The Unconditional Positivity Thread

conundrumed

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

It's possible that the team has give up on the coach, but I don't think they have given up on themselves.  By itself, a loss like that to COL isn't a big deal.  The problem is you combine it with the way we lost to VGK and the losses to DET etc.  The smart thing to do is trade some players if they have any value out there.  The problem with that is it tells the players the GM has given up the season.  If it's smartly done, then the guys left see it as a chance to win again.

Anyway, good on you for keeping the faith.  The next 2 weeks deicdes our fate.

They sure play hard for someone who's given up on the coach. I don't think it's a case of giving up IMO. 

Trading players or acquiring rentals for the playoffs is part of hockey. It happens all the time. 

Fresh blood can be inspiring for sure. Look how Pelt and Doer effected the team that night. 

I hope there is some trading and renting going on. When is that deadline? 

Yup, March is the last chance for the team. 

nevermissashiftoldschoolplayerbombcomputers

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

They are going to re-tool or rebuild.

Trotz is going to be the GM I understand.

Allways a bridesmaid team, they can't get back to contender status.

Aging stars, stud goalie and aging D (both better than ours)

Jeannot never lived up to last year.

I don't worry about them passing us, since we need to look up, not down.

Like STL they will win some games.

They don't really have much of a chance of playoffs and they get it.

just saying that as a team, if and when the flames were/are in those situations like the Preds that they'd tend to go all-in and be buyers. This is the first year it seems the Flames want to possibly look themselves in the mirror.  
a few years ago I don't waste picks on Forbort and the other D guy.

2 minutes ago, oldschoolplayer said:

If there isn't an aquistion pretty soon it would look like Treliving is dreaming, or there just isn't anybody available who could help improve the team. 

I like some of the suggestions, like trading Lucic, Lewis, Ritchie, Stone, maybe Backlund, Tanev and Zadorov. I'd even add Ruzicka to the list.

there may not be any desire for them, but I'd take whatever they get. And if Lindholm doesn't want to re-sign with the Flames, that's one I see if a team is interested in a big haul for. But maybe it's an off-season deal. 
though, if you trade some of those and keep Lindholm, you can still buy or continue trying to make the playoffs.

Just my slant: I still like Lucic. Lewis gives you all; playoff tenacity. 

Ritchie maybe. 

Stone maybe. 

Backland maybe but he has been scoring some goals lately, and he manhandles prince mcdavid pretty good. 

Tanev is mr dependable. 

Zadorov is playoff style material. 

Lindholm maybe, I don't get what happened to his scoring this year. WTH? He's usually a top notch two way player. He had some trouble against avs last game. 

Who's out there who could improve the scoring for the month of March? Sad that it's come to that. 

48 minutes ago, oldschoolplayer said:

Just my slant: I still like Lucic. Lewis gives you all; playoff tenacity. 

Ritchie maybe. 

Stone maybe. 

Backland maybe but he has been scoring some goals lately, and he manhandles prince mcdavid pretty good. 

Tanev is mr dependable. 

Zadorov is playoff style material. 

Lindholm maybe, I don't get what happened to his scoring this year. WTH? He's usually a top notch two way player. He had some trouble against avs last game. 

Who's out there who could improve the scoring for the month of March? Sad that it's come to that. 

SO, the three you first mentioned were all run over by the Oilers last year.

Not physically, just were exploited.

Do they offer some toughness that we could use in a round?  Sure.

Do they help get us to the playoffs?  Questionable.

Backlund is a 2nd half player.

Lindholm lost all of his effective line, even Monahan is gone.

He's still leading the team.

We may need scoring, but we need guys that don't get scored on.

Not just D and goalies, but players that cover one on one well.

Backlund is good at that, as is Ras.

Taven can be a rock, but like him, Backlund, Lewis, Lucic, Markstrom, they are aging out.

Still have some productive years left, but not maybe enough to re-sign.

If not re-signing, then we have to trade them.

Absolutely useless to let Lucic and Lewis and Ritchie walk if they have some value at TDL.

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

SO, the three you first mentioned were all run over by the Oilers last year.

Not physically, just were exploited.

Do they offer some toughness that we could use in a round?  Sure.

Do they help get us to the playoffs?  Questionable.

Backlund is a 2nd half player.

Lindholm lost all of his effective line, even Monahan is gone.

He's still leading the team.

We may need scoring, but we need guys that don't get scored on.

Not just D and goalies, but players that cover one on one well.

Backlund is good at that, as is Ras.

Taven can be a rock, but like him, Backlund, Lewis, Lucic, Markstrom, they are aging out.

Still have some productive years left, but not maybe enough to re-sign.

If not re-signing, then we have to trade them.

Absolutely useless to let Lucic and Lewis and Ritchie walk if they have some value at TDL.

I don't fully disagree with anything you said there. I hope there are a couple of aquistions before TDL that might help change the color of things. 

I especially agree with the need for effective two way players. The bottom line this year though is forgetting how to finish. Outshooting opponents 2,3,4, almost 5 to 1 most of the games, and not finishing the opportunities! I can't let it frustrate me too. 

Close only counts in horseshoes and regulation time. Nice comeback. 

Those guys gotta have a move for the goalie. I think Dube likes Toffoli's change up shot. I described it before, you telegraph your shot to the near side and the goalie gets set, then half way through your shot you deliver it to the other side. Goalies can't move that fast. 

7 hours ago, oldschoolplayer said:

Those guys gotta have a move for the goalie. I think Dube likes Toffoli's change up shot. I described it before, you telegraph your shot to the near side and the goalie gets set, then half way through your shot you deliver it to the other side. Goalies can't move that fast. 

Gotta have a move for the goalie. Leading the league in shots is fantastic! Gotta have a move for the goalie. Even if it's the same move, even if it's the same move over and over and over. 

Waiting for the next game. 

7 hours ago, oldschoolplayer said:

We have 2 on 1's and breakaways and still fail to score.

But this game was all about the goalie stealing it.

Best game of year for Flames against the NHL's best team. They[Boston] are on the way to set a record for most games won in a season... ever.

We deserved 2 points with that effort....

If we play up to that intensity for remainder of season,  mother luck will reward us with the goals we need to make the playoffs.

Bring on the Leafs......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

We have 2 on 1's and breakaways and still fail to score.

But this game was all about the goalie stealing it.

a couple 2on1s they didn't even pass it once ie. Kadri shoots

a breakaway and no move, just another shot. 

Yes Ullmark played great, maybe the reason the Bs are doing so well this season? 

1 minute ago, oldschoolplayer said:

a couple 2on1s they didn't even pass it once ie. Kadri shoots

a breakaway and no move, just another shot. 

Yes Ullmark played great, maybe the reason the Bs are doing so well this season? 

The hesitation I see regularly does goalies a favor by letting them get set up. Hube and Pelt's goal was the kind of quickness that delivers. Hoping to see more of that. Maybe Pelt is going to be the first one to 'understand' Hube. You got to be quick and ready for anything at anytime from Hube! 

As frustrating as this season has been, if Calgary had even gotten league average goaltending this year they are in a playoff spot.

As much as I think they need to change the coach, I don’t think the disappointment of this season squarely falls on his shoulders.

Markstrom has been flat out awful all season and Vladar hasn’t been much better. I also don’t disagree with Sutter saying they need Markstrom to get hot down the stretch, and that he will be getting majority of the games.

19 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

As frustrating as this season has been, if Calgary had even gotten league average goaltending this year they are in a playoff spot.

As much as I think they need to change the coach, I don’t think the disappointment of this season squarely falls on his shoulders.

Markstrom has been flat out awful all season and Vladar hasn’t been much better. I also don’t disagree with Sutter saying they need Markstrom to get hot down the stretch, and that he will be getting majority of the games.

League average goaltending would have neutralized some of the ill effects of not finishing... and those wins would have contributed to more confidence and finishing. They would definitely be in a playoff spot. 

JTech, I agree with all 3 of your paragraphs except I am still a Sutter fan. 

Vladar had a chance to prove himself more than once and didn't come up big either. Yes, it's Markstrom's place to get hot! 

7 minutes ago, oldschoolplayer said:

League average goaltending would have neutralized some of the ill effects of not finishing. They would be definitely in a playoff spot. 

JTech, I agree with all 3 of your paragraphs except I am still a Sutter fan. 

Vladar had a chance to prove himself more than once and didn't come up big either. Yes, it's Markatrom's place to get hot! 

I think the finishing issues are a little overblown. They are in the middle of the pack offensively, that’s about where this team should be.

5 minutes ago, oldschoolplayer said:

Ya but they have got to be in the upper end of shots. It's frustrating and hexing to regularly only sink 1 in 20 shots. 

That has more to do with Sutter’s system. They are near the top in shots, but near the bottom in shots from the slot. Meaning majority of their shots are coming from the outside. Sutter is going for quantity over quality, so on paper it looks like they are generating lots of chances, which they are it’s just they are low quality chances.

28 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That has more to do with Sutter’s system. They are near the top in shots, but near the bottom in shots from the slot. Meaning majority of their shots are coming from the outside. Sutter is going for quantity over quality, so on paper it looks like they are generating lots of chances, which they are it’s just they are low quality chances.

I notice that. I see them pass it to the boards when they could shoot from the slot, and they need to go for the net more. 

44 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

We seem to pass from the slot to the side.

Guy streaking down the center, then passes it to the wing who is at a bad angle.

Very few are one-timers.  If so, the goalie has enough time to prepare.