The Sutter Impact

kehatch

8 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

4 forward lines seems so old fashioned when special teams now a days makes or breaks a season..I prefer a top 9 forward list.. of which we are in pretty darn good shape.. withMonahan/Gaudreau/ Tkachuk/Backlund/Coleman/Lindholm/Mangiapane and Dube.. this leaves one spot open int he top 9 and Lucic/Pitlick/Richardson/ Ritchie and Lewis fighting for 2 or 3 openings on Special teams.. The Defence of Tanev/Hanafin..Anderson/Zadorov and Valamaki/Stone isn.t horrible with Gudbranson  backing them up.. with maybe one more of the 30 other dmen we have on payroll.. 

It's not though and it's been a problem. Having a solid bottom 6 helps allocate ice time better without overplaying your top 6. I don't agree with 4th line players, "don't move the needle". They do it in nearly every playoff series I watch.

I'm not quiet in promoting that I like the offseason moves. It can't be understated that Lewis is constantly named the players' choice of the underrated MVP on teams he's played for due to his tireless work ethic. Something our team seems to be lacking.

We had a lot more issues than just needing new stars. I like the, "first things first" approach.

16 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

4 forward lines seems so old fashioned when special teams now a days makes or breaks a season..I prefer a top 9 forward list.. of which we are in pretty darn good shape.. withMonahan/Gaudreau/ Tkachuk/Backlund/Coleman/Lindholm/Mangiapane and Dube.. this leaves one spot open int he top 9 and Lucic/Pitlick/Richardson/ Ritchie and Lewis fighting for 2 or 3 openings on Special teams.. The Defence of Tanev/Hanafin..Anderson/Zadorov and Valamaki/Stone isn.t horrible with Gudbranson  backing them up.. with maybe one more of the 30 other dmen we have on payroll.. 

7 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It's not though and it's been a problem. Having a solid bottom 6 helps allocate ice time better without overplaying your top 6. I don't agree with 4th line players, "don't move the needle". They do it in nearly every playoff series I watch.

I'm not quiet in promoting that I like the offseason moves. It can't be understated that Lewis is constantly named the players' choice of the underrated MVP on teams he's played for due to his tireless work ethic. Something our team seems to be lacking.

We had a lot more issues than just needing new stars. I like the, "first things first" approach.

Must roll 4 lines in an 82-game season... And those back to back games.  The regular season is about endurance and stamina.

Even in the playoffs, our 4th line and D are now built to bruise the other team and that's something that's been lacking.  Can't imagine VGK or EDM being excited to face us in the playoffs.  Our division is so weak that I think we can make the playoffs.

16 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

op 9 forwards on their game. .We have 5 players in the bottom three spots that are all basically 

Must roll 4 lines in an 82-game season... And those back to back games.  The regular season is about endurance and stamina.

Even in the playoffs, our 4th line and D are now built to bruise the other team and that's something that's been lacking.  Can't imagine VGK or EDM being excited to face us in the playoffs.  Our division is so weak that I think we can make the playoffs.

well I certainly see where you are in thinking this .. I prefer to roll three lines consistently.. keeping the the top 9 forwards in the game.. We have 5 players listed that are in the aged/slow footed/ banger category that can share ice time or fill in for injuries .. We still have one opening in the top nine that needs filling.. In my estimation

3 minutes ago, Horsman1 said:

well I certainly see where you are in thinking this .. I prefer to roll three lines consistently.. keeping the the top 9 forwards in the game.. We have 5 players listed that are in the aged/slow footed/ banger category that can share ice time or fill in for injuries .. We still have one opening in the top nine that needs filling.. In my estimation

That'll be Pitlick on Backlund's right wing. Sound defensively, solid, fast and physical on the forecheck, can add 10-15 goals. 13-15mins/gm.

On 9/23/2021 at 2:08 PM, conundrumed said:

That'll be Pitlick on Backlund's right wing. Sound defensively, solid, fast and physical on the forecheck, can add 10-15 goals. 13-15mins/gm.

my third line would be Backlund with mangiapane and Dube .. gaudreau/monahan/tkachuk/lindholm and Coleman on the top two lines.. If Mangiapane is moved up to play with Jonny and Monny.. then yes,, Pitlick would replace him on Backlunds line.. But.. really.. a good top team would have mangy playing his proper spot as left wing in the third line but we are still missing a quality top line right winger or center

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That's only 5 on your top 2...

6 hours ago, conundrumed said:

yup.. I said above we are still missing a top 6 forward.. however.. On Gaudreau and Monahans presser today.. sounds like they weren't much in favor o.f Tkachuk or Lindholm but liked chemistry they have with Mangiapane.. But I still prefer him with Dube and Backlund on the third line

3 hours ago, Horsman1 said:

yup.. I said above we are still missing a top 6 forward.. however.. On Gaudreau and Monahans presser today.. sounds like they weren't much in favor o.f Tkachuk or Lindholm but liked chemistry they have with Mangiapane.. But I still prefer him with Dube and Backlund on the third line

It's hard for Johnny to answer the question any other way with Monahan sitting right there next to him.  He can't say he prefers Tkachuk and Lindholm.  But he did say he wants to see lines stay together for longer stretches to build chemistry.

Sounds like Mangiapane is moving to RW with Gaudreau-Monahan.  Not sure I'm in favour of moving Mangiapane on RW but will have to see how it plays out.  I would prefer Mangiapane on his strong side.  I mean, these guys play their entire hockey life on their strong side and then at the highest level of hockey, is asked to move over and keep the same production or better.  It's not always that simple.

Another interesting note from the presser, Gaudreau was asked about his contract and Gaudreau replies, "it's between his agent and Tre for the rest of the YEAR.". Wut whole year?  So he pretty much plans to walk to UFA... In which case, we can't risk that...

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/gaudreau--monahan-230921/t-277437092/c-9006605

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It's hard for Johnny to answer the question any other way with Monahan sitting right there next to him.  He can't say he prefers Tkachuk and Lindholm.  But he did say he wants to see lines stay together for longer stretches to build chemistry.

Sounds like Mangiapane is moving to RW with Gaudreau-Monahan.  Not sure I'm in favour of moving Mangiapane on RW but will have to see how it plays out.  I would prefer Mangiapane on his strong side.  I mean, these guys play their entire hockey life on their strong side and then at the highest level of hockey, is asked to move over and keep the same production or better.  It's not always that simple.

Another interesting note from the presser, Gaudreau was asked about his contract and Gaudreau replies, "it's between his agent and Tre for the rest of the YEAR.". Wut whole year?  So he pretty much plans to walk to UFA... In which case, we can't risk that...

Clearly, this is a case of the Flames needing more LWers.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Lets not blow up a word in a quote from one of the worst speakers on the team Eric.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Well, they are going with the most effective pair from 2 years ago with a dynamic player that elevates two players he plays with.

They are also loading up Tkachuk with an effective RW, to replace Dube.

Last year, Tkachuk and Lindholm did pretty well before Johnny played with them.

And Tkachuk has put up pretty stellar numbers playing on LW.

Gaudreau is adept enough to swap places with Mangiapane in the O-zone.

I like when Gaudreau is on the off-wing, as it opens up the ice for him.

The other thing is that Monahan had started noticing the effects of the injury 6 games into last season.

The big advantage for these two lines is that each has a defensively sound player on it.

As far as the presser, what is he supposed to say.  He is not talking about it.  It's a distraction that he faced with his last negoitiation.

No matter when he signs, they will keep asking him questions about it.

"You are the highest payed player, do you feel that your current performance should be better?".

"It's January and you haven't signed.  Do you expect to be traded at TDL?"

"Have you directed your agent to take a hometown discount?".

Bla, bla, bla....

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Oh our bastion of negativity. God help you if Monahan matches Scheifele numbers again. He had 7 pts in the first 5 last year and said by about game 6 it was affecting him. He was clearly being honest, stop crucifying the guy.

#donttrademonahan,lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Oh our bastion of negativity. God help you if Monahan matches Scheifele numbers again. He had 7 pts in the first 5 last year and said by about game 6 it was affecting him. He was clearly being honest, stop crucifying the guy.

#donttrademonahan,lol

Hehe, is that trending?

10 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Can't really drawn that conclusion. This is standard speak at the beginning of the year, both sides come out and say they won't talk about it as they don't want it to be a distraction. Most of the time the deal ends up getting done, they are just trying to stop the media from asking about it everyday. 

The fact that both sides want this to go away actually tells me they are on some common ground. probably some major details to be worked on but I think there would be more being said about it if they were miles apart. I get the satisfaction in Tre is low but I also don't believe for a second he is comfortable with letting Gaudreau walk for nothing. Would be pretty out of character. 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

#donttrademonahan,lol

You are a lot of fun right now because you veer on both sides of the road.  Mad at the Flames, mad at the rebuilders.....

And...if Head scout, angry at scouts....

I like it.  A lot.  lol.     You have my vote for head scout

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well, they are going with the most effective pair from 2 years ago with a dynamic player that elevates two players he plays with.

The other thing is that Monahan had started noticing the effects of the injury 6 games into last season.

The big advantage for these two lines is that each has a defensively sound player on it.

As far as the presser, what is he supposed to say.  He is not talking about it.  It's a distraction that he faced with his last negoitiation.

"You are the highest payed player, do you feel that your current performance should be better?".

Bla, bla, bla....

Ya his contract is going to be a distraction whether we all want it to be or not.  He's our most dynamic forward so it comes with the territory.  Obviously, he's banking on having a career year and top 100-points so he can negotiate with leverage.  He'll want Monahan at 100% understandably... and he speaks of a consistent RW so he really wants to build that chemistry, at least for this season.

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Bla, bla, bla....

I get that they have the previous chemistry, I just think that they’ve been stopped in the past as well. How will they fair 5vs5 is the big question mark for me. On the PP, I can see them getting points. If they can start scoring at even strength again and start maintaining zone time, that is what we need to see. They’ve not been a good 5 on 5 line for more than the year Of  Monahan’s injury. 

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

We needed a heavier team. Johnny and Mony were always the focus of abuse, 2 best O guys. Maybe start protecting them.

I like this plan.

protect them with Mangiapane! 

ok, I guess you can play them with Zadorov and Gudbranson… but then, they’re on the backend. Who will protect them from the other wing?

10 hours ago, jjgallow said:

You are a lot of fun right now because you veer on both sides of the road.  Mad at the Flames, mad at the rebuilders.....

And...if Head scout, angry at scouts....

I like it.  A lot.  lol.     You have my vote for head scout

I think he’d have advocated to draft Point at the time, or was that Tmac? But regardless, I think it was Con-man who said he thought the Flames had Point in their backyard and a scout told him teams should be getting him right away. So, there’s that! We could use another freshen up in the scouting ranks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Ya his contract is going to be a distraction whether we all want it to be or not.  He's our most dynamic forward so it comes with the territory.  Obviously, he's banking on having a career year and top 100-points so he can negotiate with leverage.  He'll want Monahan at 100% understandably... and he speaks of a consistent RW so he really wants to build that chemistry, at least for this season.

it could be good to have that need, but I also remember during that last negotiation, didn’t he start a bit slow that year? A bit of a distraction for him. Maybe I am thinking the Tkachuk contract signing, as he started slow then too, i think miffed Tkachuk got more…