Jacob Markstrom

Thebrewcrew

A thread for Calgary's new #1 goalie. 

The real question.. what number does he wear? Do they let him wear Nieuwendyk's 25? I'm of the understanding that the "Forever a Flame" numbers were to be reserved to be worn by "significant" players only, 36 million with a full NMC likely fits that bill. Previously, he's worn 33 and 35, of course 33 is not an option. 

Anyway, welcome to Calgary!

Wow ok I have to say there are a lot of save that remind me of Kipper...I miss hearing that “Oh what a save” comment it’s been a few years, and I could get use to it...let’s hope our young D don’t disappoint us, Valimaki, Anderson Hanifin if they all step up And play as we hope this could be a very hard to score on Flames Team...offensive is still ? Too but I guess wait and see...

anyway it will be nice hearing that”oh what a save” comment again 😊👍

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 11:58 AM, The_People1 said:

Looking forward to it.  

What if Talbot never had that one blow-up game against the Stars?  What if Talbot can have back a bad 5-minute stretch?  Would we have gone to the Finals?  Markstrom could be the answer.  

In defense of Talbot,  he did some of his best tending in the playoffs which he is known for, and something Markstrom is not known for.

We're also going to have to overlook the fact that Talbot had the better save percentage on a much worse team defensively.     

We will also have to overlook the fact the Markstrom also has blowups (which I won't post here but are plentiful).

I'm going to do my darndest to cheer for this guy, but to say that he's an improvement or worth that absolute decimation of a contract, I probably won't be able to go that far although I'd love it if I could.

51 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

In defense of Talbot,  he did some of his best tending in the playoffs which he is known for, and something Markstrom is not known for.

We're also going to have to overlook the fact that Talbot had the better save percentage on a much worse team defensively.     

We will also have to overlook the fact the Markstrom also has blowups (which I won't post here but are plentiful).

I'm going to do my darndest to cheer for this guy, but to say that he's an improvement or worth that absolute decimation of a contract, I probably won't be able to go that far although I'd love it if I could.

That's fair.  Talbot had a great season overall so let's not discount that.  He was good when we needed him to be down the stretch.  

In Markstrom, we are getting a top 10 in the NHL... I wouldn't say top 5 and he's 30 so it's unlikely he'll ever be more than what he is right now.  This is his peak... But that said, it's nice to have a top 10 for once and one that could stay top 10 for the next 4 years before a decline.

A top 10 goalie is good enough for a Cup.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

That's fair.  Talbot had a great season overall so let's not discount that.  He was good when we needed him to be down the stretch.  

In Markstrom, we are getting a top 10 in the NHL... I wouldn't say top 5 and he's 30 so it's unlikely he'll ever be more than what he is right now.  This is his peak... But that said, it's nice to have a top 10 for once and one that could stay top 10 for the next 4 years before a decline.

A top 10 goalie is good enough for a Cup.

If we ignore his save percentage ranking of ~20th, 

and we ignore his GAA ranking of ~33rd,

and we ignore his playoff ranking of 9th (which puts him in the middle of the pack of playoff goalies),

and we ignore that he got those stats on a very good supportive team with Demko taking a lot of the heavy load,

and we ignore a Whole bunch of rankings, 

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-fantasy-hockey-top-25-goaltender-rankings-pools/c-282860450

https://www.fantasypros.com/nhl/rankings/g.php

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/news/ranking-the-top-25-nhl-goaltenders-in-2019-20/hj7oygi271iw1e74pzbp2ohrw

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27712918/goalie-tandem-rankings-all-31-nhl-teams-2019-20

Then yes, there is a credible school of thought (although disproportionately from Vancouver) in the hockey world that Currently believes Markstrom is top 10, even though 99% of them ranked him ~20th a few months ago.

And yes, we can choose to believe this too.    Some might think what choice do we have.

Well you always have a choice, there is the option of being the incredibly stubborn and difficult person that I am lol.    

reacts gary vaynerchuk GIF by GaryVee

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Markstrom was the sole reason the Canucks dethroned the defending champs. Probably, unfair to say he's not known for playing well in the playoffs because he was exceptional.

By the letter of the law, Talbot's save percentage was 0.1 better, .919 to .918. But you aren't looking at the entire picture, Markstrom started 43, Talbot 22. Markstrom faced 1420 shots, Talbot 780. The Talbot sample size is that of a good backup, Markstrom's is that of an elite starter, hence being 4th in Vezina voting.

I will agree, Markstrom is prone to bad goals, it's a thing with bigger goalies. They struggle with the bad angle shot between the knee to ankle, it causes them all kinds of difficulty. Seen this with Markstrom, Bishop and Rinne over the years.

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Markstrom was the sole reason the Canucks dethroned the defending champs. Probably, unfair to say he's not known for playing well in the playoffs because he was exceptional.

Markstrom was a contributor to that cause but to call him the sole reason or even exceptional can't be taken seriously.  Exceptional is 60 minutes of shutout or a couple games at 1 GAA.  If he was exceptional in that series (not saying he didn't have good games) it was in a way which wasn't reflected in his save percentage or goals against.  I don't see him having a single exceptional game in that series and to say otherwise is disrespectful of goalies who really do shine and deserve it.

Canucks won the first game 5-2 and the last game 6-2.  Despite the Vezina voting I think you'll find the Blues weren't exactly blaming him for their losses.

Markstrom's going to find Vezina voting goes a little different in a marketplace the size of Calgary.   Talbot has the same 4th-place Vezina voting back from when he played in a big city and it didn't stop us from turning on him.

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

But you aren't looking at the entire picture, Markstrom started 43, Talbot 22. Markstrom faced 1420 shots, Talbot 780. The Talbot sample size is that of a good backup, Markstrom's is that of an elite starter, hence being 4th in Vezina voting.

Talbot has had many many NHL seasons with Far more games than 43 and much higher save percentages than what is being discussed here.    Yes, he had that stint with Edmonton (we have a thread about Edmonton), and yes he did have that injury, so we'll never know if he couldn't handle the workload or if the Flames were being incompetent (but I have a guess).

Talbot beat Markstrom by a more noticeable margin in the playoffs but because Calgary is historically Savage with goalies we'll toss him out and bring on a guy who did worse for mega bucks and this is not even surprising anymore given the number of times stuff like this has happened.     By the way if you add up Talbot's regular season and playoffs that's 36 games, pretty much same sample size as that 43 and better results.

The only solid arguement against Talbot now is that he's "old", but that arguement goes out the window with a 6x6 signing of a 30 year old.

Playing 43 games is not impressive and to say "played 43 games hence Vezina", when his numbers rank him in the bottom half of NHL goalies, is not really a defendable statement.  But if the number of games is how we're judging it, a quick look at the history will show you that Talbot is your man, hands-down.  Beyond-elite ;)

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

?? Isn't every save technically a "goal prevented"?

While technically yes, these models will normally give different weighting to different chances (ie more weighting on high danger chances) so they don't assume that every shot is the same. 

So in short, the Canucks were really bad defensively and Markstrom carried them. 

1 minute ago, CheersMan said:

What's the story line on that number?

It must be something... he's worn it with VAN, FLA and internationally with Sweden. Not many goalies are signing up for that number lol.

There's an article on the Athletic, I no longer subscribe.. but from what I can see is his minor hockey options were 1, 25 or 30 and he simply opted for 25.

32 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It must be something... he's worn it with VAN, FLA and internationally with Sweden. Not many goalies are signing up for that number lol.

There's an article on the Athletic, I no longer subscribe.. but from what I can see is his minor hockey options were 1, 25 or 30 and he simply opted for 25.

Nieuw raised the bar high for that number. Here's to Markstrom bringing respectability back to #25, 25 years later.  

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 2:58 PM, cross16 said:

Kevin Woodley runs InGoal Magazine. He's a big fan of Markstrom and for his model he's lead the league in the amount of goals he prevented over the last 2 years. 

Duuude.

I understand the desire to shine a more positive light on this and I do apologise for being ill-equipped for that task.

But when you present Kevin as being in charge of a magazine none of us have ever read you could At Least Mention that he is in fact a Hired Vancouver Canucks reporter to prevent vomit reaction from anyone who knows or looks him up.  Also that he's even more high on Demko than he is on Markstrom.  His educational background being a flat zero in stats.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Duuude.

I understand the desire to shine a more positive light on this and I do apologise for being ill-equipped for that task.

But when you present Kevin as being in charge of a magazine none of us have ever read you could At Least Mention that he is in fact a Hired Vancouver Canucks reporter to prevent vomit reaction from anyone who knows or looks him up.  Also that he's even more high on Demko than he is on Markstrom.  His educational background being a flat zero in stats.

If you’re not a goalie then sure, makes sense you haven’t heard of ingoal. Its very well known in the goaltending community. It’s not a magazine, it’s a website but they churn out quality content. 

https://ingoalmag.com/magazine/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Duuude.

Love or hate the choice, I guess we will see.

You can probably find a lot of negative about going with Talbot or Rittich from last summer.

For 1/2 a season Rittich was better than most expected.

To close the season and playoffs, Talbot was much better than a lot expected.

I'm not going to sit here and say that we improved our defense by leaps and bounds....

But we don't have Hamonic and Stone (yet?) to sink any goalie behind them.

We will have some new guys that could do some things we lacked (shot blocks or being allowed to walk to the net).

It's possible we end up a worse defensive team, but I would say it's still going to be better than what Markstrom had in VAN. 

5 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Duuude.

great example of why I mute your posts and will continue to do so. 

Great post once again to bring absolutely nothing to a conversation but to criticize someone and just find a way to be negative. Happy to see I’m not missing out on anything. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

great example of why I mute your posts and will continue to do so. 

Great post once again to bring absolutely nothing to a conversation but to criticize someone and just find a way to be negative. Happy to see I’m not missing out on anything. 

well an you're absolutely right that I'm too critical and one of my goals this summer is to soften up on Markstrom to give him a chance.   

If I Absolutely feel the need to call you or anyone else out with facts, I may do so and it's not personal but in this instance it was in my mind called for.  So we're clear for how much you frequent the site, muting people doesn't really accomplish anything.   All you can do is choose to mute out facts, or not.   And yes I came on strong here but gsus.

6 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If you’re not a goalie then sure, makes sense you haven’t heard of ingoal. Its very well known in the goaltending community. It’s not a magazine, it’s a website but they churn out quality content. 

https://ingoalmag.com/magazine/

Yeah never heard of it, and I believe you, but possibly another factor is that it's Vancouver-based (now that I look closer).

When we keep trying to convince ourselves of this move and the only way we can is by pulling Vancouver media, it does, need to be said.

That said I will cheer for the guy and hope for the best.  it's not Markstrom's fault.  this is BT's fault.

13 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Yeah never heard of it, and I believe you, but possibly another factor is that it's Vancouver-based (now that I look closer).

When we keep trying to convince ourselves of this move and the only way we can is by pulling Vancouver media, it does, need to be said.

That said I will cheer for the guy and hope for the best.  it's not Markstrom's fault.  this is BT's fault.

The three possible goalies that actually have a chance at being a starter were Hotby, Markstrom and Murray.

Or you give up a 1st for Keumper and that was when he might have been available.

Murray - by your standards is not a good goalie and should have been avoided.  We did.

Holtby - not impressive other than winning a cup on a team that finally hit their stride.

He wasn't even the starter to begin with.

Markstrom - remains to be seen if he's any better than what we have had in years.