Jacob Markstrom

Thebrewcrew

I'm not a Benning guy by any means but I actually think he made the right call. As much as i'm enjoying Markstrom right now that contract is going to hurt and had the Flames had a goalie like Demko I would have not wanted to go to the lengths they did to get him either. I don't think the problem lies in their decision to move on from Markstrom it lies in the ability to address the real deficiency of the team. So far here are the 5 on 5 defensive rankings for the Canucks:

8th worst in Corsi against

Dead last in fenwick against

2nd last in shots against

2nd worst in expected goals against

bottom 5 in both scoring chances against and high danger chances against. 

4th worst PK

all of those metrics are carryovers from last year and while I like Nate Schdmit I don't think he is a move the needle type of acquisition. 

The Canucks will get better. Schmidt is still getting adjusted and Peterson is struggling and he'll turn it around but their problems so far are the same as last year, they cannot defend so they'll need to outscore teams. Benning having no cap room, due to bad contracts he handed out, didn't allow him to set himself up very well for the departure of Markstrom. 

7 hours ago, cross16 said:

I'm not a Benning guy by any means but I actually think he made the right call. As much as i'm enjoying Markstrom right now that contract is going to hurt and had the Flames had a goalie like Demko I would have not wanted to go to the lengths they did to get him either. I don't think the problem lies in their decision to move on from Markstrom it lies in the ability to address the real deficiency of the team. So far here are the 5 on 5 defensive rankings for the Canucks:

8th worst in Corsi against

Dead last in fenwick against

2nd last in shots against

2nd worst in expected goals against

bottom 5 in both scoring chances against and high danger chances against. 

4th worst PK

all of those metrics are carryovers from last year and while I like Nate Schdmit I don't think he is a move the needle type of acquisition. 

The Canucks will get better. Schmidt is still getting adjusted and Peterson is struggling and he'll turn it around but their problems so far are the same as last year, they cannot defend so they'll need to outscore teams. Benning having no cap room, due to bad contracts he handed out, didn't allow him to set himself up very well for the departure of Markstrom. 

I think Benning made the right call too.

Demko's playoff performance made the decision for Benning, small sample size but you can't ignore it.

Remember Bennett's sample size vs Canucks as an 18 yr old? We all pegged SB as #1 centre after a few playoff games. It can go both ways.

Do you sign 31yr old Markstrom to 6x6 or do you sign recent SC winner 31 yr old Holtby to 2x4.3 to bridge over to Demko? That was an easy one for Benning.

Their loss, our gain. But for how long? Lets hope Markstrom comes as advertise and with longevity.   

Markstrom and his 0.935 SV% would change most of the Canuck stats you posted above. 

I think Canucks will be fine though.

Not picking on you specifically, just don't know if Benning played it correcty or underbid by $500k.

I've heard both.

They were still working on a deal up to the last minute.

I'm not happy about a 6 year deal for a 30-ish goalie.

It's not buyout proof, but we won't go there.

That is for a GM to have available to get a deal done.

EDM supposedly offered $7m x 5

Thier backup was Holtby in case they didn;t get him.

After that anyone not named Smith.

If Benning made a decision to put potential and fear of losing Demko over potentially similar win/loss under Markstrom, then he could be a genious.

Or he backed the wrong horse.

I just don;t think he made a strategic decision as much as missed out by less than Baetschi's buried cap savings.

I think the Canucks got it right. Both Demko and Holtby can go 1A/1B for the next few years. Demko seems to be pushing the needle and is bound to have a bad game here and there. I thought he played fine against us last night. In the 1st he made some good saves. The Flames PP ended up really beating the Canucks again. The Flames also outplayed them in the 2nd and 3rd and being in penalty trouble takes them away from their game. The Canucks ended up on their heals in the 2nd and that kind of pressure can really affect the goalie. 

I also think that for what we had going for us, we probably made the right call too. How many years away would Wolf be if he does become starter material? 2-3 years, maybe 4? That gives him time to play another year of Jr (Just this year?) Then he plays about 2-3 years in the AHL. Then he comes in and backs up in Markstrom's 5th and 6th year. At least we don't have the albotross of a contract in Florida in Bobrovsky. If Markstrom can provide the kind of goaltending he has so far throughout the season, I think it bodes well. I love how he makes the first saves and is mostly ready for the rebounds!

In discussions with my brother, we talked about what we've been discussing on here, that the confidence a goalie can give the team. I like the demeanour of our group so far. Game 1: 1 of 3 periods effort. Game 2: 2 of 3 periods effort. Game 3: 2 of 3 periods... I think if they can play 2/3 periods effort, it could be good. The other team is going to push, and if the Flames can continue to have the push back that they've shown against the Canucks that will be great. I just want effort. I am okay with losing if there's effort and the bonehead plays are kept to a minimum. 

I heard the radio guys today talking the Canadiens and how they have attention to details. Maybe attention to details can be a result of good goaltending? Let the players do their thing and the goalies do theirs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think the Canucks got it right. Both Demko and Holtby can go 1A/1B for the next few years. Demko seems to be pushing the needle and is bound to have a bad game here and there. I thought he played fine against us last night. In the 1st he made some good saves. The Flames PP ended up really beating the Canucks again. The Flames also outplayed them in the 2nd and 3rd and being in penalty trouble takes them away from their game. The Canucks ended up on their heals in the 2nd and that kind of pressure can really affect the goalie. 

I also think that for what we had going for us, we probably made the right call too. How many years away would Wolf be if he does become starter material? 2-3 years, maybe 4? That gives him time to play another year of Jr (Just this year?) Then he plays about 2-3 years in the AHL. Then he comes in and backs up in Markstrom's 5th and 6th year. At least we don't have the albotross of a contract in Florida in Bobrovsky. If Markstrom can provide the kind of goaltending he has so far throughout the season, I think it bodes well. I love how he makes the first saves and is mostly ready for the rebounds!

In discussions with my brother, we talked about what we've been discussing on here, that the confidence a goalie can give the team. I like the demeanour of our group so far. Game 1: 1 of 3 periods effort. Game 2: 2 of 3 periods effort. Game 3: 2 of 3 periods... I think if they can play 2/3 periods effort, it could be good. The other team is going to push, and if the Flames can continue to have the push back that they've shown against the Canucks that will be great. I just want effort. I am okay with losing if there's effort and the bonehead plays are kept to a minimum. 

I heard the radio guys today talking the Canadiens and how they have attention to details. Maybe attention to details can be a result of good goaltending? Let the players do their thing and the goalies do theirs.

I know that Demko has looked good in his first real season, but I'm not as convinced that Holtby is as good as he was.

As a backup, it's better than Mike Smith, but I'm also glad we didn't target him.

At least it appears we were all or nothing on JM.

With a half decent D in front, I'm not too worried about years 1-4 with JM.

In fact, I think he could still provide quality up to the end.

That's a long time for quality.

There's only a few teams that actually have a good succession plan.

And it remains to be seen if those guys become true starters. 

12 hours ago, CheersMan said:

I think Benning made the right call too.

Demko's playoff performance made the decision for Benning, small sample size but you can't ignore it.

Remember Bennett's sample size vs Canucks as an 18 yr old? We all pegged SB as #1 centre after a few playoff games. It can go both ways.

Do you sign 31yr old Markstrom to 6x6 or do you sign recent SC winner 31 yr old Holtby to 2x4.3 to bridge over to Demko? That was an easy one for Benning.

Their loss, our gain. But for how long? Lets hope Markstrom comes as advertise and with longevity.   

Markstrom and his 0.935 SV% would change most of the Canuck stats you posted above. 

I think Canucks will be fine though.

a goalies save % doesn't change how many shots a team gives up. Their PK would likely be better I agree but the rest of the stats would be unchanged and they remain unchanged from last year too. The Canucks D, again just based on these numbers, would be performing at the same level they did last year and to add to this, right now the Canucks 5 on 5 save % is almost identical to what Markstrom did last year. 

Contrast that with the Flames who are in the top half of the league in all of those categories and in many cases top 10. 

IMO Demko is really overrated, he is an average at best goalie, who had a hot streak at the right time in the bubble.

Markstrom is an elite goalie in this league and will continue to be for another few years. I am thrilled to have him.

If it was a choice between Demko and Markstrom, you go Markstrom every time because Demko isn't a number 1 goalie, he is a 1B at best.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

IMO Demko is really overrated, he is an average at best goalie, who had a hot streak at the right time in the bubble.

Markstrom is an elite goalie in this league and will continue to be for another few years. I am thrilled to have him.

If it was a choice between Demko and Markstrom, you go Markstrom every time because Demko isn't a number 1 goalie, he is a 1B at best.

I don't disagree on him being overrated at the moment, but in comparison Markstrom didn't emerge as a number 1 until he was 27.  Demko can still get there, maybe he gets better or maybe he's at his ceiling, too early to tell.  At the end of the day they'll need to give out massive raises this offseason to two players and will have plenty of holes to fix with limited resources due to previous errors.  Would Markstrom give them a better chance of a few more wins over Holtby/Demko, probably isn't enough to make them a contender?  Probably not.  The playoff run was a nice push for them, but due to their cap management they should go for a couple more years of pain to be better in the long run.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

It looks like we have a Canucks goalie in our net! They almost look like the Canuck colors. The V. I guess the angle down is telling players, "Shoot HERE!"

Canucks fan have said the Flames stole their colours with the way the Flames reverse retro jersey looks haha

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Canucks fan have said the Flames stole their colours with the way the Flames reverse retro jersey looks haha

Yeah, surprisingly, I like the Blasty jersey - I hated it the first time around... but it's not really a "reverse" retro, what, with it being the same colours and all. It just has less red. 

Love. 

12 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, surprisingly, I like the Blasty jersey - I hated it the first time around... but it's not really a "reverse" retro, what, with it being the same colours and all. It just has less red. 

Love. 

I’m thinking the “reverse” on that jersey is the logo on the shoulder. It used to be red, now it’s white. Otherwise, like you said, they just removed some red

• 1 month later...

Sutter has a new Kipper in Markstrom to helm his net. A lot of the focus of Sutters impact on this team has been on the Bennett’s, Monahan, Gaudreaus etc...but I think we shouldn’t overlook Markstrom in this case. With a defence 1st team playing in front of him now we could expect a Markstrom in peak form for years to come. He’s already seing waaaay less shots on net which bodes well for his shelf life and risk of injury. Under Ward he was already being run into the ground and getting injured because of it. We could potentially see Markstrom dominate at the position if things continue at this pace and the belief and confidence grows with this team. 

40 minutes ago, rickross said:

Sutter has a new Kipper in Markstrom to helm his net. A lot of the focus of Sutters impact on this team has been on the Bennett’s, Monahan, Gaudreaus etc...but I think we shouldn’t overlook Markstrom in this case. With a defence 1st team playing in front of him now we could expect a Markstrom in peak form for years to come. He’s already seing waaaay less shots on net which bodes well for his shelf life and risk of injury. Under Ward he was already being run into the ground and getting injured because of it. We could potentially see Markstrom dominate at the position if things continue at this pace and the belief and confidence grows with this team. 

I'd say the quality shots the opponents get are down already too. Once the team sees that that's a route to success, they have to buy in. I was just saying in the other thread that Markstrom isn't very prone to bad goals like say Ritter is and if we limit the mistakes the quality of shots the other team takes will go down. How many goals per game are scored on those giveaways or brain farts alone? Even 1 goal a game can make a difference. Not only are they bad goals, they're backbreakers and momentum shifters. This team has been plagued by this for years. I am no mathematician but a goal or more a game limits the other team to 1 or 2 goals a game on merit rather than us handing it to them is HUGE! 

There will be giveaways, but limiting the amount of them, I have more faith that Markstrom can stop them when there are less of them.

• Like 2