2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

I think the Flames will sign both Gaudreau and Tkachuk for mid to long term contracts. Sutter has been preaching how imperative it is to allow your core to grow together. He’s not the GM but he has that level of influence and experience of one. I think Monny is gonny…lol I just couldn’t resist…with the cap expected to go up over the next few years they could backload some offers to fit guys like Mangiapane and Kylington under the cap as well. I think both Sutter and Tre will work some magic…let’s not forget Connie is Santa Claus out here handing out contracts!

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Considering the age and what similar players seem to get, I think he is looking for $4M.  Kinda like a young Tanev.  Just a solid player.  Would I pay $4M?  Not really.  

Let Holland overpay for Kulaks services..we still have Mackey and Valimaki chillin’ in the cut 

7 minutes ago, rickross said:

Let Holland overpay for Kulaks services..we still have Mackey and Valimaki chillin’ in the cut 

I suspect Holland tries to low ball him.  He's already said he would love to go back to MTL.

I would Kulak on par with what I expect Mackey to become.

46 minutes ago, rickross said:

I think the Flames will sign both Gaudreau and Tkachuk for mid to long term contracts. Sutter has been preaching how imperative it is to allow your core to grow together. He’s not the GM but he has that level of influence and experience of one. I think Monny is gonny…lol I just couldn’t resist…with the cap expected to go up over the next few years they could backload some offers to fit guys like Mangiapane and Kylington under the cap as well. I think both Sutter and Tre will work some magic…let’s not forget Connie is Santa Claus out here handing out contracts!

There's no more "backloading" like we had in the past.  Cap hits are the average salary of a player over the entire length of the deal.

So Canucks GM said he wants to get rid of the country club feel of his dressing room and wants to make big moves this summer to shake things up.  Sounds like only untouchables are Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, and Demko.

Can we trade for Brock Boeser?  He's RFA.  

I'm thinking Toffoli is one who the Canucks felt got away from them.  And also Lucic is born and raised in Vancouver and may be interested to finish his career at home.  Both these guys are best friends off the ice so I'm sure they would be glad to be traded together.  This let's the Flames trim Lucic's cap hit and take a chance that Boeser is a better fit than Toffoli.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

So Canucks GM said he wants to get rid of the country club feel of his dressing room and wants to make big moves this summer to shake things up.  Sounds like only untouchables are Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, and Demko.

I'm thinking Toffoli is one who the Canucks felt got away from them.  And also Lucic is born and raised in Vancouver and may be interested to finish his career at home.  Both these guys are best friends off the ice so I'm sure they would be glad to be traded together.  This let's the Flames trim Lucic's cap hit and take a chance that Boeser is a better fit than Toffoli.

Isn’t Brock’s qualifying offer starting at like $7.5M or something the rather? Much too rich for us at this stage, Lucic does give us somewhat of a edge with keeping opponents in check…Johnny would be a pancake out there without proper protection. Knowing Toffoli in a contract year he puts up numbers ..just our luck! 

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

11 hours ago, rickross said:

Isn’t Brock’s qualifying offer starting at like $7.5M or something the rather? Much too rich for us at this stage, Lucic does give us somewhat of a edge with keeping opponents in check…Johnny would be a pancake out there without proper protection. Knowing Toffoli in a contract year he puts up numbers ..just our luck! 

Toffoli has 2 years remaining, so it's a decent contract considering his average production.

Boesser and Toffoli have similar production, so the only real advantage is age.

It's not like Boesser played with crap players.

It's alarming to hear that VAN has a country club going on.

That's what we finally got rid of.

No need to revert and pay more for it.

I don't think Lucic prevent JH from getting pancaked.

He is after the fact retribution, usually a penalty for a hit or instigating.

Every player actually on the ice is there to prevent it.

Guddy and Zaddy will be more likely to be on the ice, assuming we can keep one at the least.

I would like to keep Lucic if it works, but otherwise if he wants to retire, fine.

Monahan should get us some cap relief.

But we still need to have the big guys in some way to build on what we did.

15 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Flames contract projections from an NJ fan.

Has Gudbranson getting 3 and Jarnkrok getting 4.4 which is rather ridiculous.

looks like those are projections based on market value equivalents and they tend to be pretty good. That being said I think the flat cap environment has made these projections more challenging as they tend to be based on comps for the last several years. 

what I find funny thought if how people are somehow act like the flames don’t know the position they are in. Like the cap and these contracts just snuck up on them?

they are a better run organization than that. They have a plan we just don’t know what it is yet. 

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

They’ve also expressed the desire to be more cap friendly. Don’t know what they would trade Boeser for those 2 contracts and add a whole pile of money to their cap. They don’t really have the flexibility for that. 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Toffoli has 2 years remaining, so it's a decent contract considering his average production.

Boesser and Toffoli have similar production, so the only real advantage is age.

It's not like Boesser played with crap players.

It's alarming to hear that VAN has a country club going on.

That's what we finally got rid of.

No need to revert and pay more for it.

I don't think Lucic prevent JH from getting pancaked.

He is after the fact retribution, usually a penalty for a hit or instigating.

Every player actually on the ice is there to prevent it.

Guddy and Zaddy will be more likely to be on the ice, assuming we can keep one at the least.

I would like to keep Lucic if it works, but otherwise if he wants to retire, fine.

Monahan should get us some cap relief.

But we still need to have the big guys in some way to build on what we did.

If we are going to lose Lucic for whatever reason, then I hope we keep Zadorov.  $4.25-mil x 5-years sounds good.  Pair him with Tanev and he will do just fine.  Trade Kylington and Hanifin and get a true #1 LD.

16 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Couple players in Vegas to keep an eye on

Nicolas Roy

Nic Hague

Vegas has 200k in cap space and 18 players signed. They are a team that should legitimately worry about an offersheet.

Roy is a 6'4" RHS C/RW. He put up 39pts this past season. He's made league minimum for the entirety of his career.

Hague is a 6'6" LHD. Steady but not flashy. Coming off his ELC

Whenever it comes to players I haven’t watched enough, I look for statistical comps. When I looked into these 2 players here’s what I found:

Hague is statistically comparable to Gudbranson plus he has the size and has recorded slightly more points (which isn’t saying much). I’m not sure about his foot speed or “hockey sense” or defensive zone play (I’m going to see if there’s any YouTube clips of his play), but given that he’s coming off his ELC and that He’s young and has room to grow, this may be the perfect player to bring in on LD to replace Zad on third pairing. 1 caveat however is that he isn’t as physical as Gudbranson (about 2/3s the number of hits thrown over 3 years) but Gud could probably be a good mentor for the kid and they could likely pair up well together.

Roy has piqued my interest as well. He’s statistically comparable to Jarnkrok but has size to boot. He also compares well statistically to Nick Paul - in almost every metric except hits (Paul throws his body 2x as much as Roy over a 3 year period). Again, I’ll have to check out YouTube to get a sense of his foot speed, hockey sense, and style of play, but once again, this guy could be a fantastic add at a huge position of need. 

I must say, these appear to be great suggestions TBC! As you mentioned, with Vegas’ cap issues and our need for some cheaper contracts at critical positions, these targets appear to appease those needs. 

Here's my first stab at the Flames off-season using capfriendly. It assumes a Mony buyout - costing us $2.75M on the cap this upcoming season, but I believe a few teams would be happy to acquire him in the last year of his deal - like Detroit (flip him at the TDL seems to be their MO) SEA, etc. If a trade partner could be found, we'd have that much more cap available: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3337581

I'll likely make some more and potentially incorporate the 2 players mentioned above by TBC. Take a look and feel free to dissect it here :)

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

The house has been pretty much cleaned since Toffoli was there.  So unless Aquilino or the fans are calling shots I don't see this regime giving too much worry about past moves.

Hi guys, so after spending most of my day on CapFriendly :lol: 

I think I've come up with a lineup that fits the cap, works with the tradeable assets we have, and only requires 3 trades + signings. 

ROSTER SIZE SALARY CAP CAP HIT OVERAGES Tooltip BONUSES CAP SPACE
21 $82,500,000 $80,050,000 $0 $0 $2,450,000
Left Wing Center Right Wing
Logo of the CGY
Gaudreau, Johnny
$9,500,000
LW
UFA
Logo of the CGY
Lindholm, Elias
$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the CGY
Toffoli, Tyler
$4,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the NSH
Jeannot, Tanner
$800,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Copp, Andrew
$5,500,000
LW, RW, C
UFA
Logo of the STL
Kyrou, Jordan
$2,800,000
RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the CGY
Coleman, Blake
$4,900,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the CGY
Backlund, Mikael
$5,350,000
C
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the CGY
Mangiapane, Andrew
$4,750,000
LW, RW
RFA
Logo of the CGY
Lucic, Milan
$5,250,000
LW
NMC NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the CGY
Järnkrok, Calle
$2,000,000
LW, C, RW
UFA
Logo of the CGY
Lewis, Trevor
$800,000
RW
UFA
Left Defense Right Defense Goaltender
Logo of the CGY
Hanifin, Noah
$4,950,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the CGY
Andersson, Rasmus
$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 4
Logo of the CGY
Markström, Jacob
$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the CGY
Kylington, Oliver
$1,750,000
LD/RD
RFA
Logo of the CGY
Tanev, Christopher
$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the CGY
Vladar, Daniel
$750,000
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the SEA
Dunn, Vince
$4,000,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the CGY
Gudbranson, Erik
$2,000,000
RD
UFA

Logo of the CGY
Stone, Michael
$800,000
RD
UFA

It's too bad it won't fully embed here, but here's the link if you want to see how I got to this lineup. the link explains all the trades, signings, and everything. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3339480

I put in the following in the comments of my proposals:

- When it comes to Jeannot, Valimaki is a suggestion. I'd be open to our 2nd round pick, prospects, whatever.
- I'd also suggest Dube and Valimaki are exchangeable in the 2 proposed trades. Perhaps NSH would prefer Dube to replace Jeannot (Dube has some term left and is an RFA at the end of it) and perhaps SEA would prefer Valimaki in exchange for Dunn (D replaces D).
- Monahan to SEA is the opportunity for them to flip him at the TDL or re-sign him for cheaper at the end of the season. I could see Detroit being interested in him for this exact scenario.

21 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I think I've come up with a lineup that fits the cap, works with the tradeable assets we have, and only requires 3 trades + signings. 

Logo of the CGY
Gaudreau, Johnny
$9,500,000
LW
UFA
Logo of the CGY
Lindholm, Elias
$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the CGY
Toffoli, Tyler
$4,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the NSH
Jeannot, Tanner
$800,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Copp, Andrew
$5,500,000
LW, RW, C
UFA
Logo of the STL
Kyrou, Jordan
$2,800,000
RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the CGY
Coleman, Blake
$4,900,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the CGY
Backlund, Mikael
$5,350,000
C
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the CGY
Mangiapane, Andrew
$4,750,000
LW, RW
RFA
Logo of the CGY
Lucic, Milan
$5,250,000
LW
NMC NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the CGY
Järnkrok, Calle
$2,000,000
LW, C, RW
UFA
Logo of the CGY
Lewis, Trevor
$800,000
RW
UFA
Logo of the CGY
Hanifin, Noah
$4,950,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the CGY
Andersson, Rasmus
$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 4
Logo of the CGY
Markström, Jacob
$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the CGY
Kylington, Oliver
$1,750,000
LD/RD
RFA
Logo of the CGY
Tanev, Christopher
$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the CGY
Vladar, Daniel
$750,000
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the SEA
Dunn, Vince
$4,000,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the CGY
Gudbranson, Erik
$2,000,000
RD
UFA

Logo of the CGY
Stone, Michael
$800,000
RD
UFA

It's too bad it won't fully embed here, but here's the link if you want to see how I got to this lineup. the link explains all the trades, signings, and everything. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3339480

- When it comes to Jeannot, Valimaki is a suggestion. I'd be open to our 2nd round pick, prospects, whatever.
- I'd also suggest Dube and Valimaki are exchangeable in the 2 proposed trades. Perhaps NSH would prefer Dube to replace Jeannot (Dube has some term left and is an RFA at the end of it) and perhaps SEA would prefer Valimaki in exchange for Dunn (D replaces D).
- Monahan to SEA is the opportunity for them to flip him at the TDL or re-sign him for cheaper at the end of the season. I could see Detroit being interested in him for this exact scenario.

Kyrou was a PPG last year on a good salary with RFA status next year.  If I were St.Loo I'd be asking for a massive overpayment, maybe even Chucky straight up.  They hold all the cards in that deal.  I do think Kyrou adds much needed speed but whats it worth?

I don’t see many changes coming…I think Gaudreau,Tachuck, Manji and Shilly all sign

Backlund is traded 

Gunny, Lewis and Janko (sp?) etc go UFA

Pelletier and MacKey are AHL call ups…maybe Ruzi too

Stone re-ups for same deal..maybe more term but same $$$ and role.

Gaudreau/Lindholm/Tachuck 

Coleman or Manji/Monahan/Toffoil 

Coleman or Manj/ Pelletier or Ruzi/Dube

Lucic/Pelletier or Ruzi/???UFA

Hanifin/Anderson

Shilly/Tanev

Makey/Zaddy 

stone

Valimaki (maybe…or he’s traded) 

lots of Talk about progression from

within During the exit interviews with Sutter and BT…also lots

of talk about keeping as

much of the team intact especially thentop

line and Manji.

it’s gonna be a very tight cap but I think it all slots in…and because I think they keep most of the key players…you see little change…I also think you see a few discounts where Manji, Shilly and Zadorov are concerned…maybe even Gaudreau and Tachuck take less money to keep

this team mostly intact…not

much maybe a mil each…I get a feel they do 9 mil over 3 years each…Manji 5*3 too Zadorov comes back on the same $ at 2 years and Shilly dose a 1.5 at 1 year  

I think most of this team will re-up for less money and shorter 1-3 year terms…I think the reason is they want and feel they can win and that’s why there will be few changes and things fit under the cap all

be it very tightly 

2 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Kyrou was a PPG last year on a good salary with RFA status next year.  If I were St.Loo I'd be asking for a massive overpayment, maybe even Chucky straight up.  They hold all the cards in that deal.  I do think Kyrou adds much needed speed but whats it worth?

They hold all the cards in the deal? Really? Can you explain to me how? The way I see it, after next season they have O’Reilly, Kyrou, and Thomas to sign (and I’ll assume Tarasenko is not a Blue at that point). Like you said, Kyrou is a PPG player so it’s inevitable that Kyrou is going to get paid. What isn’t inevitable is Chucky being available to the Blues next year for them to acquire - so they’re essentially choosing between Kyrou and Chucky now. I think it makes sense. Why not get a jump on the Kyrou situation now and end up with Tkachuk? You’re likely correct that I included too many pieces from the Blues side, though, I imagine they’ll be competing with other offers from other teams as well. The Blues 1st rounder is a late one + Kyrou may be more realistic. Plus I argue that St. Louis may really want Thomas and Chucky to play together given the family history. I’d like to hear why you think St. Louis holds the cards here. 

Also, that 2OA + picks/prospects from NJ, and the family connection there with GM Fitzgerald doesn’t look bad either. Maybe we then go after Forsberg if he’s interested in joining team sweden to replace Chucky 😂 we’ll have the cap space!

3 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Logo of the CGY
Gaudreau, Johnny
$9,500,000
LW
UFA
Logo of the CGY
Lindholm, Elias
$4,850,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the CGY
Toffoli, Tyler
$4,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the NSH
Jeannot, Tanner
$800,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
Copp, Andrew
$5,500,000
LW, RW, C
UFA
Logo of the STL
Kyrou, Jordan
$2,800,000
RW
RFA - 1
Logo of the CGY
Coleman, Blake
$4,900,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 5
Logo of the CGY
Backlund, Mikael
$5,350,000
C
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the CGY
Mangiapane, Andrew
$4,750,000
LW, RW
RFA
Logo of the CGY
Lucic, Milan
$5,250,000
LW
NMC NTC
UFA - 1
Logo of the CGY
Järnkrok, Calle
$2,000,000
LW, C, RW
UFA
Logo of the CGY
Lewis, Trevor
$800,000
RW
UFA
Logo of the CGY
Hanifin, Noah
$4,950,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the CGY
Andersson, Rasmus
$4,550,000
RD
UFA - 4
Logo of the CGY
Markström, Jacob
$6,000,000
G
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the CGY
Kylington, Oliver
$1,750,000
LD/RD
RFA
Logo of the CGY
Tanev, Christopher
$4,500,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the CGY
Vladar, Daniel
$750,000
G
RFA - 1
Logo of the SEA
Dunn, Vince
$4,000,000
LD/RD
RFA - 1
Logo of the CGY
Gudbranson, Erik
$2,000,000
RD
UFA

Logo of the CGY
Stone, Michael
$800,000
RD
UFA

If we trade Tkachuk then we absolutely have to either land a stud #1 LD or a stud #1 C (who will play as our second line Center).

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

They hold all the cards in the deal? Really? Can you explain to me how? The way I see it, after next season they have O’Reilly, Kyrou, and Thomas to sign (and I’ll assume Tarasenko is not a Blue at that point). Like you said, Kyrou is a PPG player so it’s inevitable that Kyrou is going to get paid. What isn’t inevitable is Chucky being available to the Blues next year for them to acquire - so they’re essentially choosing between Kyrou and Chucky now. I think it makes sense. Why not get a jump on the Kyrou situation now and end up with Tkachuk? You’re likely correct that I included too many pieces from the Blues side, though, I imagine they’ll be competing with other offers from other teams as well. The Blues 1st rounder is a late one + Kyrou may be more realistic. Plus I argue that St. Louis may really want Thomas and Chucky to play together given the family history. I’d like to hear why you think St. Louis holds the cards here. 

Also, that 2OA + picks/prospects from NJ, and the family connection there with GM Fitzgerald doesn’t look bad either. Maybe we then go after Forsberg if he’s interested in joining team sweden to replace Chucky 😂 we’ll have the cap space!

The basics of it is the Blues dont HAVE to do anything with Kyrou this off season. They dont have alot of contracts to worry about this year and Kyrou will still be under ST Loo control next summer.  By then theyll have a better idea what to do with the mass amount of contracts due next off season.

Basically the Blues have time to deal with these things next summer which the Flames have to do this summer. If there was any whiff of Kyrou being shopped there would be alot of interest to drive the price up.  Personally I think OReilly and Tarasenko will be cap casualties next summer to help make room for the younger players.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if the Flames can offer Tkachuk a $9.5-mil x 8-years as a qualifying offer?  In other words, does that offer negate or satisfy the 1-year $9-mil QO that needs to be made to retain his rights?  In other other words, don't give Tkachuk the opportunity to accept a 1-year offer.  He either has to accept the $10-mil x 8 OR decline and continue negotiating as an RFA.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Does anyone know if the Flames can offer Tkachuk a $9.5-mil x 8-years as a qualifying offer?  In other words, does that offer negate or satisfy the 1-year $9-mil QO that needs to be made to retain his rights?  In other other words, don't give Tkachuk the opportunity to accept a 1-year offer.  He either has to accept the $10-mil x 8 OR decline and continue negotiating as an RFA.

The Flames have up to the entry draft to issue a QO.  It's a rights retention thing.

I haven't found any signs that you can qualify with 8 years.

But one would have expected that a player could sign an extension prior to the draft.

If he was able to sign that, then the QO is not needed.

The thing is, if Tkachuk were to sign the QO, it takes the offer sheet off the table.

It makes more sense for him to use the threat of an OS to negotiate a better deal.

Or an actual one that overpays him.

It causes the Flames to pay whatever or lose hom for picks.

Would he be better served to hold off with the pending arbitration?

I doubt the Flames want to go there.

Not for the money part, but the short deal issue.

59 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The Flames have up to the entry draft to issue a QO.  It's a rights retention thing.

I haven't found any signs that you can qualify with 8 years.

But one would have expected that a player could sign an extension prior to the draft.

If he was able to sign that, then the QO is not needed.

The thing is, if Tkachuk were to sign the QO, it takes the offer sheet off the table.

It makes more sense for him to use the threat of an OS to negotiate a better deal.

Or an actual one that overpays him.

It causes the Flames to pay whatever or lose hom for picks.

Would he be better served to hold off with the pending arbitration?

I doubt the Flames want to go there.

Not for the money part, but the short deal issue.

So the question was, does an 8-year offer count as a qualifying offer?

Would it count if the average of the 8-year is higher than the minimum QO number?  QO after all, is just a minimum offer.  Does a QO have to be 1-year only?

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

So the question was, does an 8-year offer count as a qualifying offer?

Would it count if the average of the 8-year is higher than the minimum QO number?  QO after all, is just a minimum offer.  Does a QO have to be 1-year only?

It is my understanding that QO’s are always 1 year deals, and there are rules based on what the qualification salary has to be. Ranging from 100-110% of the previous years salary depending on what there AAV was. I believe the QO is to offer a fair number that could be extended over term and is more or less a starting point in negotiations. Unless the player has arbitration rights. 

12 hours ago, LouCifer said:

It's not going to work this way. Fans are always driving the narrative of trading Tkachuk to St. Loo

Army targeted Kyrou when he drafted him and there has been zero disappointment. Add in they have $9mil in cap space to add 5 players, including Husso and Perron. Losing Kyrou for Tkachuk and adding $6.2 in cap just isn't viable.

It can also be argued O'Reilly and Thomas can play a hard game equal to Tkachuk's so you're not really adding something that you don't already have.

The time to make a bold attempt to get Thomas was last offseason, but has passed. Another year of Thomas and Kyrou at $2.3 each makes both virtually untouchable unless it's an offer you absolutely can't refuse.

But it's a cap world, so having solid top 6 players at that salary is a massive luxury not many teams have. So you're not giving it up.

• Thanks 1

If Tkachuk is in play, it has to be for the highest bidder.  STL may not even make sense considering their cap.  The reasons for signing him is to get a specific skillset or bring in a home boy for PR purposes.  Not sure that is a good enough reason, though.  There are probably 20 teams that could make a decent offer, none of them would really save us cap.