Playoffs GDT FLAMES @ Stars - Game 6 - Friday 13 May 2022

rocketdoctor

Sutter gold, not so much.  A little less patient with the media.

"Hell of a game. Hostile environment"

"Couldn't get the equalizer."

"Marky was okay. He's been better than okay."

"How's Tanev" Answer "He went down in th 2nd and didn't play after that".

"Guys still learning how to win the 4th game".

Ha! Man, this is not too far off of the last time We played Dal in the playoffs…Hopefully Sutter has theses guys heads on straight for Sunday.

Face Offs seem to be a huge issue for

this team…ever since we lost Monahan, the team chemistry has been a bit hot and cold. I have been thinking this before the playoffs since Monahan’s season ended, but it’s really becoming evident now in the post season, we need better face off guys consistently.

oh and where is Toffoil? Is he playing? He’s been a ghost this series. 

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

oh and where is Toffoil? Is he playing? He’s been a ghost this series. 

Toffoli has been missing for a dozen games before the playoffs even began.

He often looks tired and out of gas.  His below average skating is taxing on his stamina.  We've also seen him make some poor decisions and bad passes for a veteran and maybe it's due to fatigue.  To be honest, we are seeing shades of James Neal here.

Continue to be surprised at how the flames just don’t seem capable of complete and 60 min efforts in this series. They can have good periods and some pretty bad ones and the lack of consistency in the playoffs is frustrating.

Going to need that full effort in game 7. 

They sure make goalies look good. Look I am greatful they have made it here and from cussing and swearing the last couple of games its been great we are even in the playoffs. There are a couple things that really stand out in this series. 

How many times has JG looked bemildered by the stupid plays by Hanifin and Kylington in the O zone with bone head plays? If its not Hanifin its Kylington. As much as Kylington had his best year, he may skate well but thats where it ends. He has minimal hockey IQ, similar to Hanifin. It appears it comes in stints with both of them.  This is one of the weakest spots on this club as I see it right now. 

Chucky, Jarkrow, Toffoli have been beyond horrible. If its not blind passes and give aways its missed assignments. THe go ahead goal was 100% Matthew with the blow by. Toffoli looks so out of wind and shape it is like watching the James Neal saga once again. 

Tanev with a cross check to the back of the neck maybe done for this series and if we get fortunate the next, this is a huge blow. When Stone is your best call up we are fked. He has struggled at times with this series, give aways bad passes terrible reads. 

Markstrom has been solid, as has JG. Say what you want about JG I take hime right now over Chucky if the decison was to be made based on this playoff series. Dube has some promise, and Mags has strugguled once again as Sutter eluded to them small guys we will see how they make out in a tight series. We can't get to the front of the net, the only ones who can are past their skill set to do so. Our chances come of the rush, out side of a power play we have had minimal chances with layers in front of the net. Our wee forwards get boxed out every time there only cahnce to score comes off the rush or like Coleman drives the net and takes 2 guys with him.

I would love the Flames to win game 7 but really its a crap shoot. We have dominated a few periods here and there, get tons of shots from the outside and make their goalie look like a rock star. We played well the first game outside of that its been short bursts here and there. Let the chips fall where they may, but from this series one can certainly gauge the areas of concern see the path that is required moving forward. 

• Like 1

Well I'm gonna take the positive route on this ..

This was by far our worst game of the series 

Too wide open from the start, missed assignments galore, hung out goalie out to dry way too much.. the list goes on..

But . What have we done without fail all year, after a stinker ?

We crush the next game 😎👍

My Initial concerns would be the possibility of doing it without both Tanev and Zadorov.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

They sure make goalies look good. Look I am greatful they have made it here and from cussing and swearing the last couple of games its been great we are even in the playoffs. There are a couple things that really stand out in this series. 

How many times has JG looked bemildered by the stupid plays by Hanifin and Kylington in the O zone with bone head plays? If its not Hanifin its Kylington. As much as Kylington had his best year, he may skate well but thats where it ends. He has minimal hockey IQ, similar to Hanifin. It appears it comes in stints with both of them.  This is one of the weakest spots on this club as I see it right now. 

Chucky, Jarkrow, Toffoli have been beyond horrible. If its not blind passes and give aways its missed assignments. THe go ahead goal was 100% Matthew with the blow by. Toffoli looks so out of wind and shape it is like watching the James Neal saga once again. 

Tanev with a cross check to the back of the neck maybe done for this series and if we get fortunate the next, this is a huge blow. When Stone is your best call up we are fked. He has struggled at times with this series, give aways bad passes terrible reads. 

Markstrom has been solid, as has JG. Say what you want about JG I take hime right now over Chucky if the decison was to be made based on this playoff series. Dube has some promise, and Mags has strugguled once again as Sutter eluded to them small guys we will see how they make out in a tight series. We can't get to the front of the net, the only ones who can are past their skill set to do so. Our chances come of the rush, out side of a power play we have had minimal chances with layers in front of the net. Our wee forwards get boxed out every time there only cahnce to score comes off the rush or like Coleman drives the net and takes 2 guys with him.

I would love the Flames to win game 7 but really its a crap shoot. We have dominated a few periods here and there, get tons of shots from the outside and make their goalie look like a rock star. We played well the first game outside of that its been short bursts here and there. Let the chips fall where they may, but from this series one can certainly gauge the areas of concern see the path that is required moving forward. 

Pretty much.  I would trade our whole blueline for Heiskanen without a second thought.  Hanifin is being asked to play above his talents.  He should just be a second pair guy and we need to find a #1 LD this summer.  Kylington hasn't looked right since Tanev apparently got injured in Game 1.  And now we may see Kylington-Stone combo for game 7.  Zadorov is the only D who is having success carrying the puck into the offensive zone but he doesn't have enough vision to be creative after he gains the zone.

I wish we went all in for Chychrun but we wouldn't pay the price.  If this team had Giordano in his prime, then we have a legit chance to win it all.  Right now, it's not looking good with our best D likely injured and can't play in game 7.

Ya man, Toffoli is trending James Neal.  He has no endurance for some reason.  Can't handle more than 30 second shifts.

Tkachuk, too much wasted energy on Raffl and Benn.  He needs to focus on scoring.  He's dragging down the top line. Thankfully Sutter realizes this and is mixing it up the lines.

Dube and Coleman are willing to drive the net consistently but they are all alone when they do and no backup to pick up the garbage.

I'm okay with Jarnkrok defensively speaking but will he ever score?  23-games as a Flames and zero goals.  The chances are there too.  Find some finish.

And yet, we were tied 2-2 in the second period.  The chances were there but we couldn't bury them.

Game 7 will be fun.  Either way, win and we get to see more.  Lose and we get to see some changes this summer.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Pretty much.  I would trade our whole blueline for Heiskanen without a second thought.  Hanifin is being asked to play above his talents.  He should just be a second pair guy and we need to find a #1 LD this summer.  Kylington hasn't looked right since Tanev apparently got injured in Game 1.  And now we may see Kylington-Stone combo for game 7.  Zadorov is the only D who is having success carrying the puck into the offensive zone but he doesn't have enough vision to be creative after he gains the zone.

I wish we went all in for Chychrun but we wouldn't pay the price.  If this team had Giordano in his prime, then we have a legit chance to win it all.  Right now, it's not looking good with our best D likely injured and can't play in game 7.

Ya man, Toffoli is trending James Neal.  He has no endurance for some reason.  Can't handle more than 30 second shifts.

Tkachuk, too much wasted energy on Raffl and Benn.  He needs to focus on scoring.  He's dragging down the top line. Thankfully Sutter realizes this and is mixing it up the lines.

Dube and Coleman are willing to drive the net consistently but they are all alone when they do and no backup to pick up the garbage.

I'm okay with Jarnkrok defensively speaking but will he ever score?  23-games as a Flames and zero goals.  The chances are there too.  Find some finish.

And yet, we were tied 2-2 in the second period.  The chances were there but we couldn't bury them.

Game 7 will be fun.  Either way, win and we get to see more.  Lose and we get to see some changes this summer.

I agree we need a top dman, but Gio is his prime was not it either. I do not mind Heiskanen, but outside if last night hasn't impressed me much, actually none of their Dman has stood out. IMHO think more like if we had Fox, a good PP QB that can move the puck has vision and is part of the second wave on D. Dman like Makar are rare but along those lines. We don't really ahve a threat on the back end that other teams may fear. Really our best threat from D has been Stone, Slap shot joined the rush and scored...... That stated we have only one style of offensive threat, forwards. 

Dallas is there for the taking, but these guys have to man up and step up. Dallas send two in on every puck, when we adjust its a odd man rush. What drives me nuts is instead of straight line to the net for a rebound we slow the play down and try to pass it in the net. Every time we have an odd man rush, out side of JG leading it, the fowards slow down and allow the Dman and oppositon fowards to get back in place. The last minute of the game where Looch crashed the crrease is whats missing. This club has the record for hit the crest on a shot or miss the net. Throw it at the net this kid give Satoshi Nakamoto tons of rebounds and drive the net, make contact if you have to. Its been to soft this way and thats how they will win. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Toffoli has been missing for a dozen games before the playoffs even began.

He often looks tired and out of gas.  His below average skating is taxing on his stamina.  We've also seen him make some poor decisions and bad passes for a veteran and maybe it's due to fatigue.  To be honest, we are seeing shades of James Neal here.

Good points…I agree but I don’t think the issue is a James Neil thing…

I do agree he’s not the answer for 2nd line RW for the same reasons you mentioned below average skating taxing the stamina… but he’s a great fit for 3rd RW…this could be why he had so much success early one with Monahan both below average skaters, so they don’t tire each other out trying to keep up? 

23 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I've been ok with Toffoli..he's generating good chances the goalie just has his number ..of those extra 10 goals we should have scored according to advance stats pretty sure about 7 are his 

I'm confident we will pull this off tonight..just like we did in 89 and 04 .. 

If we don't ..this year to me is different .. there is no blowup. Were not pointing any fingers at top stars.. cap will dictate any changes obviously but if we do lose ..we just got beat by a system designed to shut us down and the stars are executing it perfectly..

But at home with last change .. Sutter will adjust .. the stars will be distracted by Zadorov.. Markstrom will be lights out again ..   we got this 

On 5/14/2022 at 8:20 AM, The_People1 said:

i agree on Toffoli. He irks me. He does what Hanifin and Kylington does a lot. He wil wait long enough for D and Goalie to adjust and take a shot that has no chance to score or go rebound. And even if he did there is no chance at a rebound because no one is there.

i want him on PP2. When the puck goes to his side on PP1 the flow they created dies. They lose the puck and have to retrieve it and start over. Too impatient. 

I am actually worried about this game. I will take the cautious approach. If they can’t score first then it’s going to be tough to get on them. I’m also beginning to think going 7 D was better for the D but it has also slowed the top line down. Backlund has looked like the best player in the last two. We are hopped if that is the case again tonight. 

we need everyone to step up. In this series I think I’ve seen only one goal where Oettinger had to go left to right and that was last game. He isn’t having to get tired by moving around. Do shot volume tire him out if he’s already in a stable position to make the save? We need to get him moving or get traffic in to make it hard to see the puck. 

7 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I've been ok with Toffoli..he's generating good chances the goalie just has his number ..of those extra 10 goals we should have scored according to advance stats pretty sure about 7 are his 

Agreed he should've had at least 2 or 3 goals this series but got robbed... but something about his decision making.  If he's not shooting and scoring then he's kind of a liability on the ice.

5 hours ago, robrob74 said:

i agree on Toffoli. He irks me. He does what Hanifin and Kylington does a lot. He wil wait long enough for D and Goalie to adjust and take a shot that has no chance to score or go rebound. And even if he did there is no chance at a rebound because no one is there.

i want him on PP2. When the puck goes to his side on PP1 the flow they created dies. They lose the puck and have to retrieve it and start over. Too impatient. 

I am actually worried about this game. I will take the cautious approach. If they can’t score first then it’s going to be tough to get on them. I’m also beginning to think going 7 D was better for the D but it has also slowed the top line down. Backlund has looked like the best player in the last two. We are hopped if that is the case again tonight. 

we need everyone to step up. In this series I think I’ve seen only one goal where Oettinger had to go left to right and that was last game. He isn’t having to get tired by moving around. Do shot volume tire him out if he’s already in a stable position to make the save? We need to get him moving or get traffic in to make it hard to see the puck. 

Ya something about Toffoli just doesn't work for this team.  He was the wrong TDL target.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya something about Toffoli just doesn't work for this team.  He was the wrong TDL target.

I’m gonna agree and disagree, lol. Currently Toff doesn’t seem like a fit, but I think it has more to do with his line mates. Toff has and always will be a shooter and for the most part a perimeter shooter who relies on other guys to find him the puck in good spots. He gets to those spots, but Mang and Backs are not the guys to get him the puck there, that’s not there game. To me Mang is a play driver in the sense he puts his head down and goes where he needs to. Backs is a possession king, but usually holds on to it for too long to be effective. 
Next year if Pelletier is ready to make the jump (I hope he is), as more of a pure play maker would in my mind make a great line with himself, Ruzie, and Toff.