Jack Beck- 2021 6th rounder

This guy is probably the most intriguing prospect for me in the organization right now. Drafted in the 6th round but some think he would have gone much earlier if the OHL didn’t cancel their season. Some sneaky offensive ability. 

Nice start to the season here with his first goal. High skilled play. He’s going to be very interesting to track. 

3G, 2A in his 1st 3 games.

I'm with you cross. There was a lot of talk that he was 1 of many OHLers whose stock dropped due to not playing last year. A LOT of OHLers are bound to exceed their draft positions last year. The USHL players really got elevated in this past draft imho.

I'm very interested to see how this particular draft shakes out. I expect major turbulance as the O gets rocking again back to the best of all of the jr leagues. Should be fun.

And happy I'll catch him a few times this year.😃

7 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Well this is really encouraging.   I missed that he missed last year.

I guess that makes for 3 interesting picks last year....their 1st pick and their last 2 :):)

Assume you mean Beck and Arsenii Sergeev.  Ciona was between those two, and I don't think you are including him.

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Assume you mean Beck and Arsenii Sergeev.  Ciona was between those two, and I don't think you are including him.

I stand corrected, yes.   As you've stated.

Not sure how I missed that Beck was out last year.   Full credit to the pick in this case.    We knew there'd be some falling through the cracks from covid and glad we've snagged one of them

16 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Well this is really encouraging.   I missed that he missed last year.

I guess that makes for 3 interesting picks last year....their 1st pick and their last 2 :):)

There's gonna be a lot of them jj. Put it this way, if Zary or Pelletier played in the OHL, they would have been with Stockton all year. The O didn't turn a wheel, so it may be interesting to see how many 19yo's from the O get taken in next years draft.

I may be wrong, but I believe it was this areas Flames scout that told us to take a flier on Beck. I seem to recall that talk. I REALLY feel for all these kids that had zero viewings last year and teams had to rely on their 16-17yo footage.

I'm totally with cross about this prospect. When we selected him, the analysts really liked that we went there.

I kinda like that scouting had to revert to Midget hockey. That's my fave place to start noticing players.

Beck is from the Toronto Marlboros. Always, always a perennially top notch Midget program.

My order of Midget, at least what I get to watch, is:

USNDP U17 - based in Michigan

Shattuck-St. Mary's

Toronto Marlboros

Detroit Little Caesars

Detroit Honeybaked

Chicago Mission

London Jr Knights

Don Mills Flyers

If I missed any, somebody fill me in.

We have A scout here out of Windsor last I checked. To scout all of, at least, these teams. AND the OHL.

I love Midget hockey, it is my fave.They play hard. And the best place to meet the parents. Not hobnob with arrogant scouts. The parents are real. I've met at least a dozen former Olympic athletes that are parents. You won't meet a more humble bunch, just cheering on their kid without thinking everyone is the next Gretzky, as is the case in Canada. They should hire me. lol

I'd crush it.

Beck is still a big maybe pick. The rest is up to him.

Missing a whole yr...thanks covid. But that's a good shot by our scouting, pretty much doing it blind.

Expect a jr ppg guy that has a pretty complete game, or would pound points a lot harder if he weren't pretty well rounded.

That's a solid pick at 6th rd, regardless of how it goes from here. He's got the tools to transition to harder leagues if he wants it badly enough, which is always the problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

There's gonna be a lot of them jj. Put it this way, if Zary or Pelletier played in the OHL, they would have been with Stockton all year. The O didn't turn a wheel, so it may be interesting to see how many 19yo's from the O get taken in next years draft.

I may be wrong, but I believe it was this areas Flames scout that told us to take a flier on Beck. I seem to recall that talk. I REALLY feel for all these kids that had zero viewings last year and teams had to rely on their 16-17yo footage.

I'm totally with cross about this prospect. When we selected him, the analysts really liked that we went there.

I kinda like that scouting had to revert to Midget hockey. That's my fave place to start noticing players.

Beck is from the Toronto Marlboros. Always, always a perennially top notch Midget program.

My order of Midget, at least what I get to watch, is:

USNDP U17 - based in Michigan

Shattuck-St. Mary's

Toronto Marlboros

Detroit Little Caesars

Detroit Honeybaked

Chicago Mission

London Jr Knights

Don Mills Flyers

If I missed any, somebody fill me in.

We have A scout here out of Windsor last I checked. To scout all of, at least, these teams. AND the OHL.

I love Midget hockey, it is my fave.They play hard. And the best place to meet the parents. Not hobnob with arrogant scouts. The parents are real. I've met at least a dozen former Olympic athletes that are parents. You won't meet a more humble bunch, just cheering on their kid without thinking everyone is the next Gretzky, as is the case in Canada.

I believe it and I was originally dissapointed in our draft that we did not find more of them, and that we did not go after more PTOs afterwards.

But on Beck, I stand corrected and I am very interested to see how he does.

Even though he is a LHS winger lol, but, hey.  Don't want to take the Flames too far out of their comfort zone lol.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

They should hire me. lol

I'd crush it.

Beck is still a big maybe pick. The rest is up to him.

Missing a whole yr...thanks covid. But that's a good shot by our scouting, pretty much doing it blind.

Expect a jr ppg guy that has a pretty complete game, or would pound points a lot harder if he weren't pretty well rounded.

That's a solid pick at 6th rd, regardless of how it goes from here. He's got the tools to transition to harder leagues if he wants it badly enough, which is always the problem.

I think you would.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I believe it and I was originally dissapointed in our draft that we did not find more of them, and that we did not go after more PTOs afterwards.

But on Beck, I stand corrected and I am very interested to see how he does.

Even though he is a LHS winger lol, but, hey.  Don't want to take the Flames too far out of their comfort zone lol.

I think you would.

Well you're gonna love this.

Sting goalie Ben Gaudreau.

His only showing last yr was being Canada's U18 goalie.

SJ 3rd rd.

If he actually played more games last year, maybe last yrs best?

I've watched him twice now so far this year.

He's reaaally good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Well you're gonna love this.

Sting goalie Ben Gaudreau.

His only showing last yr was being Canada's U18 goalie.

SJ 3rd rd.

If he actually played more games last year, maybe last yrs best?

I've watched him twice now so far this year.

He's reaaally good.

you're hired

Unfortunate he's just a goalie though.   Maybe there's still time to mould him into a Left Winger.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

8 goals in 8 games, tied for first in goals.

While Kerins tied for 1st in points.

That's kinda fun.

We loves us some 6th rounders or later:

Mangiapane

Phillips - too bad he can't get a gig in the NHL

Wolf (7th)

Kerins

Beck

Sergeev (7th) - good start in the USHL

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Nice article and a little more insight here on Beck.

Interesting to me is 67s have him mostly playing RW to start the season.

https://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/a-hockey-legend-told-him-to-shoot-flames-prospect-jack-beck-is-listening

Nice!

I wonder if it was fellow Sarnian Terry Doran that argued Beck's case.

9 in 9 games now.  The pick we gained from trading down with the pick we received through arbitration for getting rid of the worst contract the teams ever given and taking on a a perceived worse contract.  If Jack pans out we must never forget James Neals great contribution to the Flames, exceeding in his first 2 months as an Oiler.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...