NHL Playoffs - Comments?

1 hour ago, Heartbreaker said:

My fear here is that the Flames ownership group is looking closely at the Habs success, and are feeling validated in their assertion that, "All you need to do is get in!"

Love.

Does anyone truly believe that MTL even had a shot?

The Habs are not the only example of the get in and see what happens, they are just the most recent. Dallas last year, St Louis, Vegas, Flames, Oilers…. The list goes on. 

It’s a parity based league and hockey always has, and imo always will, have a lot of randomness built into it. I don’t think the just get in and see philosophy will ever go away and it’s not just the Flames that will operate this way. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

The Habs are not the only example of the get in and see what happens, they are just the most recent. Dallas last year, St Louis, Vegas, Flames, Oilers…. The list goes on. 

It’s a parity based league and hockey always has, and imo always will, have a lot of randomness built into it. I don’t think the just get in and see philosophy will ever go away and it’s not just the Flames that will operate this way. 

It's what makes the whole thing fun.  I think 30 years of mostly disappointment has many jaded on that philosophy and even the playoffs in general, but those 30 years the Flames were on the other end of that spectrum quite a bit.  Even 1989, they were pushed to the brink of elimination by a team with 43 less points in the first round, then play the 6th worst team in the league in the conference championships.  The NHL basically going head to head with the NBA playoffs should be a dream for the NHL in attracting the gamblers, the NBA has had very few 8's win in the first round, where the NHL has one almost every 2 years, occasionally 2 in one year.

I think the whole, "just get in philosophy" isn't a real team goal.  I think it gets thrown out when the team is either struggling to get in or misses by a little.  Its just a message to try and calm the masses who want a complete coaching and management shakeup and roster overhaul, but I believe the team wants a top seed and more potential home dates.  The areas where I think the ownership gets unfair criticism on here are for accepting mediocrity or the team only needs to make the playoffs.  If those were the case Playfair doesn't get demoted after one year, Keenan doesn't get fired after getting to the playoffs two straight years.  This is a team that once couldn't pay their franchise player 5 million a season, but has paid 6 million over 4 years for Troy Brouwer to not play for them.  They want to win, they've just made some really poor decisions along the way, but it's not an easy league if it was then 30+ year droughts wouldn't be common, but they are.

• Like 1