17 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It sure indicates that it's more of a media thing. Doughty prolly laughed his Hash Rate off.

There is also a tweet/Athletic somewhere of one the LA players doing Doughty's secret santa.  Not sure what the present was but it was signed by Tkachuk. 

• Like 1

This isn't a suggestion, just the way the practice went Sunday:

P4iUUb0A_normal.jpg

A few tweaks Sunday at practice:
Lucic-Monahan-Toffoli
Lewis-Ruzicka-Ritchie
Dube rotating on the Monahan line,
Richardson rotating on the Ruzicka line.

Everything else looked the same. We’ll see what things look like at warmup Monday afternoon vs. Winnipeg.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

This isn't a suggestion, just the way the practice went Sunday:

P4iUUb0A_normal.jpg

A few tweaks Sunday at practice:
Lucic-Monahan-Toffoli
Lewis-Ruzicka-Ritchie
Dube rotating on the Monahan line,
Richardson rotating on the Ruzicka line.

Everything else looked the same. We’ll see what things look like at warmup Monday afternoon vs. Winnipeg.

big team, looks like he might want to even the size throughout the lineup. 

5 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

Well now that Tyler Toffolli has had time to rest and recoup up from the games in montreal before he got here then the trip to here so he should be started to get rested

Toff is coming from quite the tire fire in MTL - last in the league this year - so I’ve got lots of time for him to round his game out with us. Sutter is doing right by having him take reps on line 3 to start. It coincidently also allows us to evaluate Mony with him. I imagine it’ll be a few weeks before Sutter considers him for PP duty. He’ll make sure the rest of Toff’s game is ready before he puts him on special teams. And we’ve been so effective 5-on-5 this year that I feel Toff is going to be that PP spark we need. I am excited. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

big team, looks like he might want to even the size throughout the lineup. 

I guess that Sutter wants to see if we can win in spite of having Ritchie in the lineup.

Have two RHS on opposite wings.

I've got no problem with moving Dube down a bit.

He scored in 2 of 3, so demote him.

In fact, take him out for a guy that has complete zeros on his card.

I want to see Lucic with Monahan and Toffoli, but that isn't exactly a speedy line.

Yeah, Sutter doesn't want to disturb the Backlund line, since Coles and Mange are fine.

But, with Monahan struggling, I would prefer to move Colemane there.

Johnny-Lindy-Tkachuk

Mange-Backs-Toffoli

Coleman-Monahan-Dube

Lucic-Ruzie-Lewis

What is wrong with that?

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I guess that Sutter wants to see if we can win in spite of having Ritchie in the lineup.

I want to see Lucic with Monahan and Toffoli, but that isn't exactly a speedy line.

Yeah, Sutter doesn't want to disturb the Backlund line, since Coles and Mange are fine.

Johnny-Lindy-Tkachuk

Mange-Backs-Toffoli

Coleman-Monahan-Dube

Lucic-Ruzie-Lewis

What is wrong with that?

I’m not really sure. I think as long the team is winning. Maybe he wants to keep his star Ritchie fresh!

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Johnny-Lindy-Tkachuk

Mange-Backs-Toffoli

Coleman-Monahan-Dube

Lucic-Ruzie-Lewis

What is wrong with that?

Nothing except the chemistry on the Manji/Backlund Coleman line is already there so makes no sense to make changes…if it cools Off for a bit then maybe make Some changes…of note:

Manji/Monahan/Toffoil 

Dube/Backlund/Coleman 

or

Coleman/Backlund/Dube…this more so cause Dube seems to be more

effect on the RW side and Coleman is just effective wherever for the most part…

In the next Van game I would like to see Sutter bring in Valmaki and Stone to replace Gub and Zed. We need to know what we have in those two come playoff time. Same with forwards I don't mind seeing Ritchie in for Dube for a game. Could also BT wants to highlight Ritchie to move to ARI to join his brother.

34 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

In the next Van game I would like to see Sutter bring in Valmaki and Stone to replace Gub and Zed. We need to know what we have in those two come playoff time. Same with forwards I don't mind seeing Ritchie in for Dube for a game. Could also BT wants to highlight Ritchie to move to ARI to join his brother.

No way Sutter is bringing in Valimaki right now.  I think he wants Valimaki to play the year in Stockton.  Much like the rest of the farm hands, he doesn't think they are ready.  He's seen both Mackey and Valimaki and has his opinion.

As far as pumping up Ritchie?  Sutter doesn't play that way.  And pumping up Ritchie means yu keep him hidden so that a team doesn;t see how bad he really is.  He's a body to use as a last resort for the 4th line, in case they are getting beaten up and Lucic/Guddy don't want to fight on a given game day.  I'm yet to find any usefull play he provides.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

No way Sutter is bringing in Valimaki right now.  I think he wants Valimaki to play the year in Stockton.  Much like the rest of the farm hands, he doesn't think they are ready.  He's seen both Mackey and Valimaki and has his opinion.

As far as pumping up Ritchie?  Sutter doesn't play that way.  And pumping up Ritchie means yu keep him hidden so that a team doesn;t see how bad he really is.  He's a body to use as a last resort for the 4th line, in case they are getting beaten up and Lucic/Guddy don't want to fight on a given game day.  I'm yet to find any usefull play he provides.

I definitely wouldn't consider there's any disconnect between the big club and the farm. I'm sure Sutter is very in tune with what he has in Stockton. I'd like to see some looks too, but Sutter is no dummy, so I can live with any direction. Detroit is a good example of being patient with prospects. Seider could have made the team last year, but why give him 3rd pairing minutes when he can keep building in the SHL? Yzerman wasn't even sure this year, but Seider kicked the door down.

Imo it's beneficial that we let the farm be the farm for a year. We can use it next year. Lots of jr graduates for next year too. You want a fiercely competitive farm and we're definitely getting it to where it needs to be.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I definitely wouldn't consider there's any disconnect between the big club and the farm. I'm sure Sutter is very in tune with what he has in Stockton. I'd like to see some looks too, but Sutter is no dummy, so I can live with any direction. Detroit is a good example of being patient with prospects. Seider could have made the team last year, but why give him 3rd pairing minutes when he can keep building in the SHL? Yzerman wasn't even sure this year, but Seider kicked the door down.

Imo it's beneficial that we let the farm be the farm for a year. We can use it next year. Lots of jr graduates for next year too. You want a fiercely competitive farm and we're definitely getting it to where it needs to be.

I agree that the farm is the farm.  No problem with leaving Valimaki and Mackey there.

They weren't ready las year or even this year.

That was pretty obvious.

I think the best players on F in Stockton will only be here if there is a top 9 spot opening up.

No point bringing in Phillips or Pelts to play on a 4th line.

We aren't built that way.

On 2/21/2022 at 11:19 AM, redfire11 said:

Now is not the time.  Wait for the final 3 meaningless games to end the regular season, then yes.  No roster size limits.  Bring up 5 bodies and practice with the team.  Also, give the regulars a game or two off for maintenance and preparation for the playoffs.

We need to see Valimaki, Mackey, and Stone at least a couple games before the big show.

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Now is not the time.  Wait for the final 3 meaningless games to end the regular season, then yes.  No roster size limits.  Bring up 5 bodies and practice with the team.  Also, give the regulars a game or two off for maintenance and preparation for the playoffs.

We need to see Valimaki, Mackey, and Stone at least a couple games before the big show.

The timing of the NHL and AHL seasons don't mix very well.  They play till almost the same date, then the Heat will be in playoffs.  The Black Aces won't be anyone they want to be in a development league winning environment.  

What I am saying is that there may be some recalls before the playoffs and get in some game action, but Sutter wants to win every game.  If they come up, they have to play or it's useless.  Game action, regardless of the league, is better than just practice.  Sitting regulars sounds good, but going into the playoffs on fire is as well.  

On 2/23/2022 at 7:48 AM, The_People1 said:

Wouldn't you want to wait at least until we no longer have our winning streak I don't think I would want to risk the streak just to see how the kids mix in? But after words would love to see how the kids do But i was informed that would hurt our bottom line money wise ?

Zutter puts the hammer down on two players.

Something about th last couple of games, seen in the player usages:

#Flames projected tonight vs. Minnesota:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Lucic-Monahan-Toffoli
Lewis-Richardson-Ritchie

Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Tanev
Zadorov-Gudbranson

Markstrom

This is strange, considering that Richardson and Ritchie skated with Lucic.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Zutter puts the hammer down on two players.

Something about th last couple of games, seen in the player usages:

#Flames projected tonight vs. Minnesota:

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Tkachuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Lucic-Monahan-Toffoli
Lewis-Richardson-Ritchie

Hanifin-Andersson
Kylington-Tanev
Zadorov-Gudbranson

Markstrom

This is strange, considering that Richardson and Ritchie skated with Lucic.

i don’t think he’s happy with the Dube progress. While he’s doing sort of okay, he’s not pushing ahead like players should. I guess advance stats suggest differently, but I don’t think Sutter has been happy with him. It’s been fine considering he has been in the lineup…. 

although, I think the way Minnesota plays, big hockey, he’s concerned with Dube’s inability to stay on his feet or go up against bigger guys in our own zone. I think in the forecheck he might be ok. 

i can’t quite pinpoint what it is about Dube that concerns me or makes me feel we have a Sam Bennett situation, won’t put it all together in Calgary, like he needs a different mix to.

29 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i don’t think he’s happy with the Dube progress. While he’s doing sort of okay, he’s not pushing ahead like players should. I guess advance stats suggest differently, but I don’t think Sutter has been happy with him. It’s been fine considering he has been in the lineup…. 

although, I think the way Minnesota plays, big hockey, he’s concerned with Dube’s inability to stay on his feet or go up against bigger guys in our own zone. I think in the forecheck he might be ok. 

i can’t quite pinpoint what it is about Dube that concerns me or makes me feel we have a Sam Bennett situation, won’t put it all together in Calgary, like he needs a different mix to.

Sutter is managing the roster.  He wants Dube and Ruzie to get hungry.  Maybe too comfortable.

He also suggested that you compete for your spot, when you lose that battle, time to sit.

He also said those guys need to play.

Yeah, okay.

Not an improvement, but Sutter said more gritty less pretty.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Sutter is managing the roster.  He wants Dube and Ruzie to get hungry.  Maybe too comfortable.

He also suggested that you compete for your spot, when you lose that battle, time to sit.

He also said those guys need to play.

Yeah, okay.

Not an improvement, but Sutter said more gritty less pretty.

i can agree with it. 
min the playoffs gritty tends to beat skill because skill doesn’t always try as hard. I think it’s his way of saying the try needs to be there. Sometimes the team gets too pretty. 

but when the skill tries and matches the effort of the grit, that’s another story…

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

i can agree with it. 
min the playoffs gritty tends to beat skill because skill doesn’t always try as hard. I think it’s his way of saying the try needs to be there. Sometimes the team gets too pretty. 

but when the skill tries and matches the effort of the grit, that’s another story…

The gritty thing came from last game.

He feels that Johnny and Tkachuk need to get a little more greasy.

I don't think he was suggesting that Dube and Ruzie were not helping, just they had fallen off their compete level, in his opinion.  I've got no problem with sitting young guys, but the alternative has zero offense.  It's a message to the players and the team.  

To me, the alternative shows we don't have enough good depth at F.  Having depth is one thing, but not only do they need to be players that can effectively play their normal level, but also be able to play up.  BT should be addressing this, but he doesn't want to cross Sutter.  Or so it appears.  Would prefer that 13 and 14 be guys that are effective in their position.    

It will be interesting if someone is going on waivers or if Ruzicka will be sent down to call up a defenseman. We can't call up Mackey or Valimaki without clearing roster and cap space.

So if Kylington is going to miss some time I think we will see Stone in the lineup for a bit.

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Tanev

Stone-Gudbranson

20 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It will be interesting if someone is going on waivers or if Ruzicka will be sent down to call up a defenseman. We can't call up Mackey or Valimaki without clearing roster and cap space.

So if Kylington is going to miss some time I think we will see Stone in the lineup for a bit.

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Tanev

Stone-Gudbranson

Certainly not ideal.  

Stone and Guddy put out two less mobile guys.

Say what you want about Big Z, he is mobile and is able to zone exist and entry.

Stone can probably come in without a lot of disruption.

Put him with Tanev to protect the other pairs.

I think the logical thing would be to waive Ritchie or Richardson.

Assumng any longer absence that is.

Yes, it has some risks, but it doesn't make a lot of sense when Ruzie has been quite good.

According to the fancy stats at least.

I feel the healthy scratch was about getting him to re-focus.

Saying all that, Kylington was in the dressing room.

He wasn't taken to hospital.

Matty said he seemed fine.

It doesn't mean he plays next game, but is good that he never left the building.

No doubt, the docs will be very careful with him.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Certainly not ideal.  

Stone and Guddy put out two less mobile guys.

Say what you want about Big Z, he is mobile and is able to zone exist and entry.

Stone can probably come in without a lot of disruption.

Put him with Tanev to protect the other pairs.

I think the logical thing would be to waive Ritchie or Richardson.

Assumng any longer absence that is.

Yes, it has some risks, but it doesn't make a lot of sense when Ruzie has been quite good.

According to the fancy stats at least.

I feel the healthy scratch was about getting him to re-focus.

Saying all that, Kylington was in the dressing room.

He wasn't taken to hospital.

Matty said he seemed fine.

It doesn't mean he plays next game, but is good that he never left the building.

No doubt, the docs will be very careful with him.

Yeah, hopefully he has a speedy recovery. 

As someone who has had a few concussions, it isn't something you want to rush. I wouldn't play him on Tuesday and I would have him sit out at least a week. He is someone we will need down the stretch and into the playoffs, so I would be extra careful.