Calgary Flames 20/21 Roster and Lines

JTech780

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

in the game day thread, TD mention that we can’t worry about getting Bennett going, need to keep on what’s working. But I think you so need to get Bennett going, but also Backlund, Ryan, Lucic, Simon, Nordstrom and Mangiapane - have to get them all going in the “bottom 6.” It is dragging down the rest of the team.

I know the reasons why and the things we could have done, but honestly it's up to Bennett to actually do something.

Passing plays not working, go hit someone.

Linemates useless, dump it in and go get the puck.

Shots not coming, go fight your way to the front of the net.

Not getting offense, perfect your shot blocks.

Simmonds is about as useless as they come but he scores goals by not being the man.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I know the reasons why and the things we could have done, but honestly it's up to Bennett to actually do something.

Passing plays not working, go hit someone.

Linemates useless, dump it in and go get the puck.

Shots not coming, go fight your way to the front of the net.

Not getting offense, perfect your shot blocks.

Simmonds is about as useless as they come but he scores goals by not being the man.

Well ya, but Simmonds also needed someone to get him the puck there. That was just as much him moving as it was getting the pass there. And the mistake at the blueline on that play. Have other teams made those mistakes around Bennett? But I get what you're saying, and sure he needs to get himself going, but for me, I could go all night long, and make passes to guys and it doesn't go forward if they're not in good spots to get those passes. When playing with crappy or new line mates, it seems like there's a lot of skating for nothing. And it looks like Bennett is doing a lot of that. It's on him, but at the same time, the line mates all seem to get in each other's way. So while it is on him, it looks like there's just no chemistry. He had a lot of chemistry with Lucic and Dube. While I think it was actually Dube. I just think the biggest problem was not going back to something that was obviously working: Bennett and Dube... A good center still needs a good winger to be in place to have the transitional pass on the way out. If that isn't there sometimes it wastes the centers' ability. Not saying Bennett is a good center, just that Dube does a lot to help out the center and I think Bennett is a natural center. He's a fish out of water again.

6 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Well ya, but Simmonds also needed someone to get him the puck there. That was just as much him moving as it was getting the pass there. And the mistake at the blueline on that play. Have other teams made those mistakes around Bennett? But I get what you're saying, and sure he needs to get himself going, but for me, I could go all night long, and make passes to guys and it doesn't go forward if they're not in good spots to get those passes. When playing with crappy or new line mates, it seems like there's a lot of skating for nothing. And it looks like Bennett is doing a lot of that. It's on him, but at the same time, the line mates all seem to get in each other's way. So while it is on him, it looks like there's just no chemistry. He had a lot of chemistry with Lucic and Dube. While I think it was actually Dube. I just think the biggest problem was not going back to something that was obviously working: Bennett and Dube... A good center still needs a good winger to be in place to have the transitional pass on the way out. If that isn't there sometimes it wastes the centers' ability. Not saying Bennett is a good center, just that Dube does a lot to help out the center and I think Bennett is a natural center. He's a fish out of water again.

Simmonds has more goals or the same amount as 17 players on our super deep,roster. 

2 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Simmonds has more goals or the same amount as 17 players on our super deep,roster. 

Yup! Just pointing out that they’re playing better as a team and it’s not just the one player. He got himself there. 

I just don’t see open lanes like that throughout the bottom 6 and tonight the top 6 looked just as good.

I'm afraid that the txi squad is nothing more than place to store extras, not viable alternatives for the coach to use.

Buddy is a marginal NHL player, but I don't mind having one body like that there.

Kylington and Mackey - what is the point?  They won't get enough time to show they can do the job.

Rinaldo - no freakin comment.

Stone - okay, I won't get upset that we are payng the guy not to be on the team and paying him a full ride to not play for us.  No better/worse then Nessy.

Goalie - needed.

I wasn't a big fan of the squad games used to select the so-called starting lineup and taxi squad.

Guys weren't that good in some cases.

Kylington hadn't played in forever.

Gawdin was injured after a good play-in camp.

Ruzicka was pretty decent but we don't play rookies with only one year in the AHL; forwards anyway.

Zary maybe not ready, but who really knows.

Phillips is too small, and hey nobody plays small players in the NHL.

We've seen this for most/all of last season.

Injury call up means you practice with the team, but don't expect to play over Rinaldo or the flaour of the week D-man from another team. 

We talk about lack of identity or culture here, but I'm not sure what the coach is doing.  Good soldiers that can't handle the NHL trump skills or speed.

No ned to change the NHL roster, since we just need to bear down to win.  Attention to detail.  Emotional investment. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'm afraid that the txi squad is nothing more than place to store extras, not viable alternatives for the coach to use.

Buddy is a marginal NHL player, but I don't mind having one body like that there.

Kylington and Mackey - what is the point?  They won't get enough time to show they can do the job.

Rinaldo - no freakin comment.

Stone - okay, I won't get upset that we are payng the guy not to be on the team and paying him a full ride to not play for us.  No better/worse then Nessy.

Goalie - needed.

I wasn't a big fan of the squad games used to select the so-called starting lineup and taxi squad.

Guys weren't that good in some cases.

Kylington hadn't played in forever.

Gawdin was injured after a good play-in camp.

Ruzicka was pretty decent but we don't play rookies with only one year in the AHL; forwards anyway.

Zary maybe not ready, but who really knows.

Phillips is too small, and hey nobody plays small players in the NHL.

We've seen this for most/all of last season.

Injury call up means you practice with the team, but don't expect to play over Rinaldo or the flaour of the week D-man from another team. 

We talk about lack of identity or culture here, but I'm not sure what the coach is doing.  Good soldiers that can't handle the NHL trump skills or speed.

No ned to change the NHL roster, since we just need to bear down to win.  Attention to detail.  Emotional investment. 

I want Stone’s job! Get to hang out with the guys, stay in shape, play a game I love at the highest level, play in practice and scrimmage... 

by the time I am at my highest salary, it’ll take me 8-10 years to gross minimum wage in the NHL. 

I mean! Imagine him in the highest beer league, he would be a star. Skating with the NHLers is huge! Cant fault him for that. 

a buddy of mine once got to skate with NHLers and Wes Walz was there playing. The skill is unimaginable unless you’re in it. I am sure a bunch of you guys have gotten up to higher levels. So I envy your experience but can see just by reading your posts.

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is exactly what you would want to see them do

even when Rasmus isn’t playing the best that he can play, he always looks like he’s trying. I don’t know if it is his style, but he is always moving the puck. 

I think he could be in line for a letter, if he doesn’t have one yet. He’s growing into one of my favourites because he brings it most nights. 

29 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is exactly what you would want to see them do

I mean I am glad they are taking ownership and looking to get back on track, it's still concerning that this was required only 6 games into the season.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I mean I am glad they are taking ownership and looking to get back on track, it's still concerning that this was required only 6 games into the season.

Maybe, but for a team that really will only be defined based on what they do in the playoffs coming out flat to start a regular season isn't overly concerning IMO. 

59 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

even when Rasmus isn’t playing the best that he can play, he always looks like he’s trying. I don’t know if it is his style, but he is always moving the puck. 

I think he could be in line for a letter, if he doesn’t have one yet. He’s growing into one of my favourites because he brings it most nights. 

He's been a work horse.

He follows Gio's lead a bit too much instead of his own style.

But his skill shines through any system problems.

I just wish Gio would get back to being a defenseman.

Leave the offense to Ras.

Other than that, I think the players needs to talk about what part of the coaching isn't working.

It's not all performance.

Once they hash it out, make the suggestions as a group.

45 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Maybe, but for a team that really will only be defined based on what they do in the playoffs coming out flat to start a regular season isn't overly concerning IMO. 

Normally it wouldn't be as big of a concern but a shortened season and the fact EVERY game is an in division game, basically 4 pt games, the sooner things get addressed the better.

1 minute ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Normally it wouldn't be as big of a concern but a shortened season and the fact EVERY game is an in division game, basically 4 pt games. The sooner things get addressed the better.

This is fair but at the same time it's a 56 game season and they are in game 6 and the top 4 teams make it. It's the equivalent of game 8-9 in a full game season. 

for sure get it addressed, i'm just not sure it's cause for concern at this point. For me anyway, I know others are different. 

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He's been a work horse.

He follows Gio's lead a bit too much instead of his own style.

But his skill shines through any system problems.

I just wish Gio would get back to being a defenseman.

Leave the offense to Ras.

Other than that, I think the players needs to talk about what part of the coaching isn't working.

It's not all performance.

Once they hash it out, make the suggestions as a group.

I'm seeing Ras doing more pinching and joining the rush which considering his offensive talent I wouldn't mind but unless I'm mistaken it seems to be affecting his defensive game. I think iv'e seen him get burnt a few times already.

57 minutes ago, cross16 said:

This is fair but at the same time it's a 56 game season and they are in game 6 and the top 4 teams make it. It's the equivalent of game 8-9 in a full game season. 

for sure get it addressed, i'm just not sure it's cause for concern at this point. For me anyway, I know others are different. 

the cause for concern is that it’s happening every year. It’s a pattern that seems to follow this core group. If it didn’t happen as often as it does I would say it isn’t cause for concern. For sure every year SHOULD be judged differently as it is a new season, but these are habits that continue to persist. They’ve already gone through all the media talk saying this year will be different and how important the playoffs are. Sure the judging is playoffs, but these patterns might be fixed by then, but more often than not teams don’t just change from the regular season to the playoffs. It’s not usually just a switch you turn on or off.

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

the cause for concern is that it’s happening every year. It’s a pattern that seems to follow this core group. If it didn’t happen as often as it does I would say it isn’t cause for concern. For sure every year SHOULD be judged differently as it is a new season, but these are habits that continue to persist. They’ve already gone through all the media talk saying this year will be different and how important the playoffs are. Sure the judging is playoffs, but these patterns might be fixed by then, but more often than not teams don’t just change from the regular season to the playoffs. It’s not usually just a switch you turn on or off.

I don't believe that it is solely this group.  I think it is pretty standard across the league that most teams go through rough stretches every year.  The difference is the great teams keep them shorter and less frequent, this team and core have also had stretches over the years where they do play well.  I get that they aren't giving any reason that this year is different from any other, I get we are tired of hearing what they say, but what they say is no different from any other team really, I mean we'd all take Connor McDavid in a heartbeat, but I haven't heard or see anything different from him during losing streaks or failed seasons than anyone on the Flames.

I know my optimism may sound annoying at a time like this, but if we turn around and win the next 5 I will probably downplay it a bit.  The measuring stick for this group remains what it does to make the playoffs and making noise there.  For better or worse this is the group or players and coaches we will see this year, lets see how the remaining 50 go.

10 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't believe that it is solely this group.  I think it is pretty standard across the league that most teams go through rough stretches every year.  The difference is the great teams keep them shorter and less frequent, this team and core have also had stretches over the years where they do play well.  I get that they aren't giving any reason that this year is different from any other, I get we are tired of hearing what they say, but what they say is no different from any other team really, I mean we'd all take Connor McDavid in a heartbeat, but I haven't heard or see anything different from him during losing streaks or failed seasons than anyone on the Flames.

I know my optimism may sound annoying at a time like this, but if we turn around and win the next 5 I will probably downplay it a bit.  The measuring stick for this group remains what it does to make the playoffs and making noise there.  For better or worse this is the group or players and coaches we will see this year, lets see how the remaining 50 go.

ya, I think it probably means that I should just stop watching because if that’s how it is across the board, it just means the NHL is a horrible product. I just don’t think it should be normalized for guys who are making millions to take time off as often as they do. I just don’t agree with this thinking. Just because it is normal across the league doesn’t mean it should be normal for our team. 

one thing that is different with McD is that he actually plays hard almost every game. He brings it. His problem is he is on the Oilers. 

7 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

ya, I think it probably means that I should just stop watching because if that’s how it is across the board, it just means the NHL is a horrible product. I just don’t think it should be normalized for guys who are making millions to take time off as often as they do. I just don’t agree with this thinking. Just because it is normal across the league doesn’t mean it should be normal for our team. 

one thing that is different with McD is that he actually plays hard almost every game. He brings it. His problem is he is on the Oilers. 

$20m on two guys and they have to shorten the bench to just those two some nights.

McD is just such a good skater that he gets away with so much.

Draws penalties as much as Gaudreau, but has many more moves.

Oilers will never go anywhere becuase the GM has no clue.

Spent all that money this summer on retreads and didn't address the goalie issues.

Signed the most defensive liable D-man out there to improve the defense.

KooKoo is decent, but not a lot different than Nesterov.

Turris is useless.

Neal is nothing without McD.

12 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Start following a new team, your reaction will be the same that I guarantee.  And I know plenty of Oiler fans who would point out McDavid's defensive game as a weakness that is part of the problem on that team.  But when you play sports at the elite level against elite competition, you get stretches.  But we are definitely seeing things differently.  This is all due to them being lazy, poor execution is only a result of laziness gotcha.  If they only work harder the shots and passes that just miss will suddenly hit.  

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Start following a new team, your reaction will be the same that I guarantee.  And I know plenty of Oiler fans who would point out McDavid's defensive game as a weakness that is part of the problem on that team.  But when you play sports at the elite level against elite competition, you get stretches.  But we are definitely seeing things differently.  This is all due to them being lazy, poor execution is only a result of laziness gotcha.  If they only work harder the shots and passes that just miss will suddenly hit.  

It must be tough to be a fan of the AVS.

Always seem like they are contenders.

Have such young promise, but never are able to take the next step.

Usually a fave for the cup.

That must be frustrating.  At least we are used to it.

15 minutes ago, sak22 said:

but how do you account for the lack of skating, starting games halfway through the 2nd or playing the first period and then laying back in the 2nd and 3rd. You’re telling me I don’t know what effort looks like, or when players aren’t putting it in?

the Canadiens played a good game last night, but at the same time the flames didn’t make it harder on them. It was really a 4-0 game. The flames skated a bit in the 1st but after that, it was ridiculous. 

I understand the idea that games will have momentum switches. It’s about the reactions to them, but there’s a difference in that and actual laziness or lack of moving the feet. I am ok with a team pouring it on against us, It is bound to happen, but I can tell the difference when it’s due to that or when it is due to lack of skating and therefore no execution.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It must be tough to be a fan of the AVS.

Always seem like they are contenders.

Have such young promise, but never are able to take the next step.

Usually a fave for the cup.

That must be frustrating.  At least we are used to it.

Add to that if you take their first 6 games they were 3-3, one point better than the Flames with losses to the Kings and Ducks.  We're not on the Avs level of course but they didn't come out flying by any means even with an 8-0 win.

So anyone still think we shouldn’t have signed Toffoil? Man I screamed for him to be signed...now Look!

imagine if we had have signed him:

Gaudreau/Monahan/Toffoil 

Tachuck/Lindholm/Simon

manji/Backlund/ Venio

Dube/Bennet/Ryan 

Lucic spare/taxi squad 

that looks sooo much better and imagine rolling those 4 lines right now nearly equal mins could be spread and keep fresh legs out on the ice all the time.

• Like 1