NHL Playoffs - Comments?

8 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Canadiens proving BT/Owners get inthe playoffs and anything can happen approach.....

I think the difference is that they probably work harder than the other teams. Hard work beats skill if the skill isn't willing to work hard. And the Flames skill doesn't have the will to work hard. So I agree with you, that anything can happen, but then the anything has to work to get it done. The Flames didn't show up for 2/3rds of the season, and that goes for most of the playoffs in the last 2-3 rounds they've played in. They've shown up, approximately, 3 games in the last two or three playoff years.

The word in the media is that the Canadiens played all lines rolling and going. When have we ever had that as a team? Maybe 1-2 games per year? We had that in game 6 vs the Stars last year, for one period, then Satoshi Nakamoto the bed the rest of the game.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I think the difference is that they probably work harder than the other teams. Hard work beats skill if the skill isn't willing to work hard. And the Flames skill doesn't have the will to work hard. So I agree with you, that anything can happen, but then the anything has to work to get it done. The Flames didn't show up for 2/3rds of the season, and that goes for most of the playoffs in the last 2-3 rounds they've played in. They've shown up, approximately, 3 games in the last two or three playoff years.

The word in the media is that the Canadiens played all lines rolling and going. When have we ever had that as a team? Maybe 1-2 games per year? We had that in game 6 vs the Stars last year, for one period, then Satoshi Nakamoto the bed the rest of the game.

A bit on the fortunate side.  No Tavares for most of the Leafs series and no Scheifele for most of the Jets series.

I don't mean this to sound like i'm taking something away from the Canadiens, because ultimately you have to play well to get this far and they have been playing a pretty suffocating style in the playoffs. That being said I agree that they are bolstering the idea of "get in a see what happens" because as much as they are playing well in certain facets, both teams they have played against put some pretty bad hockey on the ice. The Jets just never seemed into the series at all and it was made worse by Scheifele's suspension. There is a large part of randomness in the playoffs, and right now it's really playing in the Habs favor. But at the same time, they are seizing it.  

I don't think the "let's just get in and anything can happen" approach is a successfully team building approach but I believe is is a factual mantra. It gets proven basically every year. Having said that I am still not in favor of the Flames using that to justify a tinkering approach. 

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't mean this to sound like i'm taking something away from the Canadiens, because ultimately you have to play well to get this far and they have been playing a pretty suffocating style in the playoffs. That being said I agree that they are bolstering the idea of "get in a see what happens" because as much as they are playing well in certain facets, both teams they have played against put some pretty bad hockey on the ice. The Jets just never seemed into the series at all and it was made worse by Scheifele's suspension. There is a large part of randomness in the playoffs, and right now it's really playing in the Habs favor. But at the same time, they are seizing it.  

I don't think the "let's just get in and anything can happen" approach is a successfully team building approach but I believe is is a factual mantra. It gets proven basically every year. Having said that I am still not in favor of the Flames using that to justify a tinkering approach. 

I'm actually happy we didn't get in this year, because we might have beaten Toronto and put up a good show against Winnipeg.

I don't think CGY, MTL or WPG would stand a chance in the semis.

So, the randomness of us winning 2 more games and getting in, only to lose in round 2 or 3, would have resulted in a worse situation for the GM.

Possibly thinking we were a move away.

At least by missing, we will see some identification of inherent problems.

Perhaps a few knee-jerk decisions, but they were probably a long time coming.

They might seem that they were as a result of this season only.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm actually happy we didn't get in this year, because we might have beaten Toronto and put up a good show against Winnipeg.

I don't think CGY, MTL or WPG would stand a chance in the semis.

So, the randomness of us winning 2 more games and getting in, only to lose in round 2 or 3, would have resulted in a worse situation for the GM.

Possibly thinking we were a move away.

At least by missing, we will see some identification of inherent problems.

Perhaps a few knee-jerk decisions, but they were probably a long time coming.

They might seem that they were as a result of this season only.

Agreed.    Plus, I think getting into the playoffs is starting to slip away from us as a realistic outcome with this core.

One thing Winnipeg needs to work on is they need to become a big market team that Bettman and the referees like.   Montreal's really good at this.

They're not good at much else though.

Sucks for the Jets.  Lost Scheifele to injury last playoff/playins against the Flames where they were arguably the better team.  Then didn't have him again this series against the Habs.  Hard to win without your best player two years in a row.

PLD was horrible.  It's either bad hockey sense or a lack of effort defensively.  I'm really glad the Flames didn't get him for Monahan + Hanifin because we would be no better off with him.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

PLD was horrible.  It's either bad hockey sense or a lack of effort defensively.  I'm really glad the Flames didn't get him for Monahan + Hanifin because we would be no better off with him.

I'm starting to think his value is Monahan alone.

Coaching has been an issue for PLD over his career.

Torts, now Maurice.

Not saying he's been good at all, just that I think you have to break him down to the basic skills and build him back up.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

If the other team's best player gets injured all the way to the Cup win, then ya.  In that regards, sure anything can happen.

Round 1 - knee to Nylander

Round 2 - careless hit to Scheifele

Round 3 - Nate trips over Gaudreau and breaks his kneecap

Round 4 - Barzal loses it over a Tkachuk hit and gets suspended

Just now, travel_dude said:

I'm starting to think his value is Monahan alone.

Coaching has been an issue for PLD over his career.

Torts, now Maurice.

Not saying he's been good at all, just that I think you have to break him down to the basic skills and build him back up.

PLD just doesn't look around and almost doesn't take defending seriously.  If he was an offensive force then you can forgive these kinds of things but he is not generating offense and he's not shutting down the other team.  Not sure what he is.  Just a floater.  Monahan is much better in his own zone than PLD.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

PLD just doesn't look around and almost doesn't take defending seriously.  If he was an offensive force then you can forgive these kinds of things but he is not generating offense and he's not shutting down the other team.  Not sure what he is.  Just a floater.  Monahan is much better in his own zone than PLD.

Might as well just keep Monahan unless something really good comes along.

Funny how he is listed as a LW.

He seemed to have no clue how to play it.

In absence of an Eichel trade, perhaps it makes sense to swap Monahan for Reinhart.

Still need a top 6 RW.  Maybe 2.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-RW

Mangiapane-Reinhart-RW

Does a Tkachuk get you two top 6 RW?

6 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Might as well just keep Monahan unless something really good comes along.

Funny how he is listed as a LW.

He seemed to have no clue how to play it.

In absence of an Eichel trade, perhaps it makes sense to swap Monahan for Reinhart.

Still need a top 6 RW.  Maybe 2.

Gaudreau-Lindholm-RW

Mangiapane-Reinhart-RW

Does a Tkachuk get you two top 6 RW?

Yes for sure if I had to choose between Monahan and PLD, then I'll just keep Monahan. 

11 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Agreed.    Plus, I think getting into the playoffs is starting to slip away from us as a realistic outcome with this core.

One thing Winnipeg needs to work on is they need to become a big market team that Bettman and the referees like.   Montreal's really good at this.

They're not good at much else though.

JJ you do make me laugh

f995c5f54dbe0da76136e02bc6d3c2d4.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Well the Isles threw out a near perfect game!!

Gotta keep that up.

I enjoyed watching the NY Yankees of hockey humbled.

Amazing how his surgery timing and recovery timeline allowed them to re-sign Cirelli.

Would have been impossible had the LTIR not been available.

Even more amazing is that his recovery matched the cap relaxing for the playoffs. 

Damn, rough game for Pelech, thought he shoulda been benched after running Point into Varlamov. But no, continued relentlessly turning the puck over in his own end.

Turning into a great series.

The 4 remaining teams have the best goalies in the league. Great bounce-back year for Varlamov.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I didn't watch a single Habs game this playoffs.  My guess is they lose to whoever advances from the other side.

One thing consistent with both semi final series.

Reffing has been bad.

A tin foil hat person might suggest Bettman wanted Tampa-VGK in the finals.

Ya the downside is while the Habs are playing a very strong team game there is zero excitement level to any series they've been in and they are really riding the atrocious playoff officiating we are seeing. I have not been more surprised at a team making the finales since the Canes in 2002. 

I don't mean that as disrespect, this is the NHL and as much as talent is paramount it's still a league that if you get hot at the right time, get a few bounces your way you can ride it for a while. They deserve credit for their execution level and their coaches deserve a ton of credit. Their game planning is fantastic. 

At the same time, they could miss the playoffs next year and I would not at all be shocked. It's quite a run they are on here. 

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Ya the downside is while the Habs are playing a very strong team game there is zero excitement level to any series they've been in and they are really riding the atrocious playoff officiating we are seeing. I have not been more surprised at a team making the finales since the Canes in 2002. 

I don't mean that as disrespect, this is the NHL and as much as talent is paramount it's still a league that if you get hot at the right time, get a few bounces your way you can ride it for a while. They deserve credit for their execution level and their coaches deserve a ton of credit. Their game planning is fantastic. 

At the same time, they could miss the playoffs next year and I would not at all be shocked. It's quite a run they are on here. 

They are playing the exact way we couldn't.

Vegas would have been a challenging series for us, but I don't think we would have any chance.

We might have beaten WPG.

Or we might have beat Toronto.

I just don't see our team as capable of playing the way you need to to have any kind of run.

Sacrificing for the team.

Doing everything it takes.

6 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

They are on such a roll. Kinda like the Kings that just snuck into the dance and then won it all

the thing about the Kings that snuck in though, at the beginning of that year they were picked to win it all and started off the year poorly. They had to come back.