Calgary Flames 20/21 Roster and Lines

JTech780

46 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Yet Stone and Nesterov stay in the lineup...?

No complaints about Gio or Ras's skating or decision making?

Valimaki's most consistent partner was Nesterov.

I'm not saying Sutter is wrong in his assessment, but every D-man on this team would struggle with a partner like that.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Yet Stone and Nesterov stay in the lineup...?

Sutter didn’t say that Nesty and Stone are better, but in my opinion he is not worried about their development into elite NHL defensemen. Val on the other hand can be an elite NHL dman but needs to put in the work and improve those areas of his game. I wish he could go to the AHL this year, it would do wonders for him.

4 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

Sutter didn’t say that Nesty and Stone are better, but in my opinion he is not worried about their development into elite NHL defensemen. Val on the other hand can be an elite NHL dman but needs to put in the work and improve those areas of his game. I wish he could go to the AHL this year, it would do wonders for him.

How is supposed to improve while sitting in the press box?

He can go to the AHL, but he is too good for the AHL, he would dominate and would get very little development from the experience. It would be better than sitting in the press box though.

1 minute ago, JTech780 said:

How is supposed to improve while sitting in the press box?

He can go to the AHL, but he is too good for the AHL, he would dominate and would get very little development from the experience. It would be better than sitting in the press box though.

I liked him spending some time in the press box, I was surprised it has been this long. If he’s not getting regular minutes I think he should go to the AHL and dominate, play big minutes in all situations and round out his game.

• Like 1

Is dominating at a lower level worse for development than getting steamrolled at a higher one? I'd argue it's better; you can focus on certain areas more without severe consequences. Let's say coaches want you to work on your breakout passes; at the AHL level you can do that because you have more time to make decisions and practice that play, while at the nhl level things are much faster and you may have to operate more on instinct and habit. Additionally, when you make mistakes at the AHL level you are more able to recover rather than getting your teeth kicked in, so your mistakes are not as costly and your confidence doesn't crater (so long as coaches point those mistakes out and they don't become bad habits).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ABC923 said:

Is dominating at a lower level worse for development than getting steamrolled at a higher one? I'd argue it's better; you can focus on certain areas more without severe consequences. Let's say coaches want you to work on your breakout passes; at the AHL level you can do that because you have more time to make decisions and practice that play, while at the nhl level things are much faster and you may have to operate more on instinct and habit. Additionally, when you make mistakes at the AHL level you are more able to recover rather than getting your teeth kicked in, so your mistakes are not as costly and your confidence doesn't crater (so long as coaches point those mistakes out and they don't become bad habits).

The NHL isn't a development league for sure.  Every young D-man is prone to mistakes.  Pairing them with aging marginal players isn't good for their play.

We don't have a single D-man that hasn't made glaring mistakes like Valimaki.  This is too much like Kylington.  The guy was waived and played for a few games.

His mistakes have been not as blatant, and we have only lost 1 game with him in the lineup (beatdown by EDM).

It benefits neither player to sit on the taxi squad.  They practice with the team with no chance to change opinions.  They get no game action.  Neither is any worse than Nesterov or Stone.   

1 hour ago, ABC923 said:

or work on speed? I always felt he looked a touch slow but made up for it in iq. I also think that a player needs reps to stay affective at puck handling, passing and shooting. 

with Benny, I feel his skills have deteriorated before our eyes because of less ice time, less reps with the puck and less in game experience. 

send Valamaki down, get him working on everything they think he needs to improve. Develop him!

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

or work on speed? I always felt he looked a touch slow but made up for it in iq. I also think that a player needs reps to stay affective at puck handling, passing and shooting. 

with Benny, I feel his skills have deteriorated before our eyes because of less ice time, less reps with the puck and less in game experience. 

send Valamaki down, get him working on everything they think he needs to improve. Develop him!

Valimaki is effortless like JBow.  Never looks like he is playing fast even when he is.

I think he second guesses himself the same way Kylington does.

You make a mistake, you are coming out.

Can't fly the zone with the puck because your partner is a fool.

I'm not saying he's perfect, just that he's closer to top 4 than either of the fools that are playing.

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Valimaki is effortless like JBow.  Never looks like he is playing fast even when he is.

I think he second guesses himself the same way Kylington does.

You make a mistake, you are coming out.

Can't fly the zone with the puck because your partner is a fool.

I'm not saying he's perfect, just that he's closer to top 4 than either of the fools that are playing.

yup! I agree with you, but for me, you play the hell out of a young player to keep the tools sharp. Work on parts of the game that need it and he comes back to the NHL a complete D. 

• Like 1

If that’s sutter’s attitude, which I 100% disagree with, then I think Valimaki should for sure go to the AHL. Far better to have him play than sit. 

From top to bottom this organization is a real mess right now. I’m getting pretty worried there are some very, very dark years coming. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

If that’s sutter’s attitude, which I 100% disagree with, then I think Valimaki should for sure go to the AHL. Far better to have him play than sit. 

From top to bottom this organization is a real mess right now. I’m getting pretty worried there are some very, very dark years coming. 

to me, there’s been a slight glimmer of hope but still pretty dark the past 3-4 years. This looks uglier as they’ve just not picked up some game breakers. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't know how we got to this in such a short time.

2 years ago, it was a setback in the playoffs.

2 years in a row of mid-season coaching changes.

So little has really changed (head coaches, a few players gone).

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I don't know how we got to this in such a short time.

2 years ago, it was a setback in the playoffs.

2 years in a row of mid-season coaching changes.

So little has really changed (head coaches, a few players gone).

was it really a setback in the playoffs though? Peters was already calling out the team by Christmas that year. And not much changed after they and it actually got worse. Records will say otherwise, and I get why a lot were optimistic, but I saw the trend that year too, even when they were winning. 

34 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Swap Tanev for Kylington and..

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Ha ha.  Then again, I don't see Kylington as being as much a liability.

I might consider this, based on playing minutes at even strength:

Hanifin-Ras

Valimaki-Tanev

Gio-Kylington

FFS, get Stone and Nesterov out of the lineup.

As far as the forward line?  I'm okay with each line.  I worry less with the top line with Gaudreau up there and Lindholm having the chance to finish.

The Monahan line has at least one guy that can finish.  

Nordstrom has been one of the best F's in the last few games; where did he come from?

Ricthie or Leivo.  Really doesn't matter.

As far as guys playing on the weekend?

Sit out Ryan, Leivo, Rittich, Nesterov, Stone.  

Play Bennett to raise his stock a bit.

The sitting guys held out to keep healthy enough to trade.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I really like these lines, though I hope they don't work as we need to keep pace with Ottawa who lost again last night.

It begs the question, what the F took so long.

I actually like the D pairs.

Stone is what he is, so I'm not expecting much.

It's either him or Kylington.

I'm interested to see if Dube has an impact of Monahan.  Mangiapane is going to be what he always is, so I'm wondering if Dube will get to fly a bit.

I almost expect the top line to be used in less dump and chase and more speed on the rush.  Two sneaky players there.

With Lucic, there's not a lot you can do to improve the line.

Backlund has to play his normal game and Nordstrom has to forecheck to keep the other teams from getting out.

The 4th line is going to take penalties.

Not much you can do about that.  At least Ritchie hits the net and Bennett has a good defensive game (at times). 

This is a learning and assesment  for Sutter as well. He rolls 4 lines so really trying to balance out the ability to attack with all lines. Frnkly its to lste for me these last few games are try outs for next season. Those staying will be sent home with a demanding agenda for the off season to be prepared for next one 

It will be interesting to see if Calgary does a paper transaction to send Dube and/or Valimaki to Stockton so they are eligible to play for Stockton at the end of the season. They have to be on the roster today to be eligible to play for Stockton the rest of the way.

17 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It will be interesting to see if Calgary does a paper transaction to send Dube and/or Valimaki to Stockton so they are eligible to play for Stockton at the end of the season. They have to be on the roster today to be eligible to play for Stockton the rest of the way.

The AHL schedule finishes before the NHL one by nearly two weeks.

If not traded and we have no intention on playing him, I would like to see Kylington sent to the AHL.

Same is true of guys like Robinson, Petrovic.

I suppose we have to keep a minimum players on the taxi squad, but what use is Robinson here?

Petrovic provides a veteran presence on the Heat.