Playoffs GDT - Oilers @ FLAMES - Fri 20 May 2022

rocketdoctor

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Still a few players not willing to do everything it takes.

Hanifin walked the slapper from Bouchard.

Others letting a guy walk past them.

Zaddy not taking the player and just leisurely skating back with Draisaitl moving N/S.  

It's not like the Oilers took over the game.

We had so many penalties called that there was no flow.

We get a PP and have no sense of how to play it.

Last one was in the 2nd or 1st period.

Can't have Gaudreau sitting on the bench for minutes at a time.

Nothing against Stone, but he's not the fleetest of foot.

He's at times hanging Kyler out to dry.

Hey, I'm not making excuses or saying we are perfect.

It's a game we should have had in the bag.

i don’t disagree with you. It is a game they should have won. Kylington and any smart player knows who they’re playing with. They need to make up for other players regardless of who they are. Like on the Pp, they needed the guy at the right point to pull back and cover the blue line. 

it is stuff like that, moving like a team and unit. 

9 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

yup! 
there were a lot of odd choices on the powerplays. For some reason the #2 unit is looking better. I feel Toffoli is still a bad choice for PP1. He does that a lot where he looks around with it then makes a bad decision. 

we don’t pass it like the good pp teams out there. We have the personnel but seem to force plays too much. 

Toffoli scored on the PP and got another one that was actually called back.

But, I think there may be another thing that creates a problem.

Too many RHS on one unit.

We were playing a 3-1 game for too long.

You have to get a 4th one or be able to not take penalties.

We were fine on the PK, but it takes the toll on the players.

Ruins the non-PK players time.

Takes Backlund and Lindholm out of the game.

Same with Mangiapane.

You just knew that the penaties would be called until it was tied.

After that, they revert to normal play call.

Can we get the refs from the Dallas series?

At least they were reasonable.

Lots to unpack in this one.

A great start. Jumped out to a pair of two goal leads. Couldn't hold them. Edmonton has gotta feel very comfy playing from behind right now. They know they can come back on the Flames.

Flames didn't manage a pair of really key moments well tonight

- They get the goal called off on goalie interference. That had the potential to be a big momentum swing, but instead EDM scores seconds later anyway. This was the turning point of the game IMO.

-PP with under 10 to go in the 3rd, tie game. Sloppy pass and 12 seconds later a SHG is in the net. Had the potential to take a lead on that PP and instead end up trailing. 

What was with the quick whistles? It hurt both teams obviously, but it's not often you see two goals in a game washed away thanks to a quick whistle.

Scoring goals isn't a concern against Edmonton. Flames have scored 3+ in every game against EDM aside from the season opener. They've gotta figure out how to defend the Oilers and they've gotta do it fast. The Oilers have scored 5+ in every game but one. That's not gonna win you 4 playoff games.

Game 3 is big. Calgary can't seem to win in Edmonton. They're gonna have to find a way to do it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

c9b00d4a35add5f7510f21b33363746c.png

I have to agree with this statement as well. The Flames were not on their game but the reffing was so one sided. The coilers could retaliate but we could not, they could run interfernace we could not, they could scrum it up we could not. Mc Baby can hold your stick but your Blockchained if you  look his direction its a penalty.  Nurse can cross check anyone he wants from behind Gubranson, Zadorov do that in the box.  Kane can hit guys from behind no call, slashing was fine if you were in white, red in the box. It was ok to swing your stick like a wild man but Stone gets 4 minutes  because princess falls into his stick while his player has hold of Stones, Blockchaining joke. The coleman penalty, thats another one, cant fight for the puck, but Mang gets man handled after the whistle nope thats ok, sticks up for himself , no you can't do that your jersey is the wrong colour

We lost this game by poor covearage as well but when your playing against a team that is proected by the zebras as much as last night its impossible. This is the exact Satoshi Nakamoto that turns me off hockey, when the league trys to hard to make this pond hockey. The Mc baby beer league Satoshi Nakamoto I don't like at all, you can't defend because the rules don't allow it. 

• Like 1

Not a well played game by the flames imo. Their puck management was poor especially on exits. Gave the oilers a lot of zone time and some odd man rushes just due to bad plays in the neutral zone or at the blue lines. Also did not like the d core in this game. Z had a really tough game and the Flames really need someone on that d core to step up against McDavid. 
this game was exactly what was feared before the series. If you don’t keep the game 5 on 5 the oilers are dangerous and that’s exactly what happened. At 5on 5 I thought the Flames controlled the game but they couldn’t keep it 5 on 5. 
Flames need to regroup. Better puck support, better puck management and keep the game 5 on 5. Not going to be easy heading up North and now the Oilers are really feeling it. 
while Markstrom was better it would be helpful if the Flames for the same Markstrom you saw in the Dallas series. 
another missed opportunity for the Flames. I hope it doesn’t come back to bite them 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Boy, at 3-3, it already felt like the game was lost.  Yes the refs and all but the Flames actually got scared of McDavid and got scrambly.  That scrambliness carried through when the other Oilers lines were on the ice.  We weren't in control the entire game.  We were chasing.  The Oilers were faster, hungrier, and for once, it wasn't just all Mcdavid.  Their 2nd and 3rd lines sustained a bit of pressure in the Flames zone.

I actually feel like Oettinger was so good that we worked the puck around a bit more for better shot options.  Against Smith, we are sending prayers at the net hoping he would mess up.  That's just too disrespectful and too lazy.  He's shakey but our shot selection was hopeless.  In a weird way, Mike Smith has us right where he wants us and that's such a fail on our part.

The game is tough for the team to manage and it's a tough test because there are two Oilers teams.  The one when McDavid is on the ice and the one when he's not.  When he's on the ice, we need to collapse better to the middle and keep McDavid to the outside.  When he's not on the ice, we need some patience.  It seems we are too eager to go score thinking their best play is on the bench but reality is our forwards cheat too much and we get caught in our own zone.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Ya agreed.  Reffing was rough but we got the two biggest calls in our favour.  Two goals called back to keep it 3-3 when it should've been 5-3 at that point.  The game was still right there for the taking and we let them score a short handed goal.

Our goal should've counted too and this one should've been 7-4 for the Oilers.  I mean, that's just not close.  

Agreed on both counts Peeps. That’s the way I see it. This game was not out of reach, but we didn’t reach the level of compete needed to win. McDavid scoring seconds after the no-goal call against Edmonton showed me everything I needed to know about the Flames last night. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the 3.5 hrs of sleep after that game.🤐

My only takeaways are:

1. This poor level of officiating can't continue. Both teams got screwed with that crap.

2. Stop letting it go pond hockey, 2nd period in particular. They want to, we don't have to.

Markstrom had key saves and not key saves. None of this is on him.

Flames in 5. Glad I get a 8pm EST start tomorrow.

We are a very good road team. Put this one in the rearview mirror, play Flames hockey, stay focused.

• Like 2

Before the refs took the game over, the Flames were playing well at 5v5.

Outshooting them, etc.

Two things stood out that alterered the course of the game.

The first was allowing a player to hold onto a stick and create a goal.

The 2nd was weak dive call.

That set up a PP because instead of taking Lindy and Keith, they picked one.

I get it, you want to even up the calls, but punish one team in the process.

No warning, they just started picking an extra player.

You know it's bad when the refs have to review their own calls for when they blew the whisle.

How do you need to review it, if you made the call?

It seemed like we were quite capable at winning the game before the nonsense started.

Rolling lines, playing hard.

Refs seemed to think that it was getting out of hand.

But it seemed like mostly just playoff hockey.

Perhaps they felt game 1 was too much hitting and needed to rein it in.

It's just another game 2 loss.  Not like we have won a game 2 this decade.

Play the way we started game 1 and we will be fine.

Score first, put the pressure on the Oilers in front of their fans.

13 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

c9b00d4a35add5f7510f21b33363746c.png

I watched the game again, and the refs looked even worse the second time around...

When the ref said he intended to blow, it was one of the few things he said that he got right...   He did just that...

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

After facing arguably the most impressive goaltending performance in NHL playoff history, we are now facing the most prolific individual scoring performance ever seen.

I thought the path to the Conference Finals was supposed to be easy.

I’m the only one who said it wouldn’t be easy. 

I'm still a little confused on this call:

High-Sticking is the name of an infraction when a player accidentally, or intentionally, makes contact with an opposing player above his shoulders. This typically takes place when two players are battling for a puck, one gains possession of it, and the opposing player will try to take it away via a stick-lift. Sometimes the stick-lift will miss and make contact with a player’s head. Following that, a High-Sticking penalty will be called.

I rewatched the Keith goal during SN's coverage before the AVS game.  They didn't at all talk about McD having hold of Ras's stick.  Anyone watching that would think it was a legal play, because the ref ignored it.  It was so obvious that Ras was unable to do anything to the puck carrier or the guy he passed to.  Come on NHL, be better.  It was a 2-0 game before this.  Not that it means anything to the final score, but it sure started a bunch of crap calls.

just as well I am only a fan because i am still so angry at the refs from the last game.

Johnny getting called for embellishment was freaking ludicrous

The 4 minute high sticking minor was another joke.

The uncalled xchecks all night.

The only things they got right all game were the waived off goalis for both sides.

No idea who they were but I hope that crew does not get another playoff game this year.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I rewatched the Keith goal during SN's coverage before the AVS game.  They didn't at all talk about McD having hold of Ras's stick.  Anyone watching that would think it was a legal play, because the ref ignored it.  It was so obvious that Ras was unable to do anything to the puck carrier or the guy he passed to.  Come on NHL, be better.  It was a 2-0 game before this.  Not that it means anything to the final score, but it sure started a bunch of crap calls.

Mc baby does this all the time, and its never called. The high stick was not high, Princess ran into it while Stones stick was being held. The cross check on Lindholm and cross check on Toffoli, all let go, I guess as long as its not Flames its fine. Look I get that this club has to play better, but the refs have had a significan impact especially in the last game. The last three goals were all missed assingments by the Flames, Hanifin let their D walk right in, Missed playon Anderson, and Zadrov sleeping those you have to own. The players are right they have yet to play their game, we start on time get a lead in both games and sit back and allow them back in. Just get the lead and than play your game dump and chase, there D are not that good. Keep the front of the net free and stay out of the scrums, Its hard but we have been goated into it multiple times. Tonights game with Reffing will be the tone, if the coilers try the after whistle Satoshi Nakamoto, its how the flames react and what the refs do that will set the tone. Let them take one, if they don't start with a precident early by taking one guy off,  than the game will get out of hand early.  The reffing is all one side in favour of Mc Baby, has been all year. 

It’s up to the flames to make sure the refs don’t have as much impact on the game. Take it to the Oilers, over and over and over and don’t let up. Be mindful of your sticks and play to reduce opportunities for the refs to make a borderline call. 

• Like 1

Dwyer and St. Laurent tonights refs.

Dwyer did the Pens game 7 and St. Laurent did our game 7.

Don't see our game 1 or 2 refs listed anywhere.

That happens.

As Sutter put it, you get the best refs as the number of teams gets cut in half.

Or at least that's what he said he expects.

May be readong too much into it, but they sometimes take a stance after poor showings.

O'Rourke has done the most games.

Anyway, enough about fing reffing.

Stay out of the box by using clean hits.

Don't give them the chance to make it 4v4.

Even a PP opens up ice for them if we make mistakes.

Sutter hates 4v4.  The box on the PK helps us, but opens up momentum coming out of it.

Stay within the play.  Okay to push and shove, but no punches after the whistle.

Take a punch, because they will call the 2nd one.

Just give a Satoshi Nakamoto-eating grin when they try to act tough.

23 minutes ago, rickross said:

Get ready for another tough game! Flames will need their best road game if the year tonight. Aggressive but disciplined hockey is what we need. 

This, and a full 60 minute effort. No shifts off! GFG!

4 hours ago, LouCifer said:

It’s up to the flames to make sure the refs don’t have as much impact on the game. Take it to the Oilers, over and over and over and don’t let up. Be mindful of your sticks and play to reduce opportunities for the refs to make a borderline call. 

i can agree, I’d have said something similar. The oilers were hacking, slashing and cross checking their way back into the series and it worked. Got the Flames thinking about them instead of on their own game. I agree with everyone here that if the Flames can play “their” game, they win most games. But it’s like I’ve been saying, they don’t always do that. If they play “the right way,” they’ll win. 

get in on smith, we let him see too many last game. We started playing warm up the goalie after it got to 3-1. Smith probably made a few nice saves, but stay out of the box and keep the flow going.