FLAMES @ Kraken - Thurs 30 Dec 2021

travel_dude

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

As much as Backlund has played like crap, Richrdson has looked like total crap,

Can't generate anything.

Waste of space over Ruzie.

And they have him playing LW.

i agree. I almost think Ruzicka could play over a few other players. I’d say Richardson and Pitlick. I’d almost prefer him over Coleman too. Maybe I’m missing something and Coleman is better, but I can’t see it yet. 

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i agree. I almost think Ruzicka could play over a few other players. I’d say Richardson and Pitlick. I’d almost prefer him over Coleman too. Maybe I’m missing something and Coleman is better, but I can’t see it yet. 

Yeah, I am sure that there are intangibles that I'm not seeing with the eye test, but admittedly, I've been a bit disappointed with Pitlick and Coleman so far this season. Particularly the latter - I thought that he was a crucial part of the two Tampa cups, but I haven't seen him as much of a difference-maker so far in Calgary. I am hopeful that he finds his stride, and not that this is it.

Love.

23 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, I am sure that there are intangibles that I'm not seeing with the eye test, but admittedly, I've been a bit disappointed with Pitlick and Coleman so far this season. Particularly the latter - I thought that he was a crucial part of the two Tampa cups, but I haven't seen him as much of a difference-maker so far in Calgary. I am hopeful that he finds his stride, and not that this is it.

Love.

I think he would work with a few players, but he's stuck with Backlund.

What a garbage line that was tonight.

I would consider something like Dube-Ruzie-Coleman

Really, there are two players right now that are killing the lines they are on.

Richardson and Pitlick.

I've got no issue with Lewiis, but he doesn;t make Monahan any better.

Maybe just put Backlund back on the 3rd line.

JH-Lindy-Tkachuk

Mangiapane-Monahan-Coleman

Lucic-Backlund-Dube

Ruzie-Lewis-Pitlick (although Ruzie is way better playing his natural position).

Thanks for GDT and its good to have hockey back. A win is a win but this game was not easy to watch. Depite what Chucky stated they were rusty even he looked out of sorts. Our D looked below average tonight especially, Anderson and Gubranson. The other issue as alluded to by others, is the extremely poor play of Coleman and Pitlick. Coleman has been well below advertised as well as extremely over paid for what he brings. Pitlich the guyis just a momentum killer, every play just dies when with him, the worst is now each have no value on the market.

One has to ask why is it a constant with forwards that Trevling goes out to get? He goes out to obtain this guys and  grossly over pays and the needle moves in the opposite direction. I get there is dislike for Richardson and Lewis but at under 2 Million they are coming in as advertised. However over 6 million for 2 guys that are ineffective has always been an issue. When Richardson and Lewis have close to as many points as Coleman, Backs and Monahan especailly in their roles and ice time there is a huge issue. 

We nay pick up a win in CHI, but the biggest tests will be in the state of Florida. Both these clubs are in the converastion as contenders. FYI Bennet was a healthy scracth in the FLA vs TAM game. 

Lets hope 2022 is kind to this club. Happy, Safe and Properus new year to everyone

I thought it was a very good effort by the team and the only reason it was close was they weren't as focused on details, especially defensively, and I didn't think Markstrom was very good. That being said I think both of those things can be expected after a long lay off and the most important thing is to battle, skate and find a way to win. They were good in all of those areas for me. 

Put me in the camp that has zero concern over Coleman. You want more offense sure but he's been stellar away from the puck and I think, much like Markstrom last year, this is just a classic of case of a high profile FA just not having a great start. This is the first time in his career he's having to manage the expectations of a big contract and being a difference maker so like a lot of big FA signings I see him just trying to find his way but I think he'll find it. He's just too good away from the puck to not have that lead to more offense eventually. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Put me in the camp that has zero concern over Coleman. You want more offense sure but he's been stellar away from the puck and I think, much like Markstrom last year, this is just a classic of case of a high profile FA just not having a great start. This is the first time in his career he's having to manage the expectations of a big contract and being a difference maker so like a lot of big FA signings I see him just trying to find his way but I think he'll find it. He's just too good away from the puck to not have that lead to more offense eventually. 

One thing to note is Coleman is only behind the top line in shots on goal, when you factor in the PP which Coleman doesn't play he is essentially leading the team at even strength, I'm a believer in the law of averages and things will even out a little for guys like Coleman and Backlund in a positive way, it is possible it will come at the expense of Mangiapane and Lucic, but I'll join you in the zero concern camp. 

31 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Damnation thought the game was tonight.

Oh well good to see we got the win.

HNY Calgary!

HNY to you way over there, I'm jealous you get to end this crappy year soon while I'm stuck in it for 12.5 hours.  Thanks for all the GDT this year.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I think he would work with a few players, but he's stuck with Backlund.

What a garbage line that was tonight.

I would consider something like Dube-Ruzie-Coleman

Really, there are two players right now that are killing the lines they are on.

Richardson and Pitlick.

I've got no issue with Lewiis, but he doesn;t make Monahan any better.

Maybe just put Backlund back on the 3rd line.

JH-Lindy-Tkachuk

Mangiapane-Monahan-Coleman

Lucic-Backlund-Dube

Ruzie-Lewis-Pitlick (although Ruzie is way better playing his natural position).

I agree and have been saying this from the start of the season, Backlund is a great 3rd line option…but too $$$ for what he dose.

Burring Monahan has been a horrible idea and playing him on line 2 is better but again I still think pairs are best for now giving the weakness at RW on this team..

Gaudrau/Monahan/….???Ruzicka 

Tachuck/Lindholm/….???Coleman 

Manji/Backlund/….????Dube 
Lucic/????Lewis/????Pitlick

in an ideal world, maybe we could move on from Lucic, Lewis, Pitlick, Dube and Coleman…save some $$$ and bring in 3 good RW’s and a more cost effective 3rd line Ctr 

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

I thought it was a very good effort by the team and the only reason it was close was they weren't as focused on details, especially defensively, and I didn't think Markstrom was very good. That being said I think both of those things can be expected after a long lay off and the most important thing is to battle, skate and find a way to win. They were good in all of those areas for me. 

The Gio goal off Zaddy was a miscue; nobody went to the puck after the drop off.

The one off the faceoff was strange, where Guddy ended up flat on the ice.

Didn't see if it was a trip or what.

The deflection with Kyl in front was a double deflection possibly.

The initial deflection put it out of Markstrom's reach.

Markstrom was bad unless he was good.

He made good saves but gave up sloppy ones.

We let them back in too easily after going up.

Details missed for sure.

But you are correct in that we outplayed them by a wide margin.

At one point we had over 70% on the dot.

Better resuly than we have seen after a break.

Looch with the snipe?

Wasn't expecting him to get off that bice a shot.

And he turnd a simple check on the boards into extended zone time. 

11 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Flames continue to surprise me

The biggest thing for me is Johnny. I always felt he got too caught up in pouting to the refs and it knocked him off his game. So if you're every team in the league the approach is, "Get to Johnny".

He IS a weapon. Spectacular player. But I always thought the whining subtracted from his awesome game waaay too much.

He isn't doing that anymore. I'm positive DS must have told him, "Don't get caught up in that garbage, let Matt do it, that's his game".

Even during the anthems, his look told me, he is intense.

He is an elite NHLer, seriously needed someone to tell him, "everyone is going to hack and slash you to throw you off of your incredible game, because it works".

He's a $10 x 8yr re-sign to me. Term isn't bringing that down much. He IS worth it.

Now that he's learning to stop being distracted by bs. "Show up, keep your mouth shut, and play your game. I'm your coach, the bs is my responsibility, not yours".

Almost like a rebirth. Exceptional player that we really need to stay here and retire a Flames. He's not replaceable by any stretch of the imagination. His PKane comparable now rings true when the distractions stop.

Just play hockey. I'm loving it. Always LOVED the player, but hated how easily he could fall away due to bs.

Extend him now that we're seeing him mature, without question.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The biggest thing for me is Johnny. I always felt he got too caught up in pouting to the refs and it knocked him off his game. So if you're every team in the league the approach is, "Get to Johnny".

He IS a weapon. Spectacular player. But I always thought the whining subtracted from his awesome game waaay too much.

He isn't doing that anymore. I'm positive DS must have told him, "Don't get caught up in that garbage, let Matt do it, that's his game".

Even during the anthems, his look told me, he is intense.

He is an elite NHLer, seriously needed someone to tell him, "everyone is going to hack and slash you to throw you off of your incredible game, because it works".

He's a $10 x 8yr re-sign to me. Term isn't bringing that down much. He IS worth it.

Now that he's learning to stop being distracted by bs. "Show up, keep your mouth shut, and play your game. I'm your coach, the bs is my responsibility, not yours".

Almost like a rebirth. Exceptional player that we really need to stay here and retire a Flames. He's not replaceable by any stretch of the imagination. His PKane comparable now rings true when the distractions stop.

Just play hockey. I'm loving it. Always LOVED the player, but hated how easily he could fall away due to bs.

Extend him now that we're seeing him mature, without question.

At his size, I always gave him a bit of a pass on that, I mean he really does get slashed and targeted.

And I've always admired his ability to never get injured somehow, which is obviously a combination of his speed and vision.

The question, and it has always been the question, is playoffs.    That aside, they continue to surprise me.

6 hours ago, jjgallow said:

At his size, I always gave him a bit of a pass on that, I mean he really does get slashed and targeted.

And I've always admired his ability to never get injured somehow, which is obviously a combination of his speed and vision.

The question, and it has always been the question, is playoffs.    That aside, they continue to surprise me.

The playoffs are a bit of a function of the lines, not just one player.

JH was not very effective becuase they knew he was going pass every time.

They targeted him, and nobody else need be covered.

This year you see JH taking passes and getting shots away or a breakaway.

That is not what teams expect.

Not to even mention that we had a rookie coach in our last playoffs.

I would expect more like regular season resulrs this time around, because we are playing more like a playoff team.