2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You me both.  I think it would need a player going out t make it work.

Valimaki fits the bill.

Unfortunate.

Maybe it's not needed, but you have to think it makes the most sense.

We have about $2.1m in cap space, so depending on the deal we could make it work.

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Brutal.  Locked ourselves in from being buyers at the TDL right when we want to be buyers at the TDL for the final pieces.

Now is the time to trade away first round picks to go for it.

You'll appreciate the wording of what he said here. 

There really not that locked. Overreaction to say they can't move the picks, it's just got layers to it. 

• Like 1

Opportunity is coming for young players in the Flames organization.

This year, they're obviously going to be tight to the cap. Even more-so next year. I've always thought Vladar would be moved when his contract at league min is up and I think that ends up being the case. The Flames still would need to clear some money, Dube/Tanev/Backlund/Zadorov/Toffoli all with yr left at that point. In a years time, I think Pelletier, Schwindt and Coronato will be NHLers, almost by necessity

27 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is a big signing. In the immediacy, it gives the Flames very good C depth. Something the Flames have been searching a long time for. 

Still some interesting roster moves to take place. The D and Ruzicka. Wouldn't surprise me if Rooney and Ruzicka are in a timeshare of that 4th line C role. 

The Flames still have a bit of flexibility. It would be nice to see Pelletier force his way into the lineup, but I think the Flames would still like to add one more forward. I wonder if 1.5-1.75 could entice Rodrigues. He's getting close to PTO territory. There's bound to be more attrition this year than last so I have no doubt we'll see Pelletier this season.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Mangiapane

Coleman-Kadri-Toffoli

Dube-Backlund-Rodrigues

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Ruzicka

I think Sutter will start with balanced D pairs, whichever pair is playing well will play the most

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Weegar

Kylington-Tanev

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Mangiapane-Kadri-Rodriguez

Ruzicka-Backlund-Coleman

Lucic-Rooney-Lewis

Pelletier

Pelletier draws in for Lucic at times, or Takes Ruzicka's spot on LW, while Ruzie could draw in as a C or LW on the 4th line.  

For the D, I think it's fairly likely that Weegs is top pair with Ras.  Hanifin or Kylington play with Tanev.  The minutes will be mostly equal between the Tanev and Zadorov pairs.    

I subtracted Dube for a particular reason and I won't go into it.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Good news because I think we can all agree we are at least one RW short.  With no cap space, this will have to come via trade.  I'm guessing Hanifin.

Has to be Hanifin or Valimaki.

Valimaki waived and replaced by Mackey is a wash cap wise.

Hanifin allow us to add a $5M or less player.

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Yeah. Could certainly be an uncomfortable conversation. 

Flames are risk intolerant, if that ever becomes close to an issue.

I do think Sutter has less of a favorable view of Dube that we do mostly here.

He has been a lightening rod at times for Sutter's views.

Anyway, didn't really want to talk about it, just suggesting that ER vs DD is not currently a big difference.

Sutter likes guys he can flex.

1 minute ago, The_Snowbear said:

i think valimaki is finished i think the injuries have totally derailed him not really positive he can get back on track

I think they are willing to give him one year in the NHL and roll the dice.

But, he also is the most expendable player currently listed on the roster.

Can't bury him without losing $500k to cap.

Can't afford a 8th D, just to have him get games in.

Possibly Meloche >> Mackey >> Valimaki.

Not 100% sure, but I think Sutter would feel that way. 

5 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

I literally Feel for Montreal with Price etc then they lose weber that team has the worst luck right now with players

I would say Vegas had it worse.

But I have no sympathy for Vegas.

Montreal self inflicted some f their pain.

Trade Sergachev for Drouin.

Maintain that players have to be French Canadian.

Not all of course, but it puts them in a unique position.

They were drooling over Huberdeau possibly being available.

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

No reason why he doesn't use 91.

Maybe that's why Hubie didn't take it?

That was my first thought ..not that I'm sure Kadri wouid complain if he'd taken it ..but if they were working Kadri for a long time like Tre said they were he may have given Hubie some inside knowledge ..  and he likes 10 for Guy Lafleur 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Has to be Hanifin or Valimaki.

Valimaki waived and replaced by Mackey is a wash cap wise.

Hanifin allow us to add a $5M or less player.

We still got $2.1m in cap open...   Send vakimaki and a pick to Edmonton for Puljjaarvi and just get it over with 😁

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Kadri had so much success with Nichuskin, I feel like Puljujarvi could be the next Nichushkin.  It could work very well for us.

EDM is saying we are worse than before, that we have one year or so, that they still have a better team than us.  They beat us to a pulp, so nothing changes that.  A Pooly trade where he becomes a 30 goal guy would send them over the edge.

8 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

We still got $2.1m in cap open...   Send vakimaki and a pick to Edmonton for Puljjaarvi and just get it over with 😁

Well, we could send them Valimaki and they also retain $750k for Pooly.  After all, they still owe us for getting the Real Deal for Lucic.

I have a bad feeling that we are gonna regret moving Monahan…

the other two areas that could bite in a few years are the back Ends of Hubie and Kadri contracts….however, one thing I can say is both are highly competitive players which often extends production of really good players which these two are so it may not be that bad…I could see Hubie fall to a 2nd liner and Kadri to a 3rd liner after 35 years old which 7 and 10 mil will sting some even if the cap goes up some…the key I guess may lie in any trade or move clauses on the back end of those contracts?

The other sting is Cgy has moved an awfully lot of 1st round picks…which makes the prospect pool really thin at about the same time these guys are mid 30’s and the team will need theses picks we have been tossing out like candy…again, hopefully there are some options for

moving theses guys after they are 35 ish…not to say they won’t still be high level player but it would be good to have options open should it be needed…

ok so those are the concerns…not too bad over all…now for the positive!

Cgy is definitely committed to a 2-5 year window to win  now which is nice…BT seems to be all in, also hearing he’s looking at finally addressing the RW which has been a major issue since the Iggy days!

so mortgaging the future to

win now…well if they win could be with while 😊👍