2022 Calgary Flames Playoff Thread

The_People1

37 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Hmm woodcoop needs some more time looking at the flames he thinks there alot like the kings

I thought the exact same thing.

I'm not sure how he drew that conclusion.

Other than they were once coached by Sutter.

Possession?  Okay, so we play that way.

So does 50% of the teams or at least they try.

Low scoring?  Maybe, but we had more goals than the Oilers in the season.

Stay out of the box. Will be key to beating the Oilers. Make no mistake this is an improved Oilers team, they have better depth and they are finally playing with structure. Lately they’ve been more defensively sound than they get credit for. Obviously containing McD and Draisatl will be key…however guys like Kane, Nugent Hopkins, Hyman and PoolParty can still be productive. This will be a close series, ironically Sutter knows that as he’s stated he views the Oilers as a top team in the West. This could go to 7 games. Flames absolutely need to get their PP in order and need to win their home games. 

Calgary Rick is deeper then the oil yes oil are deep but not as deep as calgary they only thing that makes them deep is if the split Drai and dcdavid otherwise there depth goes down big time and alot of times when that team is losing any coach quickly puts those 2 back together were Sutter can mix and match very very different match ups

Oilers fans are ranting and raving about this upcoming BoA but they’re nervous about facing the Flames. They know a physical series could wear out the less equipped Oilers squad and are afraid the Flames will simply bully them this series. This is the trap though! Oilers will try and play their own speed and skill game with their improved checking. They know playing  that physical Flames game won’t win them this series. Flames will need to be ready as the Oilers have proven to be able to suffocate teams when they play their game. Calgary needs to be ready for their up tempo and increased physical style of play, we cannot take this team lightly.With emotions sure to be high, a parade to the box and it’s game over for Calgary. Flames will need to play fast , smart and hard to win this series. 

16 minutes ago, The_Snowbear said:

Calgary Rick is deeper then the oil yes oil are deep but not as deep as calgary they only thing that makes them deep is if the split Drai and dcdavid otherwise there depth goes down big time and alot of times when that team is losing any coach quickly puts those 2 back together were Sutter can mix and match very very different match ups

This is what I’m saying Calgary needs to weary of…is thinking they’ve already outmatched, outsized and out coached the Oilers. I agree with you in that Calgary does have greater positional depth , especially in net. However , these Oilers can be stingy. They’ve greatly improved on limiting shots and chances, and players are better slotted in their roles now. Not too mention McD can take over a game at any time. It’s going to be a tall task for the Flames! I just want them to be prepared!…Oilers have already proven they can score a lot of goals even during the playoffs. 

Need to stay out of the box and attack the puck before it gets to McDavid in windup mode. Satoshi Nakamoto him down before he gets to the neutral zone. 

if we don’t get penalized they have less chance to score, as we are a 5v5 team. Make them play our game! That is even strengthened hockey 

On 5/11/2022 at 10:33 PM, travel_dude said:

Sounds like at least a 4 hour drive, maybe longer.

I think they are still tweaking the #REDLOT experience.

Here's a link to the info page:

https://www.nhl.com/flames/fans/fireitup?utm_source=Calgary+Flames+Insider&utm_campaign=bd1eb7cf97-INSIDER&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c4f6a3bb69-bd1eb7cf97-207017061&mc_cid=bd1eb7cf97&mc_eid=063148adda

I visited this link and it says 2 tickets per person but I have five family member in the household.  2 adults and 3 kids under 18. Is the tickets only issued to adults or can we get ones under kids name as well?  just wondering because if it was only over 18 can get tickets it would mean we would be short one ticket..  Cannot really see any info on this.

I see we get Cuthbert for the next round.

Real shame as Rick Ball imho is one of the best play by play guys out there.    Does that also mean we get oil lover DeBrusk?

I know some do not like Millen but I thought he was very fair during round 1 and I prefer his steadier tone that Hrudeys friends at the game approach.

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

I see we get Cuthbert for the next round.

Real shame as Rick Ball imho is one of the best play by play guys out there.    Does that also mean we get oil lover DeBrusk?

I know some do not like Millen but I thought he was very fair during round 1 and I prefer his steadier tone that Hrudeys friends at the game approach.

It’s Cuthbert and former Oil Craig Simpson.

I didn’t mind Hrudey when he started in the booth, close to a decade ago. Now it’s like he’s afraid of being critical. Just call it like it is.

38 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I didn’t mind Hrudey when he started in the booth, close to a decade ago. Now it’s like he’s afraid of being critical. Just call it like it is.

Simpson is not too bad I guess.

41 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

1 minute ago, rocketdoctor said:

Simpson is not too bad I guess.

I guess it's probably the best we can get for a pair.

Simpson has a good eye, but he's so used to doing Leafs games.

Won't be surprised when he starts talking about Matthews and Marner.

Cuthbert gets a little wound up.

A bit like Jack Edwards, who thankfully had zero games in the post season.

He's annoying with his catch phrases.

Yes, we saw that.

What else would we be doing with the tv one?

8 hours ago, rickross said:

This is what I’m saying Calgary needs to weary of…is thinking they’ve already outmatched, outsized and out coached the Oilers. I agree with you in that Calgary does have greater positional depth , especially in net. However , these Oilers can be stingy. They’ve greatly improved on limiting shots and chances, and players are better slotted in their roles now. Not too mention McD can take over a game at any time. It’s going to be a tall task for the Flames! I just want them to be prepared!…Oilers have already proven they can score a lot of goals even during the playoffs. 

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Need to stay out of the box and attack the puck before it gets to McDavid in windup mode. Satoshi Nakamoto him down before he gets to the neutral zone. 

if we don’t get penalized they have less chance to score, as we are a 5v5 team. Make them play our game! That is even strengthened hockey 

I think the fans are the only ones that truly believe this.  The Flames just go to work again.  The Oilers are the ones that have to prove something.  They want to be stupid like NAS was against us and try to run us out.  We just look for the hits and get them thinking.  And get a little hot and retaliate.  Tkachuk is the manipulator, so he will live rent free for two weeks or less.  They will be expecting Guddy and Looch to be the hitters.  But Backlund and Dube time hits really well.  Zaddy catches players watching the play.  And Tkachuk will be in Smith's grill for a week.

I'm not really sure what to expect from the refs.  They tend to let them play in the 2nd round.  The first round is to give a chance to skill players by rewarding them with calls.  Maybe a bit less of the 4v4 calls coming.  

Key to this series is getting the Oilers doubting.  Blowouts don't work, since they adjust and put everything in one basket.  That makes them tougher to play.  Win the games by one goal and they play the same way.  

11 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Hmm woodcoop needs some more time looking at the flames he thinks there alot like the kings

Well he's right. Specifically, similar o zone play, similar backcheck/regroup in the neutral zone, and similar in hat they both like to bring dmen into the rush. LA isn't a bad team IMO and they were well coached this year. They do a really nice job in the neutral zone and prioritize a high forward back in the neutral zone so they don't give up odd man rushes. Both teams are going to make it hard on you to get a rush offence going. 

Flames are the more talented team so they execute it at a higher level and the biggest separate IMO is the Flames forecheck. Very few teams can forecheck at will like the Flames can.

I agree with Woodcroft, there are similarities but there are also some key differences. 

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Well he's right. Specifically, similar o zone play, similar backcheck/regroup in the neutral zone, and similar in hat they both like to bring dmen into the rush. LA isn't a bad team IMO and they were well coached this year. They do a really nice job in the neutral zone and prioritize a high forward back in the neutral zone so they don't give up odd man rushes. Both teams are going to make it hard on you to get a rush offence going. 

Flames are the more talented team so they execute it at a higher level and the biggest separate IMO is the Flames forecheck. Very few teams can forecheck at will like the Flames can.

I agree with Woodcroft, there are similarities but there are also some key differences. 

If he only focuses on that (which I doubt he would), he would miss a lot of subtle stuff.  For one thing, we are not just plan A.  We have plan B and C.  Sutter may be stubborn, but he also sees who's going out there.  And he adjusts to the game on the ice.  While the games were close, we smothered DAL with offence.  And I think that is key to shutting down the Oilers.  Keep McD defending for shifts.  Frustrate Kane with a bunch of little hits.  Target the D in their zone so they can't make simple plays.  

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Zero.  The recovery time push him closer to TC than anything else.

That's too bad, hopefully Tanev gets back in soon.  If the Flames play with the same intensity they did with Dallas, this will be a short series IMO, maybe a sweep.  No way Smith can handle what Oettinger did.

22 minutes ago, taz89 said:

That's too bad, hopefully Tanev gets back in soon.  If the Flames play with the same intensity they did with Dallas, this will be a short series IMO, maybe a sweep.  No way Smith can handle what Oettinger did.

He was at practice today, playing with Kyler.

Mackey-Stone a 4th pairing.

Ruzie-Carpenter extras.

I don't think Sutter mentions anything about lines and pairs until puck drop.

Would make sense for his to go with Stone as in 11-7.

Ease Tanev back in and not kill him with minutes.

And that allow us to roll 4 lines without fear.

Toffoli or Jarnkrok as the extra on the 4th line.

Gaudreauu slots in to 3rd line depending on the way the lines run.

Toffee and Jarny are pretty safe players to put out there with Lucic.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Kings and Flames are comparable and both play an aggressive forecheck/backcheck game.

Quick, in top form, is comparable to Markstrom.

Kopitar + Danault is comparable to Lindholm + Backlund

Brown, Iafallo, Kempe, Moore is very comparable to the Flames middle 6.

Where the Flames shine is the #1 line.  Flames 4th line also has utility.  Flames D is overall better.

The Oilers should be ready for us.  It will be fun.

49 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He was at practice today, playing with Kyler.

Mackey-Stone a 4th pairing.

Ruzie-Carpenter extras.

I don't think Sutter mentions anything about lines and pairs until puck drop.

Would make sense for his to go with Stone as in 11-7.

Ease Tanev back in and not kill him with minutes.

And that allow us to roll 4 lines without fear.

Toffoli or Jarnkrok as the extra on the 4th line.

Gaudreauu slots in to 3rd line depending on the way the lines run.

Toffee and Jarny are pretty safe players to put out there with Lucic.

Tanev hasn't looked good even when playing so I'm inclined to give him another week to rest.