Calgary Flames 20/21 Roster and Lines

JTech780

So barring any other moves this how I see the lineup going into next season.

Gaudreau-Bennett-Tkachuk

I think the top line needs a big shakeup let's see what Bennett can do with two elite wingers. He can gain the blueline so it will be harder to key on Gaudreau, he can also hunt pucks in the corners.

Mangiapane-Monahan-Lindholm

Mangiapane is turning into a puck possession beast, this will help Monahan.

Lucic-Backlund-Dube

This line will be very good in their own zone and should be able to push back against any line.

Kirkland-Ryan-Gawdin

Kirkland has size and is physical, I think he gives you exactly what you need on the 4th line at league minimum.

Rinaldo would be the extra forward, not a fan but as the 13th forward at league minimum I can live with it, he is good in the room.

Giordano-Andersson

The two best defensenen on the team.

Hanifin-Tanev

Tanev is a better skater than Hamonic so hopefully he helps Hanifin more than Hamonic did.

Valimaki-Kylington

Kylington claims to like playing on his off side and Valimaki is going to be really good.

Alex Petrovic is the 7th defenseman, league minimum, RHS, good size, can play physical.

Markstrom

Rittich

Should be one of the best tandems in the league.

• Like 1

I like your idea of shaking things up but there is no way they put Bennett on the top line while playing Tkachuk on his off wing.

We need to think about a few things. Sure JH has said he wants to be in Calgary long term lately, but he and any player would say that anytime they are under contract. There is even more of a chance he goes closer to home with the addition of covid now being a factor. We are seeing alot more players signing there new deals closer to home.

We should be focusing on how to keep Tkachuk happy. He can easily be our next captain. We should be giving him first line minutes with line mates that will help him succeed.

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mange            This is close to the Backs line from last year with just a extra touch of offense

Johnny - Mony - Backlund                This to me is the closet you get to having Lindholm still on this line. I get Backs on the wing                                                              is odd but could work.

Dube - Bennett - Ryan                      This line is just energy in a bottle while giving Bennett his chance to center a line with a                                                                    good amount of talent.

Lucic - Gawdin - Buddy                     This to me supports Lucic while being a hard group to play against.

I say an interview a few weeks back where Conroy was hinting at Lindholm on the top line centering. Also a few people in these forums have been saying that Bennett has asked to go back to center because he isn't comfortable on the wing.

We could get a little more offense out of Backs if he has less responsibility. (maybe) Might not work.

Many are sure to just hate this but I just see balance.

Bennett is on a contract year and I think he deserves to get his chance to center for a season.

Backs is good a shutting guys down and may make JH a little more responsible, but they would still be great.

You gotta stop thinking about Lucic and his contract and play him like a fourth liner because he is.

Mony and JH are awesome together but I still see Tkachuk as the best player to lead us into the future and Lindholm is looking to be better than Mony at creating. If we are not going to go out and get a true #1 C we can see if Lindholm can handle it.

• Haha 1

As for D we can all have a mix of lines but if we look close we should be pairing Valamaki with a vet. I am certain in my mind...lol that Tanev was brought in to play with Valamaki for the foreseeable future as long as they work.

I now people are gonna hate this but I think Andersen boosted Hannifins play a bit last year and they start out together.

Here come the pitch forks. Gio play less minutes and if we don't sign another RD he will be mentoring next year.

3 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

I like your idea of shaking things up but there is no way they put Bennett on the top line while playing Tkachuk on his off wing.

We need to think about a few things. Sure JH has said he wants to be in Calgary long term lately, but he and any player would say that anytime they are under contract. There is even more of a chance he goes closer to home with the addition of covid now being a factor. We are seeing alot more players signing there new deals closer to home.

We should be focusing on how to keep Tkachuk happy. He can easily be our next captain. We should be giving him first line minutes with line mates that will help him succeed.

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mange            This is close to the Backs line from last year with just a extra touch of offense

Johnny - Mony - Backlund                This to me is the closet you get to having Lindholm still on this line. I get Backs on the wing is odd but could work.

Dube - Bennett - Ryan                      This line is just energy in a bottle while giving Bennett his chance to center a line with a good amount of talent.

Lucic - Gawdin - Buddy                     This to me supports Lucic while being a hard group to play against.

I say an interview a few weeks back where Conroy was hinting at Lindholm on the top line centering. Also a few people in these forums have been saying that Bennett has asked to go back to center because he isn't comfortable on the wing.

We could get a little more offense out of Backs if he has less responsibility. (maybe) Might not work.

Many are sure to just hate this but I just see balance.

Bennett is on a contract year and I think he deserves to get his chance to center for a season.

Backs is good a shutting guys down and may make JH a little more responsible, but they would still be great.

You gotta stop thinking about Lucic and his contract and play him like a fourth liner because he is.

Mony and JH are awesome together but I still see Tkachuk as the best player to lead us into the future and Lindholm is looking to be better than Mony at creating. If we are not going to go out and get a true #1 C we can see if Lindholm can handle it.

They tried Backlund on the wing it didn't work very well. 

From the times they have tried Lindholm in the middle I wasn't very impressed, I they should keep him on the wing.

If they are looking to change things the most likely lines will be:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Mangiapane

Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

Rinaldo-Ryan-Robinson

I just don't see Ward as being a creative thinker.

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

From the times they have tried Lindholm in the middle I wasn't very impressed, I they should keep him on the wing.

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

Rinaldo-Ryan-Robinson

You are probably right. I just think if Bennett plats center next year Ryan plays the wing because they seem to be high on Gawdin when we returned to play before he got injured. I also think Rinaldo may play a few more game this year but that left side will see Lucic on the fourth line most of the year.

54 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

Rinaldo-Ryan-Robinson

I don't see Lucic with Bennett as a full time thing.

I don't mind the top 6 though.

I would lean towards doing something better with the bottom 6.

??-Bennett-??

Lucic-Gawdin-Phillips

The ?? is fitting Dube in with a UFA/traded for player.

Lucic should be 4th line.

Give him some young players that can score.

Extra minutes on the PP, perhaps.

First order of business, clear some salary.

Ryan- seems to be the obvious move. Should be a market there for him

Rittich- I'd be less inclined to do it because if Markstrom gets hurt, Rittich can give you solid goaltending in spurts. CHI and BUF could be landing spots though.

RFA's

Mangiapane signs for 2 years between 2.6-2.8

Kylington and Gawdin sign for their QO.

Lines if Ryan is traded

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm

Tkachuk-Backlund-Mangiapane

Lucic-Bennett-Dube

?-Gawdin-Phillips

Rinaldo

Giordnao-Tanev

Hanfin-Andersson

Valimaki-Kylington

Markstrom

Rittich

I'd play Gio with Tanev. I liked Hanifin-Andersson and want to see that continue, if Hanifin is still around...

If Rittich is traded, I am not comfortable with Domingue backing up. I'd sign Dell or even Jimmy Howard to a cheap deal to compete with Domingue for the backup role. 

I have to say I am surprised at people including Rinaldo as a regular player.

That makes me sad to think he's considered anything more than a grit piece, the kind you roll out 10-15 games per year.

And I'm not even sure I agree with that idea.

Lucic really should be part of a 4th line that can forecheck and retrieve, with some scoring thrown in.

Bennett should be played with guys that set him up for success, not injury due to playing an intense playoff-style game.

Dube is the right player.  Lucic is not; should be a decent RW.

I’m thinking:

Lucic /Monahan/Gaudreau - not the best situation but, first we are paying Lucic like a top 6 so play him in it, also he could open the ice for both Mony and JG, it could also bring him back to life, he did well when he was with some talent of Bennet and Manji so he could actually rebound..it’s a risky move but, Ming and JG are still the key tandem so that should offset the risk plus the added punch on lines 2 and 3 may help take the heat off the top line so the opponents need to worry about the other lines and could open thin line more..kInda have a 1-2-3 punch no way a team can shut down 3 lines? 

Tachuck/Bennet/Lindholm- this is a second line but I think Tachuck and Bennet could both benefit from Lindholm and more so Bennet, A’s Lindholm can play Ctr it takes some pressure off Bennet and just let him develop, it also gives him some talent for once, so if ever he was to develop this would be the opportunity for him.

Manj/Backlund/Dube - I see this as a 2B line because, Backlund can cover the possession and defensive responsibility while these two spark plugs go to work on the Ozone and just be a nightmare in the other teams zone.

kirkland/Ryan/Gadwin - same as everybody else, it’s basically Ryan’s line just give him what you can and he will take care of the rest.

Rino -Spare stands to reason.

on D I’m liking:

Valimaki/Anderson- the future top pair might as well get them going now!

Hanifin/Tanev - Same reason everyone else, makes sense Tanev can skate and move the puck and also a defensive sound D, may open Hanifin to open up and become more offensive like he was envisioned to be.

Gio/Kylington - Gio has lost a step but can mentor Kylington, who say he likes playing his off wing, maybe Gio can develop Kylington into a Brodie type ish?

in net it’s self explanatory lol!

It’s a bit different but could work very well, but I will say it’s a bit risky on a few fronts, but the biggest being it could expose a few players as being not as good as everyone thinks and this dropping their trade value (Bennet, JG etc) if this fails horribly. However it it fails, we would be going into a full rebuild a year or two early and probably a top 5 pick so not bad, cause we will really know where things stand with this team...problem is it would force the rebuild and issue out this year...other combos would mask it...but if it works, then we would be taking a huge step forward like the Avs, Stl etc did a few years ago 

8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

So barring any other moves this how I see the lineup going into next season.

Gaudreau-Bennett-Tkachuk

I think the top line needs a big shakeup let's see what Bennett can do with two elite wingers. He can gain the blueline so it will be harder to key on Gaudreau, he can also hunt pucks in the corners.

Mangiapane-Monahan-Lindholm

Mangiapane is turning into a puck possession beast, this will help Monahan.

Lucic-Backlund-Dube

This line will be very good in their own zone and should be able to push back against any line.

Kirkland-Ryan-Gawdin

Kirkland has size and is physical, I think he gives you exactly what you need on the 4th line at league minimum.

Rinaldo would be the extra forward, not a fan but as the 13th forward at league minimum I can live with it, he is good in the room.

Giordano-Andersson

The two best defensenen on the team.

Hanifin-Tanev

Tanev is a better skater than Hamonic so hopefully he helps Hanifin more than Hamonic did.

Valimaki-Kylington

Kylington claims to like playing on his off side and Valimaki is going to be really good.

Alex Petrovic is the 7th defenseman, league minimum, RHS, good size, can play physical.

Markstrom

Rittich

Should be one of the best tandems in the league.

You have been reading my posts, lol. I am in full agreement that a line of tkachuk - Benny - JH should be a thing. We can argue which LW should be moved to the offwing, but both wingers have the hockey iq to move to either side. And all this time I thought we wouldn’t agree on things

Ok so I’m thinking maybe just maybe, BT could have some room to move Hanifin for some RW help...

it kinda depends but may very well work out just fine, anyone have a read on Yelesin? Is he NHL ready?  If so he could pair well with Kylington, we know he’s definitely ready, it’s a bit risky but it could Very well open lots of new look d options:

Gio/andsrson

Valimaki/Tanev 

Kylington/Yelesin 

or

Valimaki/Anderson

kylington/Tanev 

Gio/Yelesin 

or 

Valimaki/Anderson 

gio/Tanev 

Kylington/Yelesin 

trade Hanifin for a soild RW? 

I have said this in a number of threads and I will say it again here. Why the insistence on trading Hanifin? Valimaki has all of 26 games of sheltered NHL experience. He has all of 6 points in the NHL and is coming off a serious injury. Should he be in the NHL? The answer is most likely yes. Has he proven that he is better than Hanifin? Not even close. Kylington is not better than Hanifin and has not earned enough trust from coaches to be a full time player let alone the GM who got 2 D men at the TDL to play instead of him. Hanifin signed a very team friendly contract for solid term and can handle top 4 just fine. If Valimaki proves to be better next season, Hanifin will still be easy to move. Even then, if Hanifin improves, Valimaki shows solid then maybe Giordano is odd man out.

There is no reason to move Hanifin, even for a RW unless there is a guarantee you can replace him internally. At this time there is a hope, but no guarantee. Don’t forget, Hanifin is only 23 and his prime years are still ahead.

There are other players who can be moved that are more easily covered, even in UFA than a proven top 4 D in order to save cap. Ryan or Bennett (3/4 C at 3.1 and 2.5 million respectively) are easier replaced. I don’t believe moving Bennett is correct because finally being in a position he is comfortable with, I believe he will show improvement this year, but 3/4 C is easier to replace than top 4 D.

Moving Hanifin now would be bad asset management. Wait until Valimaki proves himself, then consider whether you trade Hanifin or Giordano, not before.

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

I have said this in a number of threads and I will say it again here. Why the insistence on trading Hanifin? Valimaki has all of 26 games of sheltered NHL experience. He has all of 6 points in the NHL and is coming off a serious injury. Should he be in the NHL? The answer is most likely yes. Has he proven that he is better than Hanifin? Not even close. Kylington is not better than Hanifin and has not earned enough trust from coaches to be a full time player let alone the GM who got 2 D men at the TDL to play instead of him. Hanifin signed a very team friendly contract for solid term and can handle top 4 just fine. If Valimaki proves to be better next season, Hanifin will still be easy to move. Even then, if Hanifin improves, Valimaki shows solid then maybe Giordano is odd man out.

There is no reason to move Hanifin, even for a RW unless there is a guarantee you can replace him internally. At this time there is a hope, but no guarantee. Don’t forget, Hanifin is only 23 and his prime years are still ahead.

There are other players who can be moved that are more easily covered, even in UFA than a proven top 4 D in order to save cap. Ryan or Bennett (3/4 C at 3.1 and 2.5 million respectively) are easier replaced. I don’t believe moving Bennett is correct because finally being in a position he is comfortable with, I believe he will show improvement this year, but 3/4 C is easier to replace than top 4 D.

Moving Hanifin now would be bad asset management. Wait until Valimaki proves himself, then consider whether you trade Hanifin or Giordano, not before.

I don't agree here. Now i'm not suggesting they need to move him but they should absolutely be looking into it. Hanifin still seems to have buzz around the league that there is more to his game and a breakout is possible. If that is the case then the Flames should be trying to capitalize on that hype because one more year of just settling into a good but not great top 4 dman likely means his value is lower next year. Again it doesn't mean you need to move him our should but looking into moving him is not bad asset management at all if you get a team to pay the right price. 

Waiting another year I think will hurt his value especially if teams see Valimaki passing him. They'll know the Flames are in a bind and when that happens you don't get life preservers thrown your way....

1 hour ago, bosn111 said:

I would add that moving Hanifin might get you a top 6 player in return.

Bennett is playing with Dube and Lucic, which is fine for playoff style hockey, but is not maintainable for 82 games.

It would be better to have Bennett and Dube play with another offensive player, hopefully a RW.

You get a top 6 RW and you can use him with Bennett or in the top 6 (Mangiapane slots with Bennett then).

Why I am thinking Hanifin is a good spot to rob from is due to having LD depth right now.

Gio, Valimaki, Mackey and Kylington.

Really we would need to bring in a RD anyway, unless the team was comfortable with Kylington or Mackey on the right side.

To me, it makes sense to have Valimaki play with Tanev and Ras with Gio.

If we keep Hanifin, then Tanev plays with Gio, which is not the best pair choice in my mind.

I could be wrong there.

For me right now it's hard to draw up lines until the off season is over as I'm not a believer the Flames want to be done. They might end up being done but that remains to be seen.

the only thing I'm thinking right now in terms of line is the Flames need to go into camp with Johnny and Mony on separate lines and they need to stick with it for all of camp, pre season and the first games of the season. 

What that exactly looks like will be determined by the off season but it 100% needs to be the plan. 

2 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

If we’re leaning towards trading Hanifin, what if we did a trade with NYR, for rights to Deangelo and Strome? 
or because they already filed for arbitration, they are not available in a trade? 

You seem stuck on Strome for some reason.

Remember he did play in EDM, right?

On a team without Panarin, he looked pedestrian.

Not saying he's a bad player, just nothing more than we have in Ryan.

I'm not trading Hanifin for Strome.

If you think to what we paid, we gave up Ferland and a bit of Dougie's value for him.

Keep Hanifin, if that's the best you can get.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

You seem stuck on Strome for some reason.

Remember he did play in EDM, right?

On a team without Panarin, he looked pedestrian.

Not saying he's a bad player, just nothing more than we have in Ryan.

I'm not trading Hanifin for Strome.

If you think to what we paid, we gave up Ferland and a bit of Dougie's value for him.

Keep Hanifin, if that's the best you can get.

I actually don’t like Strome, I was hoping he would be a bit of a poor mans lindholm, lol. I also included deangelo in the trade. Who is a good power play quarterback (which we need). 
The guy I really like is Gauthier. 

Where's everyone at with the D pairings?

Top 4 is likely set, the 3rd pair is where things are interesting. I'd run with a Valimaki-Kylington pair, although some feel the Flames should explore a more veteran option to play along side Valimaki. 

Up front, I think Gawdin is making the team, it's a matter of his role though. If Ryan is traded, he's a C if not he's an RW. I think Philips also has a shot at making the team.

13 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Top 4 is likely set, the 3rd pair is where things are interesting. I'd run with a Valimaki-Kylington pair, although some feel the Flames should explore a more veteran option to play along side Valimaki. 

Up front, I think Gawdin is making the team, it's a matter of his role though. If Ryan is traded, he's a C if not he's an RW. I think Philips also has a shot at making the team.

They still have to sign Kylington if they are going that route.

According to Cruickshank in an Athletic article we are at 18 signed with 3.3M left in cap space to sign 4/5 more so I can see them going with Yelesin/Petrovic if they want a RD but could also seem them give Mackay a go.

Unless we make moves to free up cap space they are going to have to go with 22 players and the last 4 that make it need to be close to league minium.

14 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think you go

Gio-Anderson

Hanifin-Tanev

Valimaki-Kylington

As or today I think that’s the best balance. Both of the top 4 pairings can handle tough competition and d zone stars so I’d like to see Ward use that balance and not use one heavily in either direction. I think having Valimaki on your 3rd pair means you won’t have to heavily shelter that pairing. 

but I’m also wondering if this d core is set. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think you go

Gio-Anderson

Hanifin-Tanev

Valimaki-Kylington

As or today I think that’s the best balance. Both of the top 4 pairings can handle tough competition and d zone stars so I’d like to see Ward use that balance and not use one heavily in either direction. I think having Valimaki on your 3rd pair means you won’t have to heavily shelter that pairing. 

but I’m also wondering if this d core is set. 

I would worry about the skating and foot speed of the first pairing now that Brodie is gone. Ras is very good but skating would be his biggest shortcoming and we've all seen Gio get burned which has resulted in sometimes dangerous penalties. Hanifin is a great skater but is prone to some bone headed decisions, hopefully being with Tanev will help him improve as was with Ras.  On the bottom right I think it will be either Petro or Yelesin as I think Kylington is going to be a part of a future deal.