Playoffs GDT - Oilers @ FLAMES - Weds 18 May 2022

rocketdoctor

It’s no secret , tommorow will be a completely different game. Oilers will show up this time and the Flames will be ready. Think we see closer to a 3-2, 4-3 max kind of score tommorow. McDavid will be that constant X factor but he can be contained. I believe the Ducks did a good job of it back in 2017…Connor ain’t a God. He’s just a dude who lives in Edmonton. This might come down to which Markstrom we get…the Vezina version or the Mike Smith one?

2 hours ago, rickross said:

It’s no secret , tommorow will be a completely different game. Oilers will show up this time and the Flames will be ready. Think we see closer to a 3-2, 4-3 max kind of score tommorow. McDavid will be that constant X factor but he can be contained. I believe the Ducks did a good job of it back in 2017…Connor ain’t a God. He’s just a dude who lives in Edmonton. This might come down to which Markstrom we get…the Vezina version or the Mike Smith one?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I expect the exact same start from us.

We were unlucky to have hit a great goalie for Dallas, but it's what we do.

Start on time.  

I don't care what EDM does to change their game, but we punish them.

Same hits, same clogged middle.

If we learned anything from game 1, it's do what we do well.

Punish, hit, don't give free paths.

Then it's lock it down. 

After game 1 in Dallas we thought it would be a cakewalk. We nearly lost the series one of the main differences between both game 1’s is Dallas had a goalie who shut the door all but once. Yes they have better defensive structure, but we played really good in game 1 that series. 

they weren’t ready for game 1 and we know dallas looked a hell of a lot different in game 2. 

4 hours ago, rickross said:

Kassian…their toughest player…in the fetal position 😂 

one thing. Gotta respect how Lucic didn’t throw punches while he was down. Classy. 

u like when he fought Tkachuk while down he keeps throwing.

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

After game 1 in Dallas we thought it would be a cakewalk. We nearly lost the series one of the main differences between both game 1’s is Dallas had a goalie who shut the door all but once. Yes they have better defensive structure, but we played really good in game 1 that series. 

they weren’t ready for game 1 and we know dallas looked a hell of a lot different in game 2. 

I don't think a 1-0 win had anyone believing a cakewalk.  We came out strong but really only put 26 shots on net.  Dallas started stronger in game 2, but it was one deflected goal that made the difference.  Goalie battles at both ends.  Not exactly a lot of difference between the two.  Against the Oils, we came out strong and dominated play on both end of the ice, as well as the PP and PK.

It's the playoffs and anything can happen.  Whether Smith rebounds or not, the Oils have a lot more holes to patch.  We tend to come out of poor defensive games (goalie, etc.) with a much more determined defensive game, while still putting up shots and chances.      

I think robrob has a good point though, the Flames did not follow up a good game 1 with a good game 2 against Dallas. Game 2 was, IMO, the worst game of the series for Calgary and while Dallas made a few adjustments I thought the story was what Calgary didn't do. Not wroth rehashing the game but for me it was a key reason why the series went 7 games. Game 2 was rigth there from the taking the entire game and the Flames just didn't take the opportunity. 

So I think it's a fair question, did they learn from it and can they take that opportunity tonight? You know your going to a hostile environment in games 3/4 and highly likely the Oilers are going get at least 1 win on home ice so take advantage tonight and put the pressure on them. 

I am optimistic though because while Game 1 against Dallas was well played defensively they weren't quite there offensively. I think they've found that game since, more guys are feeling good and playing well so it sets up well to have a good game 2 this go around. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This play was hilarious and such a microcosm of the game itself. Edmonton attempting to flex their muscles in any way and Flames just being "no, you sit down". 

I read that some say Lucic is going to be able to do whatever he wants and there is nobody that can do anything about it.  Maybe that's 100% true, but Lucic had maybe one good hit all night.  The other guys stepped up for us and did as much.  Again, no response.  And I suspect that EDM doesn't want to go there, since it takes away from the offense.  Pushback yes, but I don't think they want to get into a battle.  

I keep hearing about how EDM hung 6 on our starter or that they scored 6 at evens.  Coach.  Players.  Gregor said the following, which I thought was more to the point:  "The six goals Edmonton scored shouldn’t be seen as anything more than an odd distraction.".       

Will be interesting to see if this approach changes from Sutter in game 2 after his McDavid comments. I'm still of the belief that the 4 pts had a lot more to do with Markstrom than anything else but the 4th line got killed by the McDavid line so have to imagine that may change. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think a 1-0 win had anyone believing a cakewalk.  We came out strong but really only put 26 shots on net.  Dallas started stronger in game 2, but it was one deflected goal that made the difference.  Goalie battles at both ends.  Not exactly a lot of difference between the two.  Against the Oils, we came out strong and dominated play on both end of the ice, as well as the PP and PK.

It's the playoffs and anything can happen.  Whether Smith rebounds or not, the Oils have a lot more holes to patch.  We tend to come out of poor defensive games (goalie, etc.) with a much more determined defensive game, while still putting up shots and chances.      

i Also hope they learned from the Oilers comeback. If they take the foot off the gas they can score really quickly. Tkachuk said he wasn’t happy with the performance afterwards. And I i think you’re right, if they can tighten up they’ll be fine. 

i loved their PK. While it is great, we can’t give them 4 PPs in a game as they can score on them. But I like how they played it, and I think those PKs allowed the flames to have to get back to their structure. It was like a reset. They did great at responding. Great to see they were ready. 

also, Edmonton sat an extra day, so I assume they will have their legs moving more tonight. 

problem for them is, it kind of looks like more than Draisaitl is labouring an injury 

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Will be interesting to see if this approach changes from Sutter in game 2 after his McDavid comments. I'm still of the belief that the 4 pts had a lot more to do with Markstrom than anything else but the 4th line got killed by the McDavid line so have to imagine that may change. 

i agree. Markstrom let in about 3 stinkers, maybe even 4. While the Flames had a few defensive breakdowns, the stinkers were routine saves for him and most goalies. If Smith and Kos had played fully we would still have won, but i think that it might have been a 4 or 5 to 2 win instead of 9-6. 

I wonder how much the bad goals they let in resulted in them having to open up? I don’t think very much. I just don’t think Edmonton had their legs. My bet is a tight close game and them actually skating. It is probably tough to see exactly what they are because they didn’t skate at all last game…. We probably get a better sense how this series is going to unfold after tonight’s game. I think it is hard to read it at the moment. 

but I’m always cautiously optimistic… We win the series in 6. I can’t see the oilers not going down without a fight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i agree. Markstrom let in about 3 stinkers, maybe even 4. While the Flames had a few defensive breakdowns, the stinkers were routine saves for him and most goalies. If Smith and Kos had played fully we would still have won, but i think that it might have been a 4 or 5 to 2 win instead of 9-6. 

I wonder how much the bad goals they let in resulted in them having to open up? I don’t think very much. I just don’t think Edmonton had their legs. My bet is a tight close game and them actually skating. It is probably tough to see exactly what they are because they didn’t skate at all last game…. We probably get a better sense how this series is going to unfold after tonight’s game. I think it is hard to read it at the moment. 

but I’m always cautiously optimistic… We win the series in 6. I can’t see the oilers not going down without a fight.

I think if the Flames win tonight the series goes to 5 games. But agree Rob tonight's game will determine the series.

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i Also hope they learned from the Oilers comeback. If they take the foot off the gas they can score really quickly. Tkachuk said he wasn’t happy with the performance afterwards. And I i think you’re right, if they can tighten up they’ll be fine. 

i loved their PK. While it is great, we can’t give them 4 PPs in a game as they can score on them. But I like how they played it, and I think those PKs allowed the flames to have to get back to their structure. It was like a reset. They did great at responding. Great to see they were ready. 

also, Edmonton sat an extra day, so I assume they will have their legs moving more tonight. 

problem for them is, it kind of looks like more than Draisaitl is labouring an injury 

EDM took Wednesday off, so they should be fully rested.  LOL.

I think EDM is focused more on the 6 they scored than we are.  I don't think it's cause for concern for us, no should EDM think it's a product of their good play.  McD already got his easy calls, so I think the refs are a bit more stingy.  I would say that we got away with less than the Oilers did.  Just what I saw.  It wasn't an overly dirty game.  Big hits were clean hits.  Not a lot of after whistle stuff.  But then again, Smitty was out of the game.  He tends to escalate stuff out there. 

I do expect a strong start from the Flames.  Heavy forecheck.  First to the puck.  Better structure.  Dictate the play.  Can't sit back and let them get moving.  They will be trying.  And McD will no doubt be out for 25 minutes again.  Draisaitl may be a bit hobbled.  No PK for him.  But we never really checked him hard.  Nurse must be a big concern for them.  Played a lot less than usual.  Almost expect 7D tonight, but that is next to impossible with Draisaitl banged up.    

2 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

I think if the Flames win tonight the series goes to 5 games. But agree Rob tonight's game will determine the series.

ya, I just think it will show how it plays out. Usually the first game is a feeler game. But this year has been weird and it felt like the oilers didn’t want to be there. But I expect it to maybe go to OT tonight. 

i just hope we keep our legs moving. And maybe the scoring will help that. We are a good team when the legs are moving. 

Just now, travel_dude said:

EDM took Wednesday off, so they should be fully rested.  LOL.

I think EDM is focused more on the 6 they scored than we are.  I don't think it's cause for concern for us, no should EDM think it's a product of their good play.  McD already got his easy calls, so I think the refs are a bit more stingy.  I would say that we got away with less than the Oilers did.  Just what I saw.  It wasn't an overly dirty game.  Big hits were clean hits.  Not a lot of after whistle stuff.  But then again, Smitty was out of the game.  He tends to escalate stuff out there. 

I do expect a strong start from the Flames.  Heavy forecheck.  First to the puck.  Better structure.  Dictate the play.  Can't sit back and let them get moving.  They will be trying.  And McD will no doubt be out for 25 minutes again.  Draisaitl may be a bit hobbled.  No PK for him.  But we never really checked him hard.  Nurse must be a big concern for them.  Played a lot less than usual.  Almost expect 7D tonight, but that is next to impossible with Draisaitl banged up.    

i agree. It’s going to be a really good game. I think tonight is going to be the real the battle of Alberta. Buckle up! It’s about to get good! 

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i agree. It’s going to be a really good game. I think tonight is going to be the real the battle of Alberta. Buckle up! It’s about to get good! 

Friday night, long weekend. 8:30 start, plenty of time for the fans to be “hydrated”.

Should be great! Although I expect more Oiler fans in the building than Wednesday 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yeah, the 4th line caught out there for two goals.  One a result of getting hemmed in.  Might have been after an icing, not sure.  Preventable, but it was the one goal that I thought was going in regardless of Marky's play.  McD went 5 hole, but could have roofed it. 

I think he still rolls 4, but maybe recognizes the way the Oilers roll their lines.  Power vs power seemed to work.  Backlund shutting McD down seemed to work.  He's going to be out there every 2nd shift.  Use Lucic against bottom 6 as much as possible.