UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

He probabaly got it from Freidman and Lebrun where I got it .

Ya saw that.. good grab for a 3rd round pick...  See we just need to be patient and hit these desperate teams 

Funny, because Ek was taking credit for it, suggesting WPG moves him for Roslovic and trades Laine.

I would be looking at Roslovic.  He doesn't have leverage, but will not sign in the Peg the way things are going.

We could fit him in without a lot of trouble.

Sign a bridge deal or just give him a number that works.

Would solve the RW situation and would allow us to play him with Bennett and Dube or use Mangiapane with Bennett and Roslovic in the top 6.

Offer Kylington and a pick.

We seem to be adverse to playing him as it is.

1 minute ago, FlameFan4Life said:

So now the question is was adding Nate worth the 1.5 mil increase to Tanev.  Nate misses time 3 years in a row and his point difference is not much considering his different teammates and his role.

He is a good Dman..  but even tho he's been playing the right a lot, he is a LHS 

18 minutes ago, FlameFan4Life said:

So now the question is was adding Nate worth the 1.5 mil increase to Tanev.  Nate misses time 3 years in a row and his point difference is not much considering his different teammates and his role.

Here is what the Canuck fans are saying.

https://forum.canucks.com/topic/394907-trade-golden-knights-trade-nate-schmidt-to-canucks-for-2022-3rd-round-pick/

18 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Schmidt is easily worth that difference. Canucks just got a pretty big upgrade over Tanev and did it for pennies. Pretty nice move for them. 

Gotta admit tho still annoys me teams let them off the hook.

Yes you can get a damn good player for cheap.. but teams gotta start making them pay for it..toss in a good prospect  or pick with that player 

29 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Gotta admit tho still annoys me teams let them off the hook.

Yes you can get a damn good player for cheap.. but teams gotta start making them pay for it..toss in a good prospect  or pick with that player 

I felt that way about Stastny but not this deal. Canucks picked up a top 3 dman on a very solid contract for basically nothing. They made out just fine. 

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It's an idea that's been tried before.  Gaudreau isn't comfortable on RW.  Stop trying and play him on his strong side.  Tkachuk seems more comfortable with the switch so maybe that's our answer right there.  Tkachuk on RW may be a permanent thing.  Dube also seems comfortable on RW.

If you can send me some links or clips where he doesn’t look comfortable on the right side I would love to see it.

This is a highlight I picked at random that shows a couple examples where he attacks from the right side

19 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

If you can send me some links or clips where he doesn’t look comfortable on the right side I would love to see it.

This is a highlight I picked at random that shows a couple examples where he attacks from the right side

Pretty much every winger has tried the right side because of need.  Gaudreau probably played 5 full games there last season.  Of he as comfortable then I think we would've never put him back on RW.  Actions speaks louder than anything else.

In theory, sure, I agree he should be smart enough but feels is feels and that comes down to the individual.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Pretty much every winger has tried the right side because of need.  Gaudreau probably played 5 full games there last season.  Of he as comfortable then I think we would've never put him back on RW.  Actions speaks louder than anything else.

In theory, sure, I agree he should be smart enough but feels is feels and that comes down to the individual.

He played on the RW on the power play in the playoffs and made some really good moves

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Funny, because Ek was taking credit for it, suggesting WPG moves him for Roslovic and trades Laine.

I would be looking at Roslovic.  He doesn't have leverage, but will not sign in the Peg the way things are going.

We could fit him in without a lot of trouble.

Sign a bridge deal or just give him a number that works.

Would solve the RW situation and would allow us to play him with Bennett and Dube or use Mangiapane with Bennett and Roslovic in the top 6.

Offer Kylington and a pick.

We seem to be adverse to playing him as it is.

Problem is he feels he's more than 3rd line material and local rumblings had him expecting to be 2C when little went down. He played some time there and did fairly well but the Jets ended up going with Copp. Now with Stastny there he'll bee looking at 3C at best, most likely 4C. He is a very good player but I feel if he doesnt play where he wants (2C) you wont get everything you can out of him.

I hear all the griping at BT, but I've come to realize this offseason that many players just don't want to come play here. It wouldn't matter if it's BT at the helm, or someone else. As one of the few teams with cap space, we still knew early on that AP wasn't going to come here - hence the Tanev signing before the AP signing. And speaking of Tanev, he's here because he was willing to come here. It's quite evident that our pool of eligible RDs was a lot smaller than all the ones that were available. If a player doesn't want to come here, he aint coming. And this is what you do when options are limited.  

Happy to have Markstrom and Tanev. 

Wished we could've had Eichel and Hall. Maybe you need an Eichel type here to lure other players to Calgary. I'm still sour on that one. 

1 minute ago, lou44291 said:

I hear all the griping at BT, but I've come to realize this offseason that many players just don't want to come play here. It wouldn't matter if it's BT at the helm, or someone else. As one of the few teams with cap space, we knew early on that AP wasn't going to come here - hence the Tanev signing before the AP signing. And speaking of Tanev, he's here because he was willing to come here. It's quite evident that our pool of eligible RDs was a lot smaller than all the ones that were available. If a player doesn't want to come here, he aint coming. And this is what you do when options are limited.  

The Petro negotiation was, 1. Vegas 2. Golden Knights 3. Las Vegas, those were the suitors . 

I really don’t think he considered anything else. It has been rumoured for weeks that was his top destination if he left St. Louis. So I don’t think it’s so much players don’t want to come here. Petro is an exception where he had a destination in mind, players generally sign with the team that offers the most money, Neal left Vegas for an extra 750k a year, Lucic left LA for something similar. Vegas and LA are better lifestyle places than AB, but money talks.  The reason Markstrom isn’t an Oiler is the Flames offered a higher AAV.

Then I look at Hall, the Flames were rumoured to be in on him, but if 1yr of Hall is worth 8, what’s 2 or 3 years look like? The Flames probably couldn’t afford it and it would paint them into a corner where they’re selling Hanifin off for a 3rd like Vegas did with Schmidt. 

13 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The Petro negotiation was, 1. Vegas 2. Golden Knights 3. Las Vegas, those were the suitors . 

I really don’t think he considered anything else. It has been rumoured for weeks that was his top destination if he left St. Louis. So I don’t think it’s so much players don’t want to come here. Petro is an exception where he had a destination in mind, players generally sign with the team that offers the most money, Neal left Vegas for an extra 750k a year, Lucic left LA for something similar. Vegas and LA are better lifestyle places than AB, but money talks.  The reason Markstrom isn’t an Oiler is the Flames offered a higher AAV.

Then I look at Hall, the Flames were rumoured to be in on him, but if 1yr of Hall is worth 8, what’s 2 or 3 years look like? The Flames probably couldn’t afford it and it would paint them into a corner where they’re selling Hanifin off for a 3rd like Vegas did with Schmidt. 

I don’t think Petro is an exception. I think most players have an idea where they’d prefer to go. Then again, perhaps Petro wasn’t the best example, but when players are flying off the board left right and center, and we’re griping about “damn! I would’ve paid him that!” We’re operating on the assumption that that player would’ve accepted the exact deal to play here. I strongly feel that isn’t the case. 

As for Hall, no doubt in my mind he wanted to come here and would’ve taken less money to do so, if BT was able to free up some more cap after the G and D were taken care of. Besides, I don’t blame him one bit for taking the money Buffalo threw at him AND getting to play with Eichel. 

36 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Hall was looking for $60M, there were no takers. So he regroups and takes the biggest one year offer out there, plus a chance to play with Eichel. He will aim for the fences again next year in FA.

23 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

I don’t think Petro is an exception. I think most players have an idea where they’d prefer to go. Then again, perhaps Petro wasn’t the best example, but when players are flying off the board left right and center, and we’re griping about “damn! I would’ve paid him that!” We’re operating on the assumption that that player would’ve accepted the exact deal to play here. I strongly feel that isn’t the case. 

As for Hall, no doubt in my mind he wanted to come here and would’ve taken less money to do so, if BT was able to free up some more cap after the G and D were taken care of. Besides, I don’t blame him one bit for taking the money Buffalo threw at him AND getting to play with Eichel. 

Hall has made a few stops around the league now, he understands its a business. He is in his prime and he's not given anyone discounts. I could see him signing another 1 year again next year in these uncertain times.

39 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Hall was looking for $60M, there were no takers. So he regroups and takes the biggest one year offer out there, plus a chance to play with Eichel. He will aim for the fences again next year in FA.

Hall has made a few stops around the league now, he understands its a business. He is in his prime and he's not given anyone discounts. I could see him signing another 1 year again next year in these uncertain times.

Hall is a #1 overall lucky charm.  Sabres did very well here.

2 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

He played on the RW on the power play in the playoffs and made some really good moves

Well PP is a different beast.  

One thing to note is that his special move is the button hook so playing RW changes his whole approach to zone entry.  He's also a pass first player so it's better for him to be on his forehand on LW.  Back hand passing is harder.  

9 hours ago, lou44291 said:

Absolutely. The exact reason no trade lists exist. As far as I'm concerned if the league truly wants parity NMCs would be either all or nothing because I'm 99% sure most of the short lists are very similar.

18 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Absolutely. The exact reason no trade lists exist. As far as I'm concerned if the league truly wants parity TMCs would be either all or nothing because I'm 99% sure most of the short lists are very similar.

I wonder if a situation could ever arise where, say all teams go to one bubble location for a season thats maybe half a year.  Since all players just play in one location, dump all players into a draft and empty all rosters.  Then draft from scratch per reverse snake ladder system and fill all team rosters for a shortened season.

5 hours ago, lou44291 said:

I hear all the griping at BT, but I've come to realize this offseason that many players just don't want to come play here. It wouldn't matter if it's BT at the helm, or someone else. As one of the few teams with cap space, we still knew early on that AP wasn't going to come here - hence the Tanev signing before the AP signing. And speaking of Tanev, he's here because he was willing to come here. It's quite evident that our pool of eligible RDs was a lot smaller than all the ones that were available. If a player doesn't want to come here, he aint coming. And this is what you do when options are limited.  

Happy to have Markstrom and Tanev. 

Wished we could've had Eichel and Hall. Maybe you need an Eichel type here to lure other players to Calgary. I'm still sour on that one. 

Yes, I agree lot of players don’t want to play for Canadian team because Tax issue and smaller market.  Look Taylor Hall, so much for money doesn’t matter and winning is important.  Then he goes to Buffalo for more money and possible not winning.  We still need to upgrade our team.   I don’t really see that we are getting better because the addition, maybe we are even worse on blue line.  We add no fire power on forward and we probably lost PP QB and PK ability as well.  So I am not sure that BT is thinking, because I don’t see the current team is anywhere near as playoff team.  There are only 2 good RW left, Hoffman and Dadnov from Florida.  I am not sure if we have any money to sign them.  Lot of teams got upgrade this year for really cheap and short contract, and I am not sure why we couldn’t do any of it.  Maybe as you said, nobody wants to come to play in Calgary.  Seriously, nobody also think we have chance to win Stanley cup with current lineup.  So BT, still got lot of work ahead you, make some magic, we need some scoring front and back.  

I don’t think Hall and heck maybe even AP were even given a serious look at by BT, we know Hall said that there was no pitch from Cgy...

this leads me to believe BT focus on just 2 FA’s and done.  A mistake? Maybe, Not

making an effort for Hall I think was but wait and see cap tight teams may become exposed to having to let go some good players which may max a trade value for us...maybe? 

what we do know is more work needs to be done, we have a huge offensive lack, especially with Brodie being him as he generated a lot from the back end and our RW is still very thin, and as far as being tougher in our own end, Tanev helps yes but he’s only one player who is prone to injury so it’s not totally resolved, but definitely improved. On that note, I could live with and it may be easier if we could find another but obviously cheaper stay at home D that can move the puck, and then worry about the RW holes don’t offensive hole that route.  Maybe we have some young guys in the pipe line who can do this and are closer to the NHL than we think? 

I will say this, VCR clearly wanted Tanev back, so they went out and Got Schmidt from the kings but it cost them about another mil per season to do it and it’s a long term contract.   So the more more I read about Tanev the only thing I don’t like about him is his injury issues, but that has to be expected from the way he plays.

Archived