Johnny Gaudreau

Thebrewcrew

Probably time for a new Gaudreau thread. He will certainly be a key figure in this Flames season

Good article from DailyFaceoff on what Gaudreau’s next deal could look like

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/the-negotiator-how-much-term-for-johnny-gaudreaus-next-deal/

This article is written by Steve Greeley, a former NHL executive.

It’s worth a read but Greeley determines 7.75x7 as where the next deal should land.  I think the Flames need to add that 8th year though

On 10/23/2021 at 11:23 AM, Thebrewcrew said:

Probably time for a new Gaudreau thread. He will certainly be a key figure in this Flames season

Good article from DailyFaceoff on what Gaudreau’s next deal could look like

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/the-negotiator-how-much-term-for-johnny-gaudreaus-next-deal/

This article is written by Steve Greeley, a former NHL executive.

It’s worth a read but Greeley determines 7.75x7 as where the next deal should land.  I think the Flames need to add that 8th year though

I’m I could see an 8x8 deal or a 7x8 deal…doubt it’s below 8 though.

Since the summer, my preferred offer has been in the 7.75-8 range on a long term deal. To get it to below 8, the Flames may need to include an NMC for a lkarge chunk of the deal and/or make it bonus heavy.

I don't think Gaudreau signs during the season. I think at the very least he will explore what's out there. I would be surprised if a team was willing to pay Gaudreau more than 64 million on the open market. Last season the biggest deal given to a UFA forward was Landeskog he got 56 million to stay in Denver. 

Gaudreau's camp will argue he should be in the 9-9.5 range. I could make that argument too, I just don't see that number being given to him, given the landscape of the cap. Some team would rather overpay a D-man the way GM's have been doing business the past few months. 

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Since the summer, my preferred offer has been in the 7.75-8 range on a long term deal. To get it to below 8, the Flames may need to include an NMC for a lkarge chunk of the deal and/or make it bonus heavy.

I don't think Gaudreau signs during the season. I think at the very least he will explore what's out there. I would be surprised if a team was willing to pay Gaudreau more than 64 million on the open market. Last season the biggest deal given to a UFA forward was Landeskog he got 56 million to stay in Denver. 

Gaudreau's camp will argue he should be in the 9-9.5 range. I could make that argument too, I just don't see that number being given to him, given the landscape of the cap. Some team would rather overpay a D-man the way GM's have been doing business the past few months. 

I doubt he would wait to see what's out there.

He seems pretty happy where he is.

Give him a bit more firepower to win, and he would be happier.

What is he worth?

Highest scoring forward on the team and close to a point per game player?

A bit more productive than Landeahog with less weapons to use.

The rising cap will help mitigate the contract.

More worried about Tkachuk wanting too much.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I will be surprised if the Flames can get it to start with a 7. I feel like the AAV will land in the 8 range on a long term deal. 

maybe taking on the 8th year could get it into the 7s but also very debatable if that’s a smart play or not. 

Gaudreau has some crazy numbers!  

he has scored at a .954% rate, nearly a point per game.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Do we want to pay him $8-per until he's 36-years-old?  I would answer yes if we were close to putting it all together.

What is the Russian Ranger who wants out like?

I see he’s 6’3”. Does he use that size? Can he play RW? Even so, we can maneuver the lineup to fit him into the top 9. If he has very good potential then it’s a good transition from Tkachuk if we decided to go that route. Maybe it’s someone who can  play with Zary in a few years? How many guys come available at potential and size. Although, if he has size but doesn’t use it, we’ve had a lot of that. 

I don’t know what that costs though.

from what I read online, he just wants to play and is buried. Also sounds like GM Drury made his life dreary. Berating him in front of the whole team. It’s sounding like there’s two sides to that story so it’s not all on the player.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

What is the Russian Ranger who wants out like?

I see he’s 6’3”. Does he use that size? Can he play RW? Even so, we can maneuver the lineup to fit him into the top 9. If he has very good potential then it’s a good transition from Tkachuk if we decided to go that route. Maybe it’s someone who can  play with Zary in a few years? How many guys come available at potential and size. Although, if he has size but doesn’t use it, we’ve had a lot of that. 

I don’t know what that costs though.

from what I read online, he just wants to play and is buried. Also sounds like GM Drury made his life dreary. Berating him in front of the whole team. It’s sounding like there’s two sides to that story so it’s not all on the player.

Kravtsov is a LHS that plays RW. 9th overall pick back in 2018. He was probably drafted too early, but still a highly skilled young player. NYR is weird, this is a 2nd top 10 pick that wants out early in their career, Lias Andersson being the other, now in LA.

If the Flames were to deal Gaudreau, Kravtsov+ would be a very good return. Not sure that NYR would have interest though. Loaded with wingers. Panarin/Kreider/Lafreniere play LW. Kakko LHS playing RW, Barclay Goodrow another LHS W for NYR. 

31 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Kravtsov is a LHS that plays RW. 9th overall pick back in 2018. He was probably drafted too early, but still a highly skilled young player. NYR is weird, this is a 2nd top 10 pick that wants out early in their career, Lias Andersson being the other, now in LA.

If the Flames were to deal Gaudreau, Kravtsov+ would be a very good return. Not sure that NYR would have interest though. Loaded with wingers. Panarin/Kreider/Lafreniere play LW. Kakko LHS playing RW, Barclay Goodrow another LHS W for NYR. 

I think we are going to sign Gaudreau. 

I dunno what it’ll take. But maybe he’ll want a Tkachuk’s next deal type. 

what would 8x8 feel to some around here. 

$9m - yr1 

$9m - yr2

$9m - yr3

$9m - yr4

$8m - yr5

$7m - yr6

$5.5m - yr7

$4.5m - yr8

$7.625 cap hit

accounts for his most productive years of the deal and drops as he’d probably start to in his career. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think we are going to sign Gaudreau. 

I dunno what it’ll take. But maybe he’ll want a Tkachuk’s next deal type. 

what would 8x8 feel to some around here. 

$9m - yr1 

$9m - yr2

$9m - yr3

$9m - yr4

$8m - yr5

$7m - yr6

$5.5m - yr7

$4.5m - yr8

$7.625 cap hit

accounts for his most productive years of the deal and drops as he’d probably start to in his career. 

A bit too much of a drop.

He shouldn't sign for that

31 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I figured he’d be between 35-36 at the end. 

but I see him in a 9m at this stage for at least 5 years

I think the 9m works, it's just the 50% value in the last year.

If you are doing 8 years, then 9 x 4, 8 x-2, 7 x 2 = 8.25m.

They should offer Tkachuk and Gaudreau the same deals.

Will be the last deal Tkachuk signs in CGY.

Also, he gets no NTC at all.

Gaudreau should get it in the final 4 years.

Just my thoughts, as he has earned it over Tkachuk.

And give him the choice to finish out his career if he so desires.

I'm not really sure how durable he would be, but he's been in the leagie for a long time and appears to be immune.

Bad choice of words, but he doesn't take the abuse other players do.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think the 9m works, it's just the 50% value in the last year.

If you are doing 8 years, then 9 x 4, 8 x-2, 7 x 2 = 8.25m.

They should offer Tkachuk and Gaudreau the same deals.

Will be the last deal Tkachuk signs in CGY.

Also, he gets no NTC at all.

Gaudreau should get it in the final 4 years.

Just my thoughts, as he has earned it over Tkachuk.

And give him the choice to finish out his career if he so desires.

I'm not really sure how durable he would be, but he's been in the leagie for a long time and appears to be immune.

Bad choice of words, but he doesn't take the abuse other players do.

I saw that

10 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

lol

He has excellent self/spatial awareness.   Possibly the best I've seen in the game.   

He needs to.  But he sure does have it.

43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Hey, all I was meaning was it's not a good idea to suject a player is not subject to injuries.

I am superstitious.

It's not like wearing a face shield protects you.

😉.

if only they’d penalize slashes to the hands. You’d think they would. Hands are a star’s bread and butter!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, robrob74 said:

if only they’d penalize slashes to the hands. You’d think they would. Hands are a star’s bread and butter!

It's shaping up to be one of those weird seasons.

Cracking down on X-checking, but they supposedly cracked down on slashes.

I mean they are calling a lot of hooks to the hands, but slashing and X-checking is much more likely to cause an injury.

Maybe that's because nobody slashed McBaby.

He certainly cross checks players himself.

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

NHL Rank - Predicting the top 100 players for the 2021-22 season (espn.com)

Hopefully we can use this list to bring his value down.  Not only is he not on the top 100, not even on the 15 of just missed, neither is Lindholm.  

ESPN knows nothing about hockey.

They have a couple of hockey minds, but this list is a joke.

On 10/24/2021 at 11:47 AM, travel_dude said:

I doubt he would wait to see what's out there.

He seems pretty happy where he is.

Give him a bit more firepower to win, and he would be happier.

What is he worth?

Highest scoring forward on the team and close to a point per game player?

A bit more productive than Landeahog with less weapons to use.

The rising cap will help mitigate the contract.

More worried about Tkachuk wanting too much.

who will be the first player to file an unfair labour law suit agaist the nhl and players union for instituting the Cap... my money is on Tkachuk

• 4 weeks later...