Playoffs GDT - Oilers @ FLAMES - Fri 20 May 2022

rocketdoctor

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This would not be promising for Tanev playing tonight. I've heard some rumors that he is unlikely to be back in this series. 

Yeah would not surpise me to see him miss a few more.

He did not look his usual reliable self in  games 4-6 in the Dallas series.

To be fair to Stone he has filled in pretty well and I have been impressed with his contributions.

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This would not be promising for Tanev playing tonight. I've heard some rumors that he is unlikely to be back in this series. 

As good as Stone has been as a fill-in, Tanev was the stabilizing force with Kylington.  I wouldn't say that they were bad, just that Stone is not quite as mobile, and he seemed to be thinking offense more.  Sutter may appreciate the offense, but he has Stone as a role player.  Hard to play against.  Check hard.  Take care of D-zone.   

6 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

b2afef579593db34f0fcd7a861a5a45b.png

Holy crapola.

I suspect that lasts just a couple of shifts.

Shore can be dangerous when they focus on McD, but he's less of a threat than Yammer; just a lot bigger.

Probably see him double shift with 4th line.

Assumin they aren't just using Shore as a placeholder for Drai taking the skate off.

It's not a huge advantage having Draisaitl out (and it may be a ploy), but only Drai was winning draws.

McD was only 33%.

Broberg is a placeholder for Barrie being under the weather.

13 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Tanev won't be back unless necessary.

He's not going to be necessary.

I love Tanev. I just think that if the D play the system (and possibly sometimes need more communication), they can go without. I think Tanev completes the Flames D, but I also think Sutter's system stabilizes. 

We look at Gudbranson, Stone and Zadorov. How good do they look when playing the system properly? With Gudbranson, he looks like the guy he was projected to be and yet never lived up to it. Stone has looked better than he has ever looked in a Flames uniform. Prior to Sutter, I didn't think he was an NHLer and he looks like a decent 5/6/7 option, and love his bomb on the PP. I expected a bit more out of Zadorov, but when he settles into the system he looks like what we expected. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Nothing here is frightening. They'll be fortunate to not get swept. Draisatl can play. It won't really matter. We're all over them up and down the lineups.

I love your optimism. :) I want a sweep too! I just think Edmonton gives us a bit more bite tonight. I want us to win this one and stick the dagger in their chances! It will be a tougher game tonight, but I think we win it either in OT or with an EN goal. Around 5-3.

We go to Edmonton, split one there, and then possibly close it out in Game 5. I think it goes 6 though. 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I love Tanev. I just think that if the D play the system (and possibly sometimes need more communication), they can go without. I think Tanev completes the Flames D, but I also think Sutter's system stabilizes. 

We look at Gudbranson, Stone and Zadorov. How good do they look when playing the system properly? With Gudbranson, he looks like the guy he was projected to be and yet never lived up to it. Stone has looked better than he has ever looked in a Flames uniform. Prior to Sutter, I didn't think he was an NHLer and he looks like a decent 5/6/7 option, and love his bomb on the PP. I expected a bit more out of Zadorov, but when he settles into the system he looks like what we expected. 

We always seemed to manage with Stone in.  

But Sutter also pointed to the D fitting into the structure of the system.  Communication.  Puck moving.  Playing as part of a 5 man unit.  He was asked about covering a player man on man.  Said you can't do that in the rules anymore.  Has to be the line out there.  

I wouldn't read too much into the lines and pairs.  Barrie a bit sick so game time decision at worst.

Broberg just covering the spot.

Same with Shore.

Not bothering to skate Draisaitl.

They might go 11-7 with Nurse being a bit of a risk, but the worse risk is Draisaitl perhaps.

10F doesn't project well if Draisaitl can't finish.

Who knows though.

I wouldn't want to be the coach to figure out a response to game 1.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I love your optimism. :) I want a sweep too! I just think Edmonton gives us a bit more bite tonight. I want us to win this one and stick the dagger in their chances! It will be a tougher game tonight, but I think we win it either in OT or with an EN goal. Around 5-3.

We go to Edmonton, split one there, and then possibly close it out in Game 5. I think it goes 6 though. 

You listen to too many analysts selling Christmas Cards in May.

Line for Line, D for D, G for G, Edmonton's neck is on the guillotine.

I can't fathom why this would be close without incredibly bad luck and of course officiating.

Just look at Dallas' D & G. Now look at Edmonton's.

I don't see anything close. Dallas would have tidied up Edmonton.

That was a great first rd match for us.

Now we're locked and loaded for anything.

Blockchain Hrudey. Middle-of-the-road used car salesman.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

I can't fathom why this would be close without incredibly bad luck and of course officiating.

I hope so. I just know the Flames tend to get a little ahead of themselves when things get easy. Not as often as other years, but it still happened a few times this year. I am counting at least one game like that for them. I might change to a 5 game series over 6... 

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

I hope so. I just know the Flames tend to get a little ahead of themselves when things get easy. Not as often as other years, but it still happened a few times this year. I am counting at least one game like that for them. I might change to a 5 game series over 6... 

"What is wrong with you people?" - Don Cherry, maybe.lol

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

That was easy?  I thought it was a test that we had to come back out and keep the tempo up.

The only thing easy was that EDM was a mess, brought on by the relentless attack.

I am just choosing to put previous season in the rear view.

This year was never about having an easy game and getting ahead of ourselves.

I would suggest that we played the season start to finish the same way.

Wasn't always the results we wanted, but 54 games scoring first really says something.

Being a road warrior and learning to turn the Dome into a den of horrors.

The schedule wasn't kind to us.  Plenty of reasons to mail it in.  We were never so full of ourselves to come out flat.

Just my opinion and I'm not picking on you.  Past is past.

Dallas may have done some things to change the course of the series, but we were not 100% in the right mind.

There was more reasons for fights in the BOA, but we never got sucked into it.

We played the game that Dallas wouldn't let us do for 7 games.

Go ahead, start something.  We are ready.

Not even a pushback when it was out of reach.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Can’t hate on the enthusiasm either, I still think this game is going to be a tough out. Both teams will be playing tight hockey tonight, a sweep would be great!…but realistically not likely. McDavid has already shown he can steal games. Going up 2-0 would just set this long weekend off right! Still not surprised if the Oilers do in fact steal one from us tho …they’ve already hit rock bottom so they’ll be desperate!