Jack Beck- 2021 6th rounder

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Nice to hear. Was super disappointing to hear about the injury after the start he had. 

Same. Killed the 67's too. Suspect he'll be awhile getting back up to speed. Flames may want to try to manipulate his summer regime. He was drafted for his scoring potential in a heavily-competitive area of/for drafting.

Hopefully this won't be a massive setback for him, but I'd suspect it's a big one.

Seemed like a health issue, hopefully, for him, it's been solved.

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Becks' been back for 5 games. Held pointless in his first two and now 4 goals (1 into a empty net mind you) and 6 points in his last 3 games.

Good to see.  

Yup. He has a ways to go to see what we have. The midget programs that I'm most familiar with are Toronto's, Detroit's, Minnesota's and Chicago's. And US National of course.

Beck came through the Marlboros, and you don't make that team by accident or because your parents are sponsors.

Very interested to see his progress, but toning down any excitement just yet. It was a bold pick on our part with no viewing last year.

Folks weren't sure he'd even be taken last year. Flames got props for taking him 6th rd. The reward had the potential to be more than the risk. But honestly, for a 6th rder, what's the risk honestly?

Now we wait and try not to overrate like I keep doing with Kerins.lol

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yup. He has a ways to go to see what we have. The midget programs that I'm most familiar with are Toronto's, Detroit's, Minnesota's and Chicago's. And US National of course.

Beck came through the Marlboros, and you don't make that team by accident or because your parents are sponsors.

Very interested to see his progress, but toning down any excitement just yet. It was a bold pick on our part with no viewing last year.

Folks weren't sure he'd even be taken last year. Flames got props for taking him 6th rd. The reward had the potential to be more than the risk. But honestly, for a 6th rder, what's the risk honestly?

Now we wait and try not to overrate like I keep doing with Kerins.lol

I'm just impressed that he started as basically a g/gp player and continued that after a long layoff.

15 goals in 17 games is pretty cool.

Tied for team lead in goals with close to 30 less games played is something to think about.

28 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm just impressed that he started as basically a g/gp player and continued that after a long layoff.

15 goals in 17 games is pretty cool.

Tied for team lead in goals with close to 30 less games played is something to think about.

Same. I'm just trying to low-key not get too excited about prospects.

I read a reddit that hit home.

"What is the one thing a new fan should know about the NHL"?

Best answer: "Every team's fans overrate their prospects". lol

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Same. I'm just trying to low-key not get too excited about prospects.

I read a reddit that hit home.

"What is the one thing a new fan should know about the NHL"?

Best answer: "Every team's fans overrate their prospects". lol

Overrated in their respective league for sure.

I look at the way Pelletier has done well in every league he's played in.

Same is true of Phillips.

But neither of them are NHL players.

Like Gaudreau, they have proved nothing until they go on a streak after the first 5 NHL games.

There are so many prospects that look good in junior or AHL that can never translate to NHL.

And guys that were journeymen in lesser leagues and exploded in the NHL.

I'm just happy to track more than just one player's progress towards the NHL.

Tired of just having (Emile) Poirier and Klimchuk and Agostino and Kulak's.  

• 1 month later...

I wonder what Beck's size is now. I see both 151lbs and 161lbs.

Guessing (19 in a week) he'll be back in the O next year.

I've followed, but no live viewings. OHL is all inter-conference games this year. But by all accounts, kid's got a rifle of a shot.

I believe our Ontario scouts had a very hard sell to the staff to take him. That's becoming a familiar story with our OHL scouting, it seems.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I wonder what Beck's size is now. I see both 151lbs and 161lbs.

Guessing (19 in a week) he'll be back in the O next year.

I've followed, but no live viewings. OHL is all inter-conference games this year. But by all accounts, kid's got a rifle of a shot.

I believe our Ontario scouts had a very hard sell to the staff to take him. That's becoming a familiar story with our OHL scouting, it seems.

There's so many different sources of talent these days.  I don't know how they decide between player W from league X and player Y from league Z.

I wonder if there is a bit of bias with the WHL.  We haven't had anything earlier than a 6th rounder picked from there since Ruzie and Tkachuk.

A lot of WHL and Q league.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

There's so many different sources of talent these days.  I don't know how they decide between player W from league X and player Y from league Z.

I wonder if there is a bit of bias with the WHL.  We haven't had anything earlier than a 6th rounder picked from there since Ruzie and Tkachuk.

Andersson as well off of the top of my head.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

A lot more Q in recent years, an area where I would say the Flames have had the least success over the past 2 decades.  Pelletier looks promising so far and Poirier and Francis could be good picks from 2020, but the 2021 picks from the Q right now are pretty disappointing no word on why Huckins left the team which doesn't seem to promising.

• 2 weeks later...

A good read on Jack Beck, but the biggest nugget is they reveal what sidelines him early in the season. A fairly serious kidney contusion sidelined, and left him almost bedridden too, for those few months.  

Apparently a freak accident. He just took a weird hit in a game. 

• Like 1

All things considered, Beck still managed to put up good numbers:

36 games (30 less that teammates)

22 goals (2nd on team)

22 assists (3rd)

44 points (2nd)

+5 (2nd)

PPG:1.22 (1st, by a lot)

No point extrapolating over a full season as it isn't clear how many games it took him to play at 100% upon returning.

For next year, god willing and the creek don't rise, I'd expect a goal-scoring title.

Luke Evangelista won it this year with 55 goals.

I could see Beck exceeding that number. As pretty bad as they've been this year, they'll have a lot of returnees that were generally high OHL draft picks next year.

See how playoffs vs North Bay go now, but they're going to get waxed.

• 2 weeks later...