UFA 2020, Who’d You Sign?

robrob74

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Our D looked great without Hamonic, come on.  Hanifin looked reborn with Andersson.  They were a stud second pairing.  Overall though, still wasn't a Cup winning group.  Now you saying we straight drop Brodie and then replace Forbort with someone much more expensive in Tanev.  Tanev is our 3rd pair RD? No he's clearly going to be top 4 guy.

Okay so who will replace Brodie?  Andersson?  Then who replaced Andersson?  

Our biggest d weakness was missing Hamonic .

Aside from Forbort who can't handle high minutes ..we lost in scrambles . In close.. where blocking a shot again and again is key.

That is Hamonic's game .. Tanevs game ..  the only one we had who played that game in the bubble was Forbort..   right shot..defensive D...  That's not Brodie..it's Hamonic..  and Tanev is an upgrade to Hamonic 

As of the moment ,  it's likely 

GIO  - Anderssen

Hanifin - Tanev

Valimaki - Petrovic + other rotators 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Be interested to hear what other teams were offering but I imagine it’s a case where they teams he wanted to go to either didn’t have the cap space or weren’t willing to come up to his price. Picks one of the best chances he has to rebuild his value and take another chance next year. 

bit of a stunner for sure. Too bad as I feel this is a missed opportunity for the Flames. See if there are some trades up their sleeves but I’m not optimistic we’re going to see much change at forward now. 

Only scenario here that makes sense ..

Is he takes the one year deal..they pitched him on a plan to start going all in to win..and he's given them one year to prove it ...

He gets to play with an elite center ..

So after all of this are we any better? We have better goalie, worse d and same slack Hash Rate forwards... yup big changes in Calgary. The Markstom deal I get, the Tanev deal I can understand but the value is to high. Unless they get a top 6 forward to assist the top line, next season will be a waste 

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

BT normally comes in after he's done and talks about completing the roster.

Either there is more to come or he's contemplating some trades.

I mean, we haven't done anything with the forwards at all.

Other than a healthy Tkachuk, we are the same 12F minus Janko and Rieder.

I have no interest in watching a 4th line of Rinaldo-Ryan-Buddy.

And the magic of Lucic-Bennett-Dube will not last for 82 games.

I think it is time for a new GM this was a waisted yr if this is it I don't understand his thinking it is a fact that doing the same thing as the yr before becomes pour stupidity we barely made it pass the qualifying round against a beat up Jets team  now we lost Brodie Rieder and I guess Hall is not interested in coming to Calgary we are spinning our wheels going no where fast. What do the ppl on this forum thing of BT is it just me or is it time to blowup the management  

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Must be backing up the Brinks truck for Hall. Doesn't make much sense for the player IMO, they have a ton of holes

So, my dream comes true - for another team. Eichel and Hall are going to be lethal together imo. And frankly, I’d do the same if I were him. He gets to pocket more dough than he was likely thinking he’d get, he gets to play with an Elite center, he gets a NMC so he gets to choose where he’s going at the TDL if Buffalo isn’t in the playoff mix, AND he gets to be a free agent again and do it all over after the season. 

Jack(Eichel)pot! 

I hate to think it could’ve been us... 😒

Expected a quiet day from the Flames. Still need to deal with Breadeater’s arbitration #, plus Kylington too boot. There’s still plenty of time for a trade to transpire but I think Treliving is petty much done in free agency. Atleast we got “the” goalie! I’m not passing judgement until we have a final roster and we’ve played some games but so far it’s not looking like we can say we’re a better team. 

There have been changes indeed and it appears we’ve finally shored up our net but our defence is still incomplete and our forwards group is the same that failed to get us past the 1st rd again. Tempered. Expectations. 

Changes need to be made with the forward group, plain and simple and we all know who those forwards are.  So far, I have seen nothing done from BT that will drastically change things.  Markstrom is a slight improvement but not by much in my opinion.  Giordano has to go but we all know that wont happen either.  This team as it stands is still the same Jekyl and Hyde team that all fans complain about year after year.  There is still some time, so Brad, go ahead and prove me wrong.

I think we should target Evgenii Dadonov. A weakness of this team is zone entries, Dadonov is elite at zone entries. He is also very skilled. He would be a great fit.

If we wanted to go with a far less reliable player, but cheaper we could go with Athanasiou, he is also elite through the neutral zone and gaining the offensive zone, he just lacks the vision and hockey IQ to do anything with the puck once he gets in the zone.

Hoffman is also pretty good, just not as elite at zone entries as Dadonov.

Toffoli showed ok in Vancouver, but that was a small sample size. In LA he was below average.

9 hours ago, tmac70 said:

So after all of this are we any better? We have better goalie, worse d and same slack Hash Rate forwards... yup big changes in Calgary. The Markstom deal I get, the Tanev deal I can understand but the value is to high. Unless they get a top 6 forward to assist the top line, next season will be a waste 

funny I was just thinking the exact same thing just be fore I read this...it’s a perfect summary of the state of the team 

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Next summer. 

We will get both Eichel and Hall.

Lol nope BT is just not interested omg getting any kind of superstar for this team...I’m shocked and a feel a bit betrayed they BT May not have the best interest of this team After hearing he basic didn’t even bother making an offer to Hall!

unless he has something brewing in a wow type trade I’m no longer confident in BT.   This is very disturbing to hear...just to be clear BT did not even try (submit a zoom pitch so same thing)!!!!!!

the worst part of the Hall to Buf signing I get the sense he wanted Cgy to make an off I offer..1 year deal? Waited till late Sunday to pull the trigger...I get a sense he’s have signed a 4or5 year deal or maybe longer at 6.5 aav 

anyway, hi this debacle mess up, dropping of the ball on Hall by BT, what if any options are out there that BT could do that would make up for this? A power drier line RW? Are any available? cause I will say this Toffoil and or Hoffman etc are nowhere close, the are a distant plan b kinda bandaid or

patch filling a hock approach so suggestions? 

What I would assume to be an inexpensive patch job would be:

- Corey Perry RW (if he’ll come) for PP2 net front presence and shenanigans. 

- Frolik RW (if he’ll come back) for familiarity, PK, and the fact he doesn’t hurt you defensively. 

Not sure we’d be in the running for anyone else of significance and I’m not sure I want to hitch my wagon long-term to any of them. 

5 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I think we should target Evgenii Dadonov. A weakness of this team is zone entries, Dadonov is elite at zone entries. He is also very skilled. He would be a great fit.

If we wanted to go with a far less reliable player, but cheaper we could go with Athanasiou, he is also elite through the neutral zone and gaining the offensive zone, he just lacks the vision and hockey IQ to do anything with the puck once he gets in the zone.

Hoffman is also pretty good, just not as elite at zone entries as Dadonov.

Toffoli showed ok in Vancouver, but that was a small sample size. In LA he was below average.

Spot on about Dadonov.

Quietly one of the best fwds available imo.

6 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Hall only made sense if the Flames could move Gaudreau. That tells me that the Flames don’t have any good offers on Gaudreau or at least didn’t get any future based deal.

baring a real wild card trade, like Stamkos for example, I think the Flames will be done. They don’t have the cap space to add and I’m not seeing a trade for them that’s going to clear significant cap space. 

I like Dadonov as a player, although the Flames can not afford him now, but I don’t think he addresses the Flames need. I don’t agree they have a problem with zone entries they have a problem with forechecking. 

my problem with the Flames forwards, and in particular their top line and their 4th line is neither can forecheck or play a north south game Because they don’t have enough players that can retrieve pucks and get physical on the opposing D. This gets exploited in the playoffs where this type of game is necessary. 

I don’t see this as part of Dadonov game so while he is a fine player I don’t think he’ll fix that. 

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Hall only made sense if the Flames could move Gaudreau. That tells me that the Flames don’t have any good offers on Gaudreau or at least didn’t get any future based deal.

baring a real wild card trade, like Stamkos for example, I think the Flames will be done. They don’t have the cap space to add and I’m not seeing a trade for them that’s going to clear significant cap space. 

Unfortunately this is true, we are handcuffed by a few bad contracts Ryan is a bit too high for what his role is, granted at the time it was reasonable but not it’s a bit too high, Ritter’s contract for a backup is a bit high, as a rotation goalie it’s not bad but when you have a clear starter at 6m 2.5m is too much it’s 1/10th the cap space spent on one position which on the surface isn’t bad but limits flexibility in other areas, ideally you want to be a bit under this mark for all Gs

the big albatross is obviously Lucic which was a BT move to try and fix a very bad signing...and now the loss of Janks, Reider and Brodie 

seems he has fixed one position in G at the expense of the D

and has failed to leave any hope to help the Forward lines, which arguably is weaker with the loss of Janks and Reider 

I do believe BT has painted himself into a corner here and laid all the teams success on Markstrom or bust...not a great game plan IMO

added to that he seems to be thinking out your youth in favour of 30+ players so we are getting older not younger again🤔

he’s pretty much taking this team to an older, lack of prospect, salary cap jail again! 

im definitely getting tired of this, when are we gonna get a GM that can plan and also keep us out of these situations? sure the Hanifin/Lindholm trade was good but wasn’t a home run move so it only buys you so much rope, to which he is at the very end 

42 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Unfortunately this is true, we are handcuffed by a few bad contracts

I would not agree with that and that was not the intent of the post. I think the Flames have 1 bad contract on the books right now and it’s Lucic. Sucks but every team has at least 1. 

the point about Hall was opportunity cost and not financial cost. It only made sense to bring in Hall and move Gaudreau because they share the same spot in the lineup, top line LW. Bringing in Hall at his cost to be arguably their 3rd best LW would have made no sense even if the Flames had the cap space to do it.

37 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Unfortunately this is true, we are handcuffed by a few bad contracts Ryan is a bit too high for what his role is, granted at the time it was reasonable but not it’s a bit too high, Ritter’s contract for a backup is a bit high, as a rotation goalie it’s not bad but when you have a clear starter at 6m 2.5m is too much it’s 1/10th the cap space spent on one position which on the surface isn’t bad but limits flexibility in other areas, ideally you want to be a bit under this mark for all Gs

the big albatross is obviously Lucic which was a BT move to try and fix a very bad signing...and now the loss of Janks, Reider and Brodie 

seems he has fixed one position in G at the expense of the D

and has failed to leave any hope to help the Forward lines, which arguably is weaker with the loss of Janks and Reider 

I do believe BT has painted himself into a corner here and laid all the teams success on Markstrom or bust...not a great game plan IMO

added to that he seems to be thinking out your youth in favour of 30+ players so we are getting older not younger again🤔

he’s pretty much taking this team to an older, lack of prospect, salary cap jail again! 

im definitely getting tired of this, when are we gonna get a GM that can plan and also keep us out of these situations? sure the Hanifin/Lindholm trade was good but wasn’t a home run move so it only buys you so much rope, to which he is at the very end 

I admit not even pitching Hall is disappointing, but with a clear head I get it .

After signing Markstrom, which I applaud , the only way it happens is moving Johnny. 

But it also meant moving Johnny for no money back.. that means picks, no players..maybe some not ready prospects without one way deals . We would have hated the return .

I would have liked Reider back, but word was we offered him similar terms but in Buffalo he will get the chance to play higher up the lineup on a regular basis.. can't blame him or BT for that.

I don't miss Janko as he was healthy scratch most of the time , and when he was in the lineup not all that effective 

Nobody is harder on a player than their own fanbase .I unfortunately know a lot of Canuck fans . They are all broken up over the loss of Tanev. They were ok losing Markstrom due to the money and Demko..but losing Tanev has them totally PO'd. I've heard more than once give him 10 games and we will be happy to have him ..he will make us forget the loss of Hamonic 

Our D really has not taken a hit.. with the prospects etc..I'd just like to see what 7-9 looks like . If the price comes down I hope we're still in on Gustafsson

I'd like to see us get Czarnik back for another chance. Never really got a fair shot under Peters. Got off to a great start last year before he got hurt and with all the Covid stuff never got back in..tore up the A instead .

I like Hoffman as a target , except..somebody pointed out he's a sniper .. he's not a driver .means he needs a good set up center to be effective.. sound familiar? There's a risk of Neal 2.0 there 

Archived