Calgary Flames 20/21 Roster and Lines

JTech780

8 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Look, Milan isn’t a wordsmith. In most of his interviews he throws an incorrect word but you get the gist of what he’s saying. To be honest, my opinion of his quote is that he misused the word “achievements”. So, from my perspective, I understood him say that certain players didn’t align with the goals of the team. They found it more important to do what they wanted to do despite the direction the team wanted to go. That is a disconnect any way you look at it, and I’m with you that those players need to go. 

That's the problem with saying things like that.  Johnny's dad will read it and rag him out about it.  And personally, I don't even think he's talking about Gaudreau; I think he's referring to Tkachuk.  Would this point to the dispute about the puck flip?  Maybe.  Tkachuk says a lot of things and he might sound like he wants to lead this team to victory.  By that alone, he didn't live up to it.  You probably can think of a couple of incidents where his lazy play resulted in a EN or game losing goal.  I have no issue calling out that kind of crap.  

51 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

That's the problem with saying things like that.  Johnny's dad will read it and rag him out about it.  And personally, I don't even think he's talking about Gaudreau; I think he's referring to Tkachuk.  Would this point to the dispute about the puck flip?  Maybe.  Tkachuk says a lot of things and he might sound like he wants to lead this team to victory.  By that alone, he didn't live up to it.  You probably can think of a couple of incidents where his lazy play resulted in a EN or game losing goal.  I have no issue calling out that kind of crap.  

I just don’t see how anyone was playing for individual stats. I guess it’s why nearly the whole team looked discombobulated? I guess he’s saying that when you don’t get guys playing as a team or for each other? To me that is a whole other meaning.

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I just don’t see how anyone was playing for individual stats. I guess it’s why nearly the whole team looked discombobulated? I guess he’s saying that when you don’t get guys playing as a team or for each other? To me that is a whole other meaning.

That's more what I took from it.  He also brought up the mindset they created in Boston back in '07 and how that continues there to this day.  Didn't really say much to drag on the group but I figured that quote would rattle some feathers of his detractors.  I honestly liked it as opposed to the "things just didn't go our way" quotes from everyone else.  The guy knows a little more about winning in this league than the rest of them.

9 minutes ago, sak22 said:

That's more what I took from it.  He also brought up the mindset they created in Boston back in '07 and how that continues there to this day.  Didn't really say much to drag on the group but I figured that quote would rattle some feathers of his detractors.  I honestly liked it as opposed to the "things just didn't go our way" quotes from everyone else.  The guy knows a little more about winning in this league than the rest of them.

Exactly.

I'd put more behind one quote from him than all the other rehashed soundbites from most of the rest, mgmt and staff included.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

That was exactly my point.  I read what he said and I couldn't get it.  I read it the way he said, not what he didn't say.

If you don't have a goal scorer trying to score, you don't win anything.

Maybe he was saying that nobody had Tkachuk's back when he flipped out.

The result being Tkachuk started playing for himself, not doing things for the team.

Between the legs crap.

Sure, if that's what he meant.

Or maybe he was talking about Gio, saying that Gio wanted PP time to pad his stats.

Get more minutes.

Get goals and assists.

I doubt it, but it's possible.

ANyway, I'm done with it.  Hhis comments are no better than Gio or Tkachuk sound bites, unless you know the context.

20 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

https://thewincolumn.ca/2021/05/21/calgary-flames-2021-fourth-quarter-offensive-report-cards/

Final quarter reports for the players.

At this point its pretty fair to say Mangiapane is one of our most important pieces, and easily our best 5v5 forward.

This also shows how good the top line was past just the eye test.

Also shows that perhaps we started seeing the buy in to Sutters system.  

But I cannot see BT staying pat and giving this lot another chance.    I think he gave them some rope after the bubble but he has got to be seen to do something this off season.   Not sure how deep it will go though.

2 hours ago, Sarasti said:

https://thewincolumn.ca/2021/05/21/calgary-flames-2021-fourth-quarter-offensive-report-cards/

Final quarter reports for the players.

At this point its pretty fair to say Mangiapane is one of our most important pieces, and easily our best 5v5 forward.

This also shows how good the top line was past just the eye test.

2 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Also shows that perhaps we started seeing the buy in to Sutters system.  

But I cannot see BT staying pat and giving this lot another chance.    I think he gave them some rope after the bubble but he has got to be seen to do something this off season.   Not sure how deep it will go though.

The last 14 games mean very little to me.  We have a chance and blow 3 of 5, 2 of which were to MTL.

We played better in garbage games.  Most of those against VAN.

Mangiapane is a non-starter in any trade talk.  Beyond that, there is a little that should not be on the table.

And considering his comments, I think they are going to make hard decisions.

I just hope they are the right ones and that we go after players that make this a better team. 

On 5/22/2021 at 11:00 AM, travel_dude said:

The last 14 games mean very little to me.  We have a chance and blow 3 of 5, 2 of which were to MTL.

We played better in garbage games.  Most of those against VAN.

Mangiapane is a non-starter in any trade talk.  Beyond that, there is a little that should not be on the table.

And considering his comments, I think they are going to make hard decisions.

I just hope they are the right ones and that we go after players that make this a better team. 

Fair enough, and I agree. 

This just shows that despite being semi-retired since his LA days, Sutter-style hockey can still be effective in today's game. LA had very strong advanced stats during his tenure.

Change is needed for sure and watching some of the teams in this year's post-season I wholly believe we need some size in the forward corps, and not strictly big bodies but guys that can skate and fill a role as well.

11 hours ago, Sarasti said:

Fair enough, and I agree. 

This just shows that despite being semi-retired since his LA days, Sutter-style hockey can still be effective in today's game. LA had very strong advanced stats during his tenure.

Change is needed for sure and watching some of the teams in this year's post-season I wholly believe we need some size in the forward corps, and not strictly big bodies but guys that can skate and fill a role as well.

Change is needed and inevitable.

I liked the way they were starting to play near the end, even though I hated the results and questio how much it really meant.

Garbage games or not, they played like they were trying to get in the playoffs.

There has to be a balance of Sutter hockey and scoring hockey.

We just don't have the structure to win a lot of 2-1 games.