Jack Beck- 2021 6th rounder

So with Whynot and Beck being let go, this ends the Lucic-Neal trade from our end, a trade that flipped in favors a few different times is now in our favor again because Lucic is done and Edmonton has 2 more years of 1.9 million in dead cap space.

One thing I'll mention is I think this is by far the most unsigned prospects I've seen league wide, so the Flames letting this many go isn't just a them thing. Not sure if there is anything behind this, other than just I think COVID made scouting/assessing really difficult. 

I'm surprised and disappointed with Beck and Whynot though as I thought both were worthy of a contract. For a team shy on their reserve list i'm pretty not sure I understand why they don't keep those 2 in the fold. 

I think Conroy mentioned though he felt they weren't as strong the last 2 drafts as they had been previously so this could just be a new GM wanting to start fresh. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

One thing I'll mention is I think this is by far the most unsigned prospects I've seen league wide, so the Flames letting this many go isn't just a them thing. Not sure if there is anything behind this, other than just I think COVID made scouting/assessing really difficult. 

I'm surprised and disappointed with Beck and Whynot though as I thought both were worthy of a contract. For a team shy on their reserve list i'm pretty not sure I understand why they don't keep those 2 in the fold. 

I think Conroy mentioned though he felt they weren't as strong the last 2 drafts as they had been previously so this could just be a new GM wanting to start fresh. 

Sure, but you don't always look ahead and discount everything done prior.  Two partial seasons since being drafted and they don't even bother with an ELC.  Not great seasons, sure.  But two developed prospects and you don't even look at them in the AHL.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Sure, but you don't always look ahead and discount everything done prior.  Two partial seasons since being drafted and they don't even bother with an ELC.  Not great seasons, sure.  But two developed prospects and you don't even look at them in the AHL.

Well they don't have the option to look at them at the AHL unless you are proposing they sit one of the Wranglers (in the midst of a playoff race) to do so?

I'm not saying this is Conroy throwing out previous work, but if he doesn't feel like they were good picks then why keep them around on your reserve list? Start fresh and build with you vision. 

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

So with Whynot and Beck being let go, this ends the Lucic-Neal trade from our end, a trade that flipped in favors a few different times is now in our favor again because Lucic is done and Edmonton has 2 more years of 1.9 million in dead cap space.

Yeah but Looch is going to sign here again I'm sure but for far less I'm sure

8 minutes ago, zima said:

Yeah but Looch is going to sign here again I'm sure but for far less I'm sure

I don't know about that. He did an interview a few days ago with Steinberg in the Doug Lacey Basement Systems Hot Stove Lounge, and I didn't get the impression that it would be a great fit from either side.

That said, he seems like a guy that you'd want to give a job to after his playing days are over.

Love.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Well they don't have the option to look at them at the AHL unless you are proposing they sit one of the Wranglers (in the midst of a playoff race) to do so?

I'm not saying this is Conroy throwing out previous work, but if he doesn't feel like they were good picks then why keep them around on your reserve list? Start fresh and build with you vision. 

I wasn't clear.  I meant sign them and give them some dev time in the AHL.

No worse than signing Phillips to an ELC.

Or Spencer Foo or or or.

I'm not suggesting he was a can't miss prospect, but we have given other deals to players like this.

Perhaps this is just a hangover from the BT days.

BT and Connie would have discussed signing him at some point this year.

And maybe the shared opinion was he (and the others) were failed picks.  Move on.

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Looks like we are losing Beck.

Not sure what the justiifcation is for this.

The stats should have justified a contract.

He has an injury history. I wonder if the medicals factored in. 

Not at all a surprise due to covid, but half of that 2021 draft class didn't even get a contract which is disappointing.

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

I share the pain as I do love to believe in the prospects, but ultimately I support all 5 of these as the right decision 100%, unfortunately including Jack Beck.  

Unfortunate with his health and concussions but he was an extreme outside chance even without them.

Every year I ask why we can't do more PTOs or look at unsigned prospects.   The answer is always the 50 contract limit.

Bottom line:  can you go out right  now amd find unsigned, or undrafted prospects with more value than these 5?

Answer is a clear yes.  It usually is, but especially so after covid.

Gotta make those tough decisions.   Glad they were made.

It's a bit disappointing Beck wasn't signed, but such is life. There was a time 2 short years ago that he looked easily on par with the other OHL Beck.

He was thwarted by bizarre longterm injuries. He's evidence of how fickle it is and sustaining good fortune is everything in just getting a shot. He became a much better distributor this year as he used to just shoot EVERYTHING. He moved from RW to LW due to tdl adds. He's a good player. The biggest problem for me is that he really hasn't added any bulk to his frame at all.

I wish him well, health first and time for life options. The CHL will pay his schooling/continue in hockey. He'll get camp invites for certain, but his health has to come first. If that part has settled, he'll have no problem landing on his feet.

He was a great pick. Bizarre injuries derailed it. It's fleeting. The NHL is like 800 lottery winners worldwide, with another million kids wanting to win the lottery. One hot minute of distraction and the dream is dead.

Mangiapane is almost the poster boy. If not for 1 guy believing in him, it was all over for him.

• Like 1