Johnny Gaudreau

Thebrewcrew

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I still think if Johnny won't extend with us by TDL, then we have to trade him.  

It's a tough call.

He should have been extended in the summer when he didn't have to think about hockey.

I think there is next to zero chance he walks for nothing if not re-signed this winter.

But that chance is due to hard negotiations done by BT.

I'm fairly risk adverse, so I don't know how we manage this without a signed deal.

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I still think if Johnny won't extend with us by TDL, then we have to trade him.  

I think it depends where you are at with a framework for a deal, where the team is standing.  Of course you can be both sellers and buyers at the deadline, but you might only be able sell to 5 teams and where are those 5 teams at.  I don't want to say there is no chance he stays if he is unsigned by the end of the season, I don't know how negotiations are going, maybe he would go Tavares or sign right before hitting free agency like Stamkos or Landeskog, all I do know is there has been paranoia in this fanbase since his junior year at BC about him wanting to be somewhere else.

• 7 months later...
10 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It sucks. But the team has always been bigger than one player. The program will roll on. 

If anything it'll get more buy-in from the players on what Darryl is preaching

Yup.. assuming he's still here , he'll be telling Chucky " you know everyone thinks you only had that season cuz of Johnny right?"

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Yup.. assuming he's still here , he'll be telling Chucky " you know everyone thinks you only had that season cuz of Johnny right?"

I'm looking at the Flames and thinking of the NY Islanders after Tavares left. The Isles got complete buy-in after JT left and went deeper than the Leafs.

I think Darryl has at least a year left. When he's done, I'm hoping Mitch Love gets the gig

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It sucks. But the team has always been bigger than one player. The program will roll on. 

If anything it'll get more buy-in from the players on what Darryl is preaching

But you must realize this comment can be applied both ways. 

Lose him for nothing, "don't worry, team is bigger than one player".

Trade him at the TDL, "no worries, team is bigger than one player".

We thought we could re-sign him in the 11th hour but we were wrong.  We gambled and lost.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

But you must realize this comment can be applied both ways. 

Lose him for nothing, "don't worry, team is bigger than one player".

Trade him at the TDL, "no worries, team is bigger than one player".

We thought we could re-sign him in the 11th hour but we were wrong.  We gambled and lost.

We were going to give him $10.5 x 8. He actually did us a favour. That would've dragged us down the rabbit hole of cap hell in no time.

As @sak22 keeps pointing out, the last few years have been anomalous. Scoring was way up last year. It just so happened this offseason was a horrible time for contract renewals with players having anomaly seasons.

We already have a great structure to compete in a "normal" NHL season. It's time to look ahead.

55 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

We were going to give him $10.5 x 8. He actually did us a favour. That would've dragged us down the rabbit hole of cap hell in no time.

As @sak22 keeps pointing out, the last few years have been anomalous. Scoring was way up last year. It just so happened this offseason was a horrible time for contract renewals with players having anomaly seasons.

We already have a great structure to compete in a "normal" NHL season. It's time to look ahead.

Yes it's very strange how scoring went up in a contract year for a bunch of our top players.   To me this shows that they aren't here for the money, and clearly Gaudreau was just doing his best to represent our City, and we can be sure they'll act in good faith and take that hometown discount in contract negotiations.   Not sure what other conclusion can be drawn from it, other than we can assume scoring will only increase after we start paying them more on long term deals.

• Haha 1

There is no such thing as a home town discount in the league nowadays cause gms Have beem taking advantage of players for years and it  has stopped and most players will wait and get what there worth hometown discounts dont esxist like the olden days there maybe the odd one here or there but not like how popular they were years ago

2 hours ago, The_Snowbear said:

There is no such thing as a home town discount in the league nowadays cause gms Have beem taking advantage of players for years and it  has stopped and most players will wait and get what there worth hometown discounts dont esxist like the olden days there maybe the odd one here or there but not like how popular they were years ago

It's a bit of both actually.  Some players that want to stay want to find some way to stay.  Landeskog signed long term for a lot less so that they can keep MacKinnon.  I don't know if Kane took a discount because he didn't wait for FA.  They can't afford him and keep the same team, but he signed low enough to not be 100% the cause.  They keep having to buy out players so they can sign others to long term contracts or 4 years at decent costs.  And they have to trade players to keep it going.

We shall see with Kadri.  He hasn't signed yet, but then again his age is working against the usual 7 year deal.  The AVS will need to trade a guy like Girard for them to have any chance at Kadri, unless he signs a sweethart deal.  Even if he does, they have a big problem next year.

On 7/16/2022 at 6:16 AM, conundrumed said:

Yep . There's a reason no team has ever won a cup while carrying a $10m player ..likely will one day as the cap rises , but when someone earns the high payday , somebody has to pay the price for it .. just simple math ..

I'll say this.. and I will preface it by saying its not sour grapes , and not intended to be a bash at Johnny ..but yes he did us a favor .

He chose family and location over winning..  now he should be commended for putting family first.  He earned the right to be well paid and to choose his home on his terms .. but it takes a drive to win a cup..a hatred of losing ..and he showed that winning isn't as important to him. . Again, not a knock, just fact. Not everybody has it..  but if I'm an owner paying a player what we offered him.. you better be willing to be that guy . 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Yep . There's a reason no team has ever won a cup while carrying a $10m player ..likely will one day as the cap rises , but when someone earns the high payday , somebody has to pay the price for it .. just simple math ..

I'll say this.. and I will preface it by saying its not sour grapes , and not intended to be a bash at Johnny ..but yes he did us a favor .

He chose family and location over winning..  now he should be commended for putting family first.  He earned the right to be well paid and to choose his home on his terms .. but it takes a drive to win a cup..a hatred of losing ..and he showed that winning isn't as important to him. . Again, not a knock, just fact. Not everybody has it..  but if I'm an owner paying a player what we offered him.. you better be willing to be that guy . 

He can still sign a 5 yr extension after this one.lol

Ifn younowhati'msayin'.

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

It depends on what you call winning; and I think we differ greatly on our opinions.  Johnny made a choice to win at family, as well as dedicating to hockey.  He showed that his priority is long term-working on that fifty year anniversary.  Is hockey important, absolutely.  But how many times have we heard that career choices or pressures destroyed a family.  Time will tell if his decision to leave Calgary was good or bad for his career. But for his family, setting himself to be a family oriented player, I have nothing but respect for that.  He has already won. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

Kucherov and Vasilevskiy are just slightly below that magic number.

TBL have 3 players making 9.5M and another one at 8.5M.

Ovi and Sid are both players that were signed under the old rules that allowed you to sign long long deal and lower the AAV.

We have nobody making that.

Paying Gaudreau 10.5 would not have been the worst thing for us by itself.

I'm not suggesting that he alone gets us the cup.

What I am saying is that there are a bunch of players killing the cap instead of being used to improve the team.

Defense is not the problem.

Lower AAV centers is not the problem.

Paying two players that were 4th liners is a huge problem.

I'm not saying Gaudreau didn't leave for family related reasons; he for sure did.

Maybe he also sees that the team is still in a rut.

We can't get better this year with him on the team.

We couldn't afford to stay the same, so it was only going to be internal improvements.

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

i always thought he'd be better on a different team and he was stifled by having to always make his own room. I get elite players have to do that and he did. 

i think I question the most of the team's drive to win. It's why I thought rebuilding a few years ago should have started then. Maybe this year was an experience thing, not playing their game. But it showed an unwillingness to do what it takes. Maybe they got away from the game because they thought it's what it takes! 

i believed in the Reg season. They skated in the playoffs but didn't execute the game plan. If they did then this was in Sutter. 

but back to trading these guys, I get it's rumour stuff, but it has sounded like these guys wanted out sooner. Needed impact deals done then. 

2 hours ago, flames for life said:

It depends on what you call winning; and I think we differ greatly on our opinions.  Johnny made a choice to win at family, as well as dedicating to hockey.  He showed that his priority is long term-working on that fifty year anniversary.  Is hockey important, absolutely.  But how many times have we heard that career choices or pressures destroyed a family.  Time will tell if his decision to leave Calgary was good or bad for his career. But for his family, setting himself to be a family oriented player, I have nothing but respect for that.  He has already won. 

and to be clear , we are saying the same thing . I give him Kudos too.. he's getting paid almost $70M to play  game he loves, live a life where he can raise a family in the city environment he wants .. cant help but be jealous of that .  His every move wont be scrutinized, every loss dissected..

I'm talking Hockey Winning .. he doesn't hate to lose. You want a cup , you need that .

I respect his choices, not criticizing him.. just the fact that winning a cup was secondary to him..

8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

and to be clear , we are saying the same thing . I give him Kudos too.. he's getting paid almost $70M to play  game he loves, live a life where he can raise a family in the city environment he wants .. cant help but be jealous of that .  His every move wont be scrutinized, every loss dissected..

I'm talking Hockey Winning .. he doesn't hate to lose. You want a cup , you need that .

I respect his choices, not criticizing him.. just the fact that winning a cup was secondary to him..

He signed for 7 years and with a team that has had 5 first rounders in the last 2 drafts with 4 in the top half, things turn fast in this league, I'd say they have as good of chance as Jersey at winning in the next few years, obviously winning in the short term Calgary presents the best option, but in 3-5 years Columbus could have something.  I think he does care about winning, but there wasn't really a slam dunk winning team right away that was able to make a serious offer.