FLAMES @ Panthers Tues 4 Jan 2022

rocketdoctor

One of the worst defensive games by the Flames in some time.  First two goals were somewhat forgiveable, since they went off Flames.  That's abot the only nice thing I can say.  I don't know that Richie is an improvement to Ruzie, since he hasn't played in ages.  I know FLA is a good team, but we looked bad.  Markstrom gave up what looked like a couple easy saves.  Not that he is at fault, but where was the key save here and there.  

Back to the drawing board.  Sutter has some work to do.

Was lookong forward to this one as I really is a gauge of how we stand up against top teams. Now is this a learning situation for this club yes. Once again what shows its ugly head, this club can not compete against high pressure teams plus when this club backs off at the blue line we lose, everytime. This game had some momentum of intimidation early in the 1st, and once agian let the oppurtunity get wasted. Coleman looked engaged best of the year I thought, JG was Johnny, Lindholm looked out of place, and Backlund, mags, Dube, Monahan, Lucic may as well not even of dressed tonight.  The cherry on top is Markstrom was dog Satoshi Nakamoto.  On to Tampa, I would hope for a better outcome but belvie we are in for another Hash Rate kicking. 

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think FLA is going to win the Cup this year

FLA is the Oilers of last year.  Will look good until the playoffs then lose out in round 1.

They are riding the winning streak of Bob right now, even tough he looks like crap at times.

This will end up being a year like STL's cup year, where you don't know until playoffs.

12 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I have a feeling Markstrom’s GAA and Save% is going to start to take a hit.

Sutter's after game presser very revealing what he thinks of our D!!

Was an exciting game and I trust the team will learn from it but sure glad they are not in our division.

Go Flames Go!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Was lookong forward to this one as I really is a gauge of how we stand up against top teams. Now is this a learning situation for this club yes. Once again what shows its ugly head, this club can not compete against high pressure teams plus when this club backs off at the blue line we lose, everytime. This game had some momentum of intimidation early in the 1st, and once agian let the oppurtunity get wasted. Coleman looked engaged best of the year I thought, JG was Johnny, Lindholm looked out of place, and Backlund, mags, Dube, Monahan, Lucic may as well not even of dressed tonight.  The cherry on top is Markstrom was dog Satoshi Nakamoto.  On to Tampa, I would hope for a better outcome but belvie we are in for another Hash Rate kicking. 

The game had marginal calls to gift FLA with chances.  Saw at least one Flames player held and hooked way more than the first call.  They evened it up in callls and actually gave us more.  Blatant penalties though.  

Look, I'm not blaming refs at all.  We looked bad on the PP and watching Hanifin waste 48 seconds of a PP is like watching a car crash in slow motion.  He just has no sense at all.  Was on for 3 goals against.  Took the opening call for hooking that set up the first goal.

We lost the game because we didn't play defense.  We lined up a lot, but didn't manage to stop them once they got in the zone.  Puck watching.  Poor clearing.  No easy outs.  It was a poorly played 2nd that cost us the game.

It seems as though a couple of old ghosts reared their ugly heads this game. Watching from  the Florida feed even the color guys were saying how good the Flames were at getting on the Cats D right away and how hard it was to get a proper zone entry.  That seemed to slowly disappear as the game went on and disjointed scrambly Flames from the last few seasons re appeared once they were behind by 2.  Last night was a learning game, tomorrow will be a telling game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

FLA is the Oilers of last year.  Will look good until the playoffs then lose out in round 1.

They are riding the winning streak of Bob right now, even tough he looks like crap at times.

This will end up being a year like STL's cup year, where you don't know until playoffs.

Tell me you're joking. We didn't lose to FLA, they beat us. We shouldn't feel bad, they throw everyone onto the trash heap. They are clearly a favourite to win the Cup.

Peeps has it right, you drift once against the Cats they're in your end. The only person in their way last year was Vasilevsky. They are a full-on assault team, up 4-0 or down 4-0, it doesn't matter, they have speed up and down the roster and they'll get behind you all game long. They are very clearly not the Oilers.

I didn't have a good feeling about this one, even without their 2C and 2RW. You should watch them more perhaps. This is every team they play, very hard to move the puck because they squeeze out every lane you try.

They never stop pushing the puck north all game, every line. They are a great team to watch, just not against your team.

• Like 1

I will take the blame.  I wasn't able to watch normally and post my support on the thread.

Had to watch a stream and cast it onto the tv.

Good stream, even though it was just the Flames broadcast.

UNlike the usual streams where you only get the live game part and no intermission coverage.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

It seems as though a couple of old ghosts reared their ugly heads this game. Watching from  the Florida feed even the color guys were saying how good the Flames were at getting on the Cats D right away and how hard it was to get a proper zone entry.  That seemed to slowly disappear as the game went on and disjointed scrambly Flames from the last few seasons re appeared once they were behind by 2.  Last night was a learning game, tomorrow will be a telling game.

Did you mind-meld with Jeff Chychrun during intermissions to get him to tell his son to inquire about Calgary like I was doing?lol

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Tell me you're joking. We didn't lose to FLA, they beat us. We shouldn't feel bad, they throw everyone onto the trash heap. They are clearly a favourite to win the Cup.

All I am making is a prediction about the cup.  I don't put a lot of stock in favorites, since those change over the course of a season.  Not saying we were in the same league for most of the game or that they haven't deserved the wins they got.  But Bob is the X factor with them.  15-3-2 record where some of those have come with 4 goals against.  Will he take them past the first round or will they need to go with Knight.

Calgary tried to play run and gun with a team that just has more talent than we do. Florida might have three of the most underrated players in the league in Barkov, Huberdeau and Ekblad. 

This is just one of those games where they got away from their identity and got exploited by a very good team. It happens. Move on and get ready for the next one.

24 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Calgary tried to play run and gun with a team that just has more talent than we do. Florida might have three of the most underrated players in the league in Barkov, Huberdeau and Ekblad. 

This is just one of those games where they got away from their identity and got exploited by a very good team. It happens. Move on and get ready for the next one.

FLA has it all.  #1 Center, #1 D, #1 G... When Bennett is healthy and not suspended, you can argue they have two #1 C.  And can deploy Lundell, Reinhart, and Thornton as bottom six C.  Riches at Center.  Knight is a #1B G.  

49 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Sadly I didnt get any of the intermission goodness.

Using one from the set of available streams, I was able to find the exact broadcast from SN West.  Same commercials, same intermission.  Could have watched the home broadcast, but I preferred to see Ball. 

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

FLA has it all.  #1 Center, #1 D, #1 G... When Bennett is healthy and not suspended, you can argue they have two #1 C.  And can deploy Lundell, Reinhart, and Thornton as bottom six C.  Riches at Center.  Knight is a #1B G.  

Wonder if Bennett will get himself suspended in the playoffs again.

31 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Huberdeau makes anyone a 2C. Dude is fire, always amped up and huge skills.

The RW strength is ridiculous, and none are their stars.

Mamim, Reinhart, Duclair, Hornqvist, Tippett. All good players with varied skillsets.

Their top 4 D are top 4. Forsling became a revelation last year.

3rd pair of Montour and Carlsson are avg, but it's 3rd pair.

I've watched them for a couple of years because Barkov is my fave NHLer.

Zito has really managed to put together a great team, and their drafting has been solid.

SNET constantly shows TBay, but FLA's a superior team. Swap goalies and FLA tramples TBay every time.

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Using one from the set of available streams, I was able to find the exact broadcast from SN West.  Same commercials, same intermission.  Could have watched the home broadcast, but I preferred to see Ball. 

I had the same options, I just prefer FLA. I'm not a big fan of any of the CDN teams analysts. The TBay game I'll do the away team broadcast. TBay's bias is obvious and pathetic.

Hopefully we're up 7-1 after the 2nd, then I'll watch TBay's feed for entertainment value.

22 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I had the same options, I just prefer FLA. I'm not a big fan of any of the CDN teams analysts. The TBay game I'll do the away team broadcast. TBay's bias is obvious and pathetic.

Hopefully we're up 7-1 after the 2nd, then I'll watch TBay's feed for entertainment value.

I sometimes have an issue getting the broadcasts to work, so I picked on and stuck with it.  It came will a full broadcast, not just during the play, which tends to be what you get with NHL Centre Ice broadcasts.  SNW isn't exactly known for hard hitting analysis.  I watch them more for the Marek or Friedman stuff.  When it's on.  Having to listen to Cassie is not my cup of tea.  More knowledge about hockey than me, but I find she misses stuff until she sees the replay.  Hads above Hrudey, but that isn't saying a lot.

Depends what is available next game.  I suspect it will be Ball/Cassie again, so if I can find an alternative one that is a full broadcast, I will go for that.  

5 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Sutter's after game presser very revealing what he thinks of our D!!

Was an exciting game and I trust the team will learn from it but sure glad they are not in our division.

Go Flames Go!

I didn't hear the presser... 

But the D really emphasizes the need for the team to play D by committee. Our D is basically all Top4. None are Top Pair D, unless we had a true #1 to compliment with one of them. 

I hope they learn from it. 

I wonder how much practice time they've gotten in? I mean, with Covid, were they even allowed to practice. They had the one or two before the first game back and then a few since. Sutter has to re-institute his philosophy, but it's not the end of the world. They played ok, but the game proved that there is a need to concentrate on the details and when they get away from them, it can bite them. 

38 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I sometimes have an issue getting the broadcasts to work, so I picked on and stuck with it.  It came will a full broadcast, not just during the play, which tends to be what you get with NHL Centre Ice broadcasts.  SNW isn't exactly known for hard hitting analysis.  I watch them more for the Marek or Friedman stuff.  When it's on.  Having to listen to Cassie is not my cup of tea.  More knowledge about hockey than me, but I find she misses stuff until she sees the replay.  Hads above Hrudey, but that isn't saying a lot.

Depends what is available next game.  I suspect it will be Ball/Cassie again, so if I can find an alternative one that is a full broadcast, I will go for that.  

I have a bit of different setup. I have an old desktop Dell driver completely free of any security features, just pop-up blockers. I never get ads on any stream, just open it and I'm there. It's the only thing that I use that driver for, nothing on it.

It's isolated from my main internet service for $40/mth, which is fine because, as you know, I can watch anything without figuring out the ad tricks. Streaming's a breeze. I compared it to streaming from my main, it's always 60-90 seconds ahead. Maybe 5 seconds behind live on TV.

Only issue was no HDMI, separate A/V jacks, but nothing speakers didn't make even better.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So they only have about 2 or 3 guys that CAN score? Something doesn't add up here. 

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I will take the blame.  I wasn't able to watch normally and post my support on the thread.

Had to watch a stream and cast it onto the tv.

Good stream, even though it was just the Flames broadcast.

UNlike the usual streams where you only get the live game part and no intermission coverage.

No it was ME! I did it. I watched the game. Plus, when Coleman scored I said Bob Sucked and even though I still don't like him as a Goalie, I shouldn't have said that. He shut the door since. Although, I didn't feel like we had very many quality chances after that. But we didn't get another past him and if you don't outscore the other team. Chances are, it's a L.

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Yes. 

plus they have about 5 or 6 other guys up and down the lineup that can provide secondary scoring. So if your 3 have an off night, chances are the rest of the team can pick up the slack.