happens next. 

3-way Trade?

To MTL: Valimaki (and freed-up cap space to sign Dach)

To CGY: Barzal

To NYI: Dvorak + Monahan

7 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

This guy apparently called the FLA Chucky trade an hour before it was reported… he says Kadri may be next… insider? lucky guess?

https://mobile.twitter.com/moosedawg10

Wow... Exciting if true.  But scared of the cap hit.  Hope it's not the rumoured $9-mil and hope it's not for 7-years.

After this, we need to get Mangiapane signed... Monahan cap dump is a must if we sign Kadri.

7 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

BT killed it here

You think? 2 key players at 28 and 29…Solid players though..but age?

their 1st is gonna be no better than 20th…probably closer to 25-27 range, and I can’t see Cgy’s pick being any lower than 20th…granted deep draft class but unless he plans to trade up they be nearly the level players we need…

iDK there must be other moves To come

So I will reserve judgement till

later…I was hoping for younger players.

but omg how much better I’d Fla now?!

CBJ and Fla must be heavy favs to win the east now…TB is in tough against those two teams!

and least we only need to deal with Tachuck and gaudreau what 4 x per year each? That’s good! 

EDIT:

ok I think what this trade lines up for is puts a competitive team on the ice this season till TDL…then major moves from there for a full rebuild

through 2025 

On 7/19/2022 at 6:03 PM, Heartbreaker said:

I am curious, anyone have any insight into why nobody has signed Sonny Milano?

Love.

Well thast was interesting news to wake up to.

Huberdeau.....  am I right in thinking he is not known for his 200 ft game?

18 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It was a hard switch for me.  

Don't get me wrong, I think we have the better player.

I just didn't like the idea of getting older players.

Agreed…

so basically, we used Tachuck to get a better more well rounded version Gaudreau + more depth on D…

so they still need to find a Tachuck replacement…kinda, i

mean Hubs kinda has more than just scoring to add so for me he’s a big upgrade on Gaudreau, meaning at RW we don’t needs quite as high prolific player. But we definitely need another top 4 RW…the team is kinda right back to where it was to start last season only older.

however, there needs so be more moves cause we have way too many D now so someone or two need to be moved out…

ideally BT can leverage a few things and maybe bring in a Ctr and RW? Maybe he’s got some Moves in que that have a package in place sending Monahan+ Valimaki to NYI for Bryz?  And then something else to send Backlund +’for a RW?

Considering I think Ruzi is ready for

full time 3C especially if Coleman is on his wing…

but that pile D something else’s has to happen no way they keep all them 

1 hour ago, rocketdoctor said:

Well thast was interesting news to wake up to.

Huberdeau.....  am I right in thinking he is not known for his 200 ft game?

He's a very similar player to Gaudreau.

We'll see if Sutter can improve his defensive game like he did with Johnny.

Well I am looking at the positive side of this, UFA's or not, Love both players makes our team look much better. Hubredeau will be the face of the franchise as he should be, currently best player we have. So our roster got a great replacement on top line LW and a top 4 dman. There are still rumores out there we are linked to Kadri still, Mags not signed, Kylington, Ruzica, Phillips. I can see so more movement from BT. They only way I see us getting Kadri is if Lucic and 1 of Backlund or Monhan are moved. Number 11 would be open if Backs is moved Hmmm. I can see us moving Kylington as well. Lindholm, Kadri Backlund/Monahan down the middle looks good. Could BT now take that first and add it to a package to flip to another club?  I dont't think he is doen yet, if he does this right and the chips fall correctly we could JG and CHucky leaving could be the best thing that happens, not the worst

17 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Well I am looking at the positive side of this, UFA's or not, Love both players makes our team look much better. Hubredeau will be the face of the franchise as he should be, currently best player we have. So our roster got a great replacement on top line LW and a top 4 dman. There are still rumores out there we are linked to Kadri still, Mags not signed, Kylington, Ruzica, Phillips. I can see so more movement from BT. They only way I see us getting Kadri is if Lucic and 1 of Backlund or Monhan are moved. Number 11 would be open if Backs is moved Hmmm. I can see us moving Kylington as well. Lindholm, Kadri Backlund/Monahan down the middle looks good. Could BT now take that first and add it to a package to flip to another club?  I dont't think he is doen yet, if he does this right and the chips fall correctly we could JG and CHucky leaving could be the best thing that happens, not the worst

He's not even close to done . The roadblocks of uncertainty of what he has to pay Chucky and Johnny are gone ..I'm sure he has a good idea of what mang will take so now he knows what he's working with.  

And ya .worst case scenario.  They all walk end of next year..  we were going into this season yesterday as lame ducks with a devastated top line and Chucky walking in a year ..  we now have a renewed window to pick up where we left off..if we end up in a rebuild after next season so be it .. I personally think we can resign Huberdeau, but we shouid all be prepared and realize if we don't. And we're having another great season .there's no way we're trading either at the deadline..  but shouid that happen, were gonna have a boatload of cap space end of next year and it's a good looking crop of Ufa next year 

My initial hope for the offseason was sign Johnny and move tkachuk to fill d and #2 center ..  now I feel we've improved on Johnny and have money and pieces to fill that spot .. I'm pumped 

• Like 1

As much as I question getting older there is no question you have to give Treliving a lot of credit here. You lose your two best players in one off season you would assume your team is done but he’s managed to lose both guys and still make his team a contender within the division. That’s pretty impressive. I think asking why they didn’t get future is valid but it’s also not likely the preferred route for the org. 

Something will need to get sorted out ok D. I would be surprised if the Flames got Weegar and then put him on the 3rd pair and they are staring to stack some depth. Valimaki,Kylington and Mackey all require waivers and I believe the flames are really high on Mackey. So something had to give I think. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

He's not even close to done . The roadblocks of uncertainty of what he has to pay Chucky and Johnny are gone ..I'm sure he has a good idea of what mang will take so now he knows what he's working with.  

And ya .worst case scenario.  They all walk end of next year..  we were going into this season yesterday as lame ducks with a devastated top line and Chucky walking in a year ..  we now have a renewed window to pick up where we left off..if we end up in a rebuild after next season so be it .. I personally think we can resign Huberdeau, but we shouid all be prepared and realize if we don't. And we're having another great season .there's no way we're trading either at the deadline..  but shouid that happen, were gonna have a boatload of cap space end of next year and it's a good looking crop of Ufa next year 

My initial hope for the offseason was sign Johnny and move tkachuk to fill d and #2 center ..  now I feel we've improved on Johnny and have money and pieces to fill that spot .. I'm pumped 

One positive of this…the players are CANADIAN…so the US issue is now

greatly reduced…it’s more about $$$ and term for these players oh and they both had to wave NTC/MC clauses for this trade so that’s a huge + for resigning 

31 minutes ago, cross16 said:

As much as I question getting older there is no question you have to give Treliving a lot of credit here. You lose your two best players in one off season you would assume your team is done but he’s managed to lose both guys and still make his team a contender within the division. That’s pretty impressive. I think asking why they didn’t get future is valid but it’s also not likely the preferred route for the org. 

Something will need to get sorted out ok D. I would be surprised if the Flames got Weegar and then put him on the 3rd pair and they are staring to stack some depth. Valimaki,Kylington and Mackey all require waivers and I believe the flames are really high on Mackey. So something had to give I think. 

Yep.. some of the d has to be moved around .. Mackey and Valimaki both need waivers next year and there's no way bt will risk losing vakimaki on waivers.. 

I look at the whole thing this way . If Huberdeau walks next year for nothing . so what.

Yesterday morning we were facing a forced rebuild after a season where we were division champs and betting favourites to be in the finals.. one trade just put us back in the hunt for at least one last good all in run back..  one year close to the kids we have being solid.. tons of cap space in the offseason . If we have to reevaluate after next season so be it ..

We replaced the best piece of that top line with I feel a better piece .. love Chucky and not running him down but there's not a true fan if they're being honest that didn't feel Johnny was the biggest reason Chucky had the season he had . 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Yep.. some of the d has to be moved around .. Mackey and Valimaki both need waivers next year and there's no way bt will risk losing vakimaki on waivers.. 

I look at the whole thing this way . If Huberdeau walks next year for nothing . so what.

Yesterday morning we were facing a forced rebuild after a season where we were division champs and betting favourites to be in the finals.. one trade just put us back in the hunt for at least one last good all in run back..  one year close to the kids we have being solid.. tons of cap space in the offseason . If we have to reevaluate after next season so be it ..

We replaced the best piece of that top line with I feel a better piece .. love Chucky and not running him down but there's not a true fan if they're being honest that didn't feel Johnny was the biggest reason Chucky had the season he had . 

totally disagree, that would be another organizational failure.  Trading an asset as good as Tkachuk and not setting yourself for at least several more years would be a horrendously bad decision. 

they either have to sign Huberdeau or if he won’t then they need to flip him. Anything else will make this trade a failure. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cross16 said:

totally disagree, that would be another organizational failure.  Trading an asset as good as Tkachuk and not setting yourself for at least several more years would be a horrendously bad decision. 

they either have to sign Huberdeau or if he won’t then they need to flip him. Anything else will make this trade a failure. 

I get where you're coming from .. but tkachuk was gonna walk too.. the flip side wouid have been prospects that may or may not have panned out.. I agree it would suck but we still have enough pieces that if we have to start a rebuild after next season so be it ..

But that being said I think he can be resigned ..he's a Canadian kid..grew up with real hockey fan bases..now we have the 8th year hammer .

I

14 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I get where you're coming from .. but tkachuk was gonna walk too.. the flip side wouid have been prospects that may or may not have panned out.. I agree it would suck but we still have enough pieces that if we have to start a rebuild after next season so be it ..

But that being said I think he can be resigned ..he's a Canadian kid..grew up with real hockey fan bases..now we have the 8th year hammer .

I

that’s not relevant imo. End of the day it’s all about asset management, especially as a small market club. This isn’t about avoiding rebuilds (I’d welcome one) it’s about managing assets and you can’t let top assets walk for nothing in this market. 

12 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I’m not sure I’d be getting optimistic over Kadri. Flames are at about 11mill in cap space and still have Mang to sign. Unless they plan on moving someone out there isn’t room for Kadri 

If we can trade Monahan then we give that money to Mangiapane. It could work.

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

that’s not relevant imo. End of the day it’s all about asset management, especially as a small market club. This isn’t about avoiding rebuilds (I’d welcome one) it’s about managing assets and you can’t let top assets walk for nothing in this market. 

Ya agree here.  The Flames future is still not clear until we lock up Huberdeau long term.  Otherwise, it's a wasted season where we have no choice but to move Huberdeau at TDL for something.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

What's the advantage of this type of contract? All the bonuses up front and early?  Zero tax on bonuses?

Signing bonuses need to be paid no matter what. So protects player against any type of work stoppage or a buyout. You also can negotiate when the bonuses are paid out so gives the player more flexibility and ability to have more of their money in their pockets as opposed to the clubs.

so basically more security and more flexibility