NHL Playoffs - Comments?

Montreal is clearly the underdog, that we know.  

But you really have to hand it to Carey Price.   

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/9368/carey-price

Look at his playoff save percentage in the last 10 years, and especially the last 5.

Mind-numbingly consistent above .93

He clearly wants it bad and has wanted it for a while.

If there was an award for the best goalie in the world Not to have won a cup....

I know the odds.  He might need to bump that up to .95 in the finals.   But I'm chearing for them to pull it off somehow.

11 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I know the odds.  He might need to bump that up to .95 in the finals.   But I'm chearing for them to pull it off somehow.

Considering that Varly took NY to game 7 and managed to only give up one goal there, Price may have enough.

For obvious reasons, I can’t stand TB. They even made me hate them more with the cap circumvention crap they pulled with Kucherov this year. I pretty much despise the habs as well, and given the realignment of divisions, I never thought I’d be in a position to choose between these 2 teams. 

I realized today that my hate for Tampon Bay is greater. Go Habs. 🤢

I call it the curse of Vancouver riots.  '94 Canucks lose game 7 and riot and a 10 year cup finals drought begins for Canadian teams.  Flames break the drought winning the Campbell trophy in 6 games in 2004, meanwhile Tampa wins the Wales in 7 games after dropping game 6 in OT.  Nothing more to say about that year, but Canadian teams make the finals a few more times in the next 7 years capped off by the Canucks in 2011 who lost in game 7 again and continued their tradition of rioting after game 7 losses.  Another 10 year drought begins for Canadian teams and ends with Montreal winning the Campbell trophy in game 6, meanwhile Tampa wins the Wales in 7 after losing game 6 in OT.  My advice to Montreal fans, don't get your hopes up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

I call it the curse of Vancouver riots.  '94 Canucks lose game 7 and riot and a 10 year cup finals drought begins for Canadian teams.  Flames break the drought winning the Campbell trophy in 6 games in 2004, meanwhile Tampa wins the Wales in 7 games after dropping game 6 in OT.  Nothing more to say about that year, but Canadian teams make the finals a few more times in the next 7 years capped off by the Canucks in 2011 who lost in game 7 again and continued their tradition of rioting after game 7 losses.  Another 10 year drought begins for Canadian teams and ends with Montreal winning the Campbell trophy in game 6, meanwhile Tampa wins the Wales in 7 after losing game 6 in OT.  My advice to Montreal fans, don't get your hopes up.

Expect some new controversy to happen during a game that will decide the winner.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:26 AM, sak22 said:

The Vancouver rioting is pretty bad.  As a Canadian I like to cheer for Canadian teams in the playoffs and I'm willing to be pretty flexible in the playoffs but Vancouver just makes it hard.   For what they like to be conveyed as...Canada's evolved, enlightened coastal city, they sure just look like a bunch of animals when they don't get their way and the thing about the riots is it's not one or two bad apples, it's thousands of degenerates uniting to embarass our country.

I'm not one for Montreal politics or politics in general but I can put that all aside to at least cheer for the Canadians.

Are they likely to win?   Well if that kind of thing bothered me I wouldn't have followed the Flames so long.

On 6/28/2021 at 7:02 PM, lou44291 said:

For obvious reasons, I can’t stand TB. They even made me hate them more with the cap circumvention crap they pulled with Kucherov this year. I pretty much despise the habs as well, and given the realignment of divisions, I never thought I’d be in a position to choose between these 2 teams. 

I realized today that my hate for Tampon Bay is greater. Go Habs. 🤢

my bro calls them Tampax Bay! lol 

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2021 at 8:40 AM, jjgallow said:

The Vancouver rioting is pretty bad.  As a Canadian I like to cheer for Canadian teams in the playoffs and I'm willing to be pretty flexible in the playoffs but Vancouver just makes it hard.   For what they like to be conveyed as...Canada's evolved, enlightened coastal city, they sure just look like a bunch of animals when they don't get their way and the thing about the riots is it's not one or two bad apples, it's thousands of degenerates uniting to embarass our country.

I'm not one for Montreal politics or politics in general but I can put that all aside to at least cheer for the Canadians.

Are they likely to win?   Well if that kind of thing bothered me I wouldn't have followed the Flames so long.

Problem is, not to say ones who joined in weren’t wrong, the media played up the possibilities of a riot for weeks. It’s all I heard leading up to game 7. They had weapons on them, like crowbars and stuff. 

Then, on the day of game 7, guys who weren’t hockey fans came into the downtown core specifically to start them. 

I was working at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre that night and just before the game ended they started. I could see smoke from my work station/bar across the theatre all the way through the windows of another station… Eventually I watched all the cars that were set on fire in the parking lot across the street from my station. 

I don’t think it was started by fans, but they definitely got involved too. It was a bit scary watching it. 

although, I did see a Canuck fan maul a guy from behind who was just walking out of the stadium holding hands with his women-friend. He just so happened to have a Wild jersey on. Best game I ever watch live… wild came back to knock the Knuckleheads out of the playoffs! 

I guess in the end, canucks fans are perfectly capable of doing that. I also don’t think the people you’re referring to actually like hockey. 

my partner came to a game with me and said it was too violent and she couldn’t ever watch another game, asking how anyone could bring their kids. There are Douche Bags here too. I think every city has them.

• Like 1

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/tampa-bay-mayor-rooting-for-montreal-canadiens-to-win-game-4-of-stanley-cup-final-1.5496757

I am with Jane, I'd like to see Montreal win tonight lol.

Even though the chances of a series upset are 0.1%, it would be absolutely amazing if the Canadians won the cup and people referred back to this as the turning point lol

11 hours ago, jjgallow said:

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/tampa-bay-mayor-rooting-for-montreal-canadiens-to-win-game-4-of-stanley-cup-final-1.5496757

I am with Jane, I'd like to see Montreal win tonight lol.

Even though the chances of a series upset are 0.1%, it would be absolutely amazing if the Canadians won the cup and people referred back to this as the turning point lol

Kek the karma.

I still believe the Lightning in 5 though.  They hit the post so many times in Game 4, they should've had it.  

Last time a city won two championships in their home building in the same calendar year was 1938.  Crazy times to be a Tampa fan right now definitely envious, but also bitter as I've watched 2 of my favorite teams lose championships in that city.  I guess the bonus to Tampa winning in Tampa is it leaves the Flames as the only visitor to win a cup in Montreal.

7 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Last time a city won two championships in their home building in the same calendar year was 1938.  Crazy times to be a Tampa fan right now definitely envious, but also bitter as I've watched 2 of my favorite teams lose championships in that city.  I guess the bonus to Tampa winning in Tampa is it leaves the Flames as the only visitor to win a cup in Montreal.

The odds are pretty stacked that Tampa wins in Tampa.

1/3 of winning in MTL.

Would prefer to see them completely blow it, even though I detest MTL.

I detest TBL much more.

On 7/6/2021 at 11:17 AM, travel_dude said:

The odds are pretty stacked that Tampa wins in Tampa.

1/3 of winning in MTL.

Would prefer to see them completely blow it, even though I detest MTL.

I detest TBL much more.

Well, it's official

for the record I can't think of a Stanley Cup final people cared less about.

Also for the record, I detest Tampa just as much.

All the same, hats off to them.

53 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Well, it's official

for the record I can't think of a Stanley Cup final people cared less about.

Also for the record, I detest Tampa just as much.

All the same, hats off to them.

The west was not exactly a bunch of great choices this year.

Vegas, WPG, MTL.

COL was the team that should have been playing for the cup.

Would have been far more interesting.

And I'm not a big fan of them.

Kadri cost another team a chance to move on?

10 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The west was not exactly a bunch of great choices this year.

Vegas, WPG, MTL.

COL was the team that should have been playing for the cup.

Would have been far more interesting.

And I'm not a big fan of them.

Kadri cost another team a chance to move on?

allow me to put my tin foil hat on...

It should be noted that NONE of those teams were as bad a choice as MTL.

Was officiating  a factor that lead to such a lop-sided final?   I would say yes.  My theory kind of fell apart though when MTL beat Vegas.   I didn't see that coming.  Maybe the NHL didn't either.

Was never less interested in a Stanley Cup finals than I was this year, which is really too bad becuase Tampa is probably the best hockey team we've seen since the Hawks. Between the pace of game (too many teams clogging it up) and the awful officiating it just lead to some really slow and uninteresting hockey. NHL has a problem on their hands with their playoff officiating that should be priority 1 (well 2 once they actually investigate the Blackhawks) but I highly doubt they will care about it and they'll try and claim their officials are the best. 

• Like 1

Sometimes, going all the way to the Finals and then losing could be the worst thing that ever happens to a team.  Like, '04 Flames.  You get this false sense of security and confidence that is somewhat unwarranted.  

Had the Habs missed the playoffs this season like they were supposed to, then surely Bergevin would've been fired (and rightfully so).  I still think he should get fired.  The Habs are missing 3 to 4 pieces that cannot be attained unless they blew it up and started from scratch.  It will be interesting to see if the Habs start trading away 1st round picks to add their missing piece thinking they could win it all in the next 2 years.  

31 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sometimes, going all the way to the Finals and then losing could be the worst thing that ever happens to a team.  Like, '04 Flames.  You get this false sense of security and confidence that is somewhat unwarranted.  

Had the Habs missed the playoffs this season like they were supposed to, then surely Bergevin would've been fired (and rightfully so).  I still think he should get fired.  The Habs are missing 3 to 4 pieces that cannot be attained unless they blew it up and started from scratch.  It will be interesting to see if the Habs start trading away 1st round picks to add their missing piece thinking they could win it all in the next 2 years.  

Soooo...so true.   Completely agree.

I do think the Flames were legitimately in a better position in 2004 than the Habs are now, but we weren't in a place where we should have been burning picks.

On the flip side, if they do start burning through picks, they'd make a great trading partner lol

22 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Soooo...so true.   Completely agree.

I do think the Flames were legitimately in a better position in 2004 than the Habs are now, but we weren't in a place where we should have been burning picks.

On the flip side, if they do start burning through picks, they'd make a great trading partner lol

kek 100%... Looking at their capfriendly, I think they could use a Johnny Gaudreau for their 2022 1st round pick.  Habs are prime candidate to miss the playoffs after teams go back to their divisions/conference.  Expectations are so high for Bergevin to repeat.  This would be the perfect trap to lay on the Habs as they miss the playoffs and the Flames could get an extra lotta pick to add to their own.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

kek 100%... Looking at their capfriendly, I think they could use a Johnny Gaudreau for their 2022 1st round pick.  Habs are prime candidate to miss the playoffs after teams go back to their divisions/conference.  Expectations are so high for Bergevin to repeat.  This would be the perfect trap to lay on the Habs as they miss the playoffs and the Flames could get an extra lotta pick to add to their own.

Well then they'd be a lock for the cup....

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

My fear here is that the Flames ownership group is looking closely at the Habs success, and are feeling validated in their assertion that, "All you need to do is get in!"

Love.

• Like 2